• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 1,262 Views, 62 Comments

Tagged - Alien Bronco



Vinyl Scratch gets caught tagging a building... again. But this time it appears that there is no way out of her punishment. When she meets the pony that owns the building she tagged she hatches a plan to avoid getting punished.

  • ...
3
 62
 1,262

The Second Lunch

"Tavia get up!"

"I told you Beauty, do not call me Tavia! And I’ve been up!"

"Well your DJ buddy is waiting at the door!"

"Ok I shall go get her!" The grey earth pony galloped over to the door and welcomed her guest with a bright smile. "Hey Vinyl."

"Hey Tavi, you seem like you’re in a good mood." Vinyl stood at the door with a goofy smile on her face. It was one that she hadn't worn in years. One that could only signify one thing for the unicorn DJ. Things were looking up.

"How come she can give you a nickname?!" Beauty Brass was standing next to the cellist with a surprised look on her face.

A slight blush crept across the cellist's face. Beauty was right; she did not allow her to give a nickname to the cellist. Well this is rather awkward. Think fast Octavia... Think fast... "The only reason I allow her to call me by any sort of nickname is because I do not believe she could process a word over 3 syllables." Nailed it. Octavia you deserve a muffin.

"Och Tavi... that’s cold. True. But still very cold." Vinyl and Octavia chuckled at this.

"Oh why don't you kiss already?" A very irritated beauty brass than took her leave of absence to give the two mares some privacy.

"So, um, i heard your song on YouHoof last night..." Octavia was kicking at the ground. She followed her swaying hoof with her eyes to avoid look at the DJ. She wasn't sure if the song was about her and Vinyl or if it was just another random club beat with no meaning like so much modern music seemed to be.

"You... You did? I didn't know you knew how to work a PC. Did you... did you like it?" It wasn't the question Vinyl would have liked to ask but it was the safest bet she had.

"Vinyl, I am a classical musician, not a cave pony. And yes, i actually did like it. A lot. Do you... i mean... what’s the meaning behind it?" Octavia looked up to meet the eyes of the blushing unicorn that stood across from her.

"Well, to be honest, i just kinda put my feelings into a song. I didn’t have a 'meaning' behind it per say. It was just pure emotion." Vinyl finished by dropping her head to the ground, breaking the eye contact that the DJ and the Cellist held.

But that was all Octavia needed to hear. Vinyl felt weight on her shoulders. She also felt heat, fur, and something rubbing against her neck. It's been a while since Vinyl received a proper hug. It felt good, felt refreshing, and felt right.

It ended more abruptly than Vinyl would have liked. Octavia pulled away and stared at the DJ. "Thank you Vinyl."

"I didn't do anything Tavi... it just did what felt. Now, i believe i have a masterpiece that needs some scrubbing." Vinyl floated the bucket of cleaning supplies over to her. She gave a goofy smile to the cellist turned tomato from the velocity of her blush.

"Yes, you might want to get scrubbing. I will come get you in about an hour, okay? We will go grab another 'Burger'." Octavia gave a sweet smile to her new friend. Vinyl immediately began cackling over the Cellists pronunciation of the word burger. She never used her r's when she spoke but for some reason decided to use them for the word 'burger' It may be one of the cutest... funniest things Vinyl has ever heard. It was pretty obvious that whoever invented the burger didn't mean for the upper class to indulge in its deliciousness.

"Hey! Sometimes Vinyl... I just, you can't, i mean... ugh!" Octavia turned away with her nose held high and a smug frown spread across he lips.

"Whoa Tavi i was just yankin your chain, relax. I'm going to go finish up cleaning and I’ll come back in when imp all donzo." Vinyl flinched at the grunt she received in return than went out to finish her scrubbing.

<('.')>

After only a short 15 minutes of scrubbing vinyl was done. It made a huge difference that she could use her magic at full this time around. The delicious greasy sandwich vinyl had enjoyed with Octavia the day before left her with enough left in her tank to finish off the wall. Vinyl didn't usually eat on her own. She didn't see the need. She didn't mind the feeling of starvation. She only ate when she could barely walk anymore and then it was only enough to get Vinyl back on her feet.

