• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 2,687 Views, 36 Comments

The Sun and the Moon - Brony_Fife



Trixie tries to cast a spell, but everything goes wrong... in all the right ways.

  • ...
16
 36
 2,687

Moon Follows Sun

“Ugh! Not again!”

Trixie growled as the orange returned to being an apple. No matter what she did, it seemed that stubborn little apple would assert its anti-citrus form. She’d tried the same formula Sunset Shimmer had shown her, demonstrated for her—and when it didn’t work, Trixie had tried layering it with other, related spells in the hopes of making the spell last longer or just generally be more effective.

Yet, nothing. The apple would not yield.

Trixie knocked on the apple. “Why won’t you become an orange?!” she demanded. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is the spellcaster. You are the spellcastee. YOU. WILL. O. BEY.”

Her lungs filled up then let out, removing the growing frustration and anger that was bubbling inside her. Deep breaths, Trixie, deeeeeeeep breaths. Trixie looked to the books on her table—the ones Sunset had recommended she borrow from the library—and moved one over to her with only a thought.

She held the book in mid-air, flipping it open to the shape-changing section. There had to be something she was missing. Something that she couldn’t go to Sunset Shimmer for—knowing her, she’d probably laugh her ass off first. “The Great and Powerful Trixie having trouble with simple fruit?” she’d scoff. “Maybe you should try eating the damn thing! At least then, you could change its shape from apple to turd.”

No doubt, Sunset was the best magic mentor Trixie could ask for, but at the same time, she was so tough on her student that Trixie often entertained the thought of just kicking her out of her travel wagon. Still, there was much Trixie could learn from Celestia’s talented former student, and she got the odd feeling they both needed the company anyway.

Imagine how much better Trixie's show would be if she could actually live up to her title! Crowds would gather by the millions! Millions watching the Great and Powerful Trixie perform live and on stage, transforming a fearsome tiger into a docile kitten! Setting herself on fire with no ill side-effects! And for a finisher, she’d vanish in a puff of smoke—instead of faking it like she always did, it’d be bona fide teleportation.

But before any improvement could be made on her act, Trixie would have to improve on her magic. She waved her hypothetical future farewell for now and returned to her study.

The book claimed that to transform objects, one must imagine the desired end result as vividly as they can. A little bit under the text, in smaller font, revealed that visual cues helped.

Visual cues.

Trixie put the book down and looked at the apple, pressing a hoof against her lips. Visual cues, for an orange… maybe if she placed the apple on an orange-colored towel, it’d help her focus.

She placed the book back on her desk and exited her wagon. The warm weather slunk all about her like a nice thick coat as a cool wind brushed playfully at the grass around her hooves. The sun beamed down from above, with cicadas singing their ballads from the nearby trees. From here, Trixie could see Canterlot’s tall and phallic spires climbing towards the sky.

Trixie blinked. Did she really just think of Canterlot’s towers in Freudian terms? She let out a small sigh, her train of thought careening towards a self-deprecating direction. How long had it been since she’d had sex?

She thought about it more and more, not really wanting her train of thought to go there, but it chugged along until it arrived at its destination. As of two weeks ago, it had been three years. Another sigh slid out her nose, this one cold and lonely. Had it really been that long?

Travel was fun, and one of the best parts of it was meeting new ponies. There were quite a few stallions who captivated her so completely, they'd meet up later and… well, they did just what came naturally. And Canterlot—oh boy—Canterlot had the best stallions she'd ever had. But those days were gone.

Her reputation had seriously gone to shit since the Ursa Minor incident, and attempting a hostile takeover of Ponyville didn’t exactly help that very much. She was a laughingstock in the former situation, made out to be the fraud she, admittedly, was. But the Ponyville Takeover?

It didn’t take long for sensationalist newspapers to stretch certain elements of what really happened. While Twilight Sparkle, her friends, and even much of Ponyville were kind enough to forgive her, the rest of Equestria didn't share their opinion. The mean things they said about her when she was a fraud quickly mutated into downright cruelty. She could still see the estranging, judicial looks in their eyes as she’d walk by—even from the stallions she’d been with before.

