• Published 10th Jan 2014
  • 1,084 Views, 161 Comments

Treasured Moon & Stars: Vol. 2 Treasures From Mirrors - TigerSwirl448



Vol. 2 of TMS. The adventure takes a darker turn as Octavia tries to find the cure to Vinyl's illness, finding the Elements of Harmony, and try to keep the Elements, she already found, together.

  • ...
6
 161
 1,084

Chapter 10: I'll Make A Soldier Out of You

Chapter 10
I'll Make A Soldier Out of You

Rainbow Dash slowly sat up after another restful night in her room. She groaned rubbing her head then gasped to notice that the ropes that had kept her strapped to the floor were gone. She was free?

"What the-?" She uttered in confusion.

"How are you feeling?" Rainbow gasped turning to see Zecora walking into the room with a bowl of soup in one hand and her staff in the other.

"Uh... I feel surprisingly well rested." Rainbow said with a little surprised. "I haven’t slept this well in years."

Zecora smiled. "Good. Fluttershy has made you food."

"Really?" Another surprise. "I thought Fluttershy..."

Zecora nodded. "She is deep in thought. It will take more of that before she's bought."

"Bought? Into what?" Rainbow asked with confusion.

Zecora set down the bowl by Rainbow's knee. "Fluttershy has been through hell." Rainbow blinked feeling horrible. Zecora turned to Rainbow to see her shameful face. "But now she is having second thoughts like a chime from a bell." Rainbow looked up at her again with worry. Zecora smiled again as she turned to leave.

"Where is she?" Rainbow asked slowly standing up with a wince holding her hip. Zecora thought for a second then nodded.

"She is busy healing the unicorn captain." Rainbow nodded as Zecora left her room with a smirk on her face. Rainbow gulped thinking about what to do until her stomach growled. She looked down at the bowl thinking on what Zecora had told her. Fluttershy made this for her? Rainbow smiled sadly at the act of affection.

"Maybe there's hope for me after all." She whispered softly.

After eating the soup, which was fine compared to what it was made with, Rainbow got up and stepped out of the room to see a small hall with seven other doorways. Rainbow walked down the hall peeking into the empty rooms until she found the one she was looking for. She could see Fluttershy’s back towards her working on some herbs in a stone bowl. As Rainbow stepped into the room she stiffened seeing Octavia napping in a pallet. Next to her was the ailing unicorn captain. Rainbow blinked with shock, sure she had seen Vinyl before but not as often since she saved the princess.

Was she that skinny and sickly looking before? Rainbow thought baffled. She turned to the left to see Fluttershy’s back again as she was smashing something inside her stone bowl, she looked exhausted. Rainbow walked in clearing her throat to announce her presence. Fluttershy turned and looked surprised to see Rainbow standing there.

"R-Rainbow? How did you..."

Rainbow gulped rubbing the back of her head feeling nervous. "I uh ... the zebra, Zecora, she uh ... I looked around."

Fluttershy could feel heat on her cheeks. Rainbow felt the same way pulling her collar out.

"Shy ..." Rainbow whispered with worry. "C-can I talk to you sometime?"

Fluttershy blinked looking up into Rainbow's worried eyes, one glazed, the other glistening. Fluttershy turned away thinking. She tapped her finger on the stone bowl thinking. Finally she sighed.

"I'll think about it." She said softly turning to see Rainbow's face of surprise with a mixture of worry.

"Uh yeah, sure take your time." Rainbow said smiling. Then she turned to hear Octavia groan from her sleep. Octavia opened her eyes and smiled sadly stroking Vinyl’s wet cheek.

"Ahem," A cold voice spoke. Octavia blinked then looked up to see Rainbow staring at her.

"Captain ..." Octavia sat up on her knees a little surprised to see the old guard standing there. "You're ... um,"

Rainbow grunted returning to the cold guard she used to be, crossing her arms across her chest. "Thought you lost me?"

Octavia blushed and her ears went flat on her head. Rainbow thought for a moment then an idea came to mind. She membered the way Octavia tried to use a blade against the black shadow monster back on the crystal moon. Sure Octavia had fencing lessons as a young filly, but Blueblood made it stop. No doubt that was what Octavia had in mind when taking on a beast with a sword. But she sure did a horrible job at it. So it was time to rekindle those lessons not only to help safe guard the Princess’s fate but also it was a dream Rainbow always had. To teach the princess everything she knew just as Rainbow taught Octavia’s father.