She didn't do it to harm herself. Self-harm is never ok. No, she did it because she didn't deserve to eat 3 meals day. She didn't deserve the feeling of a full belly, the euphoric taste of a basket of hay fries, the delicious crisp of a filly cheese sandwich bun. She deserved to be hungry; it was the only way she could make herself feel better for what she's done. Because of Vinyl, SHE will never get food again, so why should Vinyl get any?

The white DJ picked up her cleaning supplies and trotted inside.

"Yes Vinyl, may i help you?" Octavia looked up from her sheet music to peer at the new entree of the household.

"I actually just finished, and seeing as we still got some time before lunch... why don't you show me around your house or something?"

"Well to be quite honest I just became a residence of this household myself! I barley know where everything is myself." She gestured to the kitchen "That is the kitchen." She pointed her hoof to the current room she was in "This is the living room" she then pointed her hoof up the stairs "And my room is just up there! There you are, tour done! Enjoy?" Octavia smirked and began to work on her sheet music once again. She noticed a white blur out of the corner of her eye.

"Watcha writing?" Vinyl spoke up. "Sheet music huh? i didn't know you Composed." Vinyl's eyes scanned the sheet of paper for a few seconds before speaking up again. "Hm, fast paced, energetic, and uplifting! Seems like someone’s writing a happy song!"

"Vinyl can you please close your mouth and let me... wait, how do you know how to read sheet music?"

"Have you looked at my flank?" Vinyl wiggled her double eight noted plot around in front of Octavia’s face, sending the cellist into a deep blush.

"Vinyl stop! You have no class."

"And you’re no fun! Looks like we were meant to be!" Vinyl immediately regretted the words that left her mouth. She made that sound way more lovey-dovey than intended. "Um, meant to be friends... yea... totally!"


"Ok then... you never answered my question. How can you read sheet music? You are supposed to be a DJ. You know, you take other peoples music and add more music to it with some dials." Octavia's voice slowly died down as she realized it was starting to get offensive.

"Nonono, it’s not like that sweet tavi, its more... i don't know. I can't really explain. I guess i could just show you? My place is right around the corner from Sizzles" She paused at Octavia’s confused expression.

"I am sorry but what is a sizzles?"

"It’s the 'Burger' joint we ate at last time." The DJ pronounced 'burger' like he cellist in spite. Vinyl’s stomach than began to rumble. "And where we're headed now. You know what they say; when the stomachs a wubbin, the foods a comin." Vinyl winked at the cellist before trotting towards the door. She wasn't necessarily hungry as much as she just wanted to avoid talking about her past. She knew where the conversation was headed. She would explain why her cutie mark is an eight note ant why she is a DJ. She would then explain what drove her to quit her special talent for... well... her special talent. Apparently a pony can have several special talents without it matching what is depicted on their flank.

"Fine let us go, i did skip breakfast this morning." Octavia trotted behind vinyl as the headed towards the restaurant. Little did the cellist know that vinyl had also skipped breakfast, and last night’s dinner as well.

<('.')>

Vinyl ordered two more burgers, this time one 'sizzle special' and one 'red dead'. The corn patties were hurdled onto the grill and the sizzle began nearly immediately. One was left to cook while the other was coated in a red sauce that looked to be made from crushed peppers, flour, milk, and maybe an egg or two. The two mares watched there meal being cooked in merriment while the stayed silent and enjoyed the show. After a while the burgers were nearing completion. The sizzle special was stacked high with veggies of all types, and even a few fruits! The stallion cooking the food topped the burger off with a pineapple and handed it to the cellist. He then went to work on the second red burger. It looked like it was coated in liquid heat and was topped with heat, heat, and more heat. Peppers, green and red, ghost chilies, and a sprinkle of cumin topped of the flaming menace of a meal. The burger was given to Vinyl and she bit in immediately, acting as if the heat did not affect her in the slightest. Octavia, finding this strange, spoke up.

"How can you possibly eat that without spontaneously combusting?"

"Well its simple Tavi, I love things that are hot. Hot makes the world go round." Vinyl gave the cellist a seductive wink.

"I am sorry but are you trying to call me hot? If so thank you but no thank you." Octavia winked back at the DJ who looked about as confused as a mare who accidently flirted with her parole officer could be. She then turned her attention away from Grey musician and back to her almost finished Burger. In one more bite, it was done.

"Vinyl you eat like a mal-nourished stallion."

Well your half-right "So listen, you wanna come back to my place after this so i can show you why a DJ is a real musician?"

