• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 7,501 Views, 357 Comments

A New Beginning - Falinov



In the distant future an 0-2 Marine is sealed away attempting to survive the fallout of a M.A.D strike between two super powers to find a world unlike his own.

  • ...
44
 357
 7,501

Chapter 2 Shell Shock Awakening (Revised)

Author's Note:

Yay! Another Down! 1/30/22!

Happy Belated New Year!

<><><><><>Chapter 2: Shell Shock Awakening.<><><><><>

Revised 12/27/21 - 1/24/22


With an intense gasp I snap awake the scratches on my pod are not there- however I manage to introduce my face into it with a sudden jerk forward. With a yelp, I clasp my nose tightly as I feel a trickle of what I assume to be blood quickly I put pressure on the nostrils and tilt my head back.


“Pod Cycle Sequence Engaged- Suspended Animation cycle time is ….. Nine-Nine Nine-Nine; Critical Error detected. Pod locks disengaging in-


"Three”


“Two”


“One”


At first, both of the glass sliding doors open until one gets stuck halfway and slams open shattering into a million pieces sending fragments everywhere. I shield my eyes before rolling out of the pod and hitting the floor; for the first time I take a slow breath of air- I was expecting a pleasant gasp of fresh air- only to be greeted with an extremely pungent odor of rot and decay; I nearly gag from the awful stench as I cover my mouth with my hand.


I take two of my fingers and try to clear the slight blur to my vision, eventually, I see the pod is giving off an almost “completely done for” blue glow, However, the control panel shows that the pod has exceeded its running protocol by nearly a thousand times over there are multiple error codes their code numbers show a complete system fault being present, however, somehow the data is accurate up until it froze and broke. Among the errors is a proxy warning stating that the system cannot begin the pod cycle after the predetermined thawing period.


‘I know it's a bad time but- you’re alive? Congratulations for at least waking up and still having that little voice in the back of your head.’


Should I be ecstatic that my consciousness is still bothering me…


‘………’


Thought so.


Taking a moment to look around I see the photo of ash still in the pod. It ripped slightly when I rolled out of the pod. Dusting off some of the glass shards that are still on me and pinching my nose at the same time I scoop it up and put the photo into my pocket for safekeeping.


With another examination of the room I feel for a light switch I finally find one in the fold-out kitchen area- I flick it up and much to my surprise a couple of lights buzz on for a moment to reveal the place is an absolute dump. Everything - and I mean everything's a mess there's multiple inches of dust everywhere, cracks in the ceiling moss on the floor rotting couches. Even the blankets I used to cover the couches are rotting and falling apart.


A moment later the lights buzz out and another explodes, adding yet more glass to the gradually increasing amount on the floor. Now it's pitch black and I haven't a clue what, when, and where I am. With careful footing and the sound of crunching glass under my boots, I try to look at the pod for any sort of indication of what year it is suddenly I feel a really bad migraine begins to take over.


The panel flickers but with a firm smack on the side it lights up fully. I carefully go through the logs, the touchpad barely responding to my finger as I try to scroll through the records.


“Cryostasis engaged 2050, Stage 1 check-in at 2055. Failed- Emergency disengaged deployed - Malfunction detected- Patient vitals stable- Override engaged, resuming to stage 2.”


From there on the message is repeated over 400 times before it finally shorted out and simply gave up recording the data, the errors started cropping up around 200. With a slight chuckle I shut the panel off disregarding the records; because if I am to believe the data- that would put me to sleep for a whopping 2000 years.


“Bah- that piece of shit broke years ago. I’m gonna go outside and see that maybe a decade has passed by and structure returned to the world.” I say with confidence as I feel around my surroundings. Unfortunately not looking very well because not a moment later I get my boot caught on what I suppose is a loose cable or something because not a microsecond later I am busy eating shit, face-first into the moldy concrete.


"Ow! You son of a motherfucking-" I curse to myself as I pick myself up off the floor and feel around for a suitable surface to help get myself off the floor at this point my nose is gushing out the red stuff real fast as I can hear the pitter-patter of it dripping on the floor. With a bit of luck, I manage to feel around and find the leg of what I surmise to be one of my dining room chairs. With some effort I get myself up only for the chair to crunch under my weight- and suddenly I find myself once again on the floor.


“I swear to fucking god I am going to kick the shit out of whoever made that fucker.” I get up slowly grab what's left of said chair and throw it against the wall with enough force to shatter it the rest of the way.


“Bitch.”


‘YEAH, you tell that chair whos boss!’


By now my vision has started to adjust to the very dim lighting, the only thing keeping it from being completely black in here is the pods currently failing systems.


Feeling around some more I finally manage to locate the wall and make my way to where I stored my shake light. With some rummaging around I finally get my hand on it and give it a whirl only to find it not working.


"Well… that's inconvenient."


With a disappointed sigh, I feel my way to the lower door that leads to the stairs to the surface- I eventually find them and instead of walking up to them I gradually crawl up them and save my body from any more “owwies”.


