• Published 15th Jan 2014
  • 7,341 Views, 227 Comments

Genesis - JumpingShinyFrogs



Twilight decides to push herself to the limits, and stretch the boundaries of her magic, by accomplishing the ultimate task.

  • ...
16
 227
 7,341

Air and Water

Author's Note:

This chapter and the following chapter were guest-authored by Kapuchu, the original poster of the idea for this story. So, any style changes are as a result of this fact.
Therefore, your nice words should be directed to Kapuchu!

Twilight let out a breath and looked around. She had returned to the Dusk Range and stood at the foot of the eastern-most mountain. She glanced around and sat down, for the first time noticing how it was starting to tear at her. The adrenaline that had coursed through her body had kept exhaustion at bay.

She tried to breath in but found the action impossible. It was only then that she realised the lack of oxygen. She hadn’t really needed any oxygen in the time she’d been working. A perk of being an Alicorn and nigh on immortal.

Though, she thought, I may not need it, but the ponies will. For a few moments she thought of how to go about it, trotting along the base of the mountain for a while. Suddenly, she looked up and smiled, her horn springing to life with a bright glow of magenta. Her horn flashed and she disappeared from the surface of her own world, reappearing briefly in some remote part of Equestria. Her visit was only brief, however, as she summoned a small bubble beside her and disappeared again.

She reappeared at the foot of the one of the smaller mountain ranges, the bubble still hovering beside her. Her horn flared briefly, its light increasing for a fraction of a second causing the bubble to become transparent. The atmosphere, for the time being. She closed her eyes and drew upon her near bottomless font of power, guiding it through her horn and into the bubble which then began to expand.

It started out slow, but quickly took speed and soon surrounded Twilight. It kept growing and growing, letting anything it impacted pass through without any resistance. Her brow creased in concentration as she poured yet more power into it, accelerating the speed at which the bubble grew. A minute later and she could not longer see it, but she knew that it had yet to encompass the entirety of the planet.

A smile made its way to her lips, the corners curling upwards in a pleased little smile despite the strain she was putting herself under. Celestia and Luna had not been lying when they said that creating a world was difficult. But she was doing it.


Twilight’s next few hours were occupied with expanding the bubble and constantly multiplying the air molecules within the bubble. The air she had taken from Equestria would not be enough for the entire planet, obviously, but that wasn’t all. Expanding the bubble was foal’s play, the multiplying of the molecules somewhat difficult. What gave her trouble, however, was her tinkering. She had set out with a goal. A goal to make her own world that was not Equestria, so of course it needed to be different.

She couldn’t help the grin that spread across her muzzle as she looked up, finally letting go of the spell when she judged that there was enough air present, and the bubble would hold firm for the few years it would undoubtedly take for nature to make a proper atmosphere. Albeit helped a little via magic. Her eyes were fixed on the sun, its light shining down on her, making her only smile wider.

Its light was the same as that of Equestria. It painted everything in its natural colour, but the sun itself was different. It wasn’t the yellow and white colour that one could see from Equestria. Her tinkering had brought about a harmless gas in the atmosphere which made the sun appear a light cerulean.

“That’s for you, Rainbow,” she whispered, saluting with one of her wings at the sun. Much like Rainbow had done once when she pretended to be her personal guard all those years ago. A little over a millennia had passed, and she still chuckled at the memory. She couldn’t help but think that it was a wonder that she still remembered them all so clearly. How or why she remembered them wasn’t important. What’s important is that I remember the five most important ponies in my life. Immortal or not.

She turned around and pushed off of the ground with all four legs, giving her wings a hard flap at the same time which propelled her into the air. The addition of air to her world had allowed her to fly again. She soared past mountain tops and between the narrow gaps formed in some places. Already she was getting ideas for what to do next.

For hours she flew, just letting the air rush through her mane as she scouted the ground for a suitable place for her next plan. A large area of flat ground came into view. She angled her wings and flew downwards, touching down moments later. The area was usable, but not quite ready for what she had in mind. Her horn flared to life again and she reared up on her hind legs, spreading her wings behind her to keep upright.

For several minutes she stood like that, horn shining and bipedal. Then she smashed her hooves down onto the ground, the blow enchanted by the magic from her horn. When she looked around, she no longer saw only rock and sand, but she now saw soft and fertile dirt upon which plants could grow. But she was only half finished. She took to the air again and hovered thirty or so feet above the ground, wings flapping lazily.

