• Published 8th Jan 2014
  • 8,750 Views, 149 Comments

Bluebelle of the Ball, The Musical - mr lovecolt



Prince Dusk Shine is tasked with making sure that Princess Bluebelle's Birthday Ball goes well.

  • ...
14
 149
 8,750

Act 1 Scene 4: Proper Mare

Author's Note:

The tune of "Popular" is property of Stephen Schwartz, no copyright intended. However, the lyrics are my own parody. The song is Popular from "Wicked".

“If I can just find a way to reuse the ice sculptures… yeah, that’s it.”

It was late enough in the morning that ponies were trotting through Canterlot Park. As they went about their day, however, the ponies did their best to ignore the purple alicorn prince who was now seated at one of the park benches, muttering to himself as he levitated a checklist in front of him. If they did pay attention to him, they would have noticed a small twitch in his eye.

“Why don’t I just send for Bubble Berry? Oh Celestia, I still have to send invitations to my friends.”

A quill levitated from Dusk Shine’s saddlebag, and another entry was placed at the bottom of the checklist. He jumped off of the bench and began to make his way through the park. All of the stores that had the supplies he needed were on the other side of the river that cut through the center of Canterlot. As he made his way through town, he nodded and smiled to the ponies as they passed by. I don’t know what Bluebelle is talking about, Dusk Shine thought, all of the ponies here are friendly.

Dusk Shine reached the bridge that led to the other side of the city, but to his dismay, he saw that the carts were backed up from one side of the bridge to the other.

“Great,” Dusk Shine said, “Now I’m going to be even further behind schedule.”

He held the checklist up to his muzzle and turned around, only to crash into another pony.

“Oomph. I’m so sorry.” Dusk Shine said apologetically.

“It’s quite all right,” a feminine voice replied softly.

Dusk Shine lowered his checklist and saw a tall unicorn. Her pink and white mane flowed down her head and curled around her neck.

“Sorry, I was just distracted, Miss. Wait, I know you.”

“Oh, My Liege, where are my manners? Fleur De Lis.”

The unicorn bowed her head, but Dusk Shine stopped her.

“Please, there’s no need for that.”

Fleur De Lis rose up and looked at Dusk Shine, who now noticed how her eyes nearly matched her mane. She chuckled to herself and turned to the bridge.

“Well, this is a problem. I have to be at a modeling audition. So, Prince Dusk Shine, why don’t you simply fly over?”

Dusk Shine lowered his head slightly and turned his gaze to his wings.

“I, uh, I still can’t quite get the hang of it.”

“And teleporting? I hear you’re adept at it.”

“I try not to perform magic like that. It’s actually quite draining.”

Fleur De Lis chuckled again. Dusk Shine’s ears twitched at the sound.

“Well then,” she replied, “It seems we have the same problem.”

Dusk Shine took another look at the blocked bridge. He looked at his checklist, and then to Fleur De Lis.

“I have an idea.” Dusk shine said.

“Oh?”

“Come with me. I can get us across with the royal chariot.”

Fleur De Lis batted her eyes and blushed.

“You don’t have to do that.” She said.

“Nonsense. There’s room.”

“Well then, thank you, My Liege.”

“Please, just call me Dusk Shine.”

“You truly are a gentlecolt, Dusk Shine.”

The way she said his name came out in almost a whisper. Dusk Shine gave her an awkward smile, and together they made their way back to the castle. They reached the landing area of the royal chariot, where they saw two pegasi playing cards.

“I call.” One of the guards said as he revealed his cards.

“Buck, a royal flush? Seriously?”

The first pegasus laughed.

“You have to take over my kitchen duty.”

“I hate kitchen duty,” the second pegasus said, “that chef sings all the time.”

Dusk Shine cleared his throat, and the two guards leaped to their hooves and saluted.

“My Liege,” the first pegasus said, “how can we be of assistance?”

“I hate to interrupt your game,” Dusk Shine replied with a smirk, “but I was hoping that you could assist Miss De Lis and me by taking us across the river.”

“Of course, sir,” the second Pegasus replied as he tried not to look at the prince’s wings.

Dusk Shine hopped into the chariot and held his hoof out for Fleur De Lis, who smiled as she took it. Moments later, the two were in the air. Dusk Shine’s ear twitched as he heard one of the guards humming a very familiar tune.

“So,” Dusk Shine said as he turned to Fleur De Lis, “what modeling audition brings you to the other side of Canterlot?”

Fleur De Lis blushed as she ran a hoof through her mane.

“It’s for the annual Maretoria’s Secret Fashion Show.”

It was now Dusk Shine’s turn to blush. He scratched his foreleg with a hoof.

“Well, that’s, um, interesting.”

“You look positively embarrassed, Dusk Shine.” Fleur De Lis laughed.

There was a sudden gust of wind, and the two pegasi grunted as they worked to keep the chariot steady. Fleur De Lis tumbled forward and landed next to Dusk Shine, whose cheeks became even redder.