I feel around some more this area is completely blacked out, I find the handles and with a deafening squeal one of them unlatches and some unknown debris falls on my face- I presume to be rust from the latch. With a good firm grasp on the second handle, I yank with all my might, the handle buckles and starts to bend.


"Oh don't you fucking dare." I sit down and take my boot and with the most powerful curb stomp, I can muster I kick it sending the handle open and snapping in two.


"This piece of shit…"


'now can you get it opened…'


I brace my shoulder under the heavy door and with a huge grunt, I start to put my weight into the massive reinforced door. At first, it doesn't budge but with a second attempt, I see a tiny crack of sunlight. A glimmer of hope, I continue my damnedest to press into it until finally It gives way and swings open; unfortunately not before my shoulder cracks from being pushed out of place with a very awful sounding popping noise.


The lid swings open as I grasp my shoulder in agony, the door slams onto the ground as the power of the sun blinds me with such force I nearly fall back down the stairs from whence I came. I shield my eyes for a moment the sun is so bright I can see red in my hands- at first, it looks like it worked, I indeed was put into sleep long enough for the nuclear winter to dissipate.


Eventually, my eyes adjust enough to where I can blink and see my surroundings; my house is… gone. Everything from the neighborhood homes to the shattered remains of their homes is completely gone- replaced by massive trees. My bunker is squarely inside a convenient spot where the trees left a hole in the canopy for light to pass through.


I'm in utter disbelief, there's not a trace of civilization here- perhaps there's something nearby, and simply this area was marked as a hazard zone and nature has simply reclaimed the area.


"This...this can't be right. I was supposed to be asleep for 20 years. Surely a forest this large couldn't have sprouted that fast. Surely not


With another look around I try to find any indication of civilization in the area- with that being said I look back down the flight of stairs I crawled out of I can see the moss and overgrowth sprouting from the cracks in the floor.


'Maybe the pod wasn't mistaken about how long we were asleep.'


God, I hate this fucking voice in my head, can you shut up.


'Hey, don’t hate me just cause I’m beautiful, maybe if you were a little saner I wouldn’t be here to keep your sorry ass company.'


I walk down the stairs back into the shelter I reach into the closet where I stored the flashlight and grab my bayonet knife from the back it's still wrapped up, I quickly undo the wrappings and see the outside leather is degraded- but the knife itself is mostly spotless of rust, clip it to my side, besides it in a gun rack is the rifle I found- if it's been 20 years or longer… the odds of the ammo being usable and stable enough to shoot is extremely low. For now, I'll stick with my knife and hope for the best, a glance down at my watch- which is still somewhat functional indicates it's around 17:00. (5 PM)


With no other options and the day coming to a close I climb my way back out of the shelter and look at the ominous dark forest.


-Side note, I've always had a fear of forests and this is about as bad a nightmare scenario gets for me.


With some hesitation, I take a step into the woods, my hand over the handle of my blade. It went from suddenly extremely bright out to moody dark the moment I wandered in. If my sense of direction is correct to the left of my bunker is where my base was. That should be due South. From there I can have at least an educated guess as to where to head.


As such, I venture deeper and deeper into the forest Hoping upon hope I find something or a way out of the forest. Unfortunately, it isn't meant to be, I take a misstep and fall into a large puddle of mud, thankfully not my entire body but my legs up to my groin are now bogged with mud.


"Great…" I hoist myself through it and continue on my way making progress onwards lucky me I come across a pretty wide river- which… I don't remember being there before anyways I walk into it only to find it's up to my knees deep, enough to get the mud off, after oh I don't know thirty-ish minutes I got most of the mud off, and with the help of a nearby tree and a good run up and a whole lotta pain; I pop my shoulder back into its socket before continuing. The forest however seems like it's getting darker and I am finding no indication or visual cues. Quite suddenly a branch snaps to my immediate right and left in the brush reorienting my attention to my surroundings.


That branch is followed by a low pitch growl as I look around there are at least two hostiles here, I draw my blade out and keep my body oriented to the sound not giving them a clear shot at my exposed back. The growl only continues to get more intense as I continue backing up keeping my guard held high shielding my face with my arms and keeping the knife blade facing out ready to strike if need be. In an instant, silhouettes of what I presume are wolves leap out of the clearing towards me with such ferocity that I am already on the ground before even having the split-second chance to defend myself.


The one directly on top of me snaps in my face using one of my arms I push into the crest of its neck only to find that the fur on this thing is so coarse it seems to puncture my skin as I try my hardest to keep this thing off me. Using my one free arm I land the knife into what I presume is its head and suddenly as fast as it had come to kill me the thing quite literally explodes into a million pieces- after seeing its buddy being dealt with it seems to lose interest rather quickly as it turns tail back into the forest its whimpering getting distant quickly. I pick myself up and dust off and sheath the knife into its holster and turn around back the way I… came?


“Ah which direction did I come from…” I say to no one in particular my voice echoing in the clearing, Picking any direction at this point I resume my quest to find any civilization.