Bending so that her horn pointed towards the ground, she let loose a bolt of ludicrous telekinetic force. The following boom rocked the ground around her, creating several smaller cracks in the dirt and the rock below, but the main goal had been achieved. There was a large hollow in the ground now, one whose edge she touched down beside. Again, she lowered her horn, this time at the edge of the hollow and let her magic flow. She neither pushed or manipulated her magic. She let it flow in a silver stream towards the bottom which then filled quickly.

It took but a few hours for it to fill. While it filled quickly, it was incredibly large; easily as large as Ponyville had been in her youth. The silvery appearance of the liquid faded after a short time, leaving behind sparkling, clear water. She drank from the water, finding it as refreshing as that in Equestria. She straightened and stretched her limbs, hearing cracks and pops from her joints. Immortality or not, standing still for a long time still affected her a little.

A thought made its way to the forefront of her mind, and she took off with no warning, flying low and fast. Behind her, created by her magic, a large trench was carved into the ground, the water following slowly behind. She stepped suddenly and angled her wings upwards, bringing herself into a near vertical ascent before she tipped backwards, letting her horn flare to life.

A white light shone from her eyes as an orb of energy appeared at her horn. Milliseconds passed yet they seemed like hours. The world moved in slow motion. And then the orb fired.

A tremendous force hit the ground near where the newly created river ended, cracking up the ground and forcing several hectares of it to crumble in on itself. Another, much smaller, orb was sent towards the massive hole, hitting only a portion of the side of it. A small indent was then formed, allowing a small lake to form at the base of the new waterfall.

A large grin formed on her face yet again, an immense feeling of satisfaction coursing through her body. And with it, joy. For the first time in centuries she had cut loose and really used her magic. No restraints, no boundaries. If she so desired, she could blast the planet with everything she had and obliterate it. She wouldn’t, though. No true artist abandoned their work, and she wouldn’t either.


With a pop and a flash of purple, Twilight appeared far above her planet, looking down on it from so high that she could see the curvature of the planet. When she looked down, she could see several small splotches of blue, long lines of the same colour snaked themselves between mountain tops and across plains and through valleys. One even wound its way through a mountain, a small round hole boring its way through one of the smaller mountains.

For the past several days, she’d flown all over her world creating lakes, rivers, waterfalls and other things. She had raised and lowered pieces of land, covered empty plains in green sprouts of grass in some places while giving other places red grass.

There was one place in particular that she was proud of. It was a giant ravine located just south of the Lunar range. It spanned several kilometres in length, and several hundred metres in width. It was so deep that the bottom of it was invisible from the top. The sunlight simply did not reach it. It wasn’t impossible to pass through, though, but it was slightly dangerous for a mortal. In the western end of it was a small decline that allowed a pony to walk down it. It was wide enough to camp on in some places, and made so that one would not be able to see the crystal walls until you were already past the place where stone turned to crystal.

What made her proud of it, however, was not the size nor how she had made it by slicing the ground with her wing --it having been coated in magic. No, what made her proud of it was the bottom. Just past the point where it was impossible to see the bottom, the walls were made not of ordinary rock but of solid crystal. It shined with its own light, compensating for the lack of sunlight making its way all the way down. The crystal was so pristine that one might mistake it for diamonds. It was, however, not. While it was certainly a valuable type of gemstone, it had a purple tint to it. It was a new type of crystal. One of her own.

“For the most generous of ponies,” she whispered, finding herself standing at the bottom of the ravine after a brief teleport. Without truly realizing it, she had paid homage to two of her friends; the sun for Rainbow, a steadfast companion that would always be there. This ravine for Rarity, a one-of-a-kind place in the world, a truly rare place.

She cast a curious glance at the crystal, brow furrowing in concern. The place would be digged out in only a short few centuries once ponies, and other sentient races she might create, came up with the idea of money and the likes. She had little problems with the world being changed, but this was a place she wanted unchanged.

She suddenly chuckled, having been inspired by the very pony that this place was a gift for. Her horn lit and the glow grew to encompass the entire ravine.

She closed her eyes. “Let the spirit of generosity live on in the Belle Stones. Let this be a place free of greed, and let generosity rule. Let only purity remove the pebbles.” The glow faded and her eyes opened. She smiled. The spell she had cast would remove any desire to take the Belle Stones, the crystal - named after Rarity’s family name. The spell she had cast would deter any greedy ponies, or other, from taking any of the crystal, but it would allow the ones who wanted it for nothing but the purest of purposes. A wedding ring, for example. If they developed that custom, that is.