• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 12,333 Views, 306 Comments

The Sun and Moon - BurnedPigeon



What happens when the Sun and Moon are given a body of an alicorn? Come and join them as they set out in Equestria!

  • ...
28
 306
 12,333

Chapter 10

Distant Shadow

________________________________________

Under the twirling sky of light and dark, Luna walks in small steps towards the dry land of stone in front of her. Her eyes remain in a dagger gaze, focusing on Nightmare Moon, the latter, sitting behind a round table and yawning into a hoof.

"Will you hurry up? Or are you just going to take your time, looking at me with that ridiculous look on your face?" asks Nightmare, lifting a brow.

"And why should I listen? Besides, I have the right to be wary of anypony, including you," says Luna, glaring.

"And here I thought you were grateful to me all those years ago…" says Nightmare, sighing.

"And I was a fool to ask for your help!" says Luna, stopping in front of the round table, and pointing a hoof at Nightmare.

"Then do you regret asking me?" asks Nightmare, furrowing her brows.

"Of course! Thanks to you, I betrayed the trust and friendship of everypony I cherished the most long ago, including my sister!" says Luna, baring her teeth as tears well up in her eyes.

"And what has that trust and friendship left you with? Oh, that's right, nothing!" says Nightmare, glaring.

"Y-you're wrong…" says Luna, frowning.

"Wrong? Do I have to remind you that those ponies, including your sister, failed to understand you all those years ago!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof.

"No. Even now, I realized that it was selfish and foolish of me refusing to lower the Moon to bring about the day…" says Luna, gathering her brows in.

"You've changed, Luna…" says Nightmare, huffing.

"And it's thanks to the many friends I made now that helped me realize the error of my ways. Even now, the bond between Tia and I grows stronger each day," says Luna with a small smile.

Lifting a hoof, Nightmare slams it to the side of the round table, sending it into the air in pieces. She stands to her hooves, walking before stopping in front of Luna with their faces barely touching.

"You of all ponies don't have the right to speak about friends when you betrayed me!" says Nightmare, baring her teeth.

"How… how could I betray you when we were never friends in the first place!" says Luna, glaring.

"Because I believed we were friends!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof and cracking the stone floor below.

"Wh-what are you talking about?" asks Luna with an open mouth.

"Don't you realize it yet! I thought of you as a friend! I cared about you! I trusted you, Luna! But how dare you trample over my feelings by mentioning anything about friends when you sealed me away!" says Nightmare, clenching her teeth as tears well up in her eyes.

"You're lying! Why should I believe you when you ruined my life all those years ago!" says Luna, stomping a hoof.

"Because it was all for you!" says Nightmare, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"What?" asks Luna, her eyes widening.

"Luna, I came into existence because I wanted revenge for the ponies that ridiculed you, especially Tia for not giving the time to hear you out! The feelings of despair and helplessness built up within you was so unbearable that I couldn't watch anymore!" says Nightmare, clenching a hoof.

"But I never wanted revenge! I just wanted a chance to show ponies that the night was something they could enjoy too!" says Luna, placing a hoof on her chest.

"Don't lie to yourself, Luna. The feelings you had then were real, and I took over to protect you from the ponies that would dare mock you…" says Nightmare, her horn giving off a dark aura.

"Wh-what is this!" says Luna, looking down and noticing dark claws grasping her hooves tightly.

"Know this, Luna, those are the same things that dragged me into the abyss when you trapped me in your consciousness…" says Nightmare with a frown.

"NO!" says Luna, her eyes shrinking as her horn glows blue, shrouding the same light around the dark claws. However, the blue light disperses along with her horn's glow. "Why can't I stop it! This place was supposed to be under my control!"

"Oh, not anymore," says Nightmare with a small laugh. "You see, when you were looking for me by snooping around in the dreams of ponies from all over Equestria, I followed you, stealing what little magic each dream had to offer, and before I knew it, I had all this power surging through me!"

"Y-you used me?" asks Luna with wide eyes.

"Of course! And now I'm confident that you, Tia, Cadance, and that infuriating Twilight Sparkle are no match for me, even when you're together!" says Nightmare, grinning.

"Please, Nightmare Moon, if you believe we're friends, don't do this! I-I don't want to be alone again!" says Luna, tears welling up in her eyes.

"And did you bother to think of how I felt when you trapped me in a dark, cold place, even though we went through the same fate together all those years ago!" says Nightmare, glaring.

"And I'm sorry I did that to you!" says Luna, reaching out a hoof to Nightmare. "I know I can't make amends now, but if you give me a chance-"

"Never!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof. "I will carry out my revenge on Equestria, even if I have to go through you! Oh, and one more thing, Luna. Have you ever wondered why I'm free? I'll give you a hint. It's a certain pony that is the embodiment of the very thing you raised every night!"

"M-Moon?" says Luna, her eyes widening. She then glares. "What does he have to do with this!"

"Everything! Ever since you first met him, he caused your emotions to waver, and for a brief moment, it allowed me to escape! After you're gone, Luna, the first thing I'll do is go see Moon as yourself!" says Nightmare with a grin. Her horn then glows blue, wrapping a similar light around herself as a flash of light appears before revealing her blue coat and flowing purple mane.

"N-no, no, no… NO! Leave Moon out of this! He already suffered enough!" says Luna, tears trailing down her cheeks.

"That's exactly why he will come to understand me. Goodbye, Luna…" says Nightmare, frowning.

Moon, Moon, Moon… thinks Luna, closing her eyes as a part of her face sinks into the dark rift below. "I'm sorry…" she says as her entire face sinks in the dark rift and disappears into thin air.

________________________________________

Up in the sky, a golden chariot cuts through the wind while being pulled by three pegasi in gold armor. However, in the chariot, a white pegasi looks at the horizon with a distant look in his eyes.

I can't believe I argued with Princess Twilight… thinks the white pegasi, placing both hooves over his face and dragging them down.

"Highwind, is there something troubling thee?" asks a voice.

"Huh?" says Highwind, looking to his side, noticing a white alicorn with a frown. "U-uh, it's nothing, Prince Sun," he says, waving off a hoof.

"If thou sayest so," says Sun, blinking.

"A-anyway, isn't it great that we're going back to the castle?" asks Highwind, rubbing his head with a hoof. Because I am! I don't ever want to go back to Ponyville again…

"I do not know. Though I wish to stay in Ponyville longer, I also wish to have more of the bread that Celestia eats…" says Sun, his mouth opening slightly as drool seeps out.

"I-I see…" says Highwind with a sheepish grin. Is food all you ever think about! he thinks, sighing. He then turns his head, seeing a blue alicorn. "What about you, Prince Moon? Aren't you glad to go back to the castle?"

"Ah…" says Moon, blinking. He then shakes his head. "Forgive me, Highwind, it seems I was lost in thought…"

"Is there something wrong, Your Highness?" asks Highwind, drawing his brows together.

"I do not know. But for a moment, I heard Luna…" says Moon, frowning.

"Weird. I didn't hear anything. What about you, Prince Sun?" asks Highwind, blinking.

"Nay," says Sun, shaking his head.

"Maybe you're just tired from today, Prince Moon," says Highwind with a small laugh.

"Perhaps so, but I still worry for Luna…" says Moon with a watery gaze.

"Moon…" says Sun, wrinkling his brows.

Geh! I-I have to cheer them up somehow! thinks Highwind, biting a hoof. "Prince Moon, don't worry about Princess Luna! I bet she's fine! O-oh, look! We're here at the castle!" he says, pointing a hoof.

Looking below from inside the chariot, Sun and Moon notice Canterlot Castle glowing in an orange hue as the Sun in the horizon casts its warm light.

"S-so, what do you both think of the view?" asks Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"I do not know…" says Moon, smiling as his eyes reflect the orange glow of the castle.

"Words cannot describe it…" says Sun, gazing at the sunset with a small smile.

Well, at least they're smiling… thinks Highwind, sighing.

As the chariot descends, it lands smoothly on the ground before coming to a stop next to the drawbridge of the castle.

"All right, Your Highnesses, out of the chariot!" says Highwind, jumping off the chariot.

"Aye," says Moon, placing a hoof on the ground and walks out of the chariot.

Sun nods his head and follows behind Moon.

"Now then, Pleasant, Summer, Top Notch, bring the chariot to the back of the castle and return to the barracks!" says Highwind.

"Yes, sir!" says Pleasant, Summer, and Top Notch, saluting.

"Oh, before we leave, Prince Moon, Prince Sun, did you enjoy Ponyville?" asks Pleasant, smiling.

"Aye, and I wish to visit again," says Moon, smiling.

"We have learned much today," says Sun with a smile.

"That's good. It's great to go out and see the world for yourself," says Pleasant, grinning.

"What about you, sir? How was your time off?" asks Summer, blinking.

"Don't think for a second that I forgot about that stunt you three pulled…" says Highwind, glaring.

"Yeah, yeah, we get it," says Top Notch, waving off a hoof. "We just wanted to know what happened, that's all."

"Ugh, do you have to ask? Well, I guess it was good, except for some ponies I met…" says Highwind, rubbing a hoof down his face.

"Were they mares?" asks Summer, raising a brow.

"Yeah…" says Highwind, huffing.

"Were they cute?" asks Top Notch, blinking.

"You should consider asking somepony else instead of me…" says Highwind, clicking his tongue.

"Your Highnesses, what did you think of the mares in Ponyville?" asks Summer, blinking.

"Yeah, were there some attractive ones?" asks Top Notch, smirking.

"Please say yes. I mean, the mares here in Canterlot are kind of… meh," says Pleasant, rolling his eyes.

"Forgive me, but I do not understand…" says Moon, frowning.

"Attractive?" asks Sun, tilting his head.

Ugh! Prince Sun and Prince Moon are the last ponies these idiots should be asking! thinks Highwind, twitching an eye. "H-hey, guys, how about we just call it a day-"

"U-uh, speaking of mares, looks like two of them are coming this way!" says Pleasant, pointing a hoof.

