• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 7,519 Views, 357 Comments

A New Beginning - Falinov



In the distant future an 0-2 Marine is sealed away attempting to survive the fallout of a M.A.D strike between two super powers to find a world unlike his own.

  • ...
44
 357
 7,519

Chapter 15 : Yo Ho’ Me Hearties and a barrels of… Cider.

Author's Note:

Man… Some days I wish I could sit down like I used to and write these chapters more consistently, by now most of you probably wandered off to new stories afar- nevertheless I bring you this long awaited chapter, I know it’s not nearly as long as normal, (believe me it took me forever to wrack my brain to think of how this chapter was supposed to go after I lost the outline.)

Either Way, after countless months I hope you all enjoy it, I’ll see y'all in the next one!

P.S. As per usual, if you guys see any errors I may have missed (more than probable) Please shoot me a comment or a PM. Thank you!

Chapter 15: Yo Ho’ Me Hearties and a barrels of… Cider.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Well… Here I am, the blazing sun bearing down on me pulling a cart full of barrels to a guard outpost; Thus far I’ve tripped, slipped, and tumbled a few times on this slight incline most likely because of these poor excuses of wheels being so notched. It’s gotten so bad it has nearly used my face as a brake shoe. To be perfectly honest, this is not how I anticipated my day to go, and to think it started off so smoothly too... Yet here I am trudging my way through the blazing hea- I haven't even moved twenty feet… Oh gooooddd damnnn ittt….

<><><><><> One Hour Earlier...<><><><><>

05:22 - Outskirts of Ponyville.


With the sun rising in the distance, I realized the moment I woke up that AJ didn't give me a specific time for me arrive and begin going through today's chores and assignments; so I suppose I may as well arrive a tad earlier just to be on the safe side, lest I receive a metal pony shoe to my grundle.

‘Doesn’t that make your spine shake a bit? Couldn’t you just imagine her curb stomping someone with those?’

NOT HELPING.


Anyways… To account for it, I’ll show up a bit earlier than normal, hopefully I can help them out a bit more and put in more than my fair share of work, something that I’ve been sorely lacking to uphold as of late.

That being said, there’s hardly any light outside as of yet; Rarity wasn’t even awake when I had packed my stuff and walked out the door. Though to keep her from worrying I left a note explaining I probably won't be home till later tonight as a common courtesy.

While walking on the stone paved street I look up at the morning sky, noticing that there aren’t any clouds overhead, I pass into an open area where there are no trees giving way to a perfect view of the Canterlot castle in the distance.

I continue walking with my hands in my pockets as I cross the bridge that leads out of Ponyville, I briefly pause and stare at the arks of sunlight creeping over the distant mountains behind the castle, with a slight smile I pull my hand out of my pocket to adjust the shoulder strap of my bag,

Turning on my heel I continue on my way to the farm a calm breeze blows some leaves across the path as the trees around me sway peacefully. Today I’ll damn well do my best and prove to these ponies I’m more than capable of pulling my own weight; I’ll make sure of it!

<><><><><><><><><><>

Eventually, after a good ten - fifteen minutes of walking up the various dirt trails, I finally arrive at the farm, unsurprisingly no one is out yet... There is however a nice plume of smoke rising from the chimney, judging by the sweet smell in the air, I’m going to assume that it is coming from the kitchen, indicating that I am not only early… I am early enough for breakfast.

I walk up the porch, with each step they squeak under my weight with every motion I take.

‘Don’t you find it slightly intriguing how old this place is? It’s so rustic here that only time could make something this perfect.’

With a smile on my face I hesitantly I raise my hand to the door to knock before my hand can even reach the door it opens quickly to reveal Applebloom.

“Howdy!” She has the biggest smile on her face.

“Top of ta mornin’ to ye lassie!” I give her my best Irish accent and return the smile warmly before scooping her off her hooves like a cat. “Where’s your sister? She in the kitchen?” I stare into her eyes.

“Yup!” She blankly replies maintaining the deadlock with my eyes.