<><><><><>Approximately an Hour Later.<><><><><>

“Uhg… This is hopeless…” I plop down on a tree stump after what I presume to be at least an hour or more by now I can’t tell with hardly any light in this shitty forest. It also was not a good thing that I encountered whatever the hell that was in the forest earlier. Some light managed to shine through the treetops revealing my arm to be soaked in blood and tree branches sticking out of my skin, some of which are a few inches long; really bad splinters the adrenaline wore off a short while after the encounter...


My attention is brought out of my thoughts as my watch beeps to let me know supposedly another hour has passed by.


“Fortune favors the bold; what a load of bullshit.” I pick myself up again and push onwards in a straight path, unfortunately, I haven’t found a single landmark from where I came, I presume I am going in another direction entirely. I continue trudging over roots and vines until I see a bright light less than a hundred or so feet away. Instantly my stamina picks up I take off full sprint for the opening I leap through the clearing into a lighter forested area and a small stream that goes into the forest.


A glance around at my surroundings, the trees make way to what appears to be a dirt pathway leading what I presume to be.


‘Civilization… At last.’


At this point I take a good long look at my arm which has no less than a dozen sized branches in it from whatever explosive was used on me; with better judgment, I decide to endure the agonizing pain and press onwards and find someone who can patch me up. Surely medicine by now has improved vastly. With a smile on my face, I follow the dirt path coming to a stone bridge that goes over the stream, I cross it quietly I see a ton of horseshoe imprints on the ground, perhaps this area has now become more urban and has been turned into an agricultural area now- at this point, I also notice what looks like solid lines paralleling the hoof prints signifying horse-drawn carts?


I stop and kneel examining them closer- the prints are fresh.


"What the hell is this- Somethings not right here." Despite what I see, I shrug it off surely there's a reason that can explain this, perhaps this area is now Amish or something.


I get to the crest of the hill and find to almost my shock and horror, thatch-roofed homes in what I can only describe as something straight out of a fantasy land gone wrong. A village made of stone and thatch rooves and architecture that looks like it came back in style from the 1600s- and paint that would make you vomit from the mere sight of it. Not only that but the only thing moving around the town at this exact moment are mini horses- I guess you’d just call that a pony then. Loads of small ponies wandering around the area. Some seem to be conducting business or something as they go about their day.


At this point I am at an utter loss for words; completely baffled by what I have stumbled on. Perhaps maybe twenty years in the making the mutations of animals have made them more useful perhaps that's all that has survived and humans are using them to help in the rebuild.


You can’t keep denying that something isn't right here. Not since what we saw and heard in that pod. You cannot keep ignoring that.


I clasp my head as a powerful and extremely painful pulse of pain courses through my head as an ear-splitting headache takes over, so bad is this pain I cannot even begin to comprehend what's going on. The pain is so bad I almost feel like I am about to keel over from it, I put my injured arm on a nearby tree to support myself and breathe for a moment. I take my other hand place it on my head and yank on my hair to try and take my attention off the excruciating pain of the headache and move on. Sadly this only results in a little bit of relief before resuming full force.


“I can’t keep this up much longer at this rate...”


I once again for least the umpteenth time today pick my sorry ass up from the tree and limp into the town fearlessly pressing onwards; hoping upon hope to find another human, yet all I find is a bunch of curious equine eyes staring at me some seem utterly horrified at what I can only guess is this broken man limping through the town with blood, mud, and other unnamed crap smeared all over him.


I don't know why but it looks like some of them seem to be communicating; I can’t tell as I am fixed on trying to find another human of ANY kind. I am so hellishly bent on this one task I fail to notice the obscenely pink pony trotting beside me with a smile on her face. Once she catches sight that I have noticed her she immediately zooms in front of me walking backward keeping pace with me which honestly at this point isn’t that hard.


"HI, THERE!" This pink monstrosity shouts with utter glee- in PERFECT English, catching me completely off guard. As a result of the shock, I instantly reel back in horror falling squarely on my ass and kicking my feet to get distance from her. With my one good, arm I reach around and try to pull my knife out but it's now firmly stuck under me as this pony gets close to me again craning its neck.


“You alright stranger? You don’t look so good…” She attempts to get closer to me only resulting in me frantically moving further away in an attempt to create distance between us.


“Stay BACK; you monstrosity!” The adrenaline kicks in again I use my bad arm and push myself up pushing a few of the sticks into my arm deeper into their wounds causing more bleeding enough to start pooling on the ground underneath it. Now I have access to my knife I reach around and pull it out baring my teeth in defense I see at this point much to my dismay there are no humans nearby at all.


“Do not take a step further...”


Mister you’re injured-” its ears fold down as its look shifts to one of concern as it looks me over wincing visually.


“Not… A step.” I back up slowly at this point the other nearby ponies seem to take notice and fear starts to spread in the crowd eventually not more than a minute later it spreads to widespread panic most of them scatter and shut the doors of their respective hiding holes the pink pony takes one step towards me I use my boot to kick up dust from the ground in its face, catching her completely off guard as she now cannot see she wobbles and in a panic screams at the top of her lungs; probably thinking I was going to hurt her as soon as I blinded her.


