• Published 4th Apr 2012
  • 15,031 Views, 598 Comments

Halo: Equestria - Man Of War



A UNSC ship appears in the skies of Equestria with the Covenant hot on their heels.

  • ...
48
 598
 15,031

2. We're off to see the Princesses

2. We’re off to see the Princesses
“So, let me get this straight.” said Twilight. “You were walking along the edge of the Everfree Forest looking for ingredients for your herbal tea when you came across a group of strange creatures kneeling and laying down looking into town. Have I got it right so far?”

Fluttershy nods and replies with a quiet “Yes.”

“Ok, then all of a sudden a Manticore attacks the group. You see it hit one of the creatures and pieces of a sort of odd looking saddle bag came flying at you, you ducked and kept low. So, in turn that means that you didn’t see them scare off the Manticore with those big noise makers you said they had?” Twilight asked.

“No.” replied Fluttershy, “but they were really loud, it was almost like some of the really big fireworks Pinkie has for parties.”

“Huh… then when you saw that the one that the Manticore hit was badly injured you were able to overcome your fear and offered your assistance. You then led them to your cottage where you treated the hurt creature’s wounds. Then you started getting nervous again when you realized that you had a bunch of potentially dangerous creatures in your house, but they insisted they were friendly.”

Twilight paused and looked over to Fluttershy from where she had been pacing back and forth across the library. Fluttershy nodded Twilight on.

“And they were indeed friendly, especially the one that appeared to be their leader, who soon started trying to explain the situation of why they were here to begin with and said that they are a species known as Humans. He asked if there were any scientists around, you said not exactly, but you told them about me and that I may be able to help them in some way. He then said they would be back an hour and a half later to meet me after taking their wounded companion back to their main ship that is now orbiting the planet in space.”

Fluttershy nodded and said “Yes, that’s what happened.”

“I see…” said Twilight thoughtfully rubbing her chin with a hoof. “Well, I guess if we are supposed to meet them we had better get moving out to that clearing.” Twilight said as she briskly trotted over to the door and opened it with her magic. Fluttershy nodded again and walked over to her friend’s side. Just before Twilight was about to close the door, she leaned back in and hollered to Spike up stairs,

“Spike? Watch the library for me while I go out for a bit, I’ll be back soon.”

“Alright.” Came the slightly muffled voice of the dragon from under his blanket.

Twilight smiled to herself and gently closed the door. She turned around and she and Fluttershy started trotting off to their meeting with these Humans.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Go, and pursue the escaped Human ship, see where it’s going and report back its location, we will be following some distance behind, as to allow you time to evade detection and get a good location reading.”

“It will be done, Fleet Master.” came the deep; gravely reply of Ship Master Lat ‘Ravamee of the Covenant ship, Truth and Reconciliation.

‘Ravamee turned away from the hologram projector where the image of the Fleet commander of the Fleet of Particular Justice had been a moment ago and said, “Make the jump, we are following that Human ship.”

“With pleasure.” Came the blood lust filled reply of the Sangheili navigator.

A rift in space-time opened up in front of the massive battlecruiser which slowly proceeded through.

“Slip space entrance complete. We are on the same exit vector the Human ship departed on and we are tracking them.” said the navigator.

“Good.” growled ‘Ravamee, “Inform me immediately if anything happens.”

“Yes, Shipmaster.” Came the reply of several Sangheili and Unggoy around the bridge.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two hours later the navigator franticly yelled out, “Shipmaster! The Human ship just accelerated, they have disappeared. We were able to track them for a split second more afterword and they were still on the same vector!”

‘Ravamee looked at the navigator with a glare that could melt a battleships titanium hull.

“If they were still on the same course when they accelerated then they will stay on the same course.” growled ‘Ravamee. “Bring the engines up to full power, stay the course, and alert me when and only when you have detected the Human ship once more.”

“Yes, Shipmaster, right away!” Came the hurried replies of all on the bridge.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

“What’s your report Petty Officer Wilson?” asked Captain Keyes.

“Sir, the planet is indeed inhabited by intelligent life. There is, however, hostile animal life in the forest that we landed in, one of which attacked us and injured our squad medic and destroyed his medical supplies. Due to this attack one of the intelligent creatures made contact with us and offered its assistance in treating the medic’s wounds. Over all, if this one creature represents the majority, I think they are friendly.” reported Luke.

“I see.” said Keyes, “and what do these creatures look like?”

“Uh, I think it would be better if I showed you instead of trying to describe them.” Luke said “you wouldn’t believe me anyway.”

Luke pulled out the set of binoculars they had used down on the surface, pulled the memory card out of them and inserted it into the holo table. The first image that popped up was that of the small town with tiny indiscernible dots all around. Luke quickly switched to the next which was a close up of the town. Keyes just stared at the picture for a few seconds before saying,

“Are those what I think those are?” asked Keyes with disbelief evident in his voice.

“Yep.” Said Luke, “And by the looks of it the town is entirely inhabited by them as far as we can tell. There are even pegasi too, look.”

Luke pointed to a couple ponies that were flying through the air on wings, one was sky blue with a prismatic mane and tail and the other had a grey coat with a golden mane and tail.

“Um, Petty Officer?… does it look like that grey one you just pointed to is holding a muffin?”