Following Pleasant's hoof, a pink and dark unicorn is seen walking across the drawbridge.

"A-anyway, sir, we'll be on our way!" says Summer with a sheepish grin.

"Y-yeah!" says Pleasant with a wide grin.

"You idiots! Let's get out of here already!" says Top Notch, his face dripping with sweat.

"R-right!" says Pleasant and Summer, nodding quickly.

Together, Summer, Pleasant, and Top Notch run across the stone path, pulling the chariot behind them as they take off in the sky. Stopping next to Highwind, a pink mare looks up at Top Notch and the others as they disappear behind Canterlot Castle before facing Highwind.

"Hey, why were those guys in a hurry? They could've said hi," says the pink mare, frowning.

"I can already guess…" says Highwind, facing a dark mare.

"What?" asks the dark mare.

"N-nothing!" says Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"Ah, Melody, greetings," says Sun, smiling.

"Oh, Sun!" says Melody, jumping and wrapping her hooves around Sun's chest. "Did you miss me?"

"Aye," says Sun, nodding.

"Hehe!" says Melody, grinning.

"Lyrical, 'tis good to see thee," says Moon with a smile.

"Good evening, Moon. How was your trip to Ponyville?" asks Lyrical, tilting her head.

"I enjoyed it," says Moon, nodding.

"I see," says Lyrical with a small smile.

"So, why are you two here?" asks Highwind, blinking.

"What? We can't say hi to Sun and Moon?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"As rude as always, Highwind," says Lyrical, sighing.

"You're one to talk, Lyrical," says Highwind, huffing. "Threatening to dump a bucket of ice water over me whenever I sleep when you and the others forced Princess Celestia to-"

"Do you still want me to?" asks Lyrical, glaring.

"O-on second thought, forget what I said…" says Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"Come on, Highwind, we're only joking," says Melody with a small laugh.

"I wasn't," says Lyrical.

"Lyrical!" says Melody, stomping a hoof.

"Fine, it was only a joke," says Lyrical, clicking her tongue.

"Geez…" says Melody, sighing. "Anyway, Tia wanted to welcome you guys, but she's too busy dealing with some snot-nosed nobles," she says, huffing.

"Apparently, some ponies in Canterlot are having a rivalry and kept remodeling their home to see who has the better design. This has been going on for the past month…" says Lyrical, sighing.

"Now they're here asking Tia to decide for them," says Melody, rolling her eyes.

"Seriously?" asks Highwind, raising a brow.

"Yeah…" says Melody, rubbing a hoof down her face. "I can't believe the ridiculous things that Tia deals with nowadays!"

"Hmm…" says Lyrical, tapping her chin with a hoof. "If it was me, I would use my magic and blow-"

"Okay, okay, stop!" says Melody, putting a hoof over Lyrical's mouth. "Lyrical, be careful of what you say. We still have kids here," she says, pointing a hoof at Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon tilt their head.

"Oh, right," says Lyrical.

"Ah, I almost forgot. Moon, there's somepony that wanted to see you," says Melody, smiling.

"Whom art thou speaking of?" asks Moon.

"Lyrical, wake him up," says Melody, grinning.

"Okay," says Lyrical, poking a hoof against her mane.

Slowly, a small creature appears from Lyrical's mane, rubbing a paw against its eye.

"Ah, Tibbles," says Moon, blinking.

Tibbles' ears twitch before facing Moon, waving both of his paws.

"'Tis good to see thee as well," says Moon, smiling.

Tibbles then faces Sun, tilting his head before pointing a paw at him and looking at Moon.

"Aye, Tibbles, that is Sun," says Moon, nodding.

Tibbles then faces Sun, closing his eyes, and waves a paw.

"And greetings to thee, Tibbles," says Sun, smiling.

"H-hold on a second… Sun, Moon, you understand what Tibbles is saying?" asks Melody with an open mouth.

"Aye," says Sun, nodding.

"Is it perhaps strange?" asks Moon, frowning.

"Strange? It's amazing!" says Melody, throwing both hooves in the air.

"Melody's right, Your Highnesses! Talking to animals is something of a gift!" says Highwind, smiling.

"Even I'm impressed," says Lyrical with a small smile.

"You see, Your Highnesses, we can only understand Tibbles through yes or no questions, and he either nods or shakes his head," says Highwind, sighing.

"Yeah, and the only ponies I know that can talk to animals is Lulu and one of Twilight's friends. But I forgot her name…" says Melody, tapping her chin with a hoof.

"Her name's Fluttershy, I believe," says Lyrical.

"Yeah, her!" says Melody, nodding. "I wonder why Tia and Lulu didn't mention anything about Sun and Moon being able to talk to animals though?"

"Maybe it's because we didn't ask them about it?" says Lyrical.

"Geh! I guess you're right…" says Melody, hanging her head.

Tibbles then faces Moon, rubbing his eye with a paw and points another paw at Canterlot Castle.

"Ah, forgive me, Tibbles…" says Moon, frowning.

"What did Tibbles say?" asks Highwind, blinking.

"Tibbles mentioned staying up and waiting at the castle all day for Moon," says Sun.

"Ugh! It took Lyrical and I forever to figure out that Tibbles wanted to come along and see Moon…" says Melody, sighing.

"He's supposed to be resting at this time as well…" says Lyrical, frowning.

"Tibbles, was there something you needed from Prince Moon that you stayed up this long?" asks Highwind, rubbing his head with a hoof.

Tibbles shakes his head.

"Did you just want to see Prince Moon?" asks Highwind, blinking.

Tibbles nods his head before looking at Moon, closing his eyes and waving a paw.

"Aye, I consider thee important as well, Tibbles," says Moon, smiling.

"Geez, I never thought there would be somepony Tibbles likes as much as Lulu," says Melody with a small smile.

"Well, Moon is similar to Luna," says Lyrical, smiling.

"I guess," says Melody, shrugging.

Tibbles lifts a paw to his mouth, yawning into it.

"I think it's time I bring Tibbles back, and I have to wake up Luna since she tends to sleep past the scheduled time to raise the Moon…" says Lyrical, sighing.

"To think she's the Princess of the Night…" says Melody, rolling her eyes.

"Then, Moon, Sun, I wish you both a good evening," says Lyrical, bowing her head.

Tibbles waves a paw.

"Farewell, Tibbles," says Moon, smiling.

"And to thee as well, Lyrical," says Sun with a small smile.

Tibbles then dives into Lyrical's mane as she turns and walks to the castle.

"So, Moon, Sun, you guys hungry?" asks Melody, tilting her head.

"Nay," says Moon, shaking his head.

"I wish to eat more banana bread, but perhaps another time," says Sun.

"That's weird. I thought you both would be hungry when you came back…" says Melody, tapping her chin with a hoof.

"Well, they did eat a lot at Ponyville…" says Highwind, rubbing his head with a hoof.

"Oh, then since you both aren't hungry, want to take a bath?" asks Melody, facing Sun and Moon.

"Aye," says Sun with beaming eyes.

Haha, it's funny how Tia's the same when it comes to a bath, thinks Melody, giggling with a hoof over her mouth. "Sun, you really like baths, huh?"

"Aye," says Sun with a small smile.

"So, what about you, Highwind?" asks Melody, blinking.

"Yeah, I guess. It'd be nice after all the things I dealt with today…" says Highwind, sighing.

"I see. I guess those rumors around the castle that you're going after the princes were right," says Melody, smirking.

"H-hey! I already said that I don't swing that way!" says Highwind, stomping a hoof with bright red cheeks.

"I'm joking! I'm joking! Geez, you take things so serious sometimes," says Melody, raising a brow.

"Hmph!" says Highwind, sitting and folding his hooves.

Ah, he's sulking now, thinks Melody, chuckling with a hoof over her mouth. She then faces Moon. "What about you, Moon?"

"Nay," says Moon, shaking his head.

Highwind's ears twitch before facing Moon. What? I thought Prince Moon enjoyed baths as much as Prince Sun…

"Moon, are you sure you don't want to join Sun and Highwind?" asks Melody, blinking.

"Aye, I wish to rest for the night…" says Moon with a small smile.

"Wait for a second, Prince Moon, I thought you liked baths?" asks Highwind, standing to his hooves.

"Forgive me, Highwind, but it seems I am not feeling well…" says Moon, wrinkling his brows.

"Hey, Highwind!" says Melody, stomping a hoof. "If Moon is not feeling well, you don't have to-"

"Melody, sorry, but please be quiet," says Highwind, lifting a hoof. He then faces Moon with an unwavering gaze. "Prince Moon, be honest with me. Are you still worried about that voice you heard?"

Moon's eyes widen before furrowing his brows. "Aye, as of now, I fear that something must have happened to Luna…"

"Then why were you trying to hide it?" asks Highwind, frowning.

"Forgive me…" says Moon, lowering his gaze. "I… I…"

"Moon," says Sun.

Turning their head, Moon, Highwind, and Melody notice Sun with a watery gaze. Sun then moves closer before standing in front of Moon with their muzzles barely touching. Slowly, Sun presses his head against Moon's as they gaze into each other's eyes.

"Why art thou not being honest with thyself?" asks Sun, his brows drawing together.

"Because… because I do not wish to trouble others after everything they have done for us…" says Moon, averting his gaze.

"Moon, I understand, but given our time here, I have come to know that there will be difficulties as we learn more about this world. Though I wish to not trouble others as much as thee, I feel that 'tis right to request the aid of others for answers that we do not know," says Sun with a small smile.

"Sun…" says Moon with wide eyes. Ah, that is right. Luna mentioned if I am lost, I should consult somepony about my concerns… he thinks, placing his lips on Sun's cheek. He then removes his lips, smiling at Sun with a soft glow in his eyes. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," says Sun, smiling.

"Geez, I'll never get used to it when they kiss somepony like that…" says Melody, fanning a hoof at her face with a shade of red in her cheeks.