"Get up," Rainbow ordered.

"What?" Octavia asked confused.

"I said get up, get moving, you're not laying around all day like I was." This was half true since Rainbow was tied up most of that time.

Octavia glared at her. "No, I want to stay here with Vinyl."

Rainbow bristled as Octavia crossed her arms across her chest her nose in the air. Rainbow gritted her teeth feeling her blood pressure go up. Rainbow expected most royal ponies to do this act but not Octavia, never her.

"And that is my final word on this matter, Captain." Octavia said primly with a glare.

Rainbow felt a wire snap in her mind as she grabbed Octavia's arms and pushed her against the wall glaring at her. Octavia gasped now shaking with fear trying to get out of Rainbow's hold. Fluttershy gasped standing up and immediately pulling out her dagger from her robes.

"Don’t!" Rainbow snarled causing both Fluttershy and Octavia to stiffen to still statues. Octavia gulped now shaking hard as Rainbow's hands tighten around her arms.

"You listen to me!" Rainbow whispered harshly glaring into the princess’s eyes. "You do not, I repeat, you will not act like the dumb ass royal like your uncle!"

Octavia couldn't stop staring into those two toned eyes, scared half to death. There were often ideas of what Rainbow might do to her but she never thought she would see it now.

"L-let me go now!" Octavia ordered shakily.

"Not until you understand you were taught better than this!" Rainbow yelled out shaking Octavia twice before pushing her against the wall again. "You are a better royal than all of the dumbass murderers that believe ponies like you should be hanged and gutted!"

Octavia gulped as Rainbow sighed. "I've seen too many honest ponies like your father and mother murdered for something as stupid as the type of breed they were. And so help me if you think being like the ones that murder your kind will get you anywhere with me, well fat chance filly ‘cause now that I'm around and your daddy isn't, you are my responsibility. You are still under the age of eighteen and as such you're still a child in an adults clothes!"

Octavia blinked turning away. Rainbow released Octavia’s arm to grab her face to steer her eyes toward her again. "You understand me," Rainbow whispered harshly. "Do you understand me?!" She yelled out causing Octavia to jump from the volume.

"Yes," Octavia whispered.

Rainbow sighed releasing Octavia, letting her slide down the wall to her knees on the ground rubbing her arms. Rainbow turned to see Fluttershy staring with shock and amazement. Rainbow shrugged.

"She might be a royal," Rainbow turned to see Octavia staring up at her hurt pride was etched across her face. "But she's still a foal in a dangerous world." Rainbow paused rubbing the bridge of her snout. "Get up," She ordered.

"Why?" Octavia asked.

"Get up!" Rainbow ordered a second time. Octavia slowly stood up with a sniff wiping her nose glaring at the pegasus.

"Rainbow?" Fluttershy asked carefully.

"Do the zebras have anything sharp?"

"Why?" Fluttershy asked with suspicion.

Rainbow turned back to Octavia to see her rubbing her arm. "It’s time to teach the royal how to hold a sword." Octavia blinked with a gasp looking up at Rainbow with shock. "And how to use it properly." Octavia blinked and looked down at Vinyl.

"But-" Octavia started with worry. She couldn't leave Vinyl all alone. What if she wakes up and wonders where Octavia was? Or what if she couldn’t wake up and decides to leave? Rainbow looked down at Vinyl biting her lip.

"It's better than sitting around and doing nothing but worry your ass off." Rainbow said flatly getting a look of surprise from Fluttershy. Octavia was equally shocked, the captain never spoke like this not even in front of her.

"I'll ... see if we have some machetes, would those be enough?" Fluttershy asked. Rainbow blinked and turned to see Fluttershy looking down at her feet.

"Yeah, those will be fine." Rainbow turned back to Octavia to see her still staring at her in shock. Rainbow groaned. She grabbed Octavia's sleeve and started to drag her out. Octavia glared at the pegasus. Fluttershy followed behind them.

"Let me go, I can walk myself!"

"Nope, you have to earn that." Rainbow said steely.