With a swift slashing motion of my arm, I get the now abundant excess blood off my arm and with haste, book it back to the forest at full speed not looking back at full very painful sprint white-knuckling my blade the whole way. I practically leap into the forest and only then do I start to calm down and take a moment to mull over what just happened; I lean against a nearby tree that I still have a view of the trail; with any luck, I did my best to minimize the blood trail as I ran.


“I’m not insane. No… I cannot be; that pony was not communicating to me in perfect English; Nah… That pod said there'd be side effects.” I mutter to myself trying to remain calm amid my retreat I can hear the distinct sound of hooves pounding the ground in the distance- I presume local law enforcement or some sort of military force trying to apprehend me.


I don't think so…


‘I’m not crazy…’


You are crazy.


‘SHUT UP.’ I stab the tree with my knife firmly embedding it in the trunk I slide down the trunk and sit there for a while looking at the brush around me.


At this point my arm is starting to burn, with my other hand I feel my arm- at this moment it feels like it is on fire as the dull achy pain compounds with the obvious stabbing pain from the branches. If I don’t find treatment, and soon there’s a good chance this will get infected not to mention the blood loss while not severe right now will eventually catch up to me if left untreated- although not an ideal situation; It may not be a good idea to go anywhere until the sun has set and the darkness allows me the ability to move.

<><><><><><><><><><>

I managed to find some leaves and branches and made myself a temporary shelter that I can at least camouflage myself in and with some effort I turned the vines into a rope that I both used to tie my shelter together and although not ideal, with so many deep wounds across my arm; using my teeth I tie some around the uppermost point of my arm creating an improvised tourniquet enough to slow the bleeding until the wounds clot up and not too tight to severe flow completely.


I manage to lay in silence and try to snooze- rather unsuccessfully- much to my misfortune the sounds of the forest and high winds billowing through the trees kept me wide awake, and the prominent fear that the smell of blood may attract other predators to my location keeps me wide awake. My trusty knife is in my hand as time slowly creeps by. Eventually close to a couple of hours have passed, the wounds on my arm appear to have clotted up and stopped perpetually bleeding, in addition despite the pain being damn near unbearable the sun is starting to set allowing me the opportunity to start making my way into town for some much-needed recon.


Even though I don’t morally agree with it I must find supplies to help patch myself up, luckily no one has come looking for me yet which is a good sign that no one has found my blood trail leading directly to me; at least not yet anyway.


With the moon fully risen and luckily for me a full one at best there's enough light for me to navigate the darkness and make my way back into town. With the utmost care and with a short piece of vine I weaved into a rope I tie it around my mouth so if I bump my arm and inflict pain upon myself I at least will dampen the noise I make as I snoop through the area.


That being said my nose stopped bleeding and formed a massive and nasty blood clot in my nose which I promptly blew out so I could breathe again probably not the most ideal situation but with all my training and what's left of my worn down wits I begin to recon the area around the town and with some luck I manage to find a hospital or a clinic of some type given the giant red cross on top of it.


With care, I make my way around it and investigate it thoroughly for any sort of guards or security which for a hospital seems to be a lack of. There are dozens of windows all around this building peering through just about all of them on the bottom floor and with some luck, I manage to find one that opens, albeit there’s a sleeping patient in the room…


With no other options and some effort, I open the rather squeaky window and wedge myself through the floor showing me zero mercy as it creaks under my weight the patient doesn’t seem disturbed; that or it is unconscious, as the pony is wrapped thoroughly in bandages around its waist and two distinct nubs, the bandages are slightly bloody from what I can see.


With great care not to disturb this sleeping pony, I inch my way over to the door, and quietly I open it leading into the hallway I look around some dim lights are coming from lanterns that give off an eerie glow as I walk down the hall; with some investigative skills I find a closet with all the medical supplies I could ever ask for; at that moment I hear hoof steps approaching outside I quickly move into a dark corner as a candle floats by the door as two ponies dressed as nurses walk by the prominent red cross on their bodies. They are having a casual conversation.


“I’m going to go check on Tempestas. You got upstairs tonight?” The female nurse walks with her compatriot.


“Yeah, I got upstairs this shift. Luckily not a lot of activity this week.” She says with glee as they both go their separate ways. With a renewed sense of haste, I grab a few bottles, pop the cork of one and take a small sniff, the pungent odor of alcohol wafts into my nostrils making me quickly regret my decision to do so.


I put the cork back in and grab a couple before finding a neatly packed tray of needles for stitching wounds. I take what I can carry filling my cargo pants with as many medical supplies to the point of overflow. I shove a couple of bottles of alcohol into my side pouches keeping them safe and from falling out of my pockets. With that sorted, I proceed to creep my way out of the storage room I see one of the nurse ponies come out of the room I came in from- presumably this “Tempestas” fellow they were talking about earlier. Thankfully the nurse goes up a flight of stairs at the opposite end of the hallway as I sneak into Tempestas’s room and once more wedge myself through the window to safety.


With renewed haste and vigor to dress my wounds, sprinting as quickly and quietly as my legs can carry me; I whisk by the center of town by now there is a small unit of ponies in golden armor and black chrome-looking armor shining under the moonlight. They’re talking to a few civilian ponies, out of curiosity I hide in the shadow of a building nearby quietly eavesdropping on them.


