• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 2,689 Views, 36 Comments

The Sun and the Moon - Brony_Fife



Trixie tries to cast a spell, but everything goes wrong... in all the right ways.

  • ...
16
 36
 2,689

Sun Follows Moon

There was white, and there was warmth.

The two danced together for a few seconds—or maybe minutes—or maybe an eternity or two—then they gradually faded away like a receding tide. Her other senses came back slowly, with tingling sensations up and down every inch of her body. The wagon around her began as a wet, warped image, gradually evolving into more definite shapes. A sound chirped from a million miles away, rushing toward her ears until it grew into Trixie’s voice.

“Oh Trixie’s gosh!” she exclaimed. “Trixie is so sorry! The Great and Apologetic Trixie is sorry!”

Sunset tried to say something, but it came out as a gurgle. She coughed, clearing all the phlegm and spittle. “Shut your stupid mouth, you—”

Sunset fell silent. Trixie did likewise.

Why does my voice sound funny? Sunset wondered with some worry. Her original voice was like honey, dark and sweet—or at least, that’s Flash Sentry told her when they first met. The voice that grumbled out of her just now was hardly any of those things: it was more of a sultry tenor seasoned with a bad attitude.

Sunset then sat up, swinging her forelegs in front of herself. She looked down at them, and gasped at the noticeable change in their shape—no longer slender, but sturdy. Strong-looking. She moved one foreleg, watching and feeling the swell of its bicep. Her forelegs were so much fuller than they were before.

She stood up then, noticing that she was a bit taller now, too. Her dread quickly reaching a boiling point, Sunset snapped her eyes to Trixie.

Trixie’s blue face was frozen in a stunned expression, her cheeks a-blush, an enchanted, captured look in her eyes.

“I NEED A MIRROR!” Sunset bellowed. “GET ME A MIRROR!”

Trixie snapped out of her stupor. “Uh, s-sure!” She scrambled about at first, then made a quick glance-around of her wagon’s interior…

…only to remember that she always had mirrors around. But they were the types she used in her magic tricks, and totally not for any purpose of vanity or self-fulfillment whatsoever, no-sir-ree. Trixie grabbed the nearest one with her magic and floated it over to Sunset. “I-It’s not as bad as it looks, really!” she assured her mentor.

The mirror was rudely ripped from Trixie’s grasp by a light green glow. Sunset floated the mirror over and was stunned by what she saw.

A handsome, boyish face looked back at “her”—his eyes exactly the same color as “hers”, his coat the same color as “hers”, his mane the same color as “hers”. Her full lips were replaced by a pair of masculine chops, crowning a cute chin and fetching jawline. He looked like the kind of guy Sunset Shimmer would want to date.

The mirror dropped onto the ground. “Oh, shit,” Sunset murmured, his face crumpling into sheer panic. He winced. He gulped.

Then he dunked his head down low and looked between his legs.

There was a cringe-inducing silence as Sunset's eyes widened.. Slowly, he raised his head back up, holding his breath with an angry snarl that caused Trixie to take a cautious step backwards. His nostrils flared as he growled, “Change me back. CHANGE ME BACK. RIGHT. NOW.”

Trixie gulped. She had just turned her mentor into the cutest colt she’d ever seen, without knowing how she did it. Was there any way to explain it to this very angry, very-experienced-in-horrible-kinds-of-magic mare-turned-stallion?

Probably not.

“Th… The Great and Powerful Tri—”

“Great and powerful, nothing!” Sunset spat as he took a menacing step forward. “You were supposed to change an apple into an orange, not give me a dick! How did you even manage to cast a genderswap spell in the first place?! That's a Class SS spell! That's like, magic's Legendary Mode! You can barely manage C-Class!”

Suddenly, Trixie dropped her most fan-endearing trait. “I don’t know how!” Trixie shouted, throwing her forelegs into the air. “I don’t know how I turned you into a stallion! And I don’t know how to undo this!”