Octavia gasped and decided to show the captain who's really in charge. They reached the end of the hall into the open chamber where the ailing zebras rested. Even several of the crew were in the chamber helping the zebra healers. Octavia readied herself and pulled back hard getting out of Rainbow's grip.

"No!" Octavia yelled out causing a scene. Rainbow sighed trying hard to not blow up again. A few of the shipmates were in the room watching what was going on. "I am the princess of Canterlot and you were my father's guard! I should be the one ordering you not the other way around! So I order you-" Octavia never got to finish when Rainbow spun around and slapped her hard in the face. Octavia caught herself against a wall holding her cheek seeing Rainbow’s snarl.

“Rainbow Dash!" Twilight screamed out running over. Fluttershy remained silent looking between Octavia and Rainbow. Octavia sniffed holding her bruised cheek staring with shock at Rainbow.

"You dare slap-" Octavia snarled with shock

.

"I so dare!" Rainbow snarled as Twilight and Applejack ran up.

"What the hay is wrong with you?" Applejack asked Rainbow with shock. Twilight reached Octavia to help her but Rainbow grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back.

"No, she has to learn that such actions is unacceptable!"

"Rainbow Dash she is a princess!" Twilight snapped glaring at her older friend. Fluttershy helped Octavia up to her feet. Rainbow pointed at her.

"She thinks because her father isn’t around I don’t have the right to do as I wish. Well guess what princess, you don’t know what I had done for you and you will respect me like one of your parents!"

"Rainbow that's enough!" Twilight yelled out.

"You don’t get it do you?" Rainbow whispered glaring at the unicorn. "She’s going to use the royal card on me! Me!"

"You are a royal guard." Applejack said crossing her arms. But she stood by Rainbow. "But hey, you must have some way if you think you’re so close to her."

Rainbow gave her friend a warning look before pointing a finger at Octavia.

"When this little ..." Rainbow began but stopped with a sigh. "You know what forget it!" She yelled out glaring at Octavia. "After lunch today, you and I are going up top and we're going to do some fighting lessons. The lessons that were taken from you by the Royals."

Octavia blinked at that, even her friends were surprised. Rainbow waved her hand at Octavia.

"Go ahead and get that little bruise tended, I'll see you after lunch. If you don’t come up I'll drag you out! You understand me?" She asked glaring. Octavia bowed her head.

"Is that understood?" Rainbow said this time louder.

Octavia nodded glaring at her. Rainbow snorted and turned on her heel and left the large room headed to the surface. Applejack sighed rubbing her eyes. Twilight walked over to Octavia but was stopped by Fluttershy.

"Rainbow's right," Fluttershy whispered.

"What?" Twilight asked aghast. "But Fluttershy, you saw-"

"I saw it all even before you did Twilight." She said turning to Octavia to examine her cheek. "Hmm, nothing bad, it'll be red for a while but you'll be fine." She thought for a moment then sighed. "Go on now, go take a nap with Vinyl," Fluttershy pushed Octavia towards Vinyl’s room. "I'll wake you when lunch is served."

Octavia didn’t do anything. She turned to Twilight for help but Twilight was equally confused.

"But I don’t understand." Twilight said bewildered. Applejack just turned and followed Rainbow outside to have a chat.

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Rainbow looked at the machetes three zebra warriors brought up for her. She touched the edge with her thumb and felt no sharpness and nodded. "Thanks for getting the blunt ones, if you can understand me." Rainbow said giving the three a warning look. The three were tense, unsure of what to do.

Rainbow turned around hearing a voice speaking Zebrican. She saw Daring and Applejack walking up to them, it was Daring who spoke to the zebras. One zebra bowed and spoke in return. Daring nodded and smiled waving them off. The three warriors nodded and walked away to go scavenging, leaving the three mares alone in the large clearing.

Rainbow snorted. "What do you two want?"

Applejack walked up picking up a machete swinging it around rolling her shoulders to loosen her tight muscles.

"Just to talk." Applejack said with innocence testing the blades sharpness.

Rainbow glared at her then turned to Daring. "Why bring the professor?"

Applejack frowned. "She wanted to come. But that’s not the point."

"What point is there?" Rainbow asked with a warning glare to her old friend.

"You’re hiding something Rainbow Dash, and it has something to do with the princess." Rainbow bowed her head tightening her grip on the pommel of the machete.

