• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 7,770 Views, 596 Comments

Human After All - Nicknack



Lyra discovers ancient mysteries in the Everfree Forest; one of them tasks her with helping him rebuild his lost civilization.

  • ...
73
 596
 7,770

Chapter 9

23:57.

In a lifetime measured by eons, only two of my original artifacts remained: my father’s pocketwatch and my wedding ring. The sentiment of memories was betrayed by the cold brass and gold; I didn’t remember their names, their lives.

The watch was of a traditional Swiss design, kept alive throughout the millennia, handed down within a strongly traditional family. I knew this because, every four decades or so, a component broke; in order to replace it, I needed to read a transcription of the design schematics. Indeed, the original watch had been discarded long ago, piece by piece. I had repaired it with a copy of copied notes, but what I held in my hand was my father’s watch nonetheless.

On the back of it, at one point, my name had been engraved. That, too, had been worn away by the ages; I no longer remembered the name I had been given. I vaguely remembered giving myself names when I needed to interact with the twisted remnants of humanity.

Oblivion was my curse.

It was necessary—a forgetting, my loss of self. An individual could not be the quintessence of humanity, a symbol of our redemption. An individual would lack the motives and conviction to do what was necessary for our race. I embraced oblivion, for it was my greatest strength.

The frigid mountain air chilled the insides of my lungs as I waited above the capital of Equestria, a castle, filled with false monarchs. I’d spent past three hours in stealth and quiet, moving in a large arc around the castle, lazing targets to update coordinates for my armor’s targeting system. When I was finished, I climbed to the peak, looked down on the castle, and waited for my hour of glorious redemption.

With my reflexes, I could have manually aimed each shot, or with my command of chaos, I could have flung the projectiles without even the use of a weapon. However, there was something symbolic, an irrefutable logic of using tools to avoid doing things manually.

It was human.

By the time the sun rose naturally over the earth again—a transgression against nature that I would right—humanity would be restored. Once the false sisters had taken their rightful place in union with me, it would be nothing to raze a colony of shape-shifting insects. Then, I would be complete, and from there, even the cosmos would not be out of my reach, beyond my rule.

Ironically, I just wanted to rest, to sleep. For eight thousand, two hundred and ninety-six years, I had labored. Humanity did not need a ruler, a god. That was its beauty. Once I put them on the right path, they would live and grow again, and the Chaos War would finally be over.

I would look upon that and say it was good.

23:58

I clasped the watch closed and put it in a utility pouch. A button’s press closed the mask around my head, and the inside glowed to life. My eyes were granted vision of the world, overlaid with information about the climate around me. It was negative six degrees Celsius outside, my bearing was point-one-oh-five radians south of west, and a circle of alternating yellow and black triangles told me that, if all else failed, I had an arsenal of backup contingencies.

They lied to unjustly subjugate the remnants of humanity. For that, I would demonstrate true control of sunfire—by raining it down in salvoes that would level even the nearby mountain to glowing dust.

Failure was not an option.

Granted, it was to be avoided if it could be helped. Nuclear contingencies were beyond unethical, especially against civilizations without appropriate missile defense systems.

I had also made the promise to avoid killing, even if had been a lie to say that no one would die. Compared to the existing death toll—which lay in the billions—there would statistically be no deaths, if one counted to any reasonable amount of significant figures. History would forgive a necessary death toll, however; even a thousand lives would be nothing compared to the future I would reforge for humanity.

If she did not forgive me for the sacrifices of her countryponies, then that would be another unfortunate sacrifice that my cause required of me. But even if her country’s capital were reduced to ash, she would live. That was my gift to her, a silent promise I did intend to keep, her reward for loyalty.

My helmet’s display told me twenty seconds remained until the first shots of the final battle of the Chaos War would be fired. Servos in my suit knew the coordinates of the twelve guard towers spread throughout the castle; they were the twelve guards who, according to a month’s analysis, did not change their post at midnight. By removing the knights from play, I could freely move across the board and check the kings.

Excessive force would draw any and all active guards to my location, away from hers. The distraction would make things simpler and more tactically efficient. It was the right choice.