Sunset had become used to Trixie’s histrionics, her exaggerated claims and body language, her inability to cop to her mistakes. So he believed her now—everything she just said and did was just as much dropping her act and cutting the crap as it was a terrible implication of their current situation.

They stood there, glaring at one another for a few seconds before Sunset finally huffed and settled himself. “Well then, we need to look for a cure. And by we, I mean you.”

“But Trixie doesn’t understand how Trixie even DID this!” Trixie reminded him, once again referring to herself in third person. “How is Trixie supposed to undo this if Trixie doesn't know how it happened to begin with?”

Sunset’s lips pulled into a scowl that turned up the heat in Trixie’s face. That look of teeth-grinding angst. He then reached over, his hoof touching her shoulder, sending electricity all throughout her body. He impatiently spun her around, then pointed at the books on her desk. “Your answers are in those,” he said impatiently. “Just take a look. It’s in a book!”

He was so… close to her now. Trixie bit her lip, that electrifying feeling still tingling from the tip of her horn to the bottoms of her hooves. She breathed in deep, and got a big whiff of pure, undiluted male—a scent that peeled the sweat out of her pores. And then, there was Sunset’s voice.

His voice wasn’t sexy. His voice was sex. Plain and simple. He could be rattling off the nutritional values on the back of a can of peas and she would still be enraptured by that beautiful tenor of his. She didn’t notice she was leaning into him with a dreamy smile on her face until Sunset backed away.

“What are you doing?!” he demanded.

“N-Nothing!” Trixie lied, gulping. “Anyway! Trixie has this. Books. Answers. Cure. Yes!”

Trixie stumbled to the table, picking up books and going through them. She set them back once she realized they weren't about shapeshifting magic, then went for the ones that were. A few suddenly glowed bright green and floated to Sunset, who’d walked over to the desk with this look of duty on his face. His jaw steeled, his eyes piercing. Trixie liked that face. This was the look of a stallion in a missionary—excuse me, a stallion on a mission.

They flipped through some of the books in silence for a small while. From the corner of her eye, Trixie watched him as he studied with her, admiring his form from different angles. His chest was broad, but not intimidating; his legs were strong-looking, but not rippling with muscle; his flanks were taut, but not—

Oh. Oh no.

His flanks. They were powerful, chiseled objects designed by clever goddesses who knew exactly what their subjects wanted. Trixie licked her lips nervously, imagining all the things that a stallion with flanks like those could do to her.

She clenched her teeth and shook the perverted thoughts out of her mind, picking up other books on shapeshifting and flipping through them, searching for any clue as to what to do. But no matter what she did, this stallion next to her was driving her crazy with lust.

Trixie couldn’t believe she was getting so excited over Sunset’s new form. Besides the fact that he was hot. And right next to her. And hot.

But he was her mentor, for Celestia’s sake! Not to mention originally a girl! This teenage filly act was beneath her—as well as annoying, if Sunset’s reactions were any indication.

On the other hoof, how long had it been since she’d been with anypony? Had it really been three years since the last time she tasted what really made a stallion a stallion?

Trixie gulped nervously, bullets of sweat riveting down her face as heat built up in her ears. Finally, he rested a book down. She thought he’d finally found what they were looking for, only for Sunset to groan and facehoof. “Something wrong?” Trixie asked.

“What are we doing?” Sunset asked rhetorically. “This is a genderswap spell you cast on accident. You couldn’t even hold an apple’s transformation into an orange for longer than four seconds.” He laughed into his hoof, then looked at Trixie with those magnificent sparkling green eyes of his. “We just need to wait for it to wear off.”

Trixie caught herself getting lost in the universe behind those eyes and shook her head slightly, as if trying to cast away her out-of-control perverted thoughts. “W-Well, uh… okay then!” She smiled insecurely. “That sounds good to Trixie.”