"I don’t want to talk about it right now, AJ."

Applejack blinked hearing the clear line of threat in her old friend’s voice. Rainbow swung the machete taking steps forward warming up. But Applejack wanted to know more.

"Yer treating her like a child," Applejack said with a quirked brow.

"That’s because she still is." Rainbow said curtly swinging the machete down then she did a front kick in the air with a wince holding her hip.

"True,” Applejack conceded. “But the way you spoke to her it was like you were scolding her for being high and mighty." Daring stayed silent listening to the conversation with interest. Rainbow sighed looking up at the sky.

"Can’t you just leave that feather alone?" Rainbow asked with a groan.

"Nope, because I know you Rainbow. From what you told me, you care about Octavia. More than just a princess that needs protection. From every guard I met you're the only one that never turned a blind eye from her. You kept a griffin eye on her and the way you talked to her," Applejack paused watching Rainbow for a reaction. She got nothing. Rainbow stayed silent. Applejack continued.

"I think she means more to you than some royal you were stuck to guard. You’re treating her like she was your own flesh and blood, just like that prince."

Daring blinked as the pieces fell into place. Rainbow glared coldly at Applejack pointing her machete to her friend. Applejack raised up her hands glaring at the pegasus. Rainbow and Applejack glared at one another for several long tense minutes until Rainbow sighed closing her eyes turning away, lowering the machete to her side then letting it drop to the ground. Applejack sighed with relief then walked forward to place her hand on her shoulder.

"It's hard," Rainbow whispered.

"What is?"

"Everything," Rainbow sniffed. "You don’t know what crap I've been through since that accident,"

Applejack nodded. "I know, I was there."

"Losing my fertility to life after that accident … You don’t know anything!"

Applejack nodded. "I might not know everything Rainbow, but you want to know what it's like to think of my brother, an elder now in his age, have no children to continue our family? Hell, look at me, I'm old enough to be a Granny myself and I don’t have children. I know it's tough. For a long time in that damn prison even on that pirate ship I was hoping to find the right stallion to have a family with ... but look at me." Rainbow sniffed turning to see Applejack placing her finger into Rainbow’s chest.

"Most of us might never have any children to continue our legacies. You won't, ‘Shy won't, Twilight ... she still has some time left... But I can tell by the way you looked at that royal and you looked at the princess. You have this glint in your eye that reminds me of many mothers watching their children grow up." Applejack wrapped her arm tightly around her friend holding her.

"There is no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed for loving a young’un like her, Sugarcube. You’re doing right."

Rainbow shook her head. "No ... I'm nothing to her anymore." Rainbow whispered sadly. Applejack patted Rainbow’s back.

"But she is to you. I can see why you punished her like that, you are the last pony she has that's like family and she doesn't realize it yet."

Rainbow pulled away, wiping her eyes. "It hurt to do that to her. It hurt even worse the way she spoke to me. Do you want to know what it feels like to be from a perfect parent then the next you have to be a monster just to protect the one you love?"

Applejack shook her head. "No, I suppose I don't."

Rainbow sniffed with a smirk shaking her head as the tears slide down her cheeks.

"It's hard to see her grow up, and every day she grows more afraid of me by the day... just then," Rainbow went down on the ground crying now. "I'm a monster and only Octavia can show me what I really am and forever will be, a monster."

Applejack bit her lip. "Now it's back to Fluttershy. Octavia is the reminder of what you did to Fluttershy, huh?" Rainbow nodded numbly.

"Now I see it in my dreams and memories... Octavia’s fear reminds me of the horror I gave Fluttershy. And to everypony I killed."

Applejack sighed. "Sugarcube you have to let this go, it's not helping you. I let everything that happened go, really." She whispered holding Rainbow tight. "Please, forget about it and let it go."

"But how?" Rainbow whispered. "Every time I close my eyes I see Fluttershy screaming for me to stop, begging me to stop. And I couldn’t control myself, I was so angry! I wanted to choke her to death! I'm afraid I'll end up doing that again and I won't be able to stop it."

Applejack shook her head placing her forehead over Rainbow's head. She remained quiet knowing her presence was helping Rainbow a touch. Daring eventually left them alone to go underground again. After a while Rainbow sniffed patting Applejack on her arm.

