• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 992 Views, 17 Comments

Book of the Hunter - Shadow Lord Malice



Rainbow Dash finds an unusual write it yourself storybook in Twilight's library. Deciding to check it out, she takes it home to give it a whirl. What she wasn't expecting was for the book to be enchanted, bringing her to a new world.

  • ...
6
 17
 992

The Strange Book

"So Rainbow, find anything you like?" Asked Twilight as she looked up at her friend, who was hovering in the air while perusing the top shelves.

"Nothing yet." Rainbow replied. It had taken a lot of convincing, but Twilight had finally managed to talk Rainbow Dash into reading something other than Daring Do. Currently the two were at Golden Oaks library, and had been there for at least an hour trying to find a book that caught the rainbow maned pegasus' attention. Unfortunately, if the book didn't sound completely awesome, Rainbow wasn't interested.

"Come on Rainbow, we've been at this for an hour now. Just pick something already." The alicorn said in exasperation.

"Hey, we're not all eggheads here Twilight. If I'm gonna read something it's gotta be at least as awesome as Daring Do." Rainbow retorted. Twilight let out a frustrated grunt, to a bookworm like her, this was madness.

"Fine, I'll be helping Spike reorganize the shelves. Come get me when you've found something." She replied with a huff, and trotted off, leaving Rainbow Dash alone. Rainbow Dash continued to look for another fifteen minutes, and grew more and more bored with each passing second. Just as she was about to call it quits, a small stack of books collecting dust on top of one of the bookshelves caught her eye. Deciding there was no harm in checking it out, Rainbow Dash flapped over to the stack and began looking through it. It wasn't a large stack, only ten books, and Rainbow Dash was quickly losing interest as she looked at the titles. Most of the stack comprised of outdated textbooks and such, and a few old novels that didn't sound all that interesting. However, the last book at the bottom of the stack caught her eye. It was the only book in the stack, in the whole library actually, that did not have a title on the spine. Curiosity piqued, the pegasus pony retrieved the book and found no title present on the cover either. The cover itself was a dark navy blue, with gold bands along the spine. Flipping it open, Rainbow raised an eyebrow at what she saw. The book was describing some sort of coastal village nestled on a deserted island, inhabited by strange bipedal creatures. Leafing through the pages, she saw information on other locales and environments, none of which matched anything found in Equestria. Flipping through the pages a bit more, Rainbow found something that really looked curious.

"What's this?" She muttered as she read into what she was seeing, which was some kind of drawing of a strange creature. "Ooh-rah-gun. Lives in volcanic regions. mainly travels by curling into a ball and rolling. Subsists on metal ores found in bedrock, and welds stones onto it's body with lava for purposes unknown. What kind of creature is that?" Leafing through the pages once more, Rainbow found information on more and more strange creatures. However, once she got past the information on all the creatures, the rest of the book was empty. The book itself was not light, and only a small portion was filled with the information she had leafed through. "Maybe Twi'll know what this book is." She said to herself, and with that in mind, went over to her alicorn friend, who was just finishing her book sorting.

"Oh hey Rainbow, find anything?" Twilight asked, to which the pegasus nodded and handed the strange book over to the librarian.

"Yeah, I found this weird book with all this cool info in it." She said as the book became cloaked in soft magenta light and floated over to Twilight. Opening the book, Twilight's face creased in confusion, and grew only deeper when she looked through it further. When she reached the blank pages, she closed the book and looked it over, turning it this way and that, trying to make sense of it.

"Where did you find this book?" She asked Rainbow Dash.

"It was on top of one of the bookcases in a stack of other old books. I brought it over to you to see if you knew what it was about." Rainbow replied.

"Huh, I've never seen this book before, but if I had to guess, it looks to be a write your own adventure novel." Upon seeing the pegasus' face, Twilight knew she lost her. "You write your own story in the book with the information it gives you." That got Rainbow Dash interested, and although she wasn't sure of her story writing skills, the book sure sounded a lot more interesting than anything else she had seen in the egghead's library.

"Hmm, I think I'll take it." She said with a grin.

"Are you sure? I mean, you do realize you have to write the story, right?" Twilight asked.

"I know, and it sounds fun."

"Well if you're sure, alright then. Just wait a minute ok." With that, Twilight walked over to her desk and levitated out of it a bottle of ink, and a quill pen. Both items were then obscured briefly by a flash of light, and Twilight brought them over to the confused pegasus. "Here you go Rainbow. I put an enchantment on the ink and quill so that if you brush at whatever you've written with the feather, it erases it, just in case you make a mistake or want to change something."

"Hey, thanks Twilight." Said Rainbow with a grin as she took the book, ink and quill and put them in her saddlebag. With that done, Rainbow Dash raced home, appearing to the ponies below as a rainbow blur. Soon she was within her home, book open to the first empty page, and Rainbow tapping the book furiously with the feather of the quill as she tried to think of a way to start her epic adventure. Soon she had set the quill down and had started flying around the room trying to think of a way o start the story. "Ooh, how do I start this? Maybe I start off as a rookie hunter rising to the top. Or maybe I'm already a pro and am going to hunt something huge." As she thought out loud, the open book began to emit a soft light. Said light began to increase the more Rainbow Dash spouted out ideas, and soon the pegasus began to take notice. Rainbow Dash approached the glowing book warily, remembering her other encounter with such a thing that involved her and her friends getting pulled into one of Spike's comic books. Looking at the glowing pages, Rainbow's jaw practically hit the floor, for she was staring into another world. Her vision raced across a rocky coast, as sea monsters swam through the waters. Suddenly it shifted as she witnessed a large flying monster try to snatch a sea creature out of the water, but missed, only for a massive sea monster to rush out of the depths and breach the surface, it's prize gripped in it's jaws. Once more Rainbow's vision took to the skies, and she was flying away from the ocean and towards the land, towards a group of hunters fighting a pack of small monsters led by a much larger one. Suddenly, she was underwater, the sea monster from before chasing her to shore. Reaching land, her vision turned back to see the monster breach the surface, blue lightning dancing over it's body. Then she was on land again, the flying monster from before slamming down on the pack leader, and spitting out a fireball which impacted one of the hunters, sending him flying. Again the scenery shifted, this time to a scorching volcano, where she was cornered by a monster with blunt forelimbs that pounded the surroundings, leaving a green slime behind. just as the monster went in for a strike, the spell faded and she was once again in her room

"Whoa." She said in a daze. "What was that?" Looking back at the book, she was shocked to see words on the page when she hadn't written a thing yet.

Do you desire adventure? Was what was written upon the page.

"Do I desire adventure? What kind of question is that? Of course I do." She answered aloud. The words on the page then faded, and were replaced by new ones.

Then defeat the living disaster, and let your story unfurl. Before Rainbow could even question what that meant, the book exploded into light, pulling the startled pegasus within before she could make any kind of reaction. The light then faded, and the book snapped shut, a title upon it's cover where there once was none.

Journey of a Hunter