• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 5,243 Views, 172 Comments

Regicide Squares - Shakespearicles



What do you do when the world is convinced that you've assassinated Princess Celestia?

  • ...
53
 172
 5,243

Sororal Vengence

Being hastily teleported by Twilight Sparkle always left Rainbow Dash temporarily blinded by the light. The spots in Rainbow's eyes faded slowly, replaced instead with the spots of a fur pattern. A leopard! She'd read about the carnivores in Daring Do. The cyan mare jumped at the startling realization, tripping into Twilight beside her.

"Twilight! Look out!" Dash yelled, still half blind. "It's a jungle cat!" Twilight tried to calm her panicked friend.

"Rainbow! It's okay. Look!" She said. Dash slowed down and looked around them. They hadn't actually landed on top of a leopard, but rather, a leopard print bedspread. "We're in Zecora's hut." Twilight filled her in.

"What are we doing here?" She asked.

"It's the last place they'd look for us." Twilight said. "We should be safe here until we can figure out what to do next."

"Which is?" Dash asked impatiently. Twilight thought for a moment.

"We need to go to my library in Ponyville." She said at last.

"What!? Are you crazy? That place is going to be swarming with guards!" Dash said, incredulously.

"Right now it is. Which is why we're going to wait until tonight." She said.

"But, but why?" She asked.

"Evidence vital to clearing out names is there. We have to get it. Or else we'll be on the run for the rest of our lives." Twilight explained.

"So what do we do until then?"

"We just stay here and lay low."

"Actually, I have a better idea." Dash said, taking Twilight's hoof and leading her outside.
________________________________________________________________________

In mid air, Twilight struggled to maintain her height off the ground. "You gotta really flap 'em hard!" Rainbow Dash instructed beside her. Twilight gave a quick burst of energy, flapping her wings wildly, as fast and as hard as she could. But the more effort she put into sheer flapping, the more she lost her focus on control and balance.

Before she even had time to react, Twilight spun out of control and crashed into a nearby tree. "Ooh, maybe not quite that hard." Dash consoled her. It was bizarre trying to teach how to fly to another pony. It was an act that came so naturally to her. It was like trying to teach a foal to walk. It took every ounce of her strength to keep from shouting 'just do it'!

After another failed attempt, Twilight careens into the ground, leaving a pony-shaped dent in the soft earth. "I just don't know what went wrong." She lamented. Even Rainbow Dash was perplexed.

"I don't get it." She mused. "Your form isn't great, but it should be good enough to at least keep you aloft." Twilight frowned. "Is it your wings?" She asked.

Twilight looked at her strangely. "Well, they are sore."

"I'm just asking because they aren't exactly... natural." She said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's just that I know about Pegasus wings." Dash explained. "I don't know if alicorn wings work differently or what. Magic isn't exactly my thing. We could ask Zecora when she gets back." She suggested. "Which should be soon since it's starting to get dark. And I don't think anypony would want to be out in the Everfree at night. Not even her." The two headed back inside Zecora's hut.

"I just don't know what else it could be." Dash continued once they were inside. "Let me look at your wings." She suggested. Twilight settled on the leopard print bed and splayed her wings out. "WHOA!"

"What? What is it!?" Twilight asked nervously.

"Twi, when was the last time you preened these things?" Dash asked, astonished.

"Preened?" Twi asked ignorantly.

"Yeah Twi! You've had these wings for over two months now. You have to preen them or else, well, look!" Dash said, pointing at all the misaligned and broken feathers. "You see? You have to preen out these old feathers so that new healthy ones can grow in and replace them. It's a huge part of maintaining healthy wings!"

"I- I didn't know." Twi said. "Princess Celestia never explained that stuff to me." She said, somewhat embarrassed that she hadn't researched such a thing herself.

"Well, it's not really something you would have to read about." Dash explained. "Pegasi just sort of... know. It's one of those things that mothers teach their foals. But since your mother wasn't a Pegasus... OH MY GOSH!"

"What? What is it now!" Twi asked again.

"I think I just figured out why Scootaloo can't fly well either." Dash said, smacking herself on the forehead.

"Oh, right, the whole orphan thing." Twi said.

"But anyways, once you preen your wings, it should be a lot easier for you to fly." Dash said. "So while you do that, I'll be in the other room." She said, about to get up and leave her to the task.

"Wait, Dash?"

"Hmm?"

"Could you show me how?" Twi asked. Rainbow Dash blushed intensely. Did she really just ask her to..? No, of course not. She just didn't understand. But she wasn't raised as a Pegasus. How could she possibly know what she was accidentally implying. But Rainbow Dash understood perfectly well.