23:59

For eight centuries after the Satellite Wars of 3309, the idea of a standing military had been abolished, all weapons were outlawed for every civilian, and most lethal weapons had even been banned for use by security details. My grenade launcher broke those laws, as it had been specifically built to the standards of pre-chaos technologies. Magnetic rails accelerated a physical payload to lethal projectile speeds. It was an older technology, one that had taken several weeks to rediscover, but given how long it had taken to find the SMU-7 Weaponized Nanomachines, I felt the need to put them to some use.

I brought the launcher to my shoulder, and the suit took over. It aimed, I pulled the trigger, and it adjusted to the next target for me to fire again. In a matter of two seconds, I fired twelve rounds.

A benefit to that swiftness was how the first rounds were still in the air when I finished my volley. I turned to observe the nearest guard tower as the grenade hit it. The impact itself was fairly muted—no explosives, no white phosphorous. However, once the glass shattered, the machines began their consumption and replication routines; they swarmed and multiplied in a growing pool of metallic gray that dissolved everything in the tower: stone, wood, flesh.

Through the winds and height, I still heard the panicked whinnies and feral screams of the guard as he dissolved into a pool of red and gray. It should have brought me no pleasure, yet I did find it cathartic, in its own way.

I slung the launcher on my back and—with a will of chaos—leapt off the mountain peak. I would land in the courtyard, behind the walls; once inside, my map had generated the quickest path weighted against guard patrols. It would lead me directly to the throne room, and my siege would be over in a matter of minutes.

As I fell into the combat zone, I noted that the remainder of the primary plan rested on my companion’s ability to perform her duty. She was competent, in her own, cute manner; I put the closest thing I had to faith in her.

I had opened for her a window of opportunity. It was now up to her to leap through.


One minute before midnight, I heard cries and commotion. That’s my cue, I realized, though I’d already been jogging through the Canterlot Library at three minutes ‘til.

My cover story was that I was doing some off-semester studying in the library, then I heard panic, so I took a shortcut through a service tunnel—the one Jesse wanted me to activate his weapon in—to get to my office. There’s important artifacts there, I rehearsed again. That was my story, and I needed to stick to it.

I passed through a door in the back of the library, the one that acted as a barrier between wooden bookshelves and stone-arched hallways. It was dim, but I didn’t have my torchstone with me. The only magical item in my saddlebags was Jesse’s anti-magic ball.

The hallways twisted and turned, which made me appreciate how much time I’d spent rehearsing and memorizing at the map in Jesse’s home. As I barreled through intersections at top speed, counting the directions I needed to take, I distantly noted that I didn’t have time to think about what it was that I was doing—not anymore, at least.

This was war.

The fear of failure was the only thing I let myself acknowledge, and it tensed the muscles in my legs so much, they didn’t even feel tired. That’s a good thing, I decided.

And this was for the greater good, even if I still wondered if there was a better way for Jesse to spread his technology. It was too late to contemplate compromises, though; he’d put his bets in with an all-or-nothing plan, and here I was, the keystone in it.

I hoped that one day, I would forgive myself.

Once it was all said and done, I’d have to be able to say I would have done it all over again. I saw the stakes, I knew the rewards, and if there was ever anything worth risking my life over, this was it.

Another intersection flew behind me, and I only had two more turns until I got to the long hallway. Above it, in Canterlot Castle’s throne room… I blinked and shook my head quickly. There were two pillars I needed to be between when I turned on a ball, and then I wouldn’t be able to use magic for about a minute.

Jesse and I had both agreed that, before we met up again, it’d be best to wait for him to normalize with the fragments he was absorbing. What that meant for me was that I had no intention of stopping. I’d run through the hallway, turn on the device mid-stride, and I’d keep going until I was home safe in my Canterlot apartment.

This was war, but I was a civilian. Once I was done, I couldn’t do anything except wait for Jesse to finish his plan. Everything was bigger than I was, so hiding was the smartest thing to do. I couldn’t fight, I didn’t want to fight, I didn’t want—

I turned a corner and almost slammed into a Canterlot elite guard. We locked eyes, his gray horn glowed white, and his voice filled the hallway:

“State your business!”

“I… student.” All of my rehearsals and plans, and that’s what came out as. I pointed behind him. “The university’s this way, I… I heard shouts and commotion. I need to get to my office!”

His face and voice were a stone wall. “This is a restricted area. Show your authorization now.”