"Thanks." She whispered with another sniff.

"Not a problem, Sugarcube."

Rainbow sniffed with a smile. "You know ... the one thing I missed about you was your gentleness. Isn’t that weird?"

Applejack smiled with a small chuckle. "Nah, it means you're back to the old Dash I knew." Applejack ruffled Rainbow's mane getting a laugh from the pegasus. "I missed you too, Sugarcube."

Rainbow smiled then sighed looking back at Applejack with a frown. "Tell the others if you want but ... I'd rather tell them myself though."

Applejack nodded. "About you and Octavia?"

Rainbow nodded with a sniff hiking up her legs crossing her arms on top of her knees. "She’s ... more than just a princess to me ... she's like family. Family I wished to have."

Applejack nodded. "I understand. But can I ask you this question?"

"It depends," Rainbow said with a tone of warning.

Applejack pulled off her hat. "Who is the princess to you for real? What did she look at you as before she called you a monster?"

Rainbow looked up at the tree line watching a flock of birds fly into the air. "She never called me a monster. It looked like she had seen one every time I see her."

"Yeah?"

Rainbow closed her eyes then reopened them feeling her eyes sting with new tear. "Mimi,"

"Huh?" Applejack asked confused.

"She called me, Mimi ... her Grandmother." Rainbow closed her eyes again trying hard not to cry again.

Applejack nodded, biting her lip, and rubbing her head. "Gosh, Rainbow,"

"I knew I was too close to her," Rainbow interrupted clenching her fists. "If they knew how close I was to Octavia they would have used her to hurt me ... I couldn’t let that happen."

"So you became the cold hearted monster you never wanted to portray?"

Rainbow shrugged shaking her head. "I guess ... She never called me Mimi again. But I sure did miss that little mane pulling monster." Rainbow chuckled sadly with a sniff.

Applejack smiled. "So what now? Will you tell her?"

Rainbow gave Applejack a warning look. She then softened the look and sighed. "I'm the only one she has left. I might have to ... tell her the whole truth."

Octavia stepped outside for the first time in a couple of weeks. She blinked, shielding her eyes from the bright light outside. She rubbed her eyes feeling tears coming out from the pain. She stumbled forward hearing a sound of wood hitting wood. Fluttershy followed behind her with her satchel saying she would be out looking for herbs for Vinyl and Princess Luna's treatments.

Octavia never visited her supposed Ancestor, only Twilight was put in charge of her recovery. Using extensive magic therapy to try and get Luna out of her magical coma. But Octavia also wondered why Fluttershy was serious about joining Octavia in the first place.

Fluttershy lead Octavia towards the thwacking sounds which lead to a large clearing in the forest. Octavia stopped, seeing Rainbow and Applejack doing some sort of exercise with two thick sticks hitting against each other in some sort of rhythmic dance. Until Applejack yelped dropping her stick waving her hand up and down.

"Ha!" Rainbow cheered grinning. Octavia was bewildered by the sudden emotions she saw in the cold captain. But seeing her smile that was truly strange. Applejack noticed the two mares and smiled holding out her sore hand in a wave.

"Oh howdy!" Applejack called out smiling. Rainbow stiffened and turned with a little bit of worry and shock seeing the two mares staring at her.

"Oh uh," Rainbow dropped her sticks clearing her throat looking professional. "So," She returned to Captain Dash. "Are you ready?" She asked walking up to Octavia. Octavia shied away a bit but knew nothing will stop this.

"As ready as I'll ever be, Captain Dash." Octavia said with a growl.

Rainbow blinked with a scowl but turned away with a sigh. She reached for one of the discarded sticks tossed one to Octavia. Octavia caught it with a fumbled attempt. She gasped seeing the second stick being thrown towards her, she yelped and moved to the side dodging the second stick. Fluttershy, who was still standing next to Octavia, caught the second stick with ease with a small smile on her face. Rainbow blushed seeing the small smile pointed towards her. Rainbow smiled in return as she turned around to see Applejack walking over with a pair of extra sticks. Rainbow took the sticks as Applejack walked over to a tree and leaned against it crossing her ankles, getting comfortable. Rainbow waved her stick for Octavia to come forward.