"I will not get stabbed or robbed, will I?"

"Nope, i promise. How can you eat that slowly? I have seen turtles eat faster."

"I eat slowly because i like savoring every bite, not just scarfing the food down until there is nothing left like somepony i know."

"Aw you’re thinking of me? How sweet." Vinyl’s comment was rebutted be a punch to the arm. Not a hard punch, but fellable.

"I will have you know that is sexual abuse Tavi! Help! RAPE RAPE!" Vinyl received a much harder hoof the chest.

"OUF... ok i get it no more rape jokes."

"Thank you. Now why don't you tell me how you got that cutie mark of yours hmm?"

"Ha you said don't"

"I did not!"

"Did too! Its like two lines up!"

"No it is not, wait what do you mean two lines... WHO CARES just tell me how you received your cutie mark already will you?" Octavia glowered at Vinyl who gave a sharp exhale.

"I'm sorry Tavi but i just don’t really want to share that if you don't mind. It... I will when i can but it's just not something i want to talk about."

"Oh, well ok then." The atmosphere went dreary for a second. Normally talking about how you got your cutie mark is a happy topic, usually used to lighten the mood. Octavia had not expected the answer she received nor that it was painful for Vinyl to think about her cutie mark's origin.

"Why don't you tell me how you received yours Tavi?" Vinyl broke the tension.

"Ok then, well I will skip some of the nitty-gritty but i grew up with only my mom. My dad was a bit of a jerk so we cut him out of our lives when I was young. I always loved music; since i was young i couldn't fall asleep without it. My mom was an avid violinist and it was my foal hood dream to play with her. I wanted to play something that would sound good while played along with my mother, and wanted something that resembled her violin. Sure enough i discovered the cello and it was perfect. If was beautiful and tall, strong and elegant, and sounded absolutely soothing. It had the ability to drag my emotions with it. When it played a happy tune, i mirrored the emotion. When it played a sad tune, I also would feel lonely and scared. So i began playing the cellist. At my first recital everything fell apart. My cello broke a string on stage because i poked it with my hoof. Everyone began laughing and the rest of my class ceased playing. But i did not. I continued on and played without my snapped string. Granted it was not my greatest but it was still a brilliant rendition of 'hay in the morning' performed by and earth pony. I gained my cutie mark during their standing applause."

"Wow that is quite the story you got there. I thought you would have gotten it some high class way by snorting caviar while playing or something."

"I will have you know i am not a high class mare... or at least i was not a high class mare. Back when i was a filly i used to be lower-middle class."

"And you never had a burger?"

"We lived near the upper class, which i guess is where my more refined habits come from." Octavia finished the last bit of her burger. "I cannot make eating these a habit, i will get chunky! How do you stay so trim?" Octavia raised an eye at the question with her full attention on the DJ

"Um yea, trim, ha, let’s go to my place!" Vinyl got up and galloped out of the store after throwing some bits on the table.

The stallion cook picked up vinyl’s change. Octavia than began trying to hand him her half.

"No need mam there is enough here for the both of ya'" The stallion returned to the cooking corn patties.

"Vinyl... paid for me? I did not know she had a generous side. I will have to do something nice for her!" Octavia headed out the store and took her place next to the DJ.

"Took you long enough! So how long have you been a part of the Fancy Pants Orchestra?"

"Oh well only... wait how did you know i wa-"

"I am a jack of all trades fair Tavi! Now answer thy question wench!"

"You are... what are you? And I just joined. I have my first performance in about a month at the, get this, Grand Galloping Gala! I preformed there a few years back but that was for free... and just because nopony had seen an earth pony play a string instrument like the cello before. It tends to draw a crowd which is why almost all the musicians in my ensemble are earth ponies."

"Yea that’s cool. I performed for the royal wedding." Don't talk about the past Vinyl; it can only lead to questions!

"YOU WHAT???"

"I DJ'ed at it and they danced and the element of magic sand and it was cool and why do you look like you want to strangle a foal?"

"Why... ho-.. what? You... wedding.... words!"

"Octavia? Hello? Shoot I think I broke her..."

<('.')>

"TAVI WE ARE HERE!!!"

"I am sorry what?" Octavia shook her head and focused on the door to the apartment they were standing in front of. Apparently they had walked down a hallway and taken a left, walked down that hallway and were facing the last room in THAT hallway.

