• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 1,811 Views, 1 Comments

(SiC) Part 9 - Sailing Through The Storm - Brian Jacko



Sailing through the storm is never fun. It can be dangerous and scary, but also necessary. The ponies are facing some of the hardest times of their lives, some much worse than others. Could this be the end of SiC, or will they somehow prevail?

  • ...
0
 1
 1,811

A Big Storm is Brewing

Rainbow Dash was now home. She looked up at the clock and saw that it was getting late, but Soarin' had been getting home later and later it seemed. She had to start making dinner within a few hours, so she trotted over to the fridge and opened it up. To her surprise, there was nothing in the fridge for dinner and there was certainly nothing in the freezer as well. She had to get going to the store and fast. Rainbow Dash ran into the living room, grabbed her saddle bags and put them on herself. She didn't know what she was buying at this moment, but she was sure that she could find something since Soarin' wasn't a picky eater. Cooking actual meals, or what could be called, Soarin' sized meals was a new experience for her. She didn't consider herself very good at making meals, and by no means did she enjoy it, but this was a new life and sacrifices had to be made somewhere for each other. For Soarin', she'd give up her whole day to attempt to make him good food if he wanted because she truly did love him that much. She guessed that the one good thing about her new struggles was that it helped her focus on other, more important things in their marriage rather than spending time trying to be the best that she possibly could be when it came to sports and fitness.

It was a good thing that they had opened a Pony-mart not too far from where she lived. She left the house and flew over to the shopping center. She hated going there because shopping was boring to her and it didn't help that there was almost always long lines to wait in, but it had to be done. Rainbow Dash entered the store and walked up and down the aisles while putting things into the shopping cart that she was pushing. It seemed that each time she'd go to pick up something else, she'd find yet another thing that they needed. She also wanted to make sure that she got every single item needed that she could possibly think of since going back to the store for one or two forgotten things was beyond annoying to her. Rainbow Dash knew that Soarin' ate like a house on fire and she still had quite an appetite even though she was hardly active these days. To her, it was as if her body was constantly combating some kind of illness and the pain flare-ups also made her very hungry regardless of how sedentary she could be.

"Celery, carrots, bread," Rainbow Dash said as she shoved each item into the cart. "I think that covers it all." Just as she was getting ready to check out, she saw a huge sale on pies. Apple, Pecan, and Pumpkin. All on sale and set on display in a way that practically begged for her to pick one up. She fought the temptation despite how nice the display looked since she was trying to cut Soarin' back on these kinds of foods and once as a top tier athlete, eating treats like this was not a good idea. Soarin' also had a way of finding foods that were hidden no matter how well she tried to hide them. She decided to pass it up and head over to the check out counter. She was thankful that for once there was no pony in line.

Rainbow Dash quickly placed the items from the cart onto the conveyor belt and proceeded to the opposite side where she would be cramming everything into her saddle bags.

The clerk gave her an odd look. "Feeding Princess Celestia's entire army or something?" he asked.

"Nope, " Rainbow Dash said with an awkward smirk. "It's just for me and my special stallion. Mostly for him. Actually, way more of this stuff is for him."

"It looks as if you're feeding a top tier Wonderbolt!" the clerk said as he grabbed an item and punched in the price into the register.

Rainbow Dash smiled. "Well, that's actually not a lie."

"You feed a Wonderbolt?" the clerk asked.

"Feed a Wonderbolt?" Rainbow asked. "I'm only married to the best one!"

The clerk stared at Rainbow Dash's mane for a few moments and then it hit him. "You're Rainbow Dash and you're married to Soarin', aren't you?"

Rainbow Dash nodded her head yes quickly and proudly.

"I can't believe all the stories I've heard about you!" The clerk said as he dropped her bag of carrots in excitement. "I read the stories about you shattering every Wonderbolt's record! My brother is such a huge fan of yours and he told me a story that you had some kind of freak accident that made you halt your Wonderbolt's dream."

Rainbow looked away rather sad now. "Yeah," she sighed.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe someday you'll get it back and fly with them again."

"I'm kind of afraid that it may distract me from what I really need to focus on, but knowing me, I bet if I had the chance and felt better, I'd go for it in a heart beat, but I just don't feel that's something I should ever try to do again."

"Why not?" the clerk asked.

"Because I think I need to focus on other things in my life and getting ready for new experiences," Rainbow replied.

"The clerk picked up a bag of celery and punched the price into the register. "What kind of new experiences?"

Rainbow Dash shoved some cans into her bag and looked up at the stallion. "You're really nosy, aren't you?" she asked.

"My apologies," he said. "This job can get quite boring and I sometimes talk too much, but what kind of new experiences if you don't mind telling me?"

Rainbow Dash sighed at how personal this conversation was getting. "I'd like to become a mother."

"Oh, well, I'm sure that you'd make a great mother."

"Gee, thanks," Rainbow said as she continued to stuff more food into her saddle bags.