"Alright, princess, your training begins now." Rainbow said smirking.

Octavia gulped looking to Fluttershy for help. Fluttershy quirked a brow shaking her head as she handed the stick to her. Octavia took the stick and sighed in defeat walking forward. Fluttershy smiled and walked off into the jungle leaving the three alone. Rainbow started walking around Octavia twirling one of the sticks in her hand. Octavia watched her walk around her talking.

"Alright, here's the deal, Applejack and I are going to train you on how to fight."

Octavia glared at her. "And why should I? I can fight and protect myself perfectly."

Rainbow cocked an eye brow. "Really?" She stopped behind Octavia lifting up her stick.

"Of cour- OW!" Octavia leapt high into the air jumping forward staring with true horrified shock as Rainbow was smirking. "Did you just swat me?!" Octavia shirked still in shock of what just happened.

"I did," Rainbow chortled a she spun the stick again like a baton. "So you said you can protect yourself huh?" Octavia stood still watching as Rainbow circled her again.

"Of course I can!" Octavia growled blushing.

"Really?" Rainbow asked again. Just then Applejack grinned. She leaned over to grab a large rock then with an aimed throw, threw the rock into a nearby tree hearing a deep whack sound causing Octavia to flinch and turn allowing Rainbow to make a sneak attack. Octavia turned too late and screamed out as Rainbow wrapped her arm around Octavia’s neck and used her stick to poke her hard in the gut and her second stick tapping Octavia’s temple. Octavia squirmed in her hold. She flinched when Rainbow breathed into her ear.

"If these were knives, you would have been dead," Octavia growled trying to get out of her hold. Rainbow chuckled as Octavia continued to squirm. "Just because you're royalty doesn't mean I'm giving you any easy shots. You were a target the moment you were born." Rainbow whispered harshly.

Octavia screamed out finally pulling away from Rainbow. Rainbow smirked letting her go easy. Octavia turned to her panting hard and glaring coldly at her.

"If my father knew-" She called out.

"If your father was here, he would agree with me." Rainbow said easily sticking her sticks into the waistband of her trousers as she pulled off her jacket. Rainbow bundled her jacket then threw the red cloth over to Applejack.

Octavia snorted turning away. "As if you know what my father thinks!"

Rainbow sighed rolling her eyes. "You know you act like him."

Octavia turned to her with a curious scowl. "What do you mean?"

Another whack from a nearby tree caused Octavia to jump and turn to look. Rainbow ran forward for another attack. Octavia turned and screamed out seeing the guard running towards her at a fast pace. Octavia used her sticks to feebly glance off Rainbow's attack. But her defenses were too weak as Rainbow pushed her hard to the ground. Octavia fell hard on the ground as Rainbow leaped over her. Rainbow dropped her sticks to use her hands to soften her landing into a roll. She rolled to her feet hearing a loud pop and winced loudly.

"Gah, dammit!" Rainbow cursed silently holding her hip towards her back as she slowly stood back up, kicking her leg out trying to get the numbness out. Octavia slowly sat up glaring at the captain as she scooped up the sticks again.

"I doubt my father would allow his perfect captain to mishandle his daughter!" She snapped. Rainbow just chuckled smiling at Octavia. Octavia stiffened seeing that her threat didn’t do anything.

"Your daddy's not here, princess." Rainbow whispered. Octavia watched as Rainbow flared her large blue wings and leap at her. Octavia stared with awe and fear as Rainbow landed on top of her straddling her waist. Octavia felt the poke of one stick into her side and her second stick poked her hard in the neck causing the princess to cough from the blow. She glared at the pegasus on top of her.

Rainbow smirked. "While we wait for your hybrid friend, you and I will be training until we leave and from what I learned from Fluttershy, your friend will be out for a long time and not to mention she'll have to regain what she lost right?"

Octavia blinked then turned away staring at the stumps and rocks on the ground. She felt the stick on her cheek pushing her face to the left so her eyes will be back on Rainbow again. Octavia gulped with fear seeing Rainbow's maniacal grin and half lidded eyes.

"I'm going to enjoy this."

Octavia gulped again as her ears fell back on her head scared for what this monster might do to her.