“She was expecting me?” I squint slightly making sure to dramatically raise my eyebrow all the while maintaining eye contact.

“Mhmm!” She copies my facial expression to the T, I can’t help but laugh at her poker face.

“Want a piggy back ride?” I raise an eyebrow still not breaking my stare.

“Yes, please!” She breaks her mimicry blinking a few times before realizing, “Daw darn it… No fair.”

“No one wins a staring contest with me… ever.” I smirk victoriously, “Also, wish granted.” I toss her over my head and let her lay on my shoulders she wraps one hoof around my neck gently while purring slightly.

‘I thought these ponies couldn’t get more cute. Wrong again…’

“TO THE KITCHEN! AWAY!” I take off through the house straight into the kitchen before stopping behind AJ.

“Y’all sound like a herd of cattle…” She turns around only to look up at Applebloom.

“You’re no fun you know that....” I give her a bemused smile.

“Neither are you partner, let’s face that fact here and now.” She winks before kicking the pan on the stove which SOMEHOW manages to send mornings breakfast onto a plate on the nearby table.

‘Bro… she just laid you out.’

No shit, Sherlock.

“H-how even…” I stutter before pointing at the table and to the stove. “HUH???” I point to the stove. “HUUUHHH???” I point to the table. “Do you ponies even physics?”

“So it’d seem, y’all just stand there like a couple of boards, dig in!” I set Applebloom to the floor, she hops into her seat and starts eating I sit beside her. As I've come to expect of equestrian culture their cuisine here is surprisingly much tastier than I anticipated; either that's from all the years of crap they fed us on the front lines, or the general quality of food then as a whole was worse than it is now… Eh either way it's tastier, and still probably healthier.

Looking over at Applebloom I see she's ALREADY cleared her plate clean; I look back at mine, I'm only halfway through it and Applebloom is starting to get this really predatory glare towards me.

“I feel slightly concerned for my safety.”

‘Is it just me or is she getting closer… QUICK! Hide your food and condiments!’

Before I can react Applebloom attempts to take my plate in the blink of an eye a newspaper swats her on the head, looking over I see an old pony who REALLY shouldn't be walking at her age.

“Geeeh, Applebloom you know that is not polite to pesturin’ other ponies food…” She looks at me with a happy and almost homely smile.

“This here is Granny Smith, one of the eldest in the generation of the Apple family!” Applejack sits beside me setting her Stetson on my head, My eyes widen slightly.

“What are ye sayin’ Applejack… are you calling me old…”

‘Stepped right in that one AJ…’

“I’ll have you know I’m still hip as a-” An audible cracking noise practically echoes in the room.

“I’ll just take a rain check on this lecture…” She gently pushes a chair out and sits down, her ears pressed firmly against her head.

“So, the oldest in the Apple family; That's quite amazing, It is an honor to meet you Mrs. Smith.”

“Daw you're a rather friendly….. Thing-” AJ cuts Granny smith off before leaning next to her ear.

“Human, Granny!” Aj leans back towards me.

A whaaa? Ah human? Well paint me in Zap apples! I thought all of them were extinct… hmmmm” She stares off into space with her hoof to her chin, my jaw drops slightly, I’m left completely baffled by her nonchalant attitude.

‘Holy fuckin’ Crist… What the fuck do I even say to that!?’


AJ takes note and pokes my shoulder gently while pushing me slightly.


“Why don't you finish up breakfast and go help Bigmac, I’m sure he could use some help.” Without a single word I finish my plate and walk outside to the barn to see the red stallion loading barrels into a fairly large sized cart, I approach him he nods at me as he finishes loading the last few crates into the cart.

“Need any help?”

“Eeyup, Need tah’ load the second cart with the remaining goods we’re taking to market.” He hangs off the cart and points to the other cart sitting opposite of us.

“Alright, what do you want me to do after?”

“Choose which cart you want tah’ take.” He simply states before starting to load the second cart, I walk over to the second cart and climb into the back. He kicks a box into the back; sighing slightly I start to slide them into position one after another.