"I'm just glad that Prince Moon is smiling again…" says Highwind, frowning.

"From what I see, you don't look too happy," says Melody, raising a brow.

"I can't help it! I'm still angry at myself for failing to understand Prince Moon! I mean, I can't believe I forgot that even though he may have a body of a grown pony, I didn't consider the fact that he's still a child at heart, not wanting to cause trouble for others! The same can be said for Prince Sun…" says Highwind, clenching a hoof.

"Well, yeah. I mean, if ponies are doing everything they can to help you, it makes sense you'd try not to trouble them. Even I understand where Sun and Moon are coming from since me and Lyrical were kind of in a similar spot…" says Melody, her brows gathering in.

"Melody…" says Highwind, frowning. "That's right. You and Lyrical were-"

Lifting a hoof, Melody smacks Highwind's back.

"OW! What was that for!" says Highwind, rubbing his back with a hoof.

"Let's leave it at that. Besides, I think somepony wants to talk to you," says Melody, pointing a hoof.

Following Melody's hoof, Highwind notices Moon towering over him, looking at him with a stern gaze.

"D-do you need something, Your Highness?" asks Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"Forgive me for not being honest with thee, Highwind…" says Moon, furrowing his brows.

"N-no! It's fine! If anything, it's me who should apologize!" says Highwind, shaking his head and waving both hooves.

"Nay…" says Moon, shaking his head. "'Tis I that should apologize for my mistake. I should have consulted thee about my concerns when I am troubled…"

Highwind lets out a sigh. "You know, Your Highness, just know that either Melody or I will do whatever we can to help you and Prince Sun," he says with a small smile.

"Highwind's right. Besides, we're some of the ponies Tia and Lulu asked to be there for you and Sun whenever you need help, remember?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"Ah, it seems I have forgotten…" says Moon, blinking.

"Don't worry too much about it, but just know that you can always rely on us," says Melody, grinning.

"Aye," says Moon, nodding with a smile.

"Good boy. Anyway, aren't you glad you have somepony like Sun that worries about you?" asks Melody, smiling.

"That is why I am fortunate to have Sun by my side…" says Moon, his eyes turning soft with an inner glow while facing Sun.

Noticing Moon's gaze, Sun looks at him with gentle eyes and a small smile.

"Ugh! I'm so jealous! I wish Lyrical could appreciate me more like that!" says Melody, biting a hoof.

"You know Lyrical wouldn't do that, right?" asks Highwind, raising a brow.

"Don't remind me! Even though I'm her older sister, she never treats me with the respect I deserve!" says Melody, tears spurting out of her eyes.

"Well, you always act like a filly and tend to slack off from your job…" says Highwind, muttering to himself.

"What did you say?" asks Melody, glaring at Highwind.

"Nothing! A-anyway, I'm still worried about what Prince Moon said!" says Highwind, his face dripping with sweat.

"Oh, speaking of that, what did you mean earlier about a voice?" asks Melody, blinking.

"I'm not sure, but Prince Moon said something about hearing Princess Luna…" says Highwind, frowning.

"Wait, what?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"Ugh! Prince Moon, are you sure the voice you heard was Princess Luna?" asks Highwind, quickly rubbing his head with a hoof.

"Aye…" says Moon, frowning and slowly nodding his head. "If I remember, Luna asked for help, but I do not understand why…"

"So, what you're both saying is that you think this voice Moon heard is Lulu asking for help, but you don't know why?" asks Melody, tapping her chin with a hoof.

"Pretty much," says Highwind, blinking.

Taking a deep breath, Melody lets out a sigh. "You know, if somepony else heard this, they'd think Moon's crazy. Heck, even I thought so, but knowing him and Sun, they're just way too honest, and Moon has no reason to lie…" she says, folding her hooves.

"And that's why I believe him…" says Highwind, placing a hoof over his face.

"So, what should we do now, Commander?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"For now, Prince Sun, Prince Moon, I'm sorry, but the bath will be for another time, and you both will go to your rooms instead," says Highwind.

"I see…" says Moon, frowning.

"'Tis unfortunate…" says Sun, hanging his head.

"Sorry, you two, it's for your own safety. After this is over, you can stay in the bath as much as you want. Well, not too long, okay?" asks Melody, smiling.

"Aye," says Sun with a smile.

"Forgive me, but could Sun perhaps spend the night in my room?" asks Moon.

"That's fine, but why?" asks Highwind, blinking.

"I… I just wish for Sun to stay by my side…" says Moon, his brows gathering in.

"Oh, I can see it now!" says Melody with steam coming from her nose as her cheeks turn red. "Two brothers in a forbidden relationship as Sun pushes Moon on the bed, and they-"

"Stop having weird thoughts about them!" says Highwind, hitting Melody on the head with a hoof.

"OW! Geez, you're no fun…" says Melody, pouting.

Highwind rolls his eyes. "Anyway, Prince Moon, that's a great idea, but is Prince Sun okay with it?"

"Sun, dost thou hast any complaints?" asks Moon, frowning.

"Nay, I also wish to stay by thy side, Moon," says Sun, smiling.

"Sun…" says Moon with a small smile.

"Well, if Prince Sun agrees, Melody, can you arrange Prince Moon's room for both of them to sleep in?"

"No problem!" says Melody, puffing out her chest.

"Then I'll ask some guards to watch the room, and it's easier for them to keep an eye on the princes since they're together," says Highwind.

"Um, Highwind, shouldn't we tell Tia about this? I mean, this is pretty serious…" says Melody, wrinkling her brows.

"No. If we do, she probably might go see Princess Luna herself," says Highwind, sighing.

"But Tia's powerful, you know?" says Melody, raising a brow.

"And so is Princess Luna…" says Highwind, frowning.

"Oh…" says Melody, slumping her shoulders.

"Look, I'm just worried about what Prince Moon said about Princess Luna asking for help. If that's true, then whatever we're dealing with, it's powerful enough to deal with alicorns, and I don't want to put Princess Celestia in danger…" says Highwind, clenching a hoof.

"D-do you think it's Queen Chrysalis?" asks Melody, her body shivering.

"It could be…" says Highwind, glaring.

"But didn't Tia put some sort of barrier around the city and the castle to prevent changelings from entering?" asks Melody, twirling a hoof.

"She did, but you can never be too sure. Besides, there's something else that bothers me more, and that's to see if Princess Luna is an imposter or not. If she really is a fake, then we can't just bring a group of guards, or she might get too cautious…" says Highwind, furrowing his brows.

"I-I guess you're right…" says Melody, rubbing a hoof to her head.

"Wait, what about Lyrical?" asks Highwind, blinking.

"She's probably with that fake Lulu, so I guess we'll have to do this without her…" says Melody, frowning.

"Guess this will be harder than I thought…" says Highwind, rubbing a hoof down his face.

"Wait…" says Melody, tapping her chin with a hoof. She then grins. "I think I have an idea!"

________________________________________

Atop the spiraling towers of Canterlot Castle, a rift appears atop a balcony. Through the rift, a blue hoof appears and touches the floor as the owner of the hoof comes through, revealing a blue mare.

"It's been a while since I set hoof on solid ground," says the blue mare, looking down and tapping a hoof on the stone floor.

Lifting her head, the blue mare glances from side to side before setting her eyes on the sunset in the horizon.

"And the Sun is still the same after all this time…" says the blue mare, glaring. She then lets out a sigh. As much as I want to drown Equestria in the night, there are things that I must do first…

"Luna?" says a voice.

"Huh?" says Luna, turning her head, noticing a dark mare. Wait, she must be my, well, her personal maid. Her name is… Lyrical, if I recall. Maybe she knows where Moon is? Question is though, how did Luna behave around her again? Ah, now I remember… she thinks, blinking. "Oh, Lyrical, did you need something?"

"Did you forget already? I always come around this time to wake you up. Honestly, Luna, you're not a filly anymore, so you should learn to get up yourself," says Lyrical, glaring.

"S-sorry…" says Luna with a sheepish grin. How dare she speak to me like that! If I didn't need you, I would've just blown you away!

"Anyway, I just put Tibbles on your bed, so he's sleeping right now. I can't believe he stayed up so long just to see Moon…" says Lyrical, sighing.

Tibbles? Oh, that disgusting creature I supposedly keep as a pet, thinks Luna, tapping her chin with a hoof. "Thanks for looking after him."

"It's fine. By the way, why are you up early, Luna? You're usually snoring away in your bed right now…" says Lyrical with a glare.

"Oh, uh, I-I guess I couldn't sleep well…" says Luna, rubbing her arm with a hoof.

"Hmm…" says Lyrical, squinting her eyes and looking into Luna's own.

D-did she notice something! thinks Luna, her face dripping with sweat.

"You seem fine, I guess. Did you wake up early because you were hungry or something?" asks Lyrical, tilting her head.

"Uh, yes! I am kind of hungry…" says Luna with a sheepish grin.

"Well, you do have a long night. I don't want you to do your duties on an empty stomach," says Lyrical.

"If you say so…" says Luna, sighing. I have to be more careful around this mare…

"But, Luna, since we're out here on the balcony, you should start raising the Moon. Look, Celestia's already bringing the Sun down," says Lyrical, pointing a hoof.

"Oh, right!" says Luna, blinking. She then turns around and grinds her teeth. Ugh! I can't believe this stupid mare is telling me what to do! If only I knew how to use a mind control spell or something!

Closing her eyes, Luna's horn glows bright blue as a white glow emerges from the mountains in the distance. Soon, the Moon reveals itself, rising up as stars sparkle throughout the night sky.

"As I thought, the night is beautiful, no matter how many times I see it…" says Luna, her eyes reflecting the multiple lights, flickering in the night sky.

"And it always will be," says Lyrical.

"It's a shame that ponies sleep throughout the night…" says Luna, frowning.

"True, but there are many ponies that enjoy it," says Lyrical with a small smile.

"Really?" asks Luna, blinking.