Fluttershy left the jungle into the training clearing with her satchel filled with many herbs and flowers for the medicines she has to make. She stopped in mid-step seeing Octavia panting doing pushups on the ground going quite slow at it as she struggled to even lift up her body off the ground.

"Come on!" A loud voice called out.

Fluttershy turned to see Applejack doing some stretches as Rainbow walked around Octavia yelling at her like a drill sergeant. Fluttershy walked over to Applejack. The earth pony looked up and smiled seeing Fluttershy walking over.

"Oh hey, ‘Shy." Applejack greeted smiling. "Looks like you got a full haul, huh?" Fluttershy looked down at her satchel and smiled.

"Yes I found a patch of Green Root plants, and purple ivies. Um, how goes the training?" She asked carefully, watching Octavia collapse on her stomach panting, her energy all gone.

"Get up!" Rainbow barked kicking dust into Octavia’s face. "Come on, you’re an earth pony. I saw Apple Bloom do fifty pushups easy!"

Applejack sighed shaking her head. "Does going back to Drill Sergeant Dash answer your question?" She asked with a smirk.

Fluttershy chuckled but frowned watching Octavia struggle. "But why is Rainbow wanting to train her like a soldier?" She asked curiously.

Applejack smirked. "Rainbow was trained as a soldier first before learning sword fighting." Fluttershy nodded.

"Well yes, everypony was trained as a soldier before dealing with weapons."

"That’s the plan." Applejack said shaking her head.

Fluttershy looked up at the sky to see the sun diving to the west from the noon position. Octavia was training since lunch time so ... three hours. The air was sticky with humidity and the temperature not as kind. Fluttershy sighed handing her satchel to Applejack walking over to the duo.

Rainbow kneeled down grabbing Octavia's vest and pulling her up to sit on her knees. She opened her mouth to yell but Fluttershy intervened.

"Rainbow, that's enough!" She scolded harshly. Rainbow blinked from her reverie to stare at the yellow pegasus.

"Oh, uh hey, ‘Shy," She blushed letting go of Octavia letting her fall forward on her face in the dirt. Octavia groaned pushing herself up so she could cough and spit out the dirt from the inside of her mouth.

Fluttershy crossed her arms across her chest glaring at Rainbow, as Rainbow rubbed her sweaty neck with a harsh blush.

"Rainbow, she’s not like the soldiers you've trained before." Rainbow's blush intensified as she glared down at Octavia's back. Fluttershy continued her scolding. "She’s a princess and never done things like this before. Not to mention in this environment." Rainbow looked back down to see Octavia slowly crawling away from them.

"How else can I train her?" Rainbow asked stomping her boot on top of Octavia’s back. Not hard but hard enough to cause Octavia to yelp with shock falling on her stomach again with a groan, blowing her bangs away from her face. Fluttershy grabbed Rainbow’s arm pulling her away from Octavia.

"She might be an Earth Pony, Rainbow, but even Applejack can tell she's had enough."

Applejack jumped hearing her name turning to see Rainbow giving her a quizzical look. Applejack shrugged her shoulders. Rainbow groaned rubbing the bridge of her snout.

"I'm not letting her sit around losing muscles worrying over that hybrid." Rainbow growled. Octavia growled knowing who Rainbow was referring to. Vinyl Scratch was no Hybrid, she was a unicorn.

"That Hybrid has a name!" Octavia snapped getting a look from Rainbow. Rainbow lifted up her boot then shoved Octavia back on the ground causing her to yell out.

"She’ll be a Hybrid until she can prove to me otherwise." Rainbow said with a glare. Octavia growled staring straight ahead blowing her banes away from her face again. Rainbow blinked with an idea and had a hard sick feeling in her stomach as she opened her mouth. "Same goes with you, Hybrid," Rainbow said harshly turning away.

Fluttershy and Applejack turned to Rainbow hearing the hardness in her voice. Applejack gave her a searching look seeing Rainbow closing her eyes as if ashamed but continued on.

"I won’t call you a princess until you prove to me that you are not a sniveling earth pony hybrid that got everything hand and hoof for her."

Octavia glared up at Rainbow with true hatred. She rolled away from Rainbow's boot and stood up facing her.

"You will regret calling me by that name," She growled threateningly.

Rainbow continued her act by quirking an eyebrow. "Well you better get used to it, Hybrid, you have a long way to go before impressing me. And believe me I don’t get impressed easily."