"Was i really that out of it?"

"Yes, yes you were. For about 10 minutes actually."

"Oh... hm. Well what did you want to show?" Vinyl pushed on the door and entered the apartment. It was a mess. There was sheet music everywhere, her bedroom door was blocked by a large amp and there were clothes covering nearly every surface that could have clothes on them.

"Sorry it’s a bit of a mess, do you mind?" The disgusted look on the cellists face answered her question for the cellist. And that was all it took for Vinyl to completely clean her room. A surge of power from her horn and everything shot into the air surrounded in Vinyl’s aura. It than floated into either the trash can, cloths hamper, bed, or on the coffee table. Her room was spotless.

"How did you do that Vinyl? Why are you surprising me so much today?"

"I don't know i guess I’m just that awesome! And being a DJ has strengthened my ability to multi-task so i guess i just got everything done at once.”


“That’s incredible! Speaking of DJ i do believe that somepony has to convince me that a DJ counts as being a real musician.” Octavia raised an eyebrow at Vinyl as if to challenge her in a way.

“Ohoho challenge accepted fair Tavi! But this is a challenge you're gonna lose treble clef.”

“Treble clef? Why the nicknames? Octavia. say it with me.” She mouthed the words slowly to Vinyl to show how easy saying her name actually was. “O-C-T-A-V-I-A. It is not that hard Vinyl.” the DJ shrugged off the sarcasm from the classy mare and took her place behind the turntables. Opening her laptop with her magic and adjusting the dials at the same time she turned on ‘Wrecking ball’ By Marley Cyrus.

“Really Vinyl? This horrid excuse for a song?”

“Wait for it Tavi, let the Pon3 perform her magic will you?” She paused her previous song and put on ‘Grenade’ by Bronco Mars and after a few seconds of tinkering with the audio she unpaused both songs and started sliding a dial placed in the middle of her turntables back and forth. It was magic. Two songs that were nothing but pop garbage (according to Tavi) were transformed into something with so much more emotion behind it. It turned from two songs of depression. One being a stallion expressing his love and another of a broken mare. It turned into a wonderful ballad that was actually bearable. The two mares listened in silence as the song panned out.

“Vinyl that was-”

“Awesome? Incredible? Vinylicious? Yeah I know. I had a feeling those would go well together.”

“But your song with me cello in it, that was an original piece, no?” Octavia looked at the DJ in nothing but pure amazement. In a matter of seconds Vinyl had shaken up what it meant to be DJ. No. Actually she only changed her opinion on one DJ. One Beautiful DJ. ‘Whoa Octavia where did that come from? She’s a mare, you are high class, drop it. You saw how badly Fillyfoolers get treated around here! Look what happened to the old member of the ensemble and her candy making girlfriend. They were chased out of town!’

“Yes it was… sorta. You see that was more Dubtrot. Dubtrot is where you build of off another piece of music to make it original and unique. You have heard Radioactive by Imagine Dragons right?”

“You mean the song with the griffon singer?”

“Exactly! Well i made this a few days ago.” Vinyl dropped her headphones on her head and turned on her music. Again something amazing coursed through Octavia. She felt energy radiate from herself. She felt like dancing, running, screaming, and getting bucked up all at once.

“Vinyl this is great! Do you have more perhaps?” Octavia took a step away from turntables, swaying her hips with the song.

“Yea, does somepony feel like dancing?” Vinyl shifted the song to a much more energetic one. She then stepped out from behind her tables and began dancing.

“Vinyl this is ridiculous...”

“Don’t talk Tavi! Lose yourself in my wubs!” She pulled Octavia up and grabbed her hoofs. She then began bouncing energetically and methodically up and down. The cellist watched the display for a few seconds before giving in and bouncing alongside the energetic DJ.

The two swirled together bouncing, tails swishing and occasionally intermingling. Their manes were messy and swaying side to side. The nearly hit each other a couple of times while swaying their heads back and forth. Bass pumped and shook the mares as they danced. Octavia not quite used to the fast paced dancing ended up tripping backwards, bringing Vinyl along with her.

Vinyl sat atop of Octavia. The two mares stared each other down as the music pumped. Breathing heavily the mares glared happily at one another, smiles adorning both of their faces. Octavia eventually snapped back to reality as she shook her head.