“The thing was much taller than any other creature I’ve seen in my life.” It exclaims with fear. “It threatened Pinkie Pie with some sort of short-bladed weapon- It looked like it knew how to defend itself- I think that he’s frightened and wounded, therefore dangerous if you corner him.”


“Any other information you can provide us, ma’am?” A rather gruff voice asks.


“It stood on two legs and was able to move quickly, I’m almost positive it came out of the Everfree forest.”


“Alright, if we need any more information we will find you; Thank you- Alright guys I want a perimeter started here and work our way out to the forest. I want every stone, tree, and river checked with a bucking magnifying glass if that is what it takes, We find this beast tonight!” The male soldier clad in gold armor points the rest of the armored ponies immediately start scouring the area.



‘Everfree forest huh…’


Having heard enough I hear a loud swooping noise followed by the clattering of something very metallic. I look around the corner from the darkness and see several more ponies land in the square, this time two very tall ponies with two distinctive colors start talking to the lead soldier.


… Time to go.


‘Yep.’


With renewed haste once more I make my way to the “Everfree Forest” and quickly return to my temporary shelter, this time I cover it some more with leaves and branches to conceal it better before putting my newly acquired supplies on the ground. Looking at my arm the blood has dried thoroughly and is flaking off, I retighten my improvised tourniquet slightly whilst using my teeth to pull the cork off one of the bottles.


Lastly, I thread a few needles getting them ready to be used; lastly, I reach above my head and break a branch off the tree above my head I take it in my mouth biting down on it squarely I place my knife in the fire while I pour a ton of alcohol over my arm- instantly burning sensation rockets up my arm sending chills through my back as the pain intensifies tenfold. As I cope with the searing pain, I inhale through my nose rapidly in and out before I take the knife out of the fire.


The tip of the very edge of the blade is now a dim red as it begins to smoke from the heat I breathe in through my nose again taking as deep a breath as I can. Clamping my teeth on the branch, I shakily hold my hand just above the wound hesitantly before sinking the tip of the blade into the wound, immediately tip of the blade fizzles as the heat burns my flesh and cauterizes the wound as I proceed to dig fragment from my arm, my immediate reaction is to scream in pain; the branch muffles it as I keep pressing onward as I slowly remove the fragment from my arm, the pungent odor of burning flesh and wood permeates the air around me.


In excruciating pain as my eyes water immensely as I pull a four-inch splinter out that’s the width of a pencil out of my arm; the wound starts to profusely bleed now there’s a wide-open hole in my arm the pain so intense that my hands become unsteady. I take one of the bottles and splash it over the wound; in sheer agony once more as the alcohol vacates the blood from the wound. Taking one of the curved needles and begin to stitch the wound closed, using my knife to cut the thread and tie a clean knot on the end.


When it’s all said and done I lay against the tree stump to my back spitting out the branch in my mouth allowing myself to breathe wiping the tears from my eyes as I wrap a bandage around it packing it tightly to promote clotting.


“One down, many more to go…” I say to myself as I resist the urge to down some of the alcohol I used on my arm.


‘It’s going to be a long night.’

<><><><><>Several agonizingly painful branches later.<><><><><>

With the last branch fragment removed from my arm and stacked on top of the others, I finish sewing the last wound closed, taking a small rag and soaking it with alcohol I wipe the area off again before bandaging it repeating the same steps over, and cleaning the rest of the crusted blood off wincing as I keep powering through. Finally wrapping my arm in a thick layer of bandages and removed my improvised tourniquet.


Although my arm is immensely sore boarding complete numbness I can move all my fingers without issue so the branches seem to have avoided going deep enough to inflict any serious muscle injury so at least there is that. Then again the adrenaline could be hiding any more pressing injuries. Time shall tell-


Pushing the gathered branches I used to build my little hideaway, I step out of my operating room taking a step out into the cool breeze, I stretch my back out before looking around my eyes steadily adjusting; admittedly the cool breeze feels quite nice on my injured arm and is also helping with the swelling.


I take look back into my temporary shelter grabbing my knife and wiping any blood off it before returning it to the holster and with some confidence I proceed to head back towards the town to see if they’re still looking for me. I make it exactly one step before I hear the telltale crack of a branch snapping, I didn’t feel a branch under my feet; I slowly look down towards my feet; there's a perfect bit of light from the moon above illuminating my foot- and a non-existent branch.


‘Ah hell.’


My heart rate increases I can hear it rapidly start to beat as I once again call upon my blade as I scan my surroundings as my adrenaline for the umpteenth time today picks up once more as my fight or flight instincts kick in again. The sheer terror I feel right now not knowing where that sound came from and not being able to see a thing other than small patches of light through the treetops. I’ve been in multiple combat scenarios with many different parties and nothing is scarier to me than not being able to see the combatant and to boot not knowing if they can see me clearly or not.


Immediately I notice that the moon is illuminating me slightly, I step backward into a shaded-out area allowing my eyes to adjust further hoping I can maybe catch a glimpse of the hostile-; No luck.