“I… I left m-my ID in the library. Checking out a book, I…” I didn’t have to fake tears as they swelled. “I’m sorry, I’ll go—”

For the second time in a little over a week, I felt myself being forcibly magicked off the ground by my neck. The all-too-familiar sensation of strangulation came back to me, and the guard below me shouted, “Canterlot is under heavy siege. Unauthorized personnel will be dealt with as mandated under new defensive protocols.”

I tried to say something, but things were starting to get spinny and light. I heard a gurgling sound, but it sounded far away.

A second voice cut through the haze: “Starlight, what are you doing?”

Air rushed back into my lungs as the guard’s grip loosened. He still kept me in the air, but as reality tightened around me, I saw a second guard rush over to us. They looked almost identical, even up close, or maybe I was too distracted to see their differences.

The first guard—the one I guessed was named Starlight—looked at his comrade. “Cram it, Shield. I caught her running through the hallways.”

“Student!” I wheezed.

The second guard shot a hard glare at Starlight. “Excellent. Captain Armor’s already going to be under duress, and you’ve seen it fit to assault a little schoolgirl?”

Maybe it was the indignation of being called a “little girl”, or maybe I was still running on adrenaline. Maybe, in the core of me, I still held a sense of duty to Jesse. Whatever it was, as soon as Starlight took his eyes off me, it seemed like a profoundly good idea to buck my hind leg down, straight on the tip of his horn.

I felt something crunch under my hoof, followed by screaming, followed by gravity. I hit the ground running, hoping against hope that I could outrun them. It’s one more intersection, I told myself. Once I got through there, I’d activate the orb and run straight to the throne room, to Jesse. He’d help me, especially if he were the only guy who could use magic.

Five feet from the intersection, I tripped. I lurched forward, but didn’t fall; that was when I noticed the glowing nimbus of magic all around me.

Then, a cold tingling spread across my body, flowing out from my left side—the saddlebag Jesse’s orb was in. I fell on my right side, but before I got up, I panicked and tried to use magic to open my bag and check on the orb.

Sure enough, I couldn’t. It was like my magic simply didn’t exist, and my horn was a dead growth of keratin sticking out of my forehead.

No…

Behind me, hooffalls approached, and I snapped my attention to the second stallion guard—the one whose name I didn’t catch.

He raised an eyebrow and muttered, “Perhaps Star wasn’t using excessive force after all.”

In that moment, I felt like I should have been frustrated to fail, so close to my destination. Eighty more feet, and I would have succeeded; now, I was out of the fight and Jesse was probably walking into a fight without any tactical support.

However, the only thing that crossed my mind was fear. Not fear of consequences or blowback or anything like that; immediate threats filled my stomach like a stone.

I managed to stammer out a quick whisper: “Please don’t hurt me.”

The guard standing over me scowled in disgust. I didn’t have time to defend myself; the last thing I saw was his gilded boot stomping straight down towards my temple.


A warning indicator flashed inside my mask, announcing that all chaos-powered functions of my armor were currently offline. I let myself smile; she’d accomplished her task. That left the remainder to me.

I took a quick glance at the map in the lower-left corner of my vision; by some strange fate, she was almost directly beneath me. Or, from what I saw, two larger equine figures were standing over what had to be her smaller, prone form. Logic concluded that she had been apprehended after helping me. Emotion screamed that I should rescue her.

Duty told me to continue with my mission.

I pressed on towards the throne room. My sonic-rendered map showed it as a plain room with vaulted ceilings and large windows; already, I knew the sisters who saw themselves as gods had made it into their cathedral.

A barrage of chaos hit my suit hard enough for alarms to warn of structural damage. I snapped my attention to the foolishly brave guard; he shouted, “You, stop right—”

It was a simple matter to will his armor to turn molten. I stood and watched, curiously, as he both caught on fire and liquefied in a glowing, screaming pool. By all logic, that close to the throne room, he should not have been able to command chaos.

Unless…

I peeked back at the map, where two guards were now carrying a limp form away. I realized that she was on the side of the hallway she would have entered through, which meant she had, in most likelihood, fired the nullifier where she had been apprehended.

I sneered. It had been a desperate attempt, but it was failure nonetheless. A moment’s recalculation, and then I took my grenade launcher off my back; if I couldn’t attack precisely, I would devastate.