So they sat and waited. Sunset Shimmer drummed a hoof on the table lazily. He clicked his tongue. Swallowed. His eyes floated around the wagon a little. Trixie shyly placed her hoof on a book and moved it up and down the desk. She looked away, her eyes landing on the apple from before.

“Well, this is boring,” Sunset Shimmer declared.

Trixie shrugged, bringing her attention back to her mentor. “OK then. What do you wanna do?”

Sunset shrugged. “I dunno. What do you wanna do?”

A million situations crossed Trixie’s mind. Some of them involved more conservative positions. Some of them were a little more adventurous. All of them colored her face from blue of limelight to shade of beet.

“Could, uh… could… maybe we…” Trixie shyly shrunk down while nervously clapping her hooves together. This was a dumb idea. It would be the most terrible thing to suggest in a situation like this, but… come on, mare! It’d been three years!

“…Could we make out?”

“No,” Sunset said flatly and without a hint of hesitance.

“I thought so,” Trixie sighed as she looked away.

Sunset scoffed. “What? Is it because I'm a dude now?” A snicker wormed its way out of Sunset’s mouth from behind his hoof. His laugh was the most wonderful sound that had ever tickled Trixie’s great and powerful ears. It was Sunset’s original snicker, but at this masculine pitch that played Trixie’s spine like hooves on ivory keys.

“Or,” Sunset teased, “were you… were you into me even before?”

Deeply embarrassed, Trixie drooped, now on her rump, her head lowered. She looked like a puppy whose master just chastised it for taking a piss on the rug.

“…Trixie?” Sunset asked, this time in genuine concern. “You okay?”

“No,” she said flatly. “I’m not.” She looked away. “You’re being mean to me.”

“So?” Sunset said with a shrug. “I’m always mean to you. In fact, we’re both kind of mean to each other. What’s your point?”

Finally, Trixie threw her hooves into the air again. “For Pete’s sake, Sunset! When was the last time either of us had sex?!”

The question had taken Sunset Shimmer off-guard. “He” remembered the last time she had sex—it was about a year and a half ago. A few weeks before Flash Sentry dumped her. Her time with him felt like the best days of her life: that feeling of togetherness, of two becoming one.

Of course, the sex was sex between teens. They didn’t really know what they were doing. It was less sex and more like two pieces of kindling awkwardly rubbing together to start a fire, only to sputter and spark and... not much beyond that. So it wasn’t exactly a great experience, and Sunset was clumsy at it (not that Flash was any better).

But still, Flash was a cute guy—in fact, a great guy. Sunset could tell, simply because at the end of every day she spent with him, she'd be left wondering what she did to attract a guy as thoughtful and romantic as he was.

...So, what happened?

“Well, uh,” Sunset began.

“Three years!” Trixie said. “Three years of sexless humiliation and degradation!” She stomped about her wagon angrily as she continued her rant. “I was somepony once, you know! Maybe I wasn’t as important as Princess Celestia’s own personal protégé! And maybe I wasn’t this talented spellcaster! But I was somepony!

“I got up on that stage, and ponies cheered! I threw fireworks and told stories about big adventures that were so well thought-up, I got swept up into them and thought they were real myself! And everypony loved it! Everypony loved me!”

She stopped. Her back was to Sunset now, and upon closer inspection, Sunset caught the glimmering of quiet tears. “…They loved me,” she said weakly. “I used to be wanted. I’d meet some nice stallions. We’d get together for some fun when I was in town. But now, I think about it and I realize, it wasn't anything to them anyway. They abandoned me like everypony else did.”

Her back shuddered. “…I just wanna feel wanted again…”

Much of this was a story Sunset had heard before. The humiliation at the hooves of their mutual object of frustration, Twilight Sparkle. The years of embarrassment and spiraling into obscurity and irrelevance.

But this was a new development. Trixie had just opened up to her.