<><><><><> Later… <><><><><>

“Alright- to summarize the route, travel through the town, over the bridge, walk two miles South-East to the guard outpost… Which is conveniently on a hill…”

“That about sums it up sugar cube!” AJ smiles happily, I look at my watch to see its only 05:40.

“While yer’ at it; could you possibly take Applebloom to school?” AJ looks at me with pleading eyes.

“Uh- sure, I suppose it’s not a big issue since I’m going through the town anyways; so why not.” I lift the harness off the ground that I made some last minute modifications’ to and begin to strap it to my lower torso and latching it on firmly. With a hefty heave forward the cart doesn’t budge. I push myself backwards and instantly yank forward this time, however it begins to move with ease.

“Alright, I'm good to go…” From out of nowhere Applebloom pops out of the cart with a small bag around her back. “Guess she is too.”

“Safe travels Austin.” AJ winks at me, I start walking with the cart to the town, beginning what already looks like a very long and painful trip, with a bit of effort I slowly roll the cart down the trail from Sweet Apple acres and back into Ponyville.


Thus far it's been a quiet walk, admittedly I'm surprised Applebloom hasn't said anything to me, looking back, I see she's reading a small book on her hoof.

“What’re you reading?” I look where I'm going to make sure I don’t go off course.

“I’m reading the last few pages of equestrian society for fillies and colts, 3rd generation.”

“So; you are essentially reading about different cultures and people…?” She nods before flipping a page, and continuing with a smile.

“Yup! Ms. Cheerlilee assigned my group to study the Kirin’s history and their modern day cultures- like what they eat or their native languages.”

“Oh… That’s pretty neat actually, way back yonder we used to write group reports on similar studies...; though… most of my partners never really helped me…” I shiver at the thought of my early childhood. “So, real quick what's a Kirin?” I look back at her; I am met with a giggling filly.

“The Kirin is an indigenous group of ponies who also partially look like dragons!”

“Like... Spike?” I feel a small pair of hooves jump down and wrap around my neck, looking out of the corner of my eye I see Applebloom with her book in her mouth.

“Nwat, qite!” I take the now partially slobber covered book and open it to the page with an ornate bookmark in it.

“Turn to page 153, the Kirin are not quite like Spike, Spike is a pure drake- Kirin is both pony AND drake.” She chirps happily.

“Ohhhhh, so they are a hybrid species, that’s cool.” While flipping through the pages of the book, It would be at this point I realized I can't tell which page is 153, and for the 3rd time this week I’ve never had quite a loud collective facepalm in my head for years… I swear I haven’t felt this stupid in forever.

“Lemme’ help you out.” She quickly flips the pages with her hoof and stops on a page.

“My apologies for my lack of knowledge of the equestrian numeric system…”

“At least you speak it fluently!” Applebloom mockingly pats my shoulder.

‘BY SHEER LUCK!’

Would you kindly fuck off…

“Fair point, now then; Kirin… Please correct me if I mess something up… ahrm.” I clear my throat I look at the page and start from the beginning.

“The Kirin is a race of pony-drakes that appeared in the mid… something time period between the… uh…” I look at Applebloom.

“Yingatzi period.” She smiles, as she listens intently.

“Right, The Yingatzi period, they originated within the-“

“Taiponizi”

“Thank you-, Taiponizi territory, legend has it a half dragon and a pony mated, creating an even mix of the two races and creating generations of peace between the two, during this period it is known that the Taiponizi ponies made peace with nearly all neighboring dragons; a bond and friendship that lasts to this day.” I look over my shoulder at Applebloom. “How’d I do?”

“Spot on! You should totally narrate these stories to my class, no one would fall asleep in class!”

“Oh that's mean to your teachers.”

“I’m serious, history is usually quite boring…”

“I personally enjoy history, though it was mostly war related type of history, turning points for my people… That also lead to the end of our civilizations…… Erm. Off of that depressing topic, we’re almost into Ponyville, where do you want me to stop?”