At that point I book it out of the edge of the Everfree into the clearing; stumbling slightly I get to my feet as I proceed to continue running- at least until I run into what I can describe as running headlong into the equivalent of a brick wall. Except it isn’t a brick wall, Gathering my senses I return to my feet quickly only to be at eye level with one of the ponies from the village square. Two bright and VERY pissed-off cyan eyes pierce my soul as it motionlessly stares me down.


With caution I back away slowly as it unfolds its wings and puts them up behind it making it look enormous- I presume it's trying to perform a scare tactic-


Spoiler alert. It’s working.


I think we should run?


‘Time to go!’


I turn on my heel and book it back towards the forest tripping over roots and tree stumps as I leap into the forest at full speed- at that very moment, an enormous blue laser pierces multiple trees leaving a gaping smoldering red hole, through half a dozen solid trees. One falls over from being almost completely cut in half.


‘New Plan, Run Faster.’


I keep running only for that thing with wings to plow through the trees like a hot knife through butter crushing them a power I have NEVER witnessed before, her eyes glowing as a spike on her head- wait a second.


‘No way… Is that a uni–’


I duck as another beam barely flys past mere inches from my cheek the very presence of that beam leaves a flash burn I can feel immediately setting in on my cheek as I blink in utter horror as this mythical being is truly trying to kill me right now. What even are the odds of this happening. Meanwhile this magical motherfucker is already charging for another shot, the poor trees behind me now having multiple holes through them.


At this point my thoughts are moving a mile a minute as I think of any plan of action; no amount of training I’ve ever had in my life prepares you for this- I continue running as fast as I can, much to my dismay I trip on a large rock, large enough to send my sorry ass to the ground, frantically I struggle to push myself back to my feet, scrambling to get to cover and get away from this being as it almost tauntingly crushes large tree branches in her way to sending splinters every direction.


"Giveth yourself up foul beast…" Her voice booms and practically commands great power.


‘Hard PASS’


I get to my feet and with my dwindling courage, I shoulder bump her putting the full weight of my body into her making her stumble and lose focus buying precious seconds to book it past her, leaving her in the forest as I follow the trees with glowing holes in them. I leap through the clearing I collapse to my knees breathing hard to the point my chest is hurting immensely as I start coughing from lack of oxygen.


Suddenly the unicorn slams into the ground in front of me imbedding her silver horseshoes firmly into the grass directly in front of me, now with the moonlight over her I get a good view of her; her wings are fully extended and drooped down wide the slight breeze ruffling the individual flight feathers as she has a look of sheer irritation absolutely and understandably plastered across her face.


“I beg thee… Try that again… I beckon you.” She aims her horn down slightly it’s glowing bright white ready to send another one of those beams at me. I remain silent apart from the occasional cough, I can’t say for certain but I know the look on my face is probably one of mixed terror and awe of the situation. Here I kneel before a creature described in ancient mythology and I’m about to die to it, or maybe they’ll imprison me.


“I… Yield. Mercy.” I collapse and lay on my back trying to breathe as I wait for the outcome of this situation.


Much to my shock, her horn stops glowing as her wings fold in before she circles me looking me over curiously her eyes squinting like she knows something or perhaps she senses something off.


“You are capable of speech?” her wings fully fold to her sides as she continues to circle me.


I do. I’m struggling to do so.” she’s upside down for me as I ask her a question. "How are you talking; how are you a real thing right now," I ask, immediately she stops for a split second, her face adopting a look on her face akin to being offended by the mere question.


"All pony kind have the ability to converse." The brief explanation is accompanied by a stare, the moonlight illuminates her face, really accentuating her facial expressions. She's appears offended that I asked. However, before I can get another word out, she asks me yet another question.


"Where from which do you hail?"


“Somewhere where you aren’t capable of speech,” I say with almost venom in my voice that shows her I am in no mood for a casual chat... Unsurprisingly she squints her eyes her offended expression evolves into one of mild annoyance. However, interestingly there appears to be something else in those eyes… Curiosity perhaps?


"We have not seen a being like your kind since we were banished,” She sits looking rather regal as she continues to look at me. “It has been many moons. It was believed your kind was deceased from the world if my memory serves.”



Hey, it's your subconscious here… Might be a bad time but; wouldn’t you agree that- perhaps the pod was reporting the correct length of time...?


"Whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?" I ask as I work up the energy to sit upright not facing her. "Follow on the question, why? Why are you hunting me?"


"We art ‘Princess Luna, Sister of Princess Celestia and co-ruler of Equestria and its surrounding territories.” Her wings unfurled slightly ready to pounce on me if I try anything. “Sister and I were informed locals that a creature of unknown origin wandered into Ponyville this afternoon- you frightened an entire town and threatened harm upon one of our subjects.”


“Tis not just that, you managed to frighten one of the noble element bearers. A feat we consider offensive in its own right…Truthfully, we have been observing you quietly from above since you emerged from your sanctum; you are an impressive being to be able to heal thyself.” Her voice shifts to one of admiration.


“To my credit your highness, she got too close to me, and having no understanding of what you people are I am less than inclined to feel bad about defending myself-;. While injured no less.” I turn to face her, my eyes squint as I feel my cheek- which at this point hurts immensely.