“Um Vinyl, as fun as that was you are kind of crushing me right now…”

“Oh right, my bad!” Vinyl rolled off and turned the music off with her magic.

“I have to say Vinyl this has been absolutely lovely. I do have a practice in about an hour so I’m afraid I’ll have to go now. Thank you for the great time.” Octavia gave the DJ a quick hug before turning towards the door.

“Hey Tavi?”

Octavia turned back around to address the DJ. “Yes?”

“Thank you for, well, everything. Lunch again tomorrow?”

The Cellist winced at this. “About that Vinyl, I have a meeting with Fancy tomorrow addressing my position in the ensemble, than lunch with my mom shortly after that so… Lunch in three days? We will meet back at Sizzles!”

“Sounds good Tavi. Do me a favor will ya?”

“Sure what do you need?”

“Can you check YouHoof later? I have a song that I want you to hear.” Vinyl packed up her laptop and put her headset back on its appropriate perch.

“Sure Vinyl, I would be glad to.”

“Ok be safe.” Vinyl felt a little guilty about not walking back with the Cellist but she knew that Octavia would not let her go. She was too kind for that.

“Don’t worry about me, there’s nothing a couple of stupid thugs can do that i can’t handle.” Octavia sounded much more nonchalant now that she warmed up to the DJ. At that she shot a reassuring smile at Vinyl and walked out of the door.

<(‘,’)>

Octavia began walking down the hall as she reached the turn to head back out into the open. She turned the corner and heard a door creak open behind her. ‘It’s okay Octavia. Probably just some nice pony who wanted some fresh air. No need to get all worked u-’

At that she felt a sharp pinch in her side that made her immediately fall against the opposite wall. The pinch began burning more and more before she felt it twist. It dawned on her at that moment what was happening. She just got stabbed, she was getting mugged. She felt the blade withdraw from her body as a cool rush of air replaced the string pinch with an insufferable sting. She immediately fell over from a mixture of a lack of strength and a need to put pressure on her new wound.

Octavia’s vision began to blur, she felt her bowtie get ripped as a stallion spoke up; jingling the bit pouch she kept on her collar.

“Bingo, bye mi-” The stallion was interrupted by a voice coming around the corner of the hallway.

“Hey Tavi i couldn’t let you-” Vinyl stared at the stallion who looked menacingly back at Vinyl. The Black unicorn was covered in a black snow suit with a hood covering his mane. She saw a dagger in his dark grey aura and the glint of his Carmel eyes before he ran. Her attention was then turned to the hurt Cellist lying on the ground. She then saw the large pool of blood leaking from Octavia. “YOU DARE HURT HER” Vinyl charged the fleeing unicorn. He through the dagger he was holding in his magical grip at Vinyl. It made contact with her arm slowing her down for a second. After a few more steps she realized that there were more important things to deal with.

She quickly began yelling “HELP” at the top of her lungs. A bright green earth pony with a purple mane opened her door before retreating back inside. She immerged seconds later with a blanket and a phone. The green mare handed the towel to Vinyl who immediately rolled Octavia over. She received a faint grunt from the cellist. The grey mare spoke up


“What happened?”

“Thank you, i don’t know what happened. I turned the corner and saw my friend on the ground.”

“Well there’s an abula-”

That is all Octavia herd before her eyes closed and everything went silent.

Author's Note:

She is not dead! Look, no sad or dark tags!

By the way STILL LOOKING FOR AN EDITOR IF YOU ARE INTERESTED JUST COMMENT OR MAIL ME!

Anyway I just wanted to give a quick shout out to a few special ponies out there.

FunFunFUN, BlackFerretC, pembry, Furlong, Lukasz3214, Widows Peak, Shock Jock, DragoLord19D, ArtemisWinters, ForgottenExistance, Hoovester, Mlp4Life, LilacJahaa, 89AcB, Demi-Gryphon, cyberwaste6996 and a special thanks to BMX Bronie, John Stalker, ChaoticLightning.
LET YOUR NAMES BE IMMORTALIZED IN MY STORY

Also thanks to
Vlade
ArtemisWinters
And jackplanet88
For giving me feedback on my story. IMMORTALIZATION.

Thank you all for being so patient with me. I haven't been uploading to often and i'm sorry about that. Have a long chapter!

I will have another out for you soon enough. Check my user page for My episode reviews and Story Shout outs!

Enjoy your chapter!

<(Bronco)>