“My apologies.” Fleur De Lis said as she regained her balance.

“It… It’s all right. So what does Fancy Pants think of you auditioning for this job?”

“Oh, he and I are separated.”

“I’m sorry.” Dusk Shine replied.

“Don’t be,” Fleur De Lis smiled, “It was an amicable separation. But what brings you to the other side of Canterlot?”

“Well, Princess Celestia has put me in charge of Bluebelle’s party this year to make sure that things go well, and-.”

“Oh,” Fleur De Lis shouted, “I remember her birthday party last year.”

Fleur De Lis shook her head.

“Those poor guards.”

“Which is why I need to make sure this party goes well. The thing is, I’m really good at organizing things, but I don’t have much experience with parties.”

“Well, I can help you out with that.” Fleur De Lis replied.

Dusk Shine’s ears perked up. The chariot began to descend onto the landing strip on the other side of the river.

“Really?” He asked.

“Of course. Why don’t I meet you at Earl Grey Café at ten?”

The chariot landed and Dusk Shine hopped off, once again offering his hoof to Fleur De Lis.

“I… I think that would be great.”

Fleur De Lis nodded and turned to walk away. Before she left, she turned back to Dusk Shine.

“You truly are a gentlecolt,” she said, “Thank you so much for the ride.”

“You’re welcome,” Dusk Shine smiled, “Good luck with the audition.”

Fleur De Lis chuckled once again and winked at Dusk Shine.

“Oh, I always get the part that I want.” Fleur De Lis’s smirked as she bowed her head slightly. “My Liege.”

*****

Earl Grey Café stood at the corner of Mane Street and Trottingham Avenue. Dusk Shine sat at a green covered table outside and watched as the clock tower clicked closer to ten o’clock. In front of him were numerous checklists depending on what style of jazz theme he would decide to use. Bluebelle seemed to be most familiar with Zebra-Equestrian Jazz.

“Checking your checklists, Dusk Shine?”

Dusk Shine jolted up at the sound of Fleur De Lis’s voice. She smiled gently down at him as she made her way to the open chair. Dusk Shine’s aura glowed around the chair and it moved back to allow for her to sit down. She nodded her head to him and sat down.

“Triple checking it, actually.” Dusk Shine replied. “I need to make sure that this goes well. How did the audition go?”

“I will be their showcase piece of the evening.” She replied with a wry smile.

“Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” She said as she levitated one of the checklists in front of her. “So, a jazz theme?”

“Yes.” Dusk Shine answered.

“Well then, you have definitely come to the proper mare for the job.”

The two were interrupted by the waiter, who immediately bowed to Dusk Shine.

“My Liege, I am thrilled to have your patronage. What can I get for you and your marefriend?”

“I will have a cup of jasmine tea and a watercress sandwich, if you could be so kind.” Fleur De Lis said.

“I will have your classic Earl Grey.” Dusk Shine said. “I had a bit of cake this morning.”

The grey unicorn smiled. His thin white moustache twitched as he turned around and headed back inside. Dusk Shine turned to Fleur De Lis.

“Listen,” he said, “I want to thank you for helping me. You don’t have to, but I’m really glad to have another pony more familiar with Canterlot. It’s been years since I’ve been here, so I’m still getting used to things here.”

Fleur De Lis smiled and looked into Dusk Shine’s eyes.

“I know,” she replied, “that’s what makes me so nice.”

When I first saw you standing there, confused and in despair
I thought to myself, “Hey, why is this prince in such despair?”
And then in my head wheels began to turn.
And whether it’s a nice soiree
Or simply just a nice party
I know, I know, you do not want to get burned.

The waiter returned and placed the orders on the table. He nodded to both ponies and then made his way to his other customers.

Since this is for Bluebelle
She can be difficult, yes I can tell
I know my… reputation has been earned
Because I have learned.
Indeed… I know… that... I… am.

Fleur De Lis levitated her cup of tea and took a quick sip.

The proper mare
Yes, I am the proper mare
to help find the stores to shop
‘til you want to drop
to make sure you cannot fail. ahh
I can find what songs to sing
And what bands to bring
Down to every small detail
Proper mare
You just need the proper mare!
Who knows what Hors d'oeuvres to serve,
‘Cause they all deserve
To have the time of their lives

Fleur De Lis finished the rest of her tea and slipped her sandwich into her saddlebag. She reached over and pulled Dusk Shine out of his seat and threw a large amount of bits onto the table.

So let’s go
And I will help make this party thrive…

Dusk Shine found himself being dragged by the hoof through the street. A few of the ponies looked over at him with confused looks on their faces. He returned their gazes with a lopsided grin and a blush. Moments later, they were in front of a small party supply store. A light pink aura surrounded the door, and they trotted inside.