"Well, I do like to read at night, especially since it's the only time where it's quiet throughout the castle. But I'm just one of the many ponies that can truly enjoy themselves at night than during the day…" says Lyrical, her brows gathering in.

"And what would that be?" asks Luna, raising a brow.

"For somepony that watches over the dream world, I thought you came across some of those examples already," says Lyrical, sighing.

"I only check the dreams of ponies that have nightmares, you know? Sorry for being clueless…" says Luna, huffing.

Lyrical rolls her eyes. "Look, from morning to evening, I have to deal with maids throughout the castle that slacks off, especially when it comes to my older sister that's setting a stupid example. It's only when the day's over that I can finally get some peace to myself…"

"Pfft! I-I guess that's a very good reason!" says Luna, laughing with a hoof over her mouth.

"That's rare for somepony like me to make you laugh," says Lyrical, tilting her head.

"You underestimate yourself," says Luna, smiling.

"You know, we've never talked like this before…" says Lyrical, frowning.

"We didn't?" asks Luna, blinking.

"Of course. You and I are always busy, but I'm glad we did…" says Lyrical with a small smile.

"Lyrical…" says Luna, furrowing her brows. To think I thought of her as an annoyance at first, but I'm starting to think differently of her now. If only we didn't meet under different circumstances, I would've liked to talk to her more…

"Well, let's not waste more time. You're hungry, right?" asks Lyrical, smiling.

"R-right…" says Luna with a sheepish grin. "Oh, Lyrical, I forgot to ask, but where is Moon?"

"He should be with my sister, I think. Is there something you need from him?" asks Lyrical, tilting her head.

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to have a little talk with him," says Luna, chuckling.

"I guess we can find him on the way to the dining room. I'll go with you," says Lyrical, turning around and walking through a doorway.

"Thank you, Lyrical," says Luna, smiling. She then frowns and bites her bottom lip. And I'm sorry for deceiving you…

________________________________________

Through the halls of Canterlot Castle, Highwind is seen standing on his hind legs with his back against a wall. He then peeks his head in an intersection of the hallway, glancing from left to right.

"What are you doing?" asks a voice.

"AHH!" says Highwind, leaping into the air before landing face first. He then groans and lifts his head, noticing a pink mare laughing with a hoof over her mouth. "Melody!" he says, glaring.

"It's not my fault you get scared easily," says Melody, grinning.

"Ugh! Don't do that!" says Highwind, jumping to his hooves. "I thought you… were…" he says with an open mouth, noticing a white alicorn next to Melody.

"What's wrong, Highwind?" asks the white alicorn, blinking.

"U-um, excuse me for a second, Princess Celestia!" says Highwind with a sheepish grin. He then grabs Melody by the nape of her neck with a hoof and drags her away.

"OW! Highwind, you jerk! That really hurts! Why'd you do that for!" says Melody, glaring and rubbing the nape of her neck with a hoof.

"What the hay, Melody! Why'd you bring Princess Celestia! Even after I told you that we shouldn't involve her!" says Highwind, stomping a hoof.

"Don't worry! It's all part of my plan!" says Melody, puffing out her chest.

"And why did that plan have to involve her out of all ponies!" says Highwind, sitting and placing both hooves over his face before dragging them down.

"Like it or not, we'll still need Tia's help to deal with whoever the fake Lulu is…" says Melody, frowning.

"Geh! I-I can't deny that…" says Highwind, sighing.

"Oh, and I managed to prepare Moon's room for him and Sun, so they're together right now. How did it go on your end with the guards for them?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"O-oh, uh, I…" says Highwind, his face dripping with sweat.

"What happened now?" asks Melody, glaring.

"You see, I thought of actually bringing some guards with us before going up against the imposter, but… when I went to the barracks, there was only Pleasant, Summer, and Top Notch. So, I asked them to guard Prince Moon's room…" says Highwind, rubbing an arm with a hoof.

"Wait, only those three? What happened to the others?" asks Melody, blinking.

"Well, they're actually out somewhere in Canterlot drinking or something…" says Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"WHAT!" says Melody, her eyes shrinking. She then stomps a hoof. "Why would they do that!"

"I-it's kind of a long story…" says Highwind, sighing. It's because I told Pleasant, Summer, and Top Notch to let the other guards know that they're free to do whatever they want for the day…

"Forget it. I don't want to hear it," says Melody, huffing. "You know, I sometimes think that the Royal Guard is useless for never being there when we need them the most."

"I-I've got nothing to say to that…" says Highwind, hanging his head. He then quickly lifts his head. "Wait, how about we ask some of the maids?"

"Are you an idiot!" says Melody, glaring. "Did you forget that at this time, all the maids go home! And even if they were here, they don't know any powerful spells to protect themselves like me and Lyrical-"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but what are you two talking about?" asks Celestia, blinking.

"N-nothing!" says Highwind and Melody with a sheepish grin.

Celestia lets out a sigh before facing Melody with a frown. "Melody, you do realize that I have to be up early again tomorrow, right? Then why did you ask me to come here at this time?"

"I know, I know! I'm so sorry, Tia, but it's something very important!" says Melody, repeatedly bowing her head.

"And that is?" asks Celestia, raising a brow.

"I can't tell you now, but could you please be patient!" says Melody, putting her hooves together and facing Celestia with large watery eyes.

"Fine. I don't know what you're up to, but you better explain after this is over…" says Celestia, glaring.

"Thanks, Tia," says Melody, smiling.

Highwind leans over to Melody. "You didn't tell her what's going on?"

"If I did, do you think she'd believe what Moon said?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"No…" says Highwind, frowning.

"Then be quiet and play along!" says Melody, glaring. She then faces Celestia. "Um, Tia, do you mind doing me a big favor?"

"What is it now?" asks Celestia, furrowing her brows.

"Are you able to turn invisible?" asks Melody with a sheepish grin.

"And why are you asking me this?" asks Celestia, glaring.

"Could you please do that and stay that way for now?" asks Melody, putting her hooves together.

"Melody, I'm starting to grow impatient as to why you're hiding something from me. But I will listen to you just this once because I've known you for a long time…" says Celestia, scowling.

"Tia, I'm so sorry for asking you this, but I really need your help right now…" says Melody, furrowing her brows.

"And I should apologize to you as well, Your Highness, but please listen to Melody…" says Highwind, bowing his head.

"I don't know what's going on, but I can see that you're both determined to carry this out. It would pain me to stand by and do nothing when ponies like you two desperately need my help…" says Celestia, wrinkling her brows.

"Thank you, Your Highness," says Highwind, smiling.

"U-um, Tia, one more thing. While you're invisible, from here on out, please don't say anything and just follow us, okay?" asks Melody, drawing her brows together.

Nodding, Celestia's horn glows yellow as a similar light shrouds her body, causing herself to turn transparent before fading away.

"By the way, Melody, you said that Lyrical should be coming pass here. How do you know that?" asks Highwind, raising a brow.

"With my overflowing love for my little sister, of course! I can sense her anywhere!" says Melody, puffing out her chest.

"Melody, th-that's really… creepy…" says Highwind, his face turning blue.

"H-hey, don't look at me like that, Highwind!" says Melody, stomping a hoof.

"I'm sorry, Melody, but I have to agree with Highwind on this…" says Celestia.

"Even Tia too! Ugh, even though you're invisible, just imagining how you're looking at me is starting to make me cry…" says Melody, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Wait, I think I hear somepony coming this way!" says Highwind, his ears twitching. He then peeks his head in the hallway intersection, noticing a dark mare. "It's Lyrical…"

"Really?" asks Melody, blinking. "Great! We can ask her about-"

"Hold on!" says Highwind, squinting his eyes. His eyes then widen. "Great, Princess Luna's with her too! Melody, are you sure that plan you mentioned is going to work?"

"Don't worry. Just follow my lead," says Melody, smiling. She then walks ahead, turning at the intersection of the hallway. "Oh, Lyrical, there you are!"

"Melody? What are you doing here?" asks Lyrical.

"Oh, just wanted to see how things are doing on your side," says Melody, grinning.

"Then why is that useless idiot here?" asks Lyrical, glaring at Highwind.

"Nice to see you too, Lyrical," says Highwind, rolling his eyes.

"Highwind was helping me with setting up Moon's room. Apparently, Moon wanted Sun to stay with him for the night, right, Highwind?" asks Melody, elbowing Highwind's side.

"R-right!" says Highwind with a sheepish grin.

"And why did Moon suggest that?" asks Lyrical, tilting her head.

"Well, I guess Moon was lonely or something…" says Melody, tapping her chin with a hoof. "Or maybe he wanted a passionate night with Sun, doing things like-"

"Enough," says Lyrical, putting a hoof over Melody's mouth. "I don't want to hear what's going on in that head of yours."

"Oh, and good evening, Princess Luna," says Highwind, smiling.

"And to you as well, Highwind," says Luna with a small smile.

"Oh, Lulu, what about me?" asks Melody, pointing a hoof at herself.

"Yes, I didn't forget about you, Melody. Good evening," says Luna, chuckling.

"So, Lulu, why are you with Lyrical? Aren't you supposed to be watching over the dream world or something?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"Well, I wanted to eat something before doing my duties. Oh, I also wanted to talk with Moon, but I'm not sure where he is, so I'm here with Lyrical to find him," says Luna, frowning.

"But now we don't need to find him since we know where he is now. You're actually useful for once, Melody," says Lyrical, rubbing and twisting a hoof against Melody's nose.

"Ow, ow, ow! That hurts, Lyrical!" says Melody, pushing Lyrical's hoof away with her own and placing another hoof on her nose.

"Anyway, let's not waste any time, Luna. You have a long night," says Lyrical.

"I know, I know…" says Luna, sighing.

"Wait, before you go, there's something I need to ask you, Lulu," says Melody, smiling.

"What is it?" asks Luna, blinking.

Melody's smile slowly fades away as her eyes turn into a dagger gaze. "Where is the real Lulu?"