Before she met Sunset Shimmer and began to finally get back on track with her travelling magic show (And magic in general), there were many a lonely night in which the only thing Trixie looked forward to was weeping silently into her pillow.

But that was then, wasn’t it? Trixie was taking steps to improve herself—and she’d prove herself to the world. But first, she’d have to prove it to herself.

Her ego coddled for now, Trixie walked around the wagon and finally found the supply box on its side. She undid the special lock with her magic (a handy-dandy spell for the unicorn with secrets worth keeping), and looked inside for an orange towel. “Where’s…? I thought I had one in here!” Trixie said after rummaging for a bit.

She thumped either side of the supply box’s open mouth with her hooves in frustration and harrumphed. Glancing aside, she found out where it went.

There, on the green grass, was Sunset Shimmer lying on the orange towel, taking a nap outside. Trixie had to admit, the girl had an eye for color theory: the orange accented her fireball color scheme beautifully, her red-and-yellow mane and tail curling about her every curve.

If it was one thing Trixie was totally jealous of, it was Sunset Shimmer’s stunning good looks. Her slender figure, piercing green eyes, the curly mane. Everything about Sunset's appearance was captivating. Maybe that was why she was so abrasive towards others. She’s such a hot piece she thinks she can get away with it… and likely did on a regular basis.

Trixie trotted over to Sunset, unsure if her mentor was truly asleep. When she was a few feet away, Trixie leaned forward a bit to watch Sunset’s side rise and fall in peaceful rhythm. After a second, she heard a quiet snore. Sunset’s hind leg twitched, then her ear. She was out like a light.

Trixie got The Notion. Not a notion. Not just any notion. The Notion. A wide and mischievous smile took snaked from one end of her face to the other as she slowly crept up on her mentor, intent on shaking her awake suddenly and screaming in her ear. She was now two feet away, squatting like a jungle cat about to pounce.

The moment Trixie shot forward to complete her prank, her face connected with something hard as ass. The force of the impact nearly knocked Trixie out, splitting her vision and mind in multiple directions. Everything went quiet for a second, then came back in a warped hum. When she came back together, Trixie realized she was on her back, facing the sky. She pulled herself back up to her hooves, and looked over to Sunset.

Still sawing logs. Her tail flicked adorably in her sleep.

Trixie knocked on the invisible shield Sunset had apparently put up around herself. Was it sound-proof, too? She never knew Sunset to be a heavy sleeper. Her knocks became a frantic waling on the shield’s walls—as if Trixie thought it would give out if there was enough force brought on it. She punched it. She bucked it. She chewed on it. She jumped on it. She sat on it. It just wouldn’t give, and Sunset wouldn’t wake up.

Trixie groaned and gave up, heading back to the wagon to look for something else that could also be orange.

Just as she was halfway to the wagon, she heard a theatrical yawn. She turned around to see that Sunset had just woken up, and had sat up to stretch. Trixie turned around and walked back, dead certain that Sunset had been awake the whole time.

“That wasn’t funny, Sunset,” Trixie glowered.

“Was for me,” Sunset countered, her red curls bobbing as she giggled. “What’s so important that you needed to interrupt my nap?”

Trixie sighed. “The Great and Powerful Trixie—”

“You don’t need to use your whole title around me,” Sunset interrupted.

Trixie scowled. “The Great and Powerful Trixie was trying to get that transformation spell right, and so Trixie needs the beach towel you’re sitting on.”

The Great and Powerful Trixie was supposed to turn an apple into an orange. Why does Trixie need my towel?”

The Great and Powerful Trixie needs the blanket as a focus because it’s orange,” Trixie said quickly. “And it isn’t your towel to begin with.”