I’m sure there is no budget, you don’t need to worry,
‘Cause you have the backing of the Royal Treasury,
Take a look around and I am sure that you will see
The perfect streamer,
Oh, this one’s made of silver!
Now you see why I’m the
Proper Mare

Fleur De Lis levitated large swaths of silver and gold fabric from their spools over to Dusk Shine, who smiled and teleported them back to the castle. He then used his magic to make a note appear. It had a Royal Seal for the proprietor to redeem it at the Office of the Royal Treasury. Satisfied with their purchases, they headed back out of the store. Fleur De Lis pointed her hoof down the street.

There’s a store not far from here
It’s a record label
I’m sure you’re able
To find a band everypony wants to hear

“It’s a start.” Dusk Shine replied.

Oh don’t be so nervous
You really have nothing to fear.

Dusk Shine’s eyes widened as Fleur De Lis trotted into the street.

“Cart!” Dusk Shine shouted.

He used his magic to pull her back onto the sidewalk. A moment later, a taxi pony barreled through the street, barely missing her. Fleur De Lis turned to Dusk Shine and smiled sheepishly while tucking her ears down. They reached the record store and smiled to the DJ at the counter.

“Hello,” Dusk Shine said, “Could you help us find a jazz group?”

“Of course, My Liege. What’s the occasion?”

“We’re planning a birthday ball for Princess Bluebelle.”

The DJ’s eye twitched. Dusk Shine rolled his eyes.

“We asked her what music she wanted this time.”

The DJ breathed a sigh of relief and pulled out a large book from beneath the counter. Dusk Shine and Fleur De Lis flipped through the pages. Fleur De Lis placed her hoof on a page that contained an image of a trio of unicorns.

How do “The Three Unihorns” sound?
I bet they’d be fun to have around

“It’s not quite what I had in mind, though, Miss De Lis.” Dusk Shine replied.

He flipped to another page. This one had a picture of a zebra duo. A male zebra held a saxophone in his hooves while a female stood in front of a microphone.

Known throughout all of Equestria
Approved of by Princess Celestia
It says here that they call themselves the…

“Black Ivory.” The DJ answered for her.

“So, they’re quite popular?” Dusk Shine asked.

“Oh yes.” The DJ responded. “Incredibly popular.”

Dusk Shine turned to Fleur De Lis, whose smile had gotten much larger.

I think we should book them now
And now you see how
The proper mare to help you out
Is me.

Another Royal Note was written and levitated to the DJ. Dusk Shine and Fleur De Lis looked at one another. He looked into her pink eyes again and noticed how her eyelids narrowed slightly. Dusk Shine gulped nervously and led the two of them out of the store.

“Why Dusk Shine,” Fleur De Lis said, “I do believe you’re blushing.”

“I just… wanted to say thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

Dusk Shine reached up and scratched the back of his neck.

“If you’d like,” he continued, “Would you like to accompany me to the ball?”

Fleur De Lis placed a hoof on her chin. She looked back down and smiled at him.

I’d be honored to
Go to the Ball with you
And I can’t wait to see
How we’ll look together
You with a proper mare like me

Dusk Shine smiled. For a moment, neither of them moved. In the distance, a few more ponies turned their attention to the blushing prince and the model.

“Well, I need to get back to the castle to help put up some of these decorations. I’ll call on you tomorrow?”

Fleur De Lis smiled and nodded once more, allowing Dusk Shine to take his leave. She watched as he moved down the street back towards the castle. He turned a street corner and was gone. When she was sure he was away, she turned around and made her way towards an alleyway.

Yes, I’m the proper mare
And soon, everypony shall see.

As she turned down the alleyway, she could hear the sound of pigeons as their cooing echoed against the walls. She looked up and saw a brown pegasus perched on the stairwell’s railing.

“Ugh,” Fleur De Lis said, “can you please not do that, Big Shot?”

Big Shot smirked and fluttered down from the railing. His golden mane was mostly kept under a newscolt hat, but tufts of it still flowed down.

“How did the audition go?”

Fleur De Lis groaned.

“Fortunately, my natural talent helped me get the part.” Fleur De Lis shook her head. “But the more time that passes, the more ponies stop seeing me associated with Fancy Pants.”

Big Shot raised a hoof to his muzzle and peered into it. He kept his hooves unusually shiny for a stallion.

“Aw, what a shame.” Big Shot replied in mock apology.

“Did you get the pictures?”

“Of course I did,” he replied, “Nice job at pretending to fall on him during the chariot ride.”

“I’m sure that picture will sell just fine. All I need to do is show up at the Ball with my little prince in tow, and then we both win.”

A large smile appeared on Big Shot’s face.

“I get my money selling the pictures, and more commissions.”

“And I find a way back to the top, just in time for Fashion Week.”

“Miss De Lis,” Big Shot tipped his hat in her direction and he prepared to fly off, “always a pleasure doing business.”

Fleur De Lis watched as Big Shot took off into the late morning sky. She stayed in the alleyway for a few minutes before trotting back out into the street.