"Excuse me?" asks Luna with an open mouth.

"Melody, if this is another one of your jokes, I really will get angry…" says Lyrical, glaring.

"Believe me, this isn't a joke. You caught on too, right, Highwind?" asks Melody, her horn glowing bright blue.

"Yeah…" says Highwind with a glare. He then spreads his hooves apart and unfolds his wings.

"Do you both realize what you're doing?" asks Luna, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh, I do, and I'll ask again. Where is the real Lulu?" asks Melody, scowling.

"Melody, Highwind, stop it! Are you both crazy!" says Lyrical, stomping a hoof.

"Lyrical, you might not have noticed, but that's not the real Lulu…" says Melody, frowning.

"And how do you know that!" says Lyrical.

"Come on, Lyrical, even you should have noticed it! It's so simple that everypony in the castle knows that Lulu hates it when you call her that…" says Melody, sighing.

"And from our talk earlier, this Princess Luna never once said anything when Melody called her by that name!" says Highwind, pointing a hoof at Luna.

Lyrical's eyes widen before facing Luna with a glare as her horn glows bright pink. "Who are you?"

Luna lets out a sigh. "I can't believe because of a stupid mistake; my disguise was ruined! But to think there are some ponies in the castle who aren't dumb after all!" she says with a wide grin. Her horn glows blue as a similar light shrouds her body, causing a flash of light that quickly disappears.

Highwind, Melody, and Lyrical's eyes widen from the shadowy figure standing before them. Their bodies begin to tremble as the shadow's familiar black coat and flowing purple mane reflect in their eyes.

"N-no way…" says Highwind, his legs giving out as he falls on his haunches. "Wh-what's going on!"

"Wh-why is she here? I thought she was g-gone for good…" says Melody, her face turning pale.

"Nightmare Moon…" says Lyrical, clenching a hoof on her shaking arm.

"Oh, what's wrong? For a second there, you three were prepared for anything, but now you're trembling before me," says Nightmare, chuckling.

"W-we're not scared of you!" says Highwind, standing to his hooves.

"Y-yeah! And why are you here!" says Melody, glaring.

"Where's Luna! Give her back!" says Lyrical, stomping a hoof.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. Besides, what can you three weaklings do to me?" asks Nightmare, laughing.

"They're not alone…" says a voice.

Nightmare's eyes widen, noticing Celestia as her transparent body fully comes into view.

"Well, well, this is a surprise. I never thought I'd see your annoying face so soon, Tia," says Nightmare, grinning.

"You of all ponies have no right to call me that!" says Celestia, glaring as her horn turns bright yellow. "I'll repeat what Melody asked you before, where is my sister?"

"What's wrong? Can't recognize your own sister standing before you? You do know that Luna and I are one and the same, right?" asks Nightmare, raising a brow.

"And I refuse to believe that! Now tell me where my sister is!" says Celestia, stomping a hoof.

"As always, you're so impatient and quick at ordering others," says Nightmare, rolling her eyes. "Well, if you must know, she's not hurt and sleeping somewhere like the good princess she is," she says with a wide grin.

Celestia bares her teeth as her horn releases a beam of light, flying straight at Nightmare. Standing her ground, Nightmare looks at the light with an unwavering gaze as it engulfs her and her surroundings. As the beam of light disappears, the walls and pillars of the hallway lay in rubble, revealing a large hole in the castle's wall, exposed to the open night air. However, Celestia's eyes widen, noticing Nightmare dusting off her shoulder with a hoof while standing in the middle of the rubble around her.

"N-no way! There's not a scratch on her!" says Highwind, his eyes shrinking.

"That was one of Celestia's most powerful spells…" says Lyrical, frowning.

"Wh-what should we do!" says Melody, throwing both hooves in the air.

"Calm down, you three," says Celestia, spreading her hooves apart. "There must be a way to-"

"Is that all, Tia?" asks Nightmare, raising a brow.

"What did you do!" says Celestia, glaring.

"It's simple. You're just too weak!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof and cracking the stone floor. "Now then, it's my turn!" she says, grinning. Her horn then glows blue, covering Celestia, Highwind, Melody, and Lyrical in the same light before slamming them on the floor.

"I-I can't move!" says Highwind, barely lifting a hoof before it falls back on the floor.

"M-me too!" says Melody, her face firmly planted on the floor.

"It feels like there's something heavy on me…" says Lyrical, clenching her teeth.

"H-hold on, everypony…" says Celestia, her horn glowing yellow, shrouding a similar light over herself. However, the light disperses into the air. "My magic's not working…" she says with an open mouth.

"That's because I'm suppressing your magic," says Nightmare, walking before coming to a stop in front of Celestia. "It's a good thing I placed a large barrier around us when you selfishly attacked me. Otherwise, it would be a problem if others heard that loud noise."

"Why… why are you doing this!" says Celestia, glaring.

"Why? Why! It's all to get back at you and all the ponies that shunned me and Luna all those years ago! Especially when you banished us to the Moon!" says Nightmare, her nostrils flaring.

"I-I had no choice! I couldn't reason with you!" says Celestia, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Reason with? You had all those times to talk with Luna, but do you know why she ended up as me in the end? It's because you ridiculed her by saying how it was ridiculous and selfish of her! She only wanted to change it were ponies could see that they could also enjoy the night like the day for one day, one simple day! I know how Luna felt then, and she would've understood if you kindly talked to her about it, but you ended up mocking her in front of all those ponies that time and those very same ponies started to look down on her! Do you know how that feels like!" says Nightmare, her eyes overflowing with tears that trails down her cheeks.

"And I'm sorry for putting you both through that! I've always regretted hurting you and Luna ever since then, and I wish I listened and tried to understand, but I can only make amends and ask for your forgiveness!" says Celestia, tears trickling down her face.

"I'll never forgive you!" says Nightmare, baring her teeth. She then lifts a hoof, placing it over Celestia's head. "Melody, tell me where Moon is and I'll spare this failure of a princess! And don't you dare try to deceive me! Because, believe me, I know when somepony is lying…"

"What are you going to do if I tell you?" asks Melody, glaring.

"Isn't that obvious? I want Moon to become like me! And you also mentioned that Sun is with Moon, right? Well, I've been thinking what would happen if I got rid of the embodiment of the Sun," says Nightmare, grinning.

"Nightmare Moon, I-I beg of you! Please… please don't involve those two!" says Celestia with a shaky voice.

"You are in no position to make any demands!" says Nightmare, glaring down at Celestia. She then faces Melody. "Now, make your choice!"

"Don't tell her, Melody!" says Lyrical.

"We can still do something to stop this!" says Highwind.

"Melody, please don't…" says Celestia with a watery gaze.

Melody's body trembles, looking into Celestia's eyes before clenching her own shut as tears seep through the corner of her eyes. I'm sorry, Tia. I can't let you get hurt… she thinks, opening her eyes. "On my right, go down straight that hall and make a left. Keep going and you should come across some guards watching a door. That's where Moon and Sun is…"

"Melody!" says Highwind and Lyrical, their eyes widening.

Celestia frowns at Melody before averting her gaze and closing her eyes.

"Good girl," says Nightmare, chuckling.

"There! I told you! Now let Tia go!" says Melody, stomping a hoof.

"All right, I won't hurt her, is what an idiot would say!" says Nightmare with a wide grin. Her horn glows black, causing a pool of dark claws to emerge from under Celestia, Highwind, Lyrical, and Melody, grabbing hold of their bodies.

"Wh-what is this!" says Highwind, struggling from the dark claws' grip.

"It's pulling me down!" says Lyrical, shaking her body.

"I-it hurts!" says Melody, clenching her eyes shut.

Celestia's eyes widen before facing Nightmare with a glare. "Nightmare Moon, don't hurt them! This doesn't involve them!"

"Oh, Tia, Tia…" says Nightmare, shaking her head. "They were already involved from the start. Besides, it's best that I get rid of them, along with you. That way, nopony will stand in my way."

"What are you going to do with us?" asks Celestia, furrowing her brows.

"Don't worry. You're going to where Luna is. In a dark, cold place to sleep forever," says Nightmare, grinning.

"No! Stop!" says Highwind, his eyes shrinking. He lifts a shaking hoof, barely touching the floor, and grasps the empty air as the dark claws drag him into the abyss.

"Lyrical!" says Melody, tears flowing down her face while slowly reaching out a hoof to her sister.

"Melody, hold on!" says Lyrical, inching out a hoof to her sister.

"I'm sorry…" says Melody with a small smile as the dark claws drag her down into the dark pool below.

"NO! No, no, no, no…" says Lyrical, closing her eyes and clenching a hoof. Tears seep through the corner of her eyes as the dark claws drag her down into the abyss.

"Highwind! Melody! Lyrical!" says Celestia, tears welling up in her eyes. She then rolls her eyes up, glaring at Nightmare as her lips pull back, revealing her teeth. "I'll never forgive you…"

"The same goes for me, Tia. Goodbye…" says Nightmare, narrowing her eyes.

Celestia closes her eyes as the dark claws drag her down into the dark pool below.

"Now, nopony will stand in my way…" says Nightmare, slumping her shoulders and looking down at the floor with dull eyes. "This is all for you, Luna…"

________________________________________

Standing in front of a windowed door, Moon looks up with his eyes reflecting the stars that glitter across the night sky.

"Moon, is there something troubling thee?" asks a voice.

Turning his head, Moon's eyes meet another, seeing a white alicorn resting on a gold-frame bed.

"Nay, Sun," says Moon, shaking his head. "I was… thinking if Highwind and Melody resolved my concern on Luna."

"I see…" says Sun, frowning.

Moon wrinkles his brows, walking over to Sun before stopping in front of him. "Forgive me, Sun. I did not mean to worry thee…"

"Do not apologize, Moon. 'Tis I that should apologize for asking thee," says Sun, placing a hoof under Moon's chin and pulling his face close to his own. He then presses his own forehead against his. "And for being unable to help thee in thy time of need…"

"Sun, please do not say such a thing…" says Moon with a watery gaze. "Thou art-"

A woody rattle of knocks is heard as a door opens, revealing a stallion in gold armor.

"E-excuse me, Your Highnesses! Pleasant here, and I came to see if you're both… okay…" he says, his eyes widening as his cheeks turn bright red.

"I'm so sorry for disturbing you two!" says Pleasant, quickly shutting the door.

"Hey, Pleasant, don't just slam the door like that!" says a stallion in gold armor, glaring.

"Yeah! I thought my heart stopped for a second!" says another stallion in gold armor, stomping a hoof.

"S-sorry, Top Notch, Summer. I was just kind of surprised when I checked on the princes…" says Pleasant, rubbing an arm with a hoof.

"Did something happen?" asks Summer, frowning.

"Wait, why's your face red?" asks Top Notch, blinking.

"I-I don't want to talk about it, okay!" says Pleasant, stomping a hoof.

"Ugh, whatever," says Summer, rolling his eyes.

"You're so weird sometimes, Pleasant," says Top Notch, raising a brow.

From within Moon's room, Sun and Moon stare at the door before facing each other, blinking.

"It seems we have troubled Pleasant…" says Moon, hanging his head.

"Aye…" says Sun, furrowing his brows.

"Sun, should we perhaps apologize to Pleasant?" asks Moon, frowning.

"I do not know…" says Sun, shaking his head.

"'Tis truly difficult… to understand the norms of this world, is it not?" asks Moon with a watery gaze.

"But with thee by my side, Moon, the experiences we share are truly enjoyable," says Sun, smiling.

"Sun…" says Moon, his eyes widening. He then faces Sun with a weightless gaze. "Aye, it truly is."

Sun then yawns and rubs a hoof to his eye. "Forgive me, Moon. It seems I am feeling a bit weary…"

"Then thou shouldst rest for the night," says Moon with a small smile.

"Perhaps… I will…" says Sun, his eyes slowly closing and resting his head on a pillow below him.

Looking to the side of Sun, Moon places a hoof over a blanket, dragging it over Sun's body. Moon then lowers his head next to Sun's face, placing his lips on his cheek before lifting his head.

"Thank you, Sun," says Moon, rubbing a hoof over Sun's mane.

At the sound of rattling knocks, Moon's ears twitch before facing the door behind him.

"Moon, are you still awake?" asks a voice.

"Luna?" says Moon, blinking.

"Yes. May I come in?" asks Luna.

"Aye…" says Moon, frowning. Perhaps Highwind was speaking the truth. 'Twas needless to worry about Luna…

"Then excuse me," says Luna.

As Moon looks at the door, he notices the doorknob twisting as the door creaks across the floor, revealing Luna standing at the doorway as her blue coat glows under the moonlight.

"I'm sorry for coming at a short notice…" says Luna, frowning.

"There is no need to apologize," says Moon, shaking his head. "But what has become of the ponies Pleasant, Summer, and Top Notch?"

"Oh, them? I told them that they could go back since I'll watch over you and Sun instead," says Luna, smiling. Sleeping in the dream world, that is.

"Strange, is there a reason that thou wishest to watch over us?" asks Moon, tilting his head.

"Well, I just wanted to talk more with you, Moon. But did I come at the wrong time?" asks Luna, furrowing her brows.

"Nay," says Moon, smiling.

"Good," says Luna, chuckling. She then walks past Moon and stops in front of Sun, glaring at him. To think this idiot is the reason why we suffered! she thinks before facing Moon. "Did Sun just recently fall asleep?"

"Aye," says Moon, nodding.

"I'm guessing he was tired from today, huh?" asks Luna, her horn glowing blue, which a similar light shrouds Sun before fading away.

"Luna, was that magic?" asks Moon, tilting his head.

"Oh, it's just a simple spell to help Sun sleep better. I don't want to disturb him when we're talking," says Luna, smiling. I'll deal with Sun later…

"I see…" says Moon, blinking.

"As to what I was saying before, I wish to talk to you about some… matters, but I think we should speak somewhere else. Just to make sure we don't wake up Sun, right?" asks Luna, chuckling with a hoof over her mouth.

"Aye," says Moon with a small smile.

Turning her head, Luna notices a window door as her horn glows blue, wrapping a similar light around the door's doorknob, twisting itself. At the sound of a click, the door creaks across the floor as the blue light around Luna's horn fades away. As the door stops, Luna walks through the doorway and stops in front of a stone railing.

"Moon, come sit with me," says Luna, sitting and patting a hoof on the stone floor.

"Aye," says Moon, walking through the doorway and sitting next to Luna.

"So, tell me, how is your stay in Equestria so far?" asks Luna, smiling.

"I do not know. Through my experiences, there are many things I have yet to understand, and questions I do not have answers to…" says Moon, gazing up as his eyes reflect the white glow of the Moon itself.

"Is Sun the same?" asks Luna, blinking.

"Aye…" says Moon, frowning and nodding. "Sun understands as much as I that there will be many difficulties ahead…"

"Don't concern yourself for what you wish to know right now. In time, your questions and doubts will be answered. But know this, Moon, the world can be cruel to you at unexpected times…" says Luna, glaring. Even the ones close to you…

"Regardless, Sun and I wish to learn more about this world, yet we do not wish to impose on others through our helplessness…" says Moon, hanging his head.

"I see…" says Luna. Learn about this world? Not wanting to impose on others? As if I care about any of those useless things! she thinks, snarling.

"But I am grateful to the ponies Sun and I have met that are willing to aid us…" says Moon, smiling.

"Lies…" says Luna, clenching her teeth. "You say that ponies are willing to help others from the goodness of their hearts? Then why did we have to suffer from the very same ponies we tried to protect!" she says, stomping a hoof and cracking the stone floor.

"Luna?" says Moon, blinking.

"It's disgusting! You don't understand that ponies in this world are so quick to judge and blame others that they do not understand!" says Luna, her breathing growing heavy.

"Luna…" says Moon with an inward gaze. "What art thou-"

"Don't you get it, Moon! I'm saying that you shouldn't trust others so easily!" says Luna, glaring.

Moon's eyes widen, noticing one of Luna's eyes with a vertical pupil compared to the other.

"Thou… thou art not Luna…" says Moon with an open mouth.

Luna's eyes widen and quickly turns her head, facing the window door behind her as it casts her reflection, and notices an eye that is different from the other.

Great! I let my emotions take over and forgot to keep my disguise in check! thinks Luna, clicking her tongue. "You're right. I'm not Luna."

"Then whom might thou be?" asks Moon, frowning.

Luna's horn glows blue as a similar light shrouds her body, causing a flash of light. As the light fades away, Moon's eyes widen at the shadowy figure's black coat and flowing purple mane.

"Nightmare Moon," she says, her piercing eyes gazing at Moon's.

"I see…" says Moon, blinking. He then smiles. "Greetings, Nightmare Moon."

"Strange…" says Nightmare, raising a brow. "Ponies that hear my name tremble in fear and run with their tail between their legs upon seeing me. Even Tia and that infuriating Twilight Sparkle would bare their fangs at me, but you don't. Is there a reason why?"

"I… do not know. Is there a reason why I must harbor such intent to thee?" asks Moon, tilting his head.

"What?" asks Nightmare, blinking. "Pfft!" she says, placing a hoof over her chest as she laughs with her powerful voice, echoing through the air. "I-I can't believe I forgot that you're clueless about this world."

"Forgive me…" says Moon, frowning.

"Why are you apologizing?" asks Nightmare, chuckling with a hoof over mouth. "You've done nothing wrong."

"Nay…" says Moon, hanging his head. "'Tis times like this that I should be aware of, yet I do not know…"

"Moon, know that if you knew what I've done, even you would come to bare such ill intentions against me…" says Nightmare, glaring.

"But what of the words thou hast spoken earlier?" asks Moon, frowning.

"And you believe me after deceiving you as Luna?" asks Nightmare, raising a brow.

"Aye," says Moon, smiling with a soft gaze.

"Wh-what?" asks Nightmare, her cheeks flushing bright red. Her lips then pull back, revealing her teeth. "YOU IDIOT!" she says, her powerful voice echoing through the air.

The echo of Nightmare's voice sends a strong gust of wind, blowing past Moon, the latter, his eyes unfazed as his mane flutters violently in the wind.

"Did you forget what I said earlier! I told you not to trust others so easily!" says Nightmare, pressing and twisting a hoof against Moon's nose.

"But I believe thee," says Moon, smiling.

"And how do you know if I'm lying!" says Nightmare, glaring.

"I do not know," says Moon, blinking.

"I-I can't believe what I'm hearing…" says Nightmare, dragging a hoof down her face.

"'Tis strange, but I feel at ease around thee. Thy presence is similar to Luna, but I do not understand why. 'Tis this very reason that I cannot help but believe in thy words…" says Moon, frowning.

"How can you say that after just meeting me! Don't you at least doubt me or something!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof.

"I have no reason to doubt thee," says Moon, shaking his head.

"Then would you believe that Luna and I are one and the same?" asks Nightmare, glaring.

As Moon looks at Nightmare's eyes, he notices tears welling up in them. He then closes his eyes before opening them, facing Nightmare with a soft glow within his gaze. "Aye."

"W-would you believe that all the things I've done… were for L-Luna?" asks Nightmare, her lips trembling.

"Aye," says Moon, nodding.

"Would you believe that I-I only wish to stay… by Luna's side?" asks Nightmare, tears trickling down her face.

"Aye, and I understand it well to realize the feelings of having somepony by thy side. 'Tis truly enjoyable to know there is somepony we can share our experiences with, and something that cannot be replaced as I walk this world with Sun. That is why I believe thee, Nightmare Moon. Though I do not know thy circumstances, thy concern for Luna is enough for a clueless pony as I that wishes to help thee," says Moon, smiling.