Octavia felt tears of anger and hurt roll down her face. She looked down seeing a large rock sitting by her foot. She looked back up watching Rainbow walk off to pick up the training sticks with a sigh.

"Alright, I'll give you a break," Rainbow said with a snort. Octavia bent over to grab the rock, it was about the size of her fist. She turned and with a yell threw the rock at the pegasus’ head. Fluttershy and Applejack saw this and gasped.

"Rainbow!" Fluttershy cried out with fear. Rainbow smirked and jumped to the left dodging the rock as it slammed into a nearby trunk leaving a large dent in the tree and causing several green fruits to fall to the ground. Rainbow grinned turning to see Octavia with fear and horror on her face, backing away. Rainbow points her stick at her.

"There’s that strength I was looking for!" She chuckled shaking her head. Fluttershy ran up to Rainbow as Applejack ran to Octavia's side to make sure she didn’t do another stunt like that again.

"I'm fine," Rainbow murmured smiling at Fluttershy to see her with true fear on her face. Rainbow turned back to Octavia. "Alright change of plans." She snapped causing Octavia to stiffen again and try to get away, if Applejack didn’t have a good hold of the back collar of her shirt.

"Fluttershy, do your zebras have anything we can use for camping equipment?"

Fluttershy blinked. "No, zebras usually sleep on the ground out in the open, unless there are dangerous creatures or any weather then they sleep in the trees or in the villages."

Rainbow nodded thinking as she stroked her chin near a scar. "Hmm, well do you have blankets?"

"Yes, why?" Fluttershy asked still trying to figure out what Rainbow was planning.

Rainbow smiled at Applejack and Octavia. "AJ, you want to do a special exercise for old times’ sake?"

Applejack blinked for a moment then smiled. "Why sure, I can use an exercise."

"What are you planning?" Fluttershy asked. Rainbow placed her hands on her hips looking to Fluttershy with a grin.

"I think it's time to teach Octavia while on foot. Time to teach everything a soldier must learn at once."

"What?" Octavia blurted out. "You mean we are going out there?" She asked pointing behind her to the forest. Suddenly Applejack slapped her upside the head causing the princess to whimper, rubbing the back of her head.

Applejack gave her a stern look. "From now on you will not speak unless spoken too or if you are given permission."

"What?! How- Ow! Stop it!" Octavia screamed out getting a slap from Applejack again.

"You must ask first, Cadet!" Applejack roared out causing Octavia to stagger back from the volume. Rainbow chuckled.

"Right, I have my lieutenant then?" Rainbow asked grinning. Applejack frowned.

"Hey! I'm still a colonel."

Rainbow chuckled. "True," She turned to Fluttershy. "We can use some supplies."

"Why?" Fluttershy asked with worry. "Will you be coming back?" Rainbow smiled at her gently placing her hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder. Fluttershy stiffened feeling the contact but stayed where she was.

"Yeah no problem just not back down in the tunnels. We'll be camping out here for a while." Rainbow answered. Octavia gulped at that. Fluttershy nodded her head hesitantly.

"Alright, I'll get some supplies ready and..." Fluttershy paused for a moment then sighed turning away, walking for her burnt cottage. Rainbow blinked thinking then turned back to Octavia.

"Alright, Hybrid get on the ground and do some pushups!"

Octavia groaned doing as she was told. She went down on her knees preparing herself for the task at hand.

Author's Note:

Hello everypony! Guess which story is back? That's right, TMS is back up again and well there are reasons why the story went to a screeching halt and for that I apologize. First it was a new chapter, then college, then more college, my sister taking up the computer for college work, and me being super lazy. Time to get this story back up!

As always big thanks to Xhoral1865 for the editing job.

Alright so the first thing we notice is Rainbow Dash back to normal, sort of. Octavia being a royal pain in the flank, and training time. It was planned that this chapter was to have a more light hearted feeling than most chapters. Oh yes and the next chapter we'll be seeing Vinyl again. I bet you guys are wondering what's happening with her huh? :raritywink:

Anyway same old, same old. Let me know what you thought about the chapter and let me know if there are any mistakes Xhoral and I missed. Until next time. It'll be soon, pinkie promise. :raritywink: