• Published 8th Jan 2014
  • 8,750 Views, 149 Comments

Bluebelle of the Ball, The Musical - mr lovecolt



Prince Dusk Shine is tasked with making sure that Princess Bluebelle's Birthday Ball goes well.

  • ...
14
 149
 8,750

Act 1 Scene 2: You Are My Friend

Author's Note:

The tune of "I Dreamed A Dream" is property of Claude-Michel Schönberg, no copyright intended. However, the lyrics are my own parody. The song is I Dreamed A Dream from "Les Miserables"

Princess Bluebelle was brushing her mane as she looked out the window to watch Princess Celestia complete the sunrise. She smiled and nodded her head as she turned away from the morning and to her vanity, where she continued to brush. “Ninety-seven, ninety-eight, ninety-nine, one hundred,” She counted and then levitated the brush to the side, “Perfect.” As Princess Bluebelle looked over her mane once more, she looked down at a photograph next to the vanity mirror. The stallion in the photograph stared directly into the camera, his sky blue eyes piercing into the viewer’s. His curled black locks cascaded down to his shoulders, contrasting with his snow white fur. The mare, on the other hoof, looked off to the side, as though something had caught her attention just as the camera flashed. The mare had blonde hair the color of the sun and was tied back into a ponytail. In between them was a filly with a blonde mane and white fur. Her smile was crooked, as though she was just learning how to smile. Princess Bluebelle looked at the stallion’s cutie mark and then turned to look at her own matching cutie mark.

“Good morning, mother,” Princess Bluebelle whispered, “Good morning, daddy.” Princess Bluebelle looked down at the brush that she had set down. She reached up and moved the brush so that it was parallel with the side of the vanity. She sighed and then turned to the door. Before leaving, she turned back and looked over the room one more time. Something else had caught her attention. She trotted over to her bed and levitated the pillow a quarter inch to the left. Satisfied with her work, she turned and finally left her bedroom. She used her magic to open the bedroom door.

The room that Princess Bluebelle had taken to calling “The Wind Room” was sparse; the only additions to the room were a large map of Equestria on the west wall. The morning sun lit it up perfectly. A small table sat next to the map, and a golden bowl of silver pins had been placed on it. In the middle of the room was an ivory pillar that held a glass dome. Eight small crystals hovered in the air and surrounded the dome. Princess Bluebelle trotted over to the pillar and used her magic to levitate one of the crystals over the dome.

“Zephyrus, spirit of the western wind, I call you forth. Come forward, and perform your duties to the earth.”

Princess Bluebelle let go of the crystal, but it remained balanced on top of the dome. The dome glowed for a moment before it began to fill with blue smoke. The ghostly image of a handsome stallion appeared, his brown mane curled down his dark red fur. Though his eyes were entirely black, Princess Bluebelle knew that he was looking at her. When she had first been introduced to the Anemoi, the blackness of their eyes had startled her, but now, the eight spirits of the wind were always a welcome sight.

“Your Highness, Princess of the Winds,” a deep voice whispered through the dome, “How am I needed today?”

Princess Bluebelle smiled and turned to the map, using her magic to levitate the silver pins to different places on the map.

“Her Majesty, Princess Celestia, has received word that the ponies in Seaddle haven’t escaped the winter as of yet. I ask you to speak to Boreas in regards to that. I know he enjoys his winter wind, but spring must begin for them as soon as possible. It is March, it is time for your wind to take over.”

“Understood, Your Highness.”

Princess Bluebelle levitated numerous silver pins and attached them to the coastlines of Manehatten, Fillydelphia, and Baltimare. “Furthermore,” Princess Bluebelle continued, “The trade winds to Zebrica have been unmanageable as of late. We need to be able to send our ponytarian ships to Mareocco.”

“I will send word to Lips to ensure that the sailor’s winds are favorable.”

“Very good.” Princess Bluebelle replied as she began to levitate another pin towards Appleloosa.

“Wait,” Zephyrus said, “You said it was March?”

Princess Bluebelle froze for a moment. She knew what was coming.

“Yes, it is.”