That's right. I-I thought it couldn't happen, no matter how much I wished for it! But now, there's somepony that wants to help. It was all I asked for… thinks Nightmare. "Moon, don't move," she says, smiling.

"Do not move?" asks Moon, blinking. "What dost thou mean-"

Moon's eyes widen as Nightmare runs to him, wrapping her hooves around him, and resting her face against his chest. Looking down, Moon notices Nightmare's eyes closed as her tears soak his coat. Tears begin to well up before trailing down Moon's face as he smiles, and rubbing a hoof behind Nightmare's head.

Huh? thinks Nightmare, feeling droplets falling on her face before looking up. "Y-you idiot, why are you crying too?"

"Perhaps… perhaps I understand how it feels to not be with the pony thou hast in mind. As thou wishest to be with Luna, I wish to have Sun by my side as well…" says Moon with a small smile.

He really does understand me… thinks Nightmare, lifting a hoof and wiping the tears away from Moon's eyes. She then wipes her tears with a hoof before placing both hooves on Moon's chest and pushes herself away from him. "You do realize that Sun is just behind us, right?"

"Aye, but I understand that there will be times where we cannot be together, though I wish to always be with Sun…" says Moon, furrowing his brows.

"Sun is really important to you, huh?" asks Nightmare, sighing. To the point that it's almost scary…

"Aye," says Moon, smiling and nodding.

"Well, after seeing somepony like you making that face… I feel like I can trust you now. Thank you, Moon," she says, chuckling.

"Nay," says Moon, shaking his head. "'Tis I that should be thanking thee."

"For what?" asks Nightmare, raising a brow.

"Wh-why'd you kiss me!" says Nightmare, jumping away from Moon with a beet red face.

"To thank thee for the advice thou hast given before," says Moon, blinking.

"You kissed me for a stupid reason like that!" says Nightmare, bright red reaching from her chin to the tip of her ears.

"'Tis only right that I thank thee," says Moon, smiling.

"Yeah, for an idiot like you!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof. She then turns around, walking to the stone railing before sitting down, and lets out a huff. I can't believe he did that! I know he's an idiot and all, but… but I guess it's thanks to him that I know what I should do now… she thinks with a small smile and placing a hoof on her cheek.

"Did I perhaps do something wrong?" asks Moon, frowning.

"Don't talk to me! I'm trying to concentrate!" says Nightmare, glaring with bright red cheeks.

"Aye…" says Moon, hanging his head.

Letting out a sigh, Nightmare's horn emits a black aura, creating multiple shadow rifts within the night sky. Through a rift, a pink mare falls through and lands on a bush below.

"OW!" says the pink mare, rubbing her back with a hoof. She then blinks, glancing from left to right. "Wait, where am I?"

"WAHHH!" says a voice.

As the pink mare looks up, she notices a white pony falling and lands into a bush, face first. Rustling through the bush, the white pony pops out, gasping for breath.

"Oh, hey, Highwind," says the pink mare, blinking.

"Wh-what? Melody?" says Highwind, rubbing his head with a hoof. He then looks left and right before blinking. "Wait, where are we?"

"Who knows?" says Melody, shrugging.

"Great…" says Highwind, rubbing his head with a hoof. "And here I thought we- AHH!"

"Now what?" asks Melody, raising a brow.

"J-just now, something… something l-landed in a bush next to me!" says Highwind, his teeth chattering.

"Well, go see what it is," says Melody, pointing a hoof.

"Are you crazy!" says Highwind, glaring. "Why should I-"

"Boo," says a voice.

"AHHHHH!" says Highwind, quickly jumping into his bush with his flank sticking out.

Melody blinks, noticing a dark mare in a bush next to Highwind's. "Oh, Lyrical."

"Lyrical?" says Highwind, popping out from his bush, and looks to his side. "Hey! Don't scare me like that!"

"It's not my fault you get scared easily," says Lyrical, rolling her eyes.

"Wh-what!" says Highwind, glaring. "I don't get scared-"

"Are you three all right?" asks a voice.

Melody, Highwind, and Lyrical's eyes widen at a white alicorn, towering over them with a small smile.

"Tia!" says Melody, jumping and wrapping her hooves around Celestia's chest.

"I'm glad you're okay, Melody," says Celestia, rubbing a hoof on Melody's head.

Melody's eyes shrink before pushing herself away from Celestia.

"Melody, what's wrong?" asks Celestia, frowning.

"Tia, I-I'm sorry for earlier…" says Melody, hanging her head.

"No. I understand that you were just doing what's right. There's no need to apologize," says Celestia, smiling.

"Thank you…" says Melody, lifting her head with a small smile.

"I'm glad you're not hurt, Your Highness," says Highwind, smiling.

"And to you as well, Highwind," says Celestia, chuckling.

"Celestia, didn't you fall from somewhere?" asks Lyrical, tilting her head.

"Well, I did, but I managed to recover myself and safely fly down after I noticed you three," says Celestia.

"As expected of a princess," says Lyrical, clapping her hooves together.

"I know, right?" asks Melody, grinning.

Annoying… thinks Highwind, rolling his eyes.

"As much as I am glad that you three are fine, now's not the time to be talking amongst ourselves," says Celestia, turning and lifting her head with a glare. "Isn't that right, Nightmare Moon?"

"Well, how kind of you to notice me. Unlike those three idiots," says Nightmare, smirking.

"Nightmare Moon!" says Highwind, jumping out of his bush and unfolding his wings.

"And Moon's with her…" says Lyrical, glaring.

"Moon, get away from her!" says Melody, stomping a hoof.

"Melody, forgive me, but I see no reason to move," says Moon, blinking.

"Reason? There's a lot of things that are wrong with her!" says Melody, pointing a hoof at Nightmare. "She's danger-"

"Do you see, Moon? She's an example of a pony that's quick to judge others…" says Nightmare, furrowing her brows.

"I see…" says Moon, frowning.

"H-hey! Don't make him misunderstand things!" says Melody, stomping a hoof.

"And now she's trying to fool you with lies…" says Nightmare, letting out a sigh.

"WHAT!" says Melody, her nostrils flaring. "You're the one who's-"

"Melody, that's enough," says Celestia, holding up a hoof in front of Melody's face.

"S-sorry, Tia…" says Melody, hanging her head.

"Nightmare Moon, what did you do to him?" asks Celestia, glaring.

"Do to him?" says Nightmare, facing Moon. She then looks at Celestia and lifts a brow. "Nothing."

"You're lying!" says Celestia, stomping a hoof.

"Celestia, Nightmare Moon speaks the truth," says Moon, furrowing his brows.

"Moon…" says Celestia with wide eyes.

"See?" says Nightmare, sticking out her tongue.

"I know you did something to him!" says Celestia, baring her teeth.

"Ugh!" says Nightmare, rolling her eyes. "I don't care if you believe me or not, but I have more important things to deal with than an uptight princess like you!"

"Tia's not uptight! Wait…" says Melody, rubbing her chin with a hoof. "She kind of is… and a little selfish-"

"Melody!" says Celestia, glaring.

"S-sorry…" says Melody with a sheepish grin.

Lyrical lets out a sigh. "Ignoring my annoying sister, I'm glad that Moon is fine, but there's something I'm more concerned about…" she says, glaring at Nightmare. "Where is Luna?"

"I was getting to it…" says Nightmare, huffing. She then turns her head. "Moon, can I ask something of you?"

"What is thy request?" asks Moon, blinking.

"I'm… I'm not sure if I can face Luna by myself, and I know she's probably going to ignore everything I say. So, I'm wondering if you can convince her to listen to me…" says Nightmare, frowning.

Moon stares into Nightmare's eyes, noticing her watery gaze. He then closes his eyes before opening them, meeting Nightmare's gaze with a serene smile. "Aye."

Nightmare's eyes widen with a tint of red in her cheeks. It's hard to believe the Moon himself is able to make such a face… she thinks, chuckling with a hoof over her mouth. "Thank you, Moon," she says with a small smile.

Closing her eyes, Nightmare's horn emits a dark glow, causing a shadowy rift to appear on the balcony floor. Slowly, a blue mare emerges from the rift, showing her chest rising up and down with her eyes closed.

"Luna…" says Moon, blinking. He then faces Nightmare. "Forgive me, Nightmare Moon, but I still worry about the three ponies that were watching over Sun and I…"

"Oh, them. I brought them out along with Luna," says Nightmare, pointing a hoof.

Following Nightmare's hoof, Moon notices three familiar ponies in golden armor. Resting on each side next to Sun, Top Notch and Summer snoozes quietly with their eyes closed, while Pleasant is on Sun's back, nuzzling his face against Sun's neck with closed eyes and a small smile.

"I wonder how their faces would look like when they realize they slept with Sun," says Nightmare, grinning.

"I am just glad they are not hurt," says Moon, smiling.

"Hmph! You're too soft, Moon…" says Nightmare, folding her hooves.

Moon then faces Nightmare. "Once again, thank you, Nightmare Moon-"

Nightmare places a hoof over Moon's mouth. "Nightmare, just call me Nightmare, and don't thank me all the time…" she says, pouting with red cheeks. It's embarrassing, you idiot…

Moon blinks his eyes. "Then Nightmare it is," he says, smiling.

"Anyway, Moon, here I go…" says Nightmare, letting out a sigh.

"Aye," says Moon, nodding.

Turning around, Nightmare walks ahead before stopping and lowering her gaze on Luna resting on the floor before her. Lifting a hoof, Nightmare nudges Luna's cheek with it, earning some groans from her.

She was always a sleepyhead… thinks Nightmare, chuckling. "Luna, wake up."

Slowly, Luna blinks her eyes open. "T-Tia?" she asks, lifting her head and rubbing a hoof to her eye.

"No," says Nightmare, sighing.

"Ugh, is it Lyrical?" asks Luna, closing her eyes and shaking her head. She then opens her eyes, seeing Nightmare with a smile. "Oh, Nightmare Moon…" she says, yawning into a hoof. Her eyes quickly open wide, jumping away, and spreading her hooves with her horn glowing bright blue. "What do you want!"