“The school is up here at the junction, just drop me off out front, that will be ok.” She slowly shifts and hops off my back and onto the cart once more. With little to no effort I stop the cart outside the school, and just like every other building in this strange nation, it looks like something straight out of a children's coloring book…

“Alright Applebloom, good luck at school today.” I begin heaving the cart before I hear a new voice.

“Mr. Human~!”

I wonder if I should book it and run… Those two words don't belong in a sentence while I'm around.

‘Your call…’

With a large heave the cart lurches as a dark pink pony walks in front of me, forcing me to stop… again. At this point I'm obligated to just keep moving, sighing within my head, I look to my left to see a red devil on my shoulder it pokes me with its pitchfork.

‘Run her over! Ya’ gots a job to do.’ I look to the other side of my shoulder only to see nothing.

...

‘Isn't there supposed to be two of you…? Where's the other guy…?’ I look at my right shoulder again; still nothing.

It’s official… I'm now the devil's advocate.

‘I gotta say, it’s not as hot as I expected…’

“What can I do for you, ma’am?”

“Oh please, call me Cheerilee, I'm the teacher of this school.” she gestures to the monstrosity that is the school behind her as young ponies flood in, and as I come to expect, about 90% of them are staring at me, however, I will say it got exceedingly funny when one dunderhead ran smack into a wall, serves you right for not paying attention…dumbass... With a smirk on my face I return my attention to Cheerilee.

“Ah, I see… How may I be of service to you?”

“Sweetie Belle turned in her work and told me you had helped her using a method she didn't previously know about.”

‘YAY! I'M IN TROUBLE FOR TEACHING KIDS THE WRONG METHODS GO-’

“When I saw the method, I remembered my college teachings I was taught in Canterlot, the method you taught Sweetie belle, is only taught by the Taiponizi.”

Where have I heard that before…

“I wanted to personally ask you about it; I know it is a touchy subject, but did your race previously use this method commonly…?” She tilts her head before sitting on her haunches.

“Yeah, the method is typically called Order of Operations, I noticed that in Sweetie belle's readings it wasn't really referring to as that, so I clarified it and explained it more in depth- well as good as someone who is crap at math…”

“Because of you, she passed her homework with a A+. She was also able to quickly solve other problems before my other students.” Cheerilee smiles happily.

“Huh; That's… that's surprising... Nevertheless, I'm happy I could be of assistance.”

“No! Thank you for contributing, I know adapting to new surroundings, for you it must be amplified by a hundred…”

“Nah, it isn't as bad as you think, albeit it does have its ups and downs, but I've got help; and plenty of hooves and ears to listen.”

“That is very good! I didn't get to make it to your welcome to Ponyville parties so this may be late, but welcome to Ponyville and the greater Equestria!”

With no time flat she springs up and does a drive by hug just as the bell on the school rings. “I hope you have safe travels Mr. Lancaster.”

“Thanks bu-” She's already walked in and closed the door. “How the hell did you know my last-.....”

“...”

“...”

“Pinkie Pie………” sighing aloud, I give the cart a large heave the wooden wheels clatter, I shake my head profusely. No, it wasn't enough for ponies to constantly stare at me, now they are praising me for shit I barely knew as a kid… I live such an over exaggerated existence it's not even comical anymore.

'I feel violated...'

<><><><><>Swamp Crack is a Bitch.<><><><><>

I wonder how these ponies live, it's pushing a solid 100° out here I've been out here for an hour- minimum; and yet I look around I see these ponies walking around doing the same thing, and they don't even look like they are breaking a sweat; meanwhile my ass would like to write a formal complaint about a serious case of swamp crack. Nevertheless, my trip to this “guard outpost” which by the way, it isn't a guard outpost. This thing is the size of a small fortress.

“So, are y’all gonna finish the delivery?” I jump from shock to see BigMac standing there with a small cart attached to him.


“How in gods green earth did you get here so fucking fast?!” he stands there quietly a slight smile gracing his muzzle.