And Sunset… actually felt bad for her. It wasn’t something like pity (which the old Sunset Shimmer would have given like she gave so many). It was more empathic. It was that kind of feeling you get when you get kicked out of your house, spend a year on the streets, depend on the kindness of strangers—and when you finally get back on your feet, and you see a homeless guy on the corner holding a sign that says “HOMELESS, HUNGRY, ANYTHING HELPS”, you give him as much as you can part with because you’ve been there before—and you know how bad he has it—and you know how tough the world is—and you know how much it sucks.

You know all this just by looking at him, because even though you weren't there when his life went to shit, you were there. You had been hurt, too. You had been stepped on and cast aside. You were there.

Silence. Sunset got up and trotted over. “Hey,” he said quietly.

Trixie dared to look at him, her eyes swimming with tears. He gently wiped them away. “Look,” he said. “I know how you must feel, Trixie. I’ve... I’ve been there too, you know. Not feeling wanted. That pain of deep rejection that poisons you and your opinion of yourself.”

Trixie listened to his voice with rapt attention, looking into his stark eyes, drinking in his genuine empathy and warmth.

“Back before…” Sunset gave himself a once-over. “Well, before we even met, there was this guy I dated. I think you know the type. Cute guy. Big heart. Nice ass.”

Trixie giggled.

“No, really, it was. Anyway, he and I got together. But it wasn’t long until his patience with me and my bad attitude wore out. So he threatened to dump me unless I shaped up.” He breathed a wistful sigh. “I guess you know how well that turned out.”

Trixie was reluctant to say it, but… “He dumped you?”

Sunset paused. Sighed. Nodded sadly. “Yeah. Yeah, he did. I’m the type who wears her opinions, no matter how ugly or biased, on her sleeves. So even when I tried—and I mean, really tried—not to be such a bitch to everyone, I still slipped up and eventually he finally had it with me. We broke up, and he never so much as said hello to me ever again.”

His eyes looked to his hooves. Sunset shook his head and walked back over to the desk. “And you know something?” A small, miserable chuckle escaped him as he reached the desk. “I don’t think he ever really believed me when I told him I loved him. In retrospect, I... don't believe me either.”

Trixie’s heart sunk.

Sunset opened a book, lazily flipping its pages. “So yeah, I might have been under the tutelage of Princess Celestia and know a lot about magic, but I’ve never lived the experiences you have. All the fame and attention and travel. But I still lost the best things I had." He closed his eyes and breathed wistfully. “In the end? ...Maybe feeling wanted is just a dream for both of us.”

Trixie’s heart broke. It was the flatness of his delivery more than the words themselves. The idea that confident, bratty Sunset Shimmer really felt unloved deep down inside?

That… That just wasn’t right.

Trixie trotted over to Sunset. “I’m sorry,” she said quietly.

“Don’t be. Like every other terrible thing in my life, it’s mostly my doing anyway.”

Trixie huffed. “Come on, stop being so depressing!” She paused. “Well, on the other hoof, you are cute when you brood.”

Sunset smiled sadly and chuckled. “You’re just saying that because I have a dick now.”

“A dick, and taut muscles, and a sexy voice,” Trixie said, throwing a wink. “And a nice ass, if I may add.”

Silence. Sunset hissed a sigh from a pained smile. “This is just getting weird.”

Trixie nodded, a bewildered look in her eyes. “Yes,” she agreed. “Yes it is.”

Awkwardly, the two went back to just being quiet. Finally, Trixie clicked her tongue. “So, uh… the spell hasn’t worn off.”

“I noticed.”

The awkward silence pursued until Trixie chased it off with a cough. “Sunset, I, uh…”

“Yeah?”

“...I’m sorry. I’m already sorry for the spell, and for your ex. But I meant… just now, that whole story about my not feeling wanted?” Trixie sighed. “That was all bull.”

Sunset cocked an eyebrow. “You mean, you were lying about wanting to make out?”

“No,” Trixie said, shaking her head. “Not that. I mean, kinda. I was trying to manipulate you. Turning up the waterworks was… uh…” Trixie chuckled nervously. “That was my surefire method of getting guys to bed with me.”