"Took you long to notice," says Nightmare, raising a brow.

"Where am I!" says Luna, stomping a hoof. "And last time I saw you, you sent me… to that dark place…" she says, her horn's glow fading away.

"How was it?" asks Nightmare, frowning.

"The same as when I was trapped in the Moon…" says Luna, hanging her head. She then lifts her head, glaring at Nightmare with her horn glowing bright blue once more. "That's not the point! I know we're not inside the dream world anymore, but why are we here back at the castle!"

"I…" says Nightmare, her lips shaking. "I-I wanted to apologize…"

"Apologize?" says Luna with wide eyes. She then glares. "Why should I forgive you after what you've done!"

"I know what I've done, all right!" says Nightmare, stomping a hoof with tears flowing down her cheeks. "Please… please just listen to me for once!"

"Never! I'll never listen to you again!" says Luna, glaring with tears trailing down her face.

Nightmare's eyes widen before closing her eyes. "Fine…" she says, biting her bottom lip.

Walking ahead, Moon stands beside Nightmare, facing Luna.

"M-Moon, what are you doing here?" asks Luna, her eyes widening.

"Ah, Nightmare wished to speak on the…" says Moon, tilting his head. "Forgive me, Luna, but what are we standing on?"

"It's called a balcony…" says Luna, sighing.

Moon, you idiot… thinks Nightmare, placing a hoof over her face.

"Now then, Sun is resting behind us in my room, and Nightmare wished to speak on the balcony as to not disturb Sun," says Moon.

"And you listened to her! For all I know, she was probably up to something!" says Luna, stomping a hoof.

"Aye, 'tis true that Nightmare deceived me by becoming thee, Luna," says Moon, nodding.

Nightmare hangs her head, gripping her arm tightly with a hoof. Moon, don't tell me you're siding with her too? Then were you lying to me all this time? I knew it! I should've never placed my trust in somepony else!

"See what I mean!" says Luna, pointing a hoof at Nightmare. "That's why you should never-"

"But that is of the past. Now I have come to know that Nightmare is not the pony that thou hast in mind," says Moon, frowning.

"Moon…" says Nightmare with wide eyes. She then smiles as tears well up in her eyes. I'm such an idiot! Even after what he said to me, I'm so stupid for not believing him…

"Wh-what?" asks Luna with an open mouth. She then glares. "Moon, get away from her!"

"Nay," says Moon, shaking his head.

"Do you even realize what she's done! She's dangerous and somepony you shouldn't trust!" says Luna, stomping a hoof.

"But I wish to believe Nightmare. If there is nopony that is willing to understand, then I do not mind if I am the last," says Moon, smiling.

"Moon, enough!" says Nightmare.

Turning his head, Moon notices Nightmare's watery gaze and trembling lips.

Moon frowns. "But, Nightmare, thou-"

"I know already! But there's no point if Luna won't even listen to you! Honestly, just knowing that you tried was enough, and I couldn't ask for anything more than that…" says Nightmare, laughing as tears trickle down her face.

"Nightmare, know that I truly wish to help thee. 'Tis through our meeting that I have decided that thou art a special somepony," says Moon with a small smile.

"Huh?" says Nightmare, blinking.

"It can't be…" says Luna with an open mouth.

"Okay, I didn't see that coming…" says Melody, blinking.

"Did Moon really confess to her… of all ponies?" asks Celestia with a tint of red in her cheeks.

"I'm more impressed that Moon said something any guy would die from embarrassment," says Lyrical, nodding.

I-I can't believe Prince Moon said that! I know he's not wrong in a way, but that's not something you should just throw out to anypony! Ugh, maybe it's because of that filly named Dinky we met earlier that taught the princes… thinks Highwind, dragging a hoof down his face.

"M-Moon, what are you saying so suddenly, you idiot!" says Nightmare, her face burning red.

"You can't possibly think of this… this deceiving mare as a special somepony!" says Luna, pointing a hoof at Nightmare.

"And what do you mean by that!" says Nightmare, snarling at Luna.

"How about you stay out of this!" says Luna, baring her teeth at Nightmare.

"Nightmare, Luna, know that I also consider Sun a special somepony," says Moon, blinking.

Oh, now I get it. This idiot doesn't know what it really means… thinks Nightmare, sighing.

I can't believe I was worried for nothing… thinks Luna, placing a hoof over her red face.

"Did I perhaps say something wrong?" asks Moon, tilting his head.

"Forget about that! Who taught you the meaning of those words!" says Nightmare, glaring.

"Dinky," says Moon, smiling.

"Sounds like a mare…" says Nightmare, scoffing.

"Moon, I won't ask about this Dinky…" says Luna, clicking her tongue. "But you really have a lot to learn."

"I'll say. He's clueless at reading the mood…" says Nightmare, huffing.

"Don't get me started about that…" says Luna, rolling her eyes. "He needs to-"

Looking at Nightmare with an open mouth, Luna quickly averts her gaze.

I can't believe I agreed with her… thinks Luna, frowning.

We just… talked… thinks Nightmare, blinking. She then shakes her head. No! Don't give up! This might be my only chance to talk to her! she thinks, placing a hoof on Luna's shoulder. "Luna, please! I just want you to hear-"

"No!" says Luna, swiping away Nightmare's hoof with her own.

Nightmare looks at her swatted hoof before clenching it and faces Luna with her lips trembling. "I-I'm sorry, okay! But can you blame me! I only wanted to be there for you when nopony heard your cries! I only wanted to protect you, Luna! I honestly did! But now I realize I was just hurting you instead! So, please… please don't ignore me!"

Luna quickly wraps her hooves around Nightmare, tears seeping through her closed eyes. "And I'm sorry for putting you through that loneliness again! I'm such a fool for giving it thought of putting somepony through that again when you suffered the same fate as me! I should've considered your feelings, but you're right! I betrayed you, and I don't deserve the right to be called your friend!"

In their embrace, Luna and Nightmare's tears soak each other's coat, their sniffles deafening out by the cool night air. Lifting their head from the warm touch of the other's shoulder, Luna and Nightmare open their eyes, gazing into one another, and their lips turning into smiles.

"Luna, d-do you think… we can start all over?" asks Nightmare, sniffling.

"If you want to, then we can…" says Luna, wiping the tears from Nightmare's eyes with a hoof.

"H-honestly, I never thought the day would come where you and I make up…" says Nightmare with a small laugh.

"Same, but I guess we both have somepony to thank for that, right?" asks Luna, facing Moon with a smile.

"He may be a clueless idiot, but I guess you're right," says Nightmare, chuckling with a hoof over her mouth.

"Is there something wrong?" asks Moon, tilting his head.

Luna and Nightmare blink at each other before bursting out in laughter. However, looking from below, Celestia looks at Nightmare with a frown.

"Tia, what are you going to do now?" asks Melody, rubbing her arm with a hoof.

"What do you mean?" asks Celestia, blinking.

"You know, about Nightmare Moon. I don't know what to think about her anymore…" says Melody, furrowing her brows.

"Melody, don't tell me you're letting it go after what she's done to us! Not to mention she was after Prince Moon and Prince Sun! Even if you think that way, in the end, she's still Nightmare Moon!" says Highwind, stomping a hoof.

"Melody, I have to agree with Highwind. I can't just ignore everything Nightmare Moon has done, especially when she put the lives of the ponies close to me in danger…" says Celestia, glaring.

"Even so, can you both say the same thing after looking at that?" asks Lyrical, pointing a hoof.

Following Lyrical's hoof, Celestia and Highwind lift their head, noticing Nightmare laughing with her eyes closed as Luna rubs and twists a hoof against Moon's nose with a dagger gaze.

"No…" says Highwind, clicking his tongue.

Celestia hangs her head and frowns.

"Celestia, I know Nightmare Moon is dangerous, but that doesn't change the fact that she's still a princess. Besides, I think you already know Luna wouldn't agree with you after finally accepting her…" says Lyrical, her brows gathering in.

"That's what I'm afraid of. Though I don't know how Nightmare Moon was able to become a pony of her own, it doesn't change the fact that Luna now accepts her. And no matter how much I ignore it, I also have to realize the truth that Nightmare Moon is still my sister…" says Celestia, clenching a hoof.

"Tia, I know it's hard not to put your feelings first before your duty as a princess, but I believe all ponies deserve a second chance…" says Melody, smiling.

Closing her eyes, Celestia lets out a long sigh. She then opens her eyes. "I never thought it would come to this, but I'll have to call the other princesses, including Twilight's friends. It's not my right alone to judge somepony, even if it's Nightmare Moon."

"You know, it's been a while since I've seen Twilight and Cadance. Wait, now that I think about it, Tia, does Cadance know about Sun and Moon?" asks Melody, blinking.

"No. I was too busy that I forgot to tell her about them…" says Celestia, dragging a hoof down her face.

"Well, I can't blame you. Besides, I can't wait to see the look on her face when she meets them," says Melody, snickering.

Lifting a hoof, Lyrical hits Melody on the head.

"OW! What was that for!" says Melody, pouting and rubbing a hoof on her head.

"Don't take it as a chance to slack off. Besides, we still have to clean up the whole mess that Celestia made," says Lyrical, facing Celestia, the latter, grinning.

"I guess I'll go find the other guards…" says Highwind, sighing.

"And once you're done with that, you and the other guards can help repair that big hole in the wall that Celestia made," says Lyrical.

"WHAT!" says Highwind, stomping a hoof. "But I-"

"I noticed that there were no guards around the castle when I was on my way to Luna's room. I bet you did something dumb, especially when we needed them the most when Nightmare Moon showed up," says Lyrical, glaring.

"Geh!" says Highwind, his face dripping with sweat. He then hangs his head. "Fine…"

"Thank you, you three," says Celestia, smiling. She then looks up, gazing at Nightmare. I just hope things will go as planned…




To be continued…