“Forgive me, Your Highness,” Zephyrus continued, “But isn’t your birthday soon?”

“It is tomorrow, to be exact.”

“Oh, to be a mortal and celebrate such things,” Zephyrus chuckled, “Time tends to lose meaning for us. What can seem like a day can be a year. It seems like yesterday that you became the Emissary of Aeolus after-”

“Yes,” Princess Bluebelle cut him off as she placed a pin at the center of Appleloosa, “We were all fortunate that Aunt Celestia was able to handle the task until I became of age last year. Now if you could also speak with Eurus about bringing the rain winds to-”

“Will Her Majesty try to throw you another birthday ball?”

“Most likely,” Princess Bluebelle said through gritted teeth.

“I’m sure she won’t do what she did last year.”

“Let’s hope not.” She said. “Now, about the situation in Appleloosa…”

“Forgive me for saying this, Your Highness, but shouldn’t you be speaking with Boreas, Lips, and Eurus, as well?”

“I am going to,” Princess Bluebelle replied, “It’s just that sometimes I need a little bit of a push from one of you to make the others work. You’re the wind that I trust the most.”

“An honor, certainly,” Zephyrus replied, “And I will make sure that they listen to you. You know, you’re about the same age as your mother when she met-”

“Don’t.” Princess Bluebelle stopped him.

“Your Highness,” Zephyrus continued, “It was eight years ago. And need I remind you that you will have to bring an heir to serve as Emissary of Aeolus someday.”

The silver pins Princess Bluebelle had been levitating dropped to the floor, resulting in the sound of metal clanging on the tiles. She laughed and then turned to the dome.

“Oh really?” she asked. “And what, I’ll just trot through the halls and stumble into some new recruit and we’ll fall in love at first sight?”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Your Highness.”

Princess Bluebelle rose up on her hind legs and crossed her forelegs to the side of her face and batted her eyes.

“Or maybe I’ll find some servant in the castle with a heart of gold and a determined outlook on life.”

“Your Highness, please.”

Princess Bluebelle galloped to the window facing the sun and pointed to the streets.

“Or maybe, just maybe, there’s a commoner out there who won’t take a look at me and see nothing but a crown.”

“Wait,” Zephyrus said, “You still use the word commoner?”

Princess Bluebelle reached up and rubbed her temples.

“They are common, Zephyrus,” she replied, “They are all the same. I’ve been a princess my whole life, and I know how ponies look at me. Their only thought is how they can use me to lift themselves up the social ladder.”

“What about your friends?” Zephyrus asked.

Princess Bluebelle huffed and turned back to the windows for a moment. Even this early in the morning, she could see a few ponies already out and about. A mare and stallion cantered through the streets. A small group of foals gathered in the nearby park. Princess Bluebelle shook her head and made her way back to the dome and caressed the crystals that surrounded it.

You are my friend, I need no more
I need not the ponies who walk beneath me
You’re all the friend I’m looking for
To the others, a means to an end is all they’ll see

Princess Bluebelle turned to the window once more and stared down at the ponies below.

You are my friend
Nopony else

She turned back to the ghostly image of Zephyrus, who cocked his head to the side as she made her way back to him.

Friend, in the end, is what you are
You’re somepony who guides and listens
Those social-ladder climbing mares
And those insufferable stallions

I’ve seen their actions with my eyes
And I’m sure what truths are in their heart
So it should come as no surprise
That I have chosen not to take part

Bluebelle stared directly into the dome. She knew that Zephyrus was staring back at her with those black eyes. His face was unreadable. Finally, he called out to Princess her through the dome.

But must you never learn to trust
That ponies there could be trustworthy
You cannot solely rest on us
You still have your duties, Emissary

She shook her head.

I have no reason to believe
That what you say will one day come true
Why must I risk my heart to grieve
Why can I not stay here with you

Princess Bluebelle turned away from the dome, but Zephyrus still called out.

Open your heart, hear what I say
You don’t have to remain alone here
Why can’t you let this be the day
That you can let somepony in there

Princess Bluebelle’s aura surrounded the crystal that was still balanced on top of the dome. “Thank you for your assistance.” Princess Bluebelle said.

