• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 1,531 Views, 223 Comments

Desert Spice - Bugsydor



Spicy never thought she'd warm up to the culture of the Pegasopian Desert. Or to its inhabitants. Sequel to Tastes Like Heresy.

  • ...
2
 223
 1,531

Chapter 1: A Break in the Routine

Horizon

“Be a vanguard,” they said. “See the world,” they said. Well, I became a vanguard and I’m seeing the world. Only problem with that is the world is flat. You do see huge swaths of land long before anypony else lays eyes on it. Thing is, all you see is more desert earth and sand, the same distant mountains, and the occasional oasis… The oases are nice, at least.

“Hey Horizon! Got a bogey coming in low and fast. Looks like he’s making a bee-line for our cloud bank!”

And bandits. Can’t forget those… *sigh*

“I’m on it, Sweep,” I reply as I angle myself for a dive.

I flick out my hoof spikes and dive forehooves-first to intercept the intruder. This part of the job would almost be fun if it didn’t make me almost feel sorry for the poor fools trying to raid us. This one doesn’t even have any back armor.

A perfect collision: My foreleg hoof spikes impale the would-be thief, he screams and then gurgles his surprise at getting caught, gets shoved off of my spikes by my rear hooves, and plummets to take a very extended nap in the sand and sun. I shake a bit of bandit juice off of my spikes and flick them back up, another encounter resolved.

Well, that fills this week’s “excitement” quota. Now it’s back to watching dirt, and making sure it doesn’t do anything suspicious. I guess there’s a chance somepony else might go for our clouds, but I doubt there’s another bogey for days. Would be nice if we came across some lost supplies. Happens once in a blue moon, but one time Sweep and I found a skin of te— Now what do we have here?

“Sweep, there’s something on the ground. It looks like a pony. I don’t remember dropping this one. Looks weird, too.”

“How weird?”

“For one thing, I can’t see any wings.”

“Huh. You don’t figure it’s a—”

“Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. Whatever it is, it probably won’t last long in this heat. Sweep? Get some nugget to cover my airspace. I’m going in.”

“Wait! What if it’s a siren? Or a succubus? Or a vampire?!”

“Or maybe it’s a leprecorn and it’ll show me to its pot of gold,” I snark with an aileron roll to go with my rolling eyes.

“Really though,” I assure him, “I think I’m safe. It would have burned up by now if it were a vampire. If it’s a siren, it’d have to drag me a long ways before it found a pool to drown me in, and I trust you to save me long before it comes to that. And if it’s a succubus? Well, at least you’d have something interesting to report back about my demise. Maybe I’ll even get her to name a poniculus after you.”

“Okay, whatever!” he said in a fluster, “Just be careful, okay Rize?”

“Don’t worry, Sweep, I’ll be fine.”

And so I begin my downward spiral. Maybe it’ll be nice, picking a pony up off the ground instead of shooting him down there.

Getting closer, I can see the downed pony better. For starters, it, or really she, clearly doesn’t have wings. Didn’t lose them either. No nubs or scars on her back I can see; just never had any to begin with. I guess that coat of hers might be hiding some scars, with how fluffy it is. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Time to land and get a closer look.

Actually, she doesn’t look that bad, aside from being a bit on the chubby side. Not too bulky, either; she’s no rabid ground pounding berserker, that’s for sure. Wonder how she’d look without all the mats and sweat in her fur?

Unconscious, but still breathing, so that’s a good sign. Is there anything useful in those saddlebags?

Wow. These things are a lot bigger on the inside. Salt, ladels, cakes, weird metal contraption… It’s like someone took the entire mess tent and stuffed it in a room. And yet there’s not a drop of water to be found. How’d she even get this far?

Well, better prep her for transport.

Okay. Commandeer her saddlebags so they don’t slide off on the way over, do your best to slip some water down her throat, and take her pointed gold, silver, and purple hat off of her head and put it into her bag so it doesn’t fall off in transit. What kind of characters usually wear hats like that again? Wizards? Explorers?

There was a horn under that hat. Huh.

Today’s looking to be a bit less boring than expected.

—_(\\_/\_//)_—

Amber Spice

Urgh… how much did I have to drink last night to deserve this? So hot, and my head hurts like… something that really hurts.

I wiggle a bit, to find I’m waking up in somepony’s arms. Huh. That’s… actually never happened before. Oh for the love of Lanthanum, don’t let it somehow be Pierce. Whoever it is is holding me up pretty tight.

Holding me up. That’s weird… I’ll worry about that once my head hurts less.

“Urgh… Stocky, this is the last time I try your salmonberry brandy, honeyjack, and saffron cocktails,” I mumble not quite coherently as my head lolls to the side.

“She’s awake, and she talks. This day keeps getting more and more interesting,” the stallion carrying me muses aloud.

That’s not a voice I’m familiar with at all. A little distressing, but not unheard of. His word choice felt a bit oddly insulting, though, like I’m an animal he just found on the side of the road.

Wait. Carrying. With all four legs. Something isn’t quite adding up here.

It sure is windy here, and turbulent. Where the hay am I? Gee, Spicy, maybe you should actually pry your eyes open and look down to find out.

“Ack! It sure is bright out here.”

Okay. Lots of orange-brown crackly earth and golden sand. Like a dessert I’d invented for the King. Dessert…

Desert. Oh. That’s the Pegasopian Desert below me. Never seen it this close.

Below me.

Below me.

Well. That explains the draft, at least. That doesn’t explain how I’m up here, though. Maybe the stallion carrying me has an idea?

I look back up, and I see some leather, some metal bits, and sweet-merciful-Terra-I-think-those-are-wings.

My eyes snap shut again.

Okay, Spicy, take a deep breath. There’s no need to panic. Yet.

“Excuse me, but are you a p-p-pegasus?”

“Yep.”

“And you’re flying away with me?”

“Also yep.”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!”