In Pegasus society, preening was an incredibly intimate act. It was taught by parent to foal Pegasus, and then done in private from then on. Preening together was an act reserved for intimate lovers. But Twilight didn't know that. How could she? She was just an innocent filly with new wings. She knew no more about it than a newborn foal Pegasus just learning to fly. And somepony had to teach her...

"Um... okay. Here I'll show you." Dash said, trying to hide her nervousness. She opened her wing wide toward Twilight to show her. Dash preened very regularly. She had to in order to stay in top flying condition. Her feathers were flawless. But Dash went through the motions slowly as Twilight watched.

"Okay, now watch. You go to each feather with your mouth and give it a little tug. If it comes out, a new one will grow in. If it doesn't, then it's still good." Dash explained, quickly pretending to preen before putting her wings away. That wasn't so bad. She watched Twilight try. She bit one of her own purple feathers and pulled it out.

"OW!" She yelped as it came free. A tiny drop of blood formed at the site of the removal. Dash cringed.

"Um, Twi? I think that one was still good. Try again." She coached. Twilight moved down the line, testing a few more.

"OUCH!" She cried again, having pulled too hard on another good feather. She huffed. There were still dozens upon dozens more to go and she'd already hurt herself twice. And the weird angle was making her neck hurt. "Rainbow, can you do it for me?" Rainbow Dash's jaw nearly hit the floor. There was no way she could do that with her friend. Even mothers didn't do that to their foals. It just wasn't done. It was as though Twilight had just asked her to join her in the shower.

"Uhh, I don't think so Twilight. I- I really think you should just keep practicing." Dash said, trying to defuse things.

"Please?" Twilight pleaded. "My neck hurts and I don't want to do it wrong when I'll need them the most tonight." Her purple eyes looked back at Rainbow behind her.

She doesn't understand. Dash kept mentally repeating to herself. It won't mean anything. And she did look like she was in a lot of distress. And her wings did need a lot of work.

"Um... okay." Dash resigned. "But just this once." Twilight faced forward and rested her head on the pillow, spreading her tired wings out. Rainbow Dash carefully crawled up beside her and ever so gently began to preen one of her purple wings. She focused on the clinical, mechanical nature of the act, trying her best to keep her emotions out of the equation. Twilight wasn't making it easy for her. The first wing went smoothly enough. But as Dash leaned across her back to start the other wing, She felt her own wings growing stiff.

Twilight hadn't realized how uncomfortable her wings had become. As Dash cleaned out all the errant feathers, it was like scratching an itch she didn't even realize she had. It felt wonderful. Rainbow on top of her felt so warm on her back. She just felt... safe, under the pony's embrace. She knew that her friend would never let anything bad happen to her as long as she could prevent it. She was such a good friend.

Her good friend was making her feel sooo good...

Dash could feel Twilight's wings growing involuntarily tense. She knew what it meant. And she knew she should stop because of it. Because a pony's wings were actually a sensitive erogenous zone. Under her, Twilight muffled a moan. Dash could tell that Twi was certainly enjoying it. And, as much as Dash was trying not to admit it...

She was too.

In those hoofull of minutes together, they'd forgotten all about their problems, their worries...

"Do I spy with my little eye,"

...their location.

"a pair of preening pegasi?" Zecora asked.

Dashed jumped up at the voice. She struggled to get her own wings under control. Twilight jumped off the bed as well. She regreted that Zecora had to find her, well, them on it when she came home from what looked to be collecting mushrooms.

"Zecora! You're home!" Twilight said happily. Her wings were embarrassingly stiff, but she was oblivious to it. Rainbow was embarrassed enough for both of them. "Sorry that we let ourselves in, but we needed to hide for a while. It's uh... kind of a long story."

"My home is open to any Equestrian. But I never knew you were a le-"

"Actually" Rainbow Dash cut Zecora off, "We were just about to get going ourselves. We have a... thing to get to. Tonight. Right Twilight?"

"Oh, that's right." Twilight remembered. "We do have to get going." As the sky grew darker. Rainbow Dash took off into the air. Twilight flapped her own wings. It didn't make sense, with less feathers. But it really felt a lot easier. Her climb in altitude was smoother. Before she knew it she was right beside Rainbow.

"See? What'd I tell ya?" Dash said smugly.

"Thanks Dash." She said. "Come on, we need to get to Ponyville."
________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________

"How does it look down there?" Twilight whispered. She was crouched beside Dash on a high cirrus cloud. Below them was the Golden Oaks Library, Twilight's residence. Or former residence. Above it were a couple of cumulus clouds, each stationed by a Pegasus guard.