“I serve the Princess of the Winds.” Princess Bluebelle levitated the crystal away from the dome. Zephyrus’s form wavered for a moment, and the dome once again filled with blue smoke. The next moment, Zephyrus was gone. Princess Bluebelle levitated the crystal to her outstretched hoof. She held it as she looked at the other crystals.

You are my friend, I need no more
The ponies there will only use me
I will not break, my heart won’t bend
For, in the end, you are my friend

Princess Bluebelle placed the crystal back into place with the others. She levitated another crystal into the air but then jumped when she heard the sound of a door knocking. Her telekinetic grasp faltered for a moment and the crystal began to fall. “No!” She screamed and reached out with her hooves to grab the crystal. The crystal bounced off of her hoof and she clamored to grasp it with her other hoof. She finally managed to keep it in her grasp this time. She breathed a sigh of relief and set it back onto the pillar, turned around, and left the room. As she trotted to the door, she began to seethe. How dare somepony interrupt me while I’m working, she thought as her aura surrounded the door. “How dare you interrupt-”

Princess Bluebelle began to shout, only to realize that it was Prince Dusk Shine on the other side of the door. His lavender eyes stared at her for a moment but then darted away. “What do you want, Dusk?” Princess Bluebelle asked, knowing that royalty had no need to refer to one another by title.

“It’s good to see you, too, Bluebelle.” Prince Dusk Shine replied. “May I come in?”

Princess Bluebelle nodded and turned away. Prince Dusk Shine entered the room and trotted to the overstuffed chair against the wall. The main suite was much more heavily decorated than the other rooms in Princess Bluebelle’s suite.

“I’ve never been in here before,” Prince Dusk Shine said, “This furniture is beautiful. Did you have it flown in from the Griffon Kingdom?”

“Of course not,” Princess Bluebelle replied as she sat down on the sofa, “There’s a griffon upholsterer who lives in Canterlot.”

“I see.” Prince Dusk Shine said as he rubbed his fore hooves together. “The woodwork on the tables is flawless, too.”

Princess Bluebelle looked for a moment at the door to The Wind Room. She turned back only to see that Dusk Shine was looking everywhere in the room except at her. “So, did you decide to come for a visit to see my taste in furniture?” Dusk Shine finally turned his attention to her, but then he reached up to rub his temples.

“No,” he replied, “I was studying in the library when a guard delivered a letter to me.”

“And this concerns me why, exactly?”

“The letter was from your aunt.”

“Okay.” Princess Bluebelle replied, still not seeing the connection.

“It was about the plans for your birthday.”

“I see.”

“You see, Celestia doesn’t want another repeat of last year,” Prince Dusk Shine continued, “So she wants you to see how the preparations are coming along.”

“And why would this concern you?” Princess Bluebelle asked.

“Celestia wants me to help in case you don’t like what she has and, I’m only guessing at this, but she knows that I can be rather organized when it comes to last minute emergencies.”

Bluebelle had to use all of her willpower not to roll her eyes at the last statement. She had heard through the rumor mills of some of the disasters Prince Dusk Shine had wrought on Ponyville during his residency there. In fact, many stories had travelled up to the castle of his exploits with his friends. The memory of a certain white unicorn flashed in her mind, and she had to contain a grimace. Well, Bluebelle thought, he’s not in Ponyville anymore. He’s going to learn rather quickly that the ponies here are going to treat him rather differently. “Well, that is all good,” She replied as she stood up, “But for now, I still have work to do. I have to speak with the winds today, and-”

“So you actually get to speak with the Anemoi?” Prince Dusk Shine said too loudly for Bluebelle’s comfort. “You actually speak with the spirits of the wind?”

“Of course,” she stated matter-of-factly, “How else would I get them to do what I ask?”

“That is so fascinating,” he replied, “I was just finishing up some light reading on the ancient Poneric epic of Odysseus and they mentioned one of the wind spirits in them, but I always thought they were simply personifications and that you worked with the winds as a magical ability.” Dusk Shine leapt out of his chair, which increased Bluebelle’s discomfort even more. He began pacing in front of the chair. “To think, the wind spirits are actual, beings.” He said to himself, “Are they ponies, too? Do they have personalities? I would love, just love, to meet one.”