"Did we inflict injury?" She steps closer trying to get a closer look at my cheek; I reactively scoot away from her. “We can heal-” I cut her off.



"I think you’ve done enough to me tonight.” Her ears seem to fold to the top of her head while maintaining her stoic facial expression.


‘Does she… feel bad?’


Best not dwell on that…


"Are thou certain?" she says, giving me a questionable look.



"I'm fine. Frankly, I’d rather tend to myself than have you do so right now.”


Harsh much…


‘She tried to kill us with lasers.’


“Thou hast not answered thine question… Where did thou come from…” She reiterates the question, remaining stoic.



“Weren't you listening? I couldn’t tell you as I don’t know anymore either. Home I guess? I don’t even know where that is.” She puts a hoof under her chin-scratching it curiously as she continues to look on.


"Thou is quite… Perplexing. I cannot set my hoof upon how long it has been; Star Swirl the bearded was alive helping the last of the Terran species. It is safe to assume that your kind went extinct…"



"I'm sorry, but that simply can't be possible… There were once billions of us that roamed the world and you’re telling me that the entire population has simply; vanished? Died? Eviscerated? Pardon my skepticism highness, but that is bullshit...”


“We could be mistaken; Thine banishment has only just recently ended. We are vastly out of time. I will have to consult mine sister for insight…”


"Whatever you say highness…" I sit down before easing myself to laying on my back looking up at the clear sky above the stars above are quite dense you can see many clusters of nebulas and other constellations I have never seen before.


My body at this point has tapped out completely as my eyelids start to become heavy I hear some rapid hoof steps approach but at this point, I am simply too weak to fight whatever is coming.


"Terran!" I feel something cold on my chest shaking me. It's too late to try and keep consciousness.

<><><><><><><><><><>

I stir slowly, my vision is cloudy at first I panic because my eyes are open but I cannot see a thing. I feel around only to lay my hand on something firm yet soft like silk-.


'Oh no.'


"Thou is awake!" I am instantly taken into an embrace that is both soft and rock-solid as she hugs the absolute piss out of me.


"c-nt; breth- air!" I tap her with my arms which are starting to burn from pain. She gets the message and stops as she gently sets me down.


"Apologies, we sincerely thought you had moved on…" I still can't see, but I inhale deeply, my vision slowly coming into focus the moon has moved down dimming the surroundings.


"How long," I ask meekly.


"Tis been two hours, thou must be incredibly injured."


"Don't suppose you are capable of making a fire. It’s so dark out I can’t see." Instantly her horn illuminates the area around her as she zaps a set of logs in and zaps it shortly thereafter setting them alight instantly. Of course, this startles me as she simply lays down allowing her wings to rest on the ground as she warms herself.


"How the hell did you do that?" I scoot towards the fire.


"Mine Magic? My memory slips, but couldn't your kind bend magic as well?"


"No! Absolutely not!" I stammer as I put my hands out to warm myself; my body starts to shiver in a desperate attempt to warm itself, which causes more discomfort and itching from the wounds all up and down my arm.


"How did thou get those wounds…?" She cranes her head looking me over in a better light.


"Some wolf-looking fucker went and tried to make a meal out of me. I declined and killed it- something exploded and sent fragmentation wood everywhere, my arm happened to be in the way…"


"Timber Wolf." She casually says.


"Timber what-" I stammer.


"A cursed creature created by a chaos deity; they thrive in the forest…"


"You're killing me here, highness."


"It thrives off permanent chaos magic and binds wood branches to form a body for itself. Hence a Timber Wolf…They do not hunt for food, they hunt for sport. Impressive you fought one and destroyed it with ease."


I glaze over every word she just said, only acknowledging the last part with a nod.


'what kind of fresh hell did I wake up to.'


"Hmm…" she looks at the fire quietly before looking at me again. "Do you require food?"


"If you happen to have some." I don't even finish the sentence before an audible pop sound catches my attention as she floats over a plate of fruit nonchalantly without a care in the world, a dark blue glow around the plate as she sets it in front of me.


"Telekinesis?" I reach pick it up and examine the plate for tomfoolery.


"A unicorn's most basic spell is moving objects at whim. A pegasus can fly at incredible speeds and a normal earth pony knows the soil and possesses strength."


"What does that make you then? I thought you were just a unicorn but you have both."


"They refer to those who have both as an Alicorn." For the first time, she smiles as she bites into a bright red apple with a satisfying crunch.


"Mine turn to ask thee some questions…" She gives me a look as she shuffles herself to the other side of the fire beside me still floating that apple beside her.


"How did you end up here?" She lays on her belly her wings drooped down as she stares intently into the fire.


"I had to choose between slowly starving to death or taking my chances with a machine."


"Machine?" She cranes her neck to look me in the eye. "Elaborate"


"I don't think you'd understand if I told you; it put me to sleep for a long time, I had to take the chance and decide between dying from starvation or the machine killing me in my sleep peacefully, that's it."


"I apologize…" She puts the apple down and lays her head flat on the ground. "Deciding between the two greater evils is a treacherous path… it looks like you chose wisely."


