• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 2,739 Views, 49 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Viva Las Pegasus -- Tales of New Pegasus - hailetheking



While Farsight and his group are playing the big leagues, they seem to forget about the humble New Pegasian. Enter Brawny Boulder, veteran wastelander turned guard for New Pegasus, and the adventures of the common pony in New Pegasus.

  • ...
8
 49
 2,739

Chapter Two: Debriefing

Fallout Equestria: Viva Las Pegasus -- Tails of New Pegasus
Chapter Two: Debriefing


“Do you know why you’re here, gentlecolts?”
“.....”
“I said ‘Do you know why you’re here?’”
“.....”
“LISTEN TO ME!” the pony smashes her hooves on the table to make a point. She looks at me with her piercing blue eyes, which makes her look pretty harmless. The custard-yellow pony has been going on and on about something, said her name was Amber Seer.

I stare up blankly at her and reply “I’m sorry, could you say that again? You kind of lost me at the boring part. In the start.” Sundown and I have been called down to the NPPD for some Celestia-damned reason. We’re probably not in trouble, since they also had Sundown come with me. My reassurance didn’t help though, as the poor kid still looked spooked as hell. This has been going on for a good thirty minutes I think. I’m not quiet sure, I spaced out and didn’t hear a word. We’ve been in this concrete, empty room with nothing but a table and a security camera. It looked a like an interrogation.

“Hey, you two!” the cop snapped. “Need another repeat?”

“Meh, yeah, but keep it quick.” I told her. “It’s almost happy hour at the Diamonds.”

If Amber wanted to hide her annoyance, she did a really bad job of it, but she continued nonetheless. “You see, the City Council has decided to make a special contingent of ponies known as T.A.I.L. Twilight’s Agents in Las Pegasus. What does that mean to you?”

“That they really wanted to make an acronym so they discluded ‘P’ and randomly added Twilight?” I joked. I saw the orange stallion beside me chuckle a bit. He’s loosening up, knowing that we’re not in trouble.

“No, I- ugh- That’s not the point!” muttered our buddy, “Twilight as in, Princess Twilight? Intelligence? You get it? We need elite agents to act on the Council’s behest. Like one of those secret agent holotapes.”

“Oh man! I loved James Colt! That guy was the shit! Wait, again, what does this have to do with us?”

It was Sundown’s turn to pipe up. “And you want us to join?”

The mare smiled a bit. “Well, well, well. Finally, Mr. Good-Looking joined in. And he’s bright too! But no, we don’t exactly want you to join…” Sundown blushed a bit at the ‘Mr. Good-Looking’ bit, but I don’t think she meant anything by that.
“Wait, so if you don’t want us to join, why are we here?” I really didn’t like this pony wasting our time. I could be having a fist fight with Aegis or hitting on some broad at the Diamonds by now.

“We need you two to come here for background checks,” informed Amber “and then from there, we’ll determine if you’re worthy enough to join T.A.I.L’s ranks. Good day, and we’ll call you about the schedule.”

The yellow pony led us outside, through the dull, concrete corridors of the police station. Right as we approached the exit, I stopped and called her.

“Amber…”
“Yes? Is there a problem Mr. Boulder?”
“Why were we picked?”
Amber looked uneasy. I knew this was the reason.
“Mrs. Cleff trusted you. She said you were the top lieutenant… of her second-in-command.

I sighed, thanked her for the honesty, then left.

Sundown must have noticed something was off, since while we were walking, he halted us. “Boulder, is something wrong?”

“No.” I lied. I lied so much. “You can go ahead. Tell Aegis and Buckton to have fun without me. Tell them something came up.”

The kid stopped and looked at me with concern. Ever since he was a colt, he’d give me that look, then he’d try to make me feel better. However, he’s grown up, and the years have taught him that when something like this comes up, it’s better to leave it alone.

His heart is in the right place, but some wounds are too deep to heal.

“Alright,” he said, “stay safe, old man.” He gave me a hug.

“You too kiddo.”

With those words, I watched him disappear into the lights of the city. That kid’s the closest thing I have to family now. Hell, he’s probably the closest thing ever. But there was one other pony. Images flashed in his head. A small, fat colt with a blond spiky mane and a younger white fillie sitting beside him in an abandoned shop, laughing as the share a can of beans. The same pair, the colt burning his mane while trying to cook a skeever alive and the little fille right beside him laughing while spraying him with sewer water. The two sleeping in homemade tents made from bloody clothes scavenged off dead guys. Oh, the memories.

Why do I remember her best when we were both foals?

I knew I had to go to. But not some bar or strip club like every other night.

I knew I had to go to a place haunted by ghosts of the past.

I knew I had to go to a place where pain and anguish has been prevalent.

I knew I had to go to a place where each turn brought a heartache back.

I knew I had to go pay my respects to somepony who changed my life.

I had to pay respects to my sister.

Author's Note:

Latest chapter. Sorry it's so short. I don't measure chapters in words, I measure them in events. Expect the next chapter this weekend, and probably a few more after that.