Sunset Shimmer cocked an eyebrow as that wicked smile of hers painted her face in explicitly unfriendly colors. “Ooooh, the Great and Powerful Trixie needs a blankie. Whatcha gonna do about it?”

“Get off the towel!” Trixie commanded.

Sunset, who’d been sitting up on the towel this whole conversation, rubbed her butt on it in self-satisfaction. “Nope,” she said. “This towel is now officially property of my cute little bottom.”

“Trixie’s little hoof would like a word with your little bottom!” Trixie said as she shook a threatening hoof at Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset folded her forelegs and smiled smugly. “You want the towel, you’ll have to take it from me.”

A few seconds of silence. Then, Trixie’s horn glowed. Sunset winked one eye and suddenly, the glow around Trixie’s horn turned from her usual light blue to a bright green. Sunset’s color. A the same time, Trixie felt a sensation in her horn—it wasn’t unlike being rudely pinched. Trixie yelped as she recoiled.

“Trying to magic my towel away?” Sunset said. “You upset my bottom. My bottom is angry.”

Trixie then reached down to grab the towel with her teeth, intent on flipping Sunset right off it. Unfortunately, Sunset saw it coming and swatted Trixie away with her magic, sending her back a few good feet onto the grass. Trixie sat up. “Is this another one of your stupid lessons?” Trixie shouted. “Because all Trixie has learned today is that you’re a bitch!”

Sunset laughed haughtily. “No argument there,” she said. “But there’s still the matter of this towel. I’m still sitting on it.”

Trixie sat there, her lips downturned in a power-frown. She snorted as she got back up. It looked as though Trixie would have to use some guile here if she wanted the towel. She thought it over for a minute or two before thinking something up.

And when the idea hit her, Trixie smiled so sinisterly, Sunset’s own smug smile dropped for a moment.

Trixie then trotted to the wagon. She removed the brakes on the wagon’s wheels. She walked over to the front of the wagon. She yoked herself. Then she began to move the wagon away.

“H-Hey!” Sunset shouted. “Where are you going?!”

“You want the towel so much, you can keep it,” Trixie called over her shoulder. “Everything else inside the wagon belongs to Trixie!”

Sunset then got up and used her magic to stop the wagon’s rear wheels from turning. Just as the wagon was jerked to a stop, Sunset felt the towel underneath her give a dangerous lurch. With a blue glow, the towel flew out from under her, sending her spinning through the air, then landing on her cute little bottom with a thud.

The towel flew over to its master, who shook it free of stuck grass, then rolled it up midair. Trixie unyoked herself and walked around the wagon, where she was met by a scowling Sunset Shimmer. They shared some seething silence before smiles tugged at their faces, gradually pulling their scowls into smirks. Then they snickered. Then they shared a laugh.

Sunset Shimmer threw a hoof around Trixie’s withers as they walked back into the wagon. “You little shit, you got me good.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie never disappoints!” Trixie chirped as they entered the wagon.

The clean air and warm sunlight now behind them, the two walked over to the table where the stubborn apple sat. Trixie folded the towel up into a square shape, then picked up the apple and placed the towel beneath it. She backed off a bit, readying herself to try again.

Sunset got up on her hind legs, leaning against the wagon’s wall to the left of the apple's stand as she folded her forelegs. This should be fun to watch.

Trixie squinted as she focused on the idea of the orange. Its weight. Its taste. Its smell. She took a deep breath as her horn began to glow. She focused on the towel beneath the apple, the idea of the orange becoming stronger in her mind. The orange was practically in her mouth already, its juices spilling with every bite. This was it. The moment of truth.

Trixie’s squinted eyes caught something else. There, on the wall behind the apple, next to Sunset, was a poster of Canterlot. Her eyes transfixed on the spires—those phallic spires—all those amazing stallions—her concentration getting interrupted and jumbled at the very last second.

The apple glowed, and as it did, Sunset felt herself get a little warm. She raised an eyebrow as Trixie gave a shout and finished casting the spell.

Then everything went white with a poomph.