Sunset stared at her dumbly. Then he suddenly smiled and laughed again, his beautiful snicker sneaking about from behind his hoof. “Are you serious?”

Trixie nodded, a dumb smile kidnapping her lips. “Yeah. Kinda pathetic, but it works. Well, usually.”

Sunset facehoofed, his laugh bouncing merrily all over the wagon. “Why didn’t I think of that?! The whole ‘poor, vulnerable girl’ act, playing on their misplaced chivalry?” His voice began to rise in its pitch, his laughter overtaking him completely. “And I fell for it! Me! You little shit, you got me good!”

Trixie joined in the raucous laughter. It really was kinda funny, honestly. Mostly stupid, but stupid enough that it tickles your ribs with how unfair life can be sometimes that you have to cheat to stay on top. It was a few minutes until the laughter finally died.

Interestingly, the starved feeling in Trixie’s loins had subsided. Well, almost. Sunset still made for a hot guy, but now Trixie was more focused, less controlled by her lust. Maybe it was the laugh they shared. Or—and this might be a real shocker—maybe it was because they just shared some of their darkest secrets.

Or—and this might be an even bigger shocker—maybe it was because she was now thinking of Sunset as more of a friend than a mentor/lust object. It was like a foggy haze dispelled by a ray of light. She could see clearly now.

Clearly.

“The shapeshifting spell,” Trixie said in sudden stark realization.

“Yeah?”

“It’s mostly based around the desires of the caster,” she declared, combing her memory of the passages she’d studied. “I wanted that apple to become an orange, but it didn’t work because I couldn’t visualize the orange well enough.”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “…Go on.”

Trixie paced the length of the wagon, going from one end to the other, explaining her thoughts. “I visualized what I thought I wanted—the orange—but my spell went out of control because I saw Canterlot’s spires and thought about stallions instead, and that coupled with my own loneliness made me want a stallion so much more than I wanted an orange, but the apple couldn't become a stallion because there wasn't enough mass, so the spell redirected to you so you’d become a stallion!”

Sunset slowly raised his other eyebrow, his face colored a shade of worry by the rambling madness he’d just heard.

“That’s what must have turned you into a stallion!” Trixie concluded. “My want for sex far outweighed my want for the orange.” She clicked her tongue, settling back into character. “...That and Trixie’s aim was off.”

A pregnant pause. “EeeeyyyYEAH!” Sunset Shimmer said unsurely. “So how will you undo this?”

She magic’d over the orange towel. “Here, hold this.”

“…Why?”

“Just trust Trixie on this one,” she said, backing away as Sunset held the towel in his forelegs. She stopped, then assumed her stance. Her eyes fixed on that handsome stallion, then on the towel he held. She settled her eyes on that towel, ignoring how handsome the stallion holding it was (Much harder to do than you'd think). Her horn began to glow.

She thought of that morning. Sunset took the towel. Trixie’s botched prank. The battle for the towel.

Sunset cleared his throat, hoping against hope this would work.

And then, even long before that. Their boisterous clash of egos when they’d first met. The heated words of their argument over who was better at magic. Sunset embarrassing Trixie in front of her small crowd by showing her up with better magic. Sunset helping Trixie fix her wagon’s broken wheel while it rained later that same day. Their mutual apologies. The long months afterward training Trixie to be a better spellcaster.

Sunset began to feel warm, like before.

And then, just everything in general about Sunset. All the things Sunset taught her. All the things Trixie admired and envied about Sunset Shimmer—her good looks, her smarts, her past.

The warmth inside Sunset began to grow.

Please, Trixie asked nopony in particular as her horn’s glow intensified. I just want my friend back to normal. I want my friend.

It was like making a wish.

There was white, and there was warmth.

Author's Note:

Wow, Sunset's chock-full of references and shout-outs today. Did you catch em all?