Dusk Shine turned to Bluebelle with a large smile on his face. There are those lavender eyes again, she thought, though for a moment, she swore that she saw stars in them. His smile widened even further, and his eyes began to glisten pleadingly. Oh no, she thought, he is going to want to meet them. She was prepared to order him out of her suite, but something caught her eye. She could only see curiosity in his gaze; he was genuinely interested in meeting the wind spirits. She couldn’t tell if his child-like gaze was naïve or not, but it was a gaze that she was unused to. Bluebelle thought for a moment before closing her eyes and sighing, fearing that she would regret what she was about to say.

“Would you like to meet one of them?” The excited whinny that escaped from Dusk Shine’s muzzle was the second most surprising thing he did in Bluebelle’s mind. The most surprising thing happened right after that, when she saw his horn light up and a scroll and ink well appeared in midair. And there’s the regret, She thought as she used her magic to envelop Dusk Shine, who was in mid-hop. The scroll and inkwell disappeared in a flash of light.

“Aww.” He said dejectedly.

“Dusk, listen,” Bluebelle said, “You are to simply sit in the corner of the room. You are not to touch anything. You are not to say anything. Do I make myself crystal clear?” Dusk Shine nodded and Bluebelle turned to The Wind Room, still carrying him in her aura. She sat him down roughly on the tiles of the room and watched as he looked over at the map, then the table, and finally to the pillar. His eyes widened, but he remained silent. Bluebelle went to the center of the room and levitated the crystal she had been handling before the interruption. She turned back to Dusk Shine. “Before I bring Boreas forth, you need to know something about him.”

“What?” he replied.

“Boreas can be a bit to handle at first.” She continued. “He gets distracted a bit easily, and can be a bit… random.”

“I’m friends with Bubble Berry,” he replied, “I think I can deal with random.”

Bluebelle set the crystal on top of the dome. “Boreas, spirit of the northern wind, I call you forth. Come forward, and perform your duties to the earth.”

The dome was filled with white smoke, and a bright blue pony with a white mane appeared. Bluebelle shook her head when she realized that he wasn’t aware that he had been called forth. He spun around in circles while snowflakes danced around him. He was laughing and then he stuck out his tongue to catch one of the snowflakes in his mouth, only to look into her eyes through the dome.

“Hewwo, Pwintheth.” He said with his tongue still sticking out.

Bluebelle simply arched an eyebrow at him, and he looked down at his tongue. He quickly stuck his tongue back into his mouth and coughed.

“I mean, Your Highness, Princess of the Winds, how am I needed today?” He said in a rote manner.

“I can see you’re having fun.” She answered. “Has Zephyrus paid you a visit today?”

Boreas’s legs began to move, but though he remained in the same place, Bluebelle knew it was simply a trick of the glass dome. He was walking somewhere. He finally approached a snowpony and started putting snow on top of it to work on a mane. He then placed a top hat on it.

“Why no, I can’t say that he has.”

Bluebelle looked in between Boreas and the snowpony. She chuckled to herself.

“Boreas, you know Zephyrus hates that.”

Boreas placed a hoof on his chin.

“You know what? You’re right.” Boreas said as he continued to pile more snow on the snowpony.

“I’m serious, Boreas. Let him out.”

“You’re always serious, Princess.” He replied, only to look into Bluebelle’s eyes. “Ugh… fine.”

Boreas waved his hooves in the air and the snowpony melted to reveal Zephyrus. Zephyrus glared at Boreas and then a devious smile appeared on his face.

“Winter wrap up winter wrap up!” Zephyrus sang at the top of his lungs.

“Stop!” Boreas shouted. “I hate that song!”

“Let’s finish our holiday cheer!”

“Boys!” Bluebelle shouted.

She heard Dusk Shine snicker behind her. She turned around and glared at him, and his snickering stopped. She turned back to the two wind spirits. This was not how she wanted her job to be perceived. Yes, the wind spirits were her closest friends, but sometimes she felt like she was their mother, as well. As the Emissary of Aeolus, the King of the Winds, it was true in a way.