"I see two Pegasus guards above it. I won't know how many are inside until we can get closer." Dash reported.

"And just how are we going to do that?" Twilight asked.

"We need to take out the guards. But I can't get both without one of them raising the alarm. I need you to get the other."

"But how? I don't know anything about this sort of stuff."

"Put your hoof on your neck." Dash instructed. Twilight didn't know what she was getting at but did as was told. She put her hoof to her throat. "Okay, you feel the wide windpipe in the front? That's the handle. Beside it is a smaller tube. It's the carotid artery. That's the button. You wrap your hoof around their neck, grab the handle and push the button."

"Gh- agh aughck!"

"Let go of your neck Twilight."
_________________________

"Okay. On three." Dash mouthed silently. "One, two-"

The pair leaped from the cloud in perfect synchronization. Grab the handle. Push the button. Twilight recited in her mind as she plummeted. In an instant, they were both upon their respective targets. Before either of the weary guards had a second to react, Dash had already subdued hers. Twilight struggled for a moment. She had the element of surprise and the impact from her fall working for her. He tried to shake her loose, but she kept pressing the button until he fell unconscious.

Twilight felt him fall asleep under her. After a second, Dash was at her side. "Good, now give his head a quick twist."

"What will that do?" She asked nervously.

"It'll... make him sleep longer?" Dash offered the naive unicorn.

"We don't need long. Come on!" Twi said as she flew down to her balcony window. She looked around inside. "We might be in luck. I don't see anypony inside."

"If the plan is going well, it's probably an ambush." Dash muttered to herself. Twilight slowly opened the window as they silently slipped inside. Twilight was nearly in tears. Her entire home had been ripped apart and turned upside down. The guards had completely ransacked the place looking for clues to her whereabouts.

"My home..." She whimpered. Dash put her hoof around her and pulled her close.

"It's going to be okay." She lied. "We're gonna come back after we sort this out and... sort this out. Together." She looked in her eyes. There was something there in those eyes that she hadn't seen before. Whatever it was, it made her really want to believe that everything really was going to be okay. Their faces were mere inches apart. She leaned in closer, pursing her lips slightly...

"Spike!" Twilight said, suddenly shaken from her daze."He would have it!"

"Um, what?" Dash asked, still in la-la land.

"He would have the evidence we need. Where is he? SPIKE!" Twilight ran around, checking down in her basement, up in her loft at his bed.

"Twi! He's not here. Why would he be?" Dash said. "The place is a disaster."

"Where would he have gone!?" Twi asked. The ground began to shake. The whole tree shuddered as the top half began to be ripped away. Splinters cracked and timber tumbled as a blue aura engulfed the ceiling and it tore away into the sky. Above them the moon shown brightly into the dim room. A shadowy face crept across it.

"I SEE YOU!"

Twilight and Dash bolted out of the front door. She felt the tingling sensation run down her spine.

"Dammit! How could I have been so foolish!" She yelled as the pair sprinted through the alleys of Ponyville.

"What?"

"There was a warding spell on the library to signal if anypony entered it!" She yelled. "Why didn't I check!?" She glanced over her shoulder. A shooting star was streaking across the sky. It would be upon them in seconds. She looked where she was going just in time to crash into the Carousel Boutique. She tumbled inside, with Dash right behind her. Rarity came running downstairs.

"What in pony's name is going on- Twilight? Dashie?"

BOOM!

The impact of Luna's arrival outside was seismic. In an act of quick thinking, Twilight slammed Rarity with a spell that could only be done with another unicorn, linking their horns, and thus, their minds. The world around them slowed to a halt.

Rarity, what happened? Where is Spike?

Darling! Are you okay? I saw the posters all over the town! Is it true? Say it isn't so!

It isn't so! It's all a big misunderstanding! I need to talk to Spike.

Spike?

He has the evidence I need to clear our names.

I'm so sorry! He was questioned along with the rest of us. But without you to look over him, he was taken into custody to the castle.

Okay. Hold on.

The entire conversation took place in a mere fillysecond. As the spell released, the world spun up to normal speed around them. It never really slowed down. The spell just let the pair think very quickly for an instant.

The door, and a sizable section of the wall around it was torn away from the structure. An imposing figure stepped into the gap. Her armor gleamed in the moonlight. Twilight scooted away backwards. Alicorn herself or not, she didn't have the skill or even the raw power to go hoof to hoof with a veteran Alicorn like Princess Luna.

Twilight charged up her horn.