As I ran the final distance to the throne room, I reactivated the systems of my armor that the errant pulse had taken offline. I also hovered my vision over the nuclear icon on the lower right; the suit asked for a confirmation passcode, but I blinked and shook my head. Things had not yet reached that stage.

The doors to the throne room were open, inviting; as soon as I barreled through the threshold, indicators inside my suit exploded in a cacophony of screeches and light. Nothing was damaged, but over a dozen sources of chaos were focused on keeping me rooted in place.

I looked around; as I’d expected, stained glass windows adorned comfortably lit walls in a hall fit for two queens. In front of me, several gray unicorns had formed a defensive perimeter in front of two thrones.

Only one was occupied. From it, a false sun-goddess’ voice asked, “What business do you have in my realm this evening?”

Quick analysis showed me the shape and structure of the spells that bound me in place—chaos-born pressure exerted on my position from every angle, leaving one glaring structural weakness.

First, however, I locked eyes with the despot. If she wished to parlay, I would grant her that much. By design, my armor amplified and distorted my voice when it was set to speak publicly. In a roaring bass, I commanded, “By authority of the Unified Terran Republic, you are hereby ordered to stand down and abdicate your subjugation.”

She looked shocked. Indeed, some of her loyal guards turned to face her, puzzled, waiting for her response. It came after she blinked and bowed her head. “The sovereign nation of Equestria does not negotiate with warmongers and murderers.”

I scoffed. “And I will carve that into your tomb.”

Then, I teleported forward two meters. I felt the shockwave of the spell collapsing behind me. I willed negation, and the lights extinguished themselves. Thirteen milky shields formed, and I remembered why subterfuge was an essential part of that tactic.

Nullification shields were worthless for defending against applied chaos, however. I lifted the group of twelve guards into the air and threw each of them through a window. Screaming led to shattering, which led to a horrified, white face staring down at me.

I locked my grenade launcher into my shoulder and fired.

She took flight, nimble enough to dodge even computer-aided predictive targeting. SMU-7 canisters hit the wall, ceiling, and pillars; when my weapon was empty, gaping holes grew in the room as it dissolved.

A blast of chaos-fire caught me off guard; I raised a shield, but it was too late. The inside of my armor grew hotter as the outside began melting. I tried to move, but without its pneumatic systems, the armor was merely cumbersome.

I removed the pieces of molten slag before they could melt through the jumpsuit below; instead of discarding them, I flung them at the false idol. Faster than rail-launched grenades, she couldn’t dodge all of them; my shin plate connected with her neck, followed by my left glove.

While she paused, dazed in midair, I was already flying up to her with a clenched right fist. She dodged, and a surprisingly sturdy wing buffet assaulted my head.

With only chaos to rely on, I condensed all the air in the room into a sphere. The remaining windows shattered in the vacuum, and her wings failed her. She fell, but before she impacted, I flung myself down, threw the ball of air, and released my hold on it.

It exploded, and she crashed into the ruined throne room’s floor. I landed next to her and summoned a black, crystalline blade in my right hand. Beneath me, she craned her head up at me, so I pressed the sword to her neck.

She yielded.

A thin trail of pale blood leaked from her mouth as she asked, “Why have you come here?” She sounded weak.

I knelt down, gripped her horn with my left fist, and began absorbing the fourth fragment of myself. As I did, I whispered to her horrified eyes: “I am salvation.

Naked human arms wrapped around my shoulders and crossed my chest. My blood ran cold, and I released the idol’s horn in shock. A female form pressed into my back, and a soothing whisper flowed into my ear: “Is it not time to rest, brother?”

I didn’t feel the knife blade enter my spine, but I felt my lower half collapse, numb.

She released me, and I fell, twisting to land on my back. My sword fell to the ground and shattered. I looked up to find a human woman with long, flowing hair the color of midnight. The only thing she wore was a tiny pendant around her neck, one of a crescent moon; in her hand, she carried a bloody, shimmering dagger that was the night.

I summoned chaos, only to find that it was incredibly difficult. I gazed up at her hallowed face, and in that moment, I understood.

It had all been for naught.

Her voice was placid twilight when she whispered one simple command:

Sleep, now. We shall speak when you awake from the nightmare.

I lost my final battle to remain conscious; beneath her, for the first time in eight millennia, I drifted off into slumber.