“Boreas,” Bluebelle asked, “Do you know why you were called?”

“Who’s the purple cutie in the corner?”

She blushed and turned around to Dusk Shine, whose eyes went wide.

“Boreas, Zephyrus, this is the newest royal member of Equestria, Prince Dusk Shine, Prince of Magic.”

Dusk Shine stood up and bowed slightly to the glass dome. “It is an honor to be in your presence.” Bluebelle watched as Boreas’s smile grew.

“Well, if you consider it an honor to meet like this, you can always come up here.” Boreas grinned maniacally, “I’m a lot bigger face to face.” Bluebelle saw Zephyrus’s eyes shift back and forth in between her and Dusk Shine. A smile crept on his face and he reached a hoof to smack Boreas in the back of the head. “Ow!” Boreas shouted, “Princess, Zephyrus hit me!”

“That is no way to speak to the Princess’s new friend.” Zephyrus replied.

Boreas looked to Prince Dusk Shine, and then to Bluebelle. A smile appeared on his face as well. “Oh my stars,” Boreas giggled, “This is so exciting!” Bluebelle was about to tell Boreas and Zephyrus off and say that he was not her friend, but her mind went back to the innocent way he looked at her. She knew he didn’t do anything to deserve any more humiliation.

“Boreas,” Bluebelle said, “You have to retreat from the Seaddle area. They are already a week behind on the Spring schedule. Zephyrus has tasks to perform in the area.”

Boreas considered what she said for a moment. She watched as Zephyrus trotted to Boreas and whispered into his ear. Boreas looked at Prince Dusk shine again and squeaked with delight for a moment. He cleared his throat and looked into Bluebelle’s eyes.

“Oh Princess, Your Highness,” Boreas said dramatically, “I now see the error of my ways. You are so wise and just.”

Zephyrus nudged Boreas’s side.

“And… beautiful!” He shouted. “Your beautiful fur rivals that of a pure white snow. Your mane rivals the untamed beauty of the summer sun!" Both Zephyrus and Bluebelle face hoofed. I can’t believe they’re doing this, she thought.

“Now, if you two will excuse me,” she said, “I still need to meet with Lips and Eurus.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Zephyrus replied and then he turned to Dusk Shine. “And it was a pleasure to meet you, Prince Dusk Shine.”

Dusk Shine waved awkwardly at the two wind spirits. Bluebelle levitated the crystal from the dome and the two wind spirits disappeared in a puff of white smoke.

“So,” Dusk Shine said, “Boreas is… energetic.”

“Yes,” Bluebelle replied as she set the stone back in place, “Let’s go with that. Still, they’re my friends.”

“And what are your friends in Canterlot like?” Prince Dusk Shine asked.

“You’re going to learn very quickly,” Bluebelle said as she turned to him, “that the ponies of Canterlot are quite different from those ponies you know in the hamlet of Ponyville.”

“I can make friends here, too, you know.” He replied. “Learning about friendship is kind of my thing.”

Bluebelle looked at Dusk Shine. His eyes had the same look as before. He has to just be naïve, she thought. She was about to tell him off again, but then she realized that she didn’t need to do anything to erase that look from his eyes. All she had to do was introduce him to the citizens of Canterlot and that look would go away on its own.

“Thank you so much for letting me meet an Anemoi,” Dusk Shine said, “even though it was a bit awkward.”

“Well what can you expect?” Bluebelle asked. “Being an immortal being makes one stop caring about social standards and cultural norms.”

“Bluebelle,” he said, “I promise that I will help make this your best birthday.

“Why does it matter to you so much?"

Dusk Shine smiled. “Because I’ve learned something today.” He said. “I want you to know that’s what friends do.”

Dusk Shine bowed his head and trotted out of the room, leaving behind a shocked Bluebelle. She shook her head and turned back to the dome. A small wave of magic left her horn and echoed off of the crystals.

I will not break, my heart won’t bend
For, in the end, you are my friend