"I don't know about that." I look over down at my bandaged arm.


"Nonsense. Life is sacred and you should be grateful to see the light of day once more. Such a gift is not a given right…"


"I guess. I get to witness the beautiful night sky; I've never seen them so clearly the smog used to hide their beauty."


"Thank you." She suddenly says smiling she flips her mane over her head despite the hair itself being stationary the color is moving as if there's a wind billowing it.


"Beg your pardon?"


"I arranged those nebulas into that pattern tonight." She says casually without explanation. I just blink before returning my attention to the plate. I grab the grapevine and eat them. They're extremely sweet and ripe, vibrant in flavor. If they grew here perhaps these beings have done what humans couldn't and healed the planet.


"We assume you are confused?" I stop snacking on my grapes, returning my gaze to her; oddly enough she giggles at the sight she puts a hoof in front of her mouth.


"As the princess of the night it is my job to adjust the constellations each night; that includes the phases of the moon."


"I'm sorry did you just tell me you can move whole celestial bodies?" She simply nods as she gestures at a bright star that flickers in the distant universe. Her horn glows before shooting a beam into the sky. There's a slight delay, but she tilts her head slightly that star suddenly starts moving drastically right before my eyes, my jaw instantly drops at how she casually just flung a molten ball of fission many light-years away.


She could have wiped our ass out of existence without breaking a sweat…


'I'm scared.'

<><><><><><><><><><>

Unfortunately after another hour of casual conversation- as casual as you can be about something like this anyways; Princess Luna had to return to the capital city of Canterlot, whatever or wherever that is- like I’d know where that is. Despite her absence before she departed she was kind enough to fly over the trees and look for my bunker, she didn’t find it and could only provide me a compass to help direct me, however, she warned me that at night the creatures that reside in that forest become ten times more powerful, and timberwolves won't be the only thing I’d have to watch for- if you call being able to see in the pitch-black that is.


Despite this, she offered to bring me back with her to Canterwhatever it was- of course not knowing what these ponies intend for me I declined and opted to sleep in a pile of leaves and branches with a campfire. She was kind enough to not force the issue and conjured a blanket for me to use to stay warm- which is where I am now, staring up at a sky full of stars with a small fire hidden behind trees with a shelter made of branches I snagged from the Everfree.


My life’s at an all-time low even by my standards- but I suppose for now it could inevitably be worse, for now at least it seems like there’s no radiation or immediate death. Despite the outcome not being what I wanted, I am alive and I am grateful to a certain extent.


Still, things are, without a doubt, confusing. Everything I’d once known of science to technology has decided to leap out the window; moreover, evolution has been passed onto mythological ponies. I mean, of all the damn things in the universe, it had to be ponies

<><><><><>Sunrise Next Day<><><><><>

I shoot forward knocking a blanket off my body as I gasp for air, startled awake from a nightmare. For the briefest moment, I thought it was all just a dream until I notice the smoldering fire beside me and my bandaged arm. I hoped upon hope that it was all just a dream-


‘I wonder if they have therapists here?’


I’d need an insane asylum for the amount of shit that life has decided to drop on my lap; all semblance of logic I know has seemingly packed up and decided to leave me to what's left. Opting to do my best not to think about it, I shrug it off and stand up leaning on the tree as I stretch my back cracks multiple times, probably from the poor sleeping conditions I have subjected myself to.


“I need food and water,” I grumble.



A short walk towards town, I come across the stream I found yesterday, flowing with crystal clear water as it makes its way downstream. I weigh my options, I have no way of boiling this water to remove any parasites, but the water doesn’t look terrible enough to worry greatly and at this point, it’s this or venture into town again and get pelted with rocks.


Without any other options, I kneel beside it taking a good long look at my reflection, these last few- conscious weeks have taken their toll on me, I now have a fairly good start on a beard and my features are rougher than I recall- only exacerbated by the fact I’m covered in mud, dirt, blood, and god knows whatever else that black shit is on my brow. Returning my attention to the water I cup my hands and scoop some out enough to take a sip; it tastes clean, not that it would help me if something was in it, but still, water is water, and clean drinking water is as positive of an outcome as I can hope for.


I scoop as much water as I can and gorge myself fully. Finishing, for the time being; cupping my hands together I splash my face with water and wipe the excess crap off it and clean my one good arm that I can clean of dirt- I reach to my knife and wash it off before using it to shave off some of the scruffs on my face dipping the blade in every few strokes.



At that point, I notice something- rather a pony… Laying on her back on the opposite side of the stream under a big overgrown tree, she a bright neon teal-colored pony that appears to be sleeping soundly, as far as I can tell, her eyes are covered by blacked-out glasses; holstering my knife to my side I attempt to get to my feet, the ground on the edge of the stream gives way a making a loud splashing noise- I visibly cringe at the sound I look up and the pony has vanished into thin air- without a sound no less.


“Perhaps I was seeing things…”


I turn around she hovering right in front of me her glasses on the crest of her head her vibrant piercing magenta eyes staring me down with a pissed-off glare that could kill an elephant.


“Ah- hell…”