‘Look at this cocky motherfucker...’

Sighing aloud, once more I heave the cart forward BigMac pushing from behind, it wasn't too long before we got to the front gate of this
monster. I silently give Bigmac a glare, to which he simply walks by me and knocks on the front gate, and then… silence. Seriously, as soon as he knocked everything around us went dead silent.

As quiet as it got, the gate begins to creak and open inwards to reveal- (surprise, surprise) yet another mare however, something looks rather… Familiar… I can’t seem to put my finger on it though; BigMac steps forward.

“We’re here tah’ deliver this here cider and other consumables.”

“Huh? OH! Right I remember, give me a sec’.” She adjusts her pitch black glasses before unfurling her wings and in an instant, a red… stripe…

Oh… She comes back and stops exactly in the same spot where she was previously was before; she looks at me completely oblivious.

“You…” I Blankly stare into her sunglasses.

“Pardon?”

“You’re the same mare who was flying CIRCLES around my house this morning, keeping me awake this morning!”

“...” She stares at me.

“...” I stare at her.

“See… What happened there was…” She sheepishly rubs the back of her head.

“Don’t even give me that bullshit!” Meanwhile, BigMac stares at us.

<><><><><>That morning...<><><><><>

I cover my head with a pillow as the picture frames on the walls shake every few seconds, groaning, I get out of bed and look outside to see the red streak fly off, sighing slightly, I close the window and get ready to lay back down, I pull the covers over-; The picture frames rattle as a loud whoosh passes overhead…

<><><><><><><><><><>

“Oh… Sorry.” She gives a halfhearted smile.

‘Yeah… Sorry doesn’t bring back sleep…

“Can y’all rent a room… We came here tah’ do business…” BigMac snorts, I look at the mare quietly, only to find that she’s slightly red.

“Yeah... Sure. What all did they order from you anyways?” He flips open his saddle back before using his hoof to pass me a scroll. Unrolling it reveals a large list of ordered items, looking back and forth at the carts to the list I put the amount together.

“15 kegs of cider, 15 more kegs of hard cider, and… 45 bottles of “Regal Sunset Cherry Malt…” I look at the mare. “Quick question; are you guys by chance trying to kill yourselves…?”

‘Like you honestly care, that brown s.o.b stole 3 hours of sleep from me…’

Us…

‘Whatever.’

“Ehhhnope, This is jus’ a normal routine shipment.”

NORMAL? Since when is it NORMAL to have 15 KEGS of booze in an active military base?!”
The mare raises her hoof; “Since the bill that allows us a twenty four to forty eight hour liberty pass, which was enacted in-”

“IT WAS A RHETORICAL QUESTION!” A collective round of facehoofs thud around me in an almost in unison manner.

“Ya know what, fuck all of you, let’s just get this damn shipment unloaded.” I throw my arms up before walking back over to my cart.
“He sure is an odd one isn't he…?” I slightly over hear her whisper to Bigmac.

“I HEARD THAT!” I deadpan on her, they both stare at me quietly, Bigmac looks back at the mare.

“So Y’all still holding that get tah’ gether tonight?”

“Yeah, the commander gave us that liberty pass for the night.”

‘Inability to resist curiosity at max, must eavesdrop…’ I discretely move myself and the cart closer.

‘Tactical options available.’

“Yeah, that's why we ordered out these barrels, somepony has a plan in motion for all of this.”

“And one large pocket book.” Bigmac returns to his own cart, heaving it forward, he starts moving towards the gate slowly, the mare walks up to me as I get ready to follow.

“I really am sorry about that… I couldn't sleep last night either.” Storm trots behind the cart.

“Ya’ know what... I could sleep, but some pony thought like hell that 4 A.M was a great time to start generating sub-sonic earthquakes.”

“I know! I know! Let me make it up to you though, how about I buy you some breakfast or something.”

‘Don’t do it… ‘

“...”

‘Don’t…’

Sure. Actually, I kinda’ am hungry after hauling your newly attained one way trip to alcohol poisoning...”