The clerk was tempted to probe her with more questions, but he sensed that this was enough. It was as if Rainbow Dash had this sort of magical aura that gave off mass appeal to almost everypony and was always active whether she was well or sick.

"Okay, your total is two hundred and twenty five bits, please."

"Two hundred and twenty five bits?" Rainbow thought to herself. She knew that changing their diet to organic, thanks to Applejack's rants about it was expensive and Soarin' had the appetite of at least four grown stallions, but still, coming to the store usually wasn't this much of a shock to her when it came to paying up. At least Soarin' was bringing in some extra money from working over time. Rainbow Dash gave the clerk a large bag of two hundred bits and a smaller one of twenty five.

After the clerk poured out the bags of bits and counted them on the counter, he put an orange sticker on her saddle bags signifying that she had paid for what was inside. "Have a nice day, Miss Dash. I hope to see you again soon."

"Thanks, take care," Rainbow Dash said as she turned her back to him.

"Wait! I mean, excuse me, Miss Dash," the clerk called out.

Rainbow Dash turned back to him and noticed that he had pushed over a pen and a sheet of paper. "Huh?"

"Would you mind signing an autograph for my brother? He's been a huge fan of yours ever since you pulled off the world's first sonic rainboom."

"Well, sure. I can do that for him." Rainbow grabbed the pen.

"Wait!" the clerk said.

"Okay, now what?" Rainbow asked.

"Please use this pen instead. My brother from Fillydelphia gave it to me when I moved to Ponyville for just this occasion. It's rainbow colored ink." The clerk pushed the pen over to her.

Rainbow Dash took it and signed her name on the paper. Sure enough, the ink was rainbow colored. She had carefully signed her name on the paper as neatly as she could. She put the pen down and looked up at the stallion as if he were going to ask her to do something else.

His eyes lit up with excitement as he took the pen and paper back. "Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much this will brighten up his day when I go back to visit my family!"

"You're welcome. I'm sure I'll be back again soon knowing how much my spouse eats," Rainbow Dash said with an awkward smile.

The stallion laughed and then proceeded to help the next customer in line.

Rainbow Dash left the store and the security guard gave her a friendly nod when he saw the special sticker on her saddle bags. She spread her wings and took off into the air, but a strong gust of wind nearly brought her back down to the ground.

"Wow, I almost forgot how heavy these bags are, especially when I haven't gone shopping in a while. This storm looks like it's going to be a killer too." Rainbow realized that she'd probably be better off walking most of the way home with this heavy luggage and this incoming storm. Her bags were over packed to the top with all kinds of goodies and she was barely able to button each side. She looked about as clunky and cumbersome as her pet tortoise, Tank. She was thinking about Pinkie right now and was kind of hoping that she wouldn't bump into her. She was a bit spooked because of that whole incident she had earlier with her. She knew Pinkie seemed to be a bit manic ever since she had known her, but she had been getting worse as time went on. Rainbow felt it was only a matter of time before she would end up in the pillow room, locked away for a while. Rainbow's nostrils twitched with delight at the scent of rain in the air. She had to get going fast before she got caught in a down pour.

BANG!

The sound of thunder and the flash of lightning in the distance made her jump a bit. She was rather annoyed at that. Getting scared was something that she didn't like and thunder only used to frighten her when she was a little filly. It seemed that ever since that traumatic experience when those two mares used lighting to hurt her, she had been more afraid again. Rainbow Dash felt something heavy clunk against her hoof. She looked down and noticed that one of her cans that she had bought fell from her bag and was rolling down the hill.

"Son of a biscuit," Rainbow muttered as she chased after it. She felt rather clumsy as she tried to keep her balance with the giant saddle bags on her back. She looked even more ridiculous carrying all of this stuff as she chased after the can that eventually landed against a rock. Rainbow Dash picked up the can and stuffed it back into her bag. She was about to head back, when she noticed a rather familiar looking pony heading towards the door of one of the small houses in the distance. "Is that," Rainbow Dash paused for a moment as she squinted her eyes to make out exactly who it was. "Soarin'?" she asked, completely shocked that he wasn't home by now and that he was walking to some strangers house it seemed.

When he got to the door, he knocked on it and it opened immediately. A very young looking mare with an amber colored coat and an orange colored mane and tail popped her head out and smiled at him. Soarin' looked around from left to right as if he was making sure that nopony would see him. He took out a bag of bits and gave it to her. The young mare gladly took the bag of bits and welcomed him inside.

Rainbow Dash tried to make out who she was, but she couldn't see very well, not to mention that her cutie mark was hidden from her view inside the house. She stood there in disbelief. "No, just no!" she shouted out. "I can't believe he would go back to doing something like this again! This can't be happening, not when we're married! My God, this hurts so much." Rainbow Dash walked over to the house and knocked on the door. The feeling of her heart breaking was great at this moment.

There was no answer.

She knocked louder several times, but yet they were either ignoring her or they couldn't hear her depending on which room they were in.

BANG!