‘What did I just say’

What you say and what my stomach says are two different things.

‘Fair point…’

“Hellooo? Eques to human?” her hoof waves in front of me I flinch slightly. “You alright?”

“Yeah, just thinking about total war and destruction of this overly cute and fuzzy world.” She blankly stares at me trying to comprehend what I said.

“Wha.”

“Relax, I'm joking, just help me pull this cart in.” I start to slowly pull the cart she starts pushing from behind.

“I never did catch your name.” I look back at her over the top of the cart.

“Oh, right; my name is Storm!” She says a little too quickly, her muzzle turns a dark shade of red. “It’s cool to meet you...” She mutters.

“The feeling is… semi-mutual, you still owe me sleep.” Storm gives a huge sigh, her muzzle still red. With a shit-eating grin on my face we haul the cart into the inside of a wooden room masoned with stone, as you would come to expect there's torches on the walls providing gentle illumination- almost looked like an authentic dungeon. While I'm busy admiring the atmosphere, Storm is giving me quite a nasty scowl.

“Not cool dude…”

“Ah well, it was funnier to me anyways…” I continue to grin as we put the cart next to Bigmac whom is performing a rehearsed unloading process, moving this stuff so quickly it honestly puts my hands to shame. To be perfectly honest I'm happy to be just unloading this shit rather than pulling it. I heave myself up onto the cart and start rolling barrels out the back Storm pushing them with her hind leg gently to a wooden shelf creating a rather nice stack of barrels, out of nowhere Storm stops and looks at me curiously.

“So…… I don’t get it- you just woke up this week and you're already working; the princess's offered to provide living accommodations in the Canterlot castle; … yet you are here working your rump off. Why?”

‘Well, damn…’

“Uh… To be honest, I could do that, but it’s simply not in my nature to be the guy who sits around and does nothing; I guess I just can't stand others paying for me to live here free. That's being a freeloader and I don’t want that to be my first impression I make.”
Storm stands there for a moment attempting to process what I just said; how about that! An alien being telling her that I can’t stand being lazy.

“That’s pretty noble;” I smile.

‘Well, at least she di-’

“And stupid.” I instantly facepalm.

You are such an asshole…

“A what?”

‘Oh god damn it ...’

<><><><><>Later<><><><><>

I think I lost 50 pounds today, I think I've found a new workout regimen today; How to lose weight not in 90 days, not a year… a day… I can make a fortune off this!

‘And for only 20 payments of 19.99 YOU TOO can look post apocalyptic malnourished!’

So help me god if I step up to offer help AJ with this run again, I'm going to literally shoot myself in the ass.

‘Money…’

FUCK YOUR MONEY…

“Um… hellllooooo l, you spaced again….” Storm waves her hoof in front of me as she hovers in front of my face, I shake my head quickly and blink rapidly.

“Now that I have your attention,” I stare at her silently “I present to you, the Jade Dews Tea shop.”

“Neat… How about that, hot leaf juice, I was never a fan of tea…”

“Neither am I; HOWEVER! I know the owner, and she brought back traditional and authentic Taipone techniques here from her home village.” I follow Storm into a rather bustling Chinese themed entrance, not surprising to see primarily ponies talking casually and sipping tea and eating small rice balls, the smell in here is quite intoxicating to be perfectly honest, the whole setup is… peaceful. Still following Storm she takes a seat in a corner booth as a pony completely covered in a light teal cloak comes to our table.

“Welcome back Storm! It's been a while, and I see you brought a friend too!” She flips her mane to reveal a scaly muzzle. I think at this point my jaw hit the table.

‘Oh no way… That’s freakin’ cool!’

“Hello there! You must be that human that's been raising a huge commotion lately.” she giggles.

“Yeah… I'm THAT human… The name is Austin.”

“It is a genuine pleasure to meet you Austin, my name is Telna!” She kneels slightly on one hoof and bows respectfully.

“How may I serve you two today?”