Another crackle of thunder rang out through the skies. Rainbow Dash couldn't wait around here any longer. She felt the raindrops land down on her coat. She had to get going home and fast. She was starving and her mind was running wild at this moment. Just married and she had already caught him with another mare. Rainbow Dash hurried on home and had just enough energy and strength to make it up to their house. She opened up the door, stepped inside and slammed the door shut behind her. The moment she did that, the rain came pouring down in torrents and more thunder began to boom with great intensity. She leaned against the door and put her front hoof to her head as she closed her eyes. Her emotions were running wild and she wanted to cry, but she refused to do so. Rainbow Dash walked into the kitchen, placed the heavy saddle bags on the table and shook her body like a dog to get her coat dry, a neat little trick she learned from Fluttershy. She didn't feel like making dinner, but it didn't matter right now. She wasn't even angry, she was heart broken and that heartbreak made her crash into a deep depression. She tried to ignore the possibilities of what Soarin' was doing with that mare. She was already bound to him for life and there was nothing she could do about that, nor even wanted to because she was loyal. Loyal to her God and loyal to her spouse, no matter what the situation.

There was no time for tears or regret, she had to get moving. She took out some pots and she was going to make something quick. Chili with brown rice sounded good and she started on it. The entire time, her mind was flashing back to the previous days before they were married. She remembered Twilight's warning that the best way to predict someone's outcome in the future is usually determined by their past. She knew that getting married wouldn't all of a sudden get rid of every single lustful desire, but she really felt that Soarin' was guided by the Spirit, unless she just thought wrong. She remembered the day of his confession and repentance. She remembered how he tried so hard to stay pure and even ended up getting confused by what's good and sacred in marriage. It would have to be quite a cruel and evil act to go through all that they had been through only to play off their fledgling marriage like it was meaningless.

Rainbow Dash finished preparing dinner and placed it down on the dining room table. She took her seat closest to the steaming pots, but did not eat. She decided to wait for her husband and hoped that he'd be in soon and get done with God only knows what he was doing with that mare.

Within a few moments, Soarin' came in the house drenched from the down pouring rain. He dried himself off with a towel nearby and sat down in front of Dash. He was a little bit surprised to see her with her front legs crossed against her chest and she had a pouty look on her face.

"Um, sorry I'm late, Dash. You didn't have to wait for me to eat, you know."

Rainbow Dash didn't say a word. Her eyes were angrily locked onto him as if she were staring a hole through his soul.

"Dash? Hello?" Soarin' asked.

Rainbow Dash finally spoke. "Do you want to tell me exactly why you were extra late today? How long has this been going on for?"

Soarin' had a dumb founded look on his face. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Rainbow Dash was down to her last nerve. She put both her front hooves down on the table and spoke in a slightly annoyed tone of voice. "I happened to notice you with that amber mare with the orange mane and tail and you were giving her money. Don't lie to me or act like it didn't happen. Is our marriage really that meaningless to you?"

Soarin' gulped. "I....uh....It's not what it looks like, I swear."

"Then tell me what business do you have with that mare."

"I can't say right now because it would ruin everything. I didn't really expect you to find out so soon. I need more time."

"More time for what? I caught you, and you won't even confess? What is wrong with you? I thought you loved me and was dedicated."

"I am," Soarin' replied with a smirk. "That's why I'm seeing this pony, to show my love and dedication for you in a new way."

"Soarin', you make no sense right now. Why not just spend all your time with me?"

"Of course it doesn't' make sense to you right now. This is part of the surprise!"

Rainbow Dash didn't know what to believe or say. If this was his excuse to not admit to what Rainbow saw, it was a terrible one. She didn't trust him now and she wasn't sure what she would or even could do about this situation.

Soarin' looked around the table at all the pots and then smiled awkwardly. "May we start eating, Dash?"

Rainbow Dash still had a pouty look on her face, but she took the lid off the pot of chili and pushed it over to Soarin'.

Soarin' took the pot and emptied most of it onto his plate. He was extra hungry today after his long day with the Wonderbolts. He drove his face into the food and chewed loudly with great pleasure.

She watched him devour his food as if he didn't have the slightest care in the world or had any conscience.

Soarin' picked his head up, already finished with his first serving. "Aren't you going to eat, Dash?" he asked with food all over his face.

Rainbow Dash sighed and took the pot. Knowing Soarin', he'd be able to finish this meal for six ponies by himself. She took her portion of food and slid the pot back over to him. Even though she was starving, she had no appetite to eat after what she saw today.

Soarin' took the pot and gladly piled the rest onto his plate.

Rainbow Dash was beginning to realize that he didn't need a plate to eat off of and she could save time by having to wash one less dish if she just let him eat out of the pot.

The two ponies quickly finished dinner and no matter how much he begged, she wasn't going to let him have the tiniest slice of apple pie.

Soarin' looked at the bedroom and then back to Dash. "So....."

It didn't take a mind reader to know what he was thinking. "FINE!" she said. She knew he didn't deserve this, but at least this would be someway of getting her frustrations out at the moment.