“Uh…” said Luke, looking closely at the picture, “It does doesn’t it?” Luke said with a slight chuckle, “Anyway, we asked the pony we had made contact with, whose name was Fluttershy by the way, if there was any scientists around that might be able to help us with our engine problem.” said Luke.

“Wait, so these ponies can not only talk but speak English?”

“Yes, Sir” replied Luke, “It’s weird, I know, but they do.”

“I see, what news do you have about those scientists?” asked Keyes.

“Well, there aren’t any scientists per se but Fluttershy did offer to bring an extremely smart unicorn to us in about…” Luke looked down at the holo table controls to check the time, “thirty minutes.”

“Ok, get your team together again and head back to the clearing you originally landed in and I’m sending an extra member in with your team.”

“Who?” asked Luke, confused.

“Me.” said a deep voice from behind Luke.

Luke turned around to see a massive figure clad in dark green MJOLNIR armor looming a good foot above him.

“Master Chief, Sir!” Luke said with surprise and gave him a quick salute.

“Petty Officer, Chief, meet with this unicorn and gather more info, move out.” Keyes said.

“Yes, Sir.” replied both Luke and John, who quickly saluted, turned around, and walked through the door, out of the bridge.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Uh, Fluttershy, where are they?” asked Twilight as she and Fluttershy trotted up to the edge of the empty clearing.

“Don’t worry; I’m sure they will be here in a minute.” Fluttershy said with a hint of worry in her voice.

As soon as Fluttershy had finished her sentence there was a high pitched whine from over the tree tops.
Fluttershy leaned in close to Twilights ear and shouted over the now roaring sound “This should be them”.
Twilight nodded and they both retreated a little further into the woods and covered their ears.

Soon, the giant metal, bird looking thing that Fluttershy saw earlier became visible above the clearing, and as the flying thing slowly hovered down it whipped both mare’s manes back and forth around them. The human’s ship finally touched down and the engines noise died down to a dull roar and then silence. With small hiss the back panel of the ship lowered and out stepped the Humans from earlier and a giant one that appeared to be completely incased in armor.

Twilight looked over at Fluttershy with a questioning look and jerked her head in the Human’s direction. Fluttershy nodded and started walking into the clearing with Twilight right behind her. When the Human’s noticed them they lowered their weapons and walked over to meet them.

“Hello again.” Said Fluttershy, easily overcoming her nerves because she had already met them.

“Hi.” Said Luke. “Is this the unicorn you told us about?”

“Yes, this is her.” replied Fluttershy and moved out of the way.

Twilight moved up to face what appeared to be the leader and the giant.

“My name is Twilight Sparkle, and you are?” Twilight asked with a wary voice.

“Petty Officer Luke Wilson, UNSC Navy.” replied Luke.

Twilight turned to the giant standing next to Luke with an expectant look.

“Master Chief Petty Officer, Spartan 117, UNSC Navy.” said John in his deep voice.

“Now, why exactly are you here? Fluttershy, here, has told me a little, but I just want to hear it for myself.”

Luke nodded and proceeded to tell Twilight exactly what he had told Fluttershy earlier.

After Luke finished recounting the story of how they had gotten here, Twilight stood for a second more pondering what to do before deciding.

Twilight turned to Fluttershy and said, “Go and get the others and tell them to meet us,” she gestured to all in the clearing, “at the library.”

“Alright.” replied Fluttershy quietly and galloped off back in the direction they had come.

“I think I and some other ponies can definitely be of assistance. Follow me, I think they would like to meet you.” said Twilight.

Luke nodded and ran back to the Pelican, told the pilot to go back to the ship and said that he will radio when they need to be picked up, and closed the hatch. As soon as Luke was clear the pilot took off and started to head back into the sky.
Luke nodded to Twilight and said, “Alright, let’s go.”

As the group started walking towards the direction of the town John walked up alongside Luke and asked, “Can we trust these creatures?”

“So far they appear friendly, Sir.” Luke replies.

“…”

John remained silent and continued walking.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Hey Fluttershy! Now will you please tell us why you wanted all of us to come to Twilight’s house?” asked a slightly
annoyed sky blue pegasus with a multicolored mane and tail hovering in the air. “I was in the middle of my mid-day nap!”

“Yeah, what’s up sugarcube?" asked an orange pony with a slight southern draw and wearing a brown Stetson hat.

“I wanna know! I wanna know!” shouted out a pink pony that was bouncing around the room at incredible speed.

“I must say, I am too quite intrigued by what this could all be about.” said a pure white unicorn with a curled dark purple mane and tail.

“Well, you see, what happened…” Just as Fluttershy was about to launch into the whole story of what happened, the door of the library opened again and in stepped Twilight.

“Ugh, finally you get here, I was really star….” The rainbow manned pegasus trailed off with a look of shock, as in steeped the small group of Humans that were following Twilight.

Suddenly she made a mad dash at one of them to try and protect Twilight from the intruders, only to be stopped several feet short by the orange pony that grabbed her tail in her mouth.

“Now ust old on der ainow,” she said through the tail in her mouth “You know good an well that ain’t tha way we treat
strangers ‘round these parts.” She said spitting her tail out.

“Well, I was just making sure that they were safe!” she said.

She flew up to John and stared directly into his helmet's visor.

“You hear me in there? You all are safe right?”

John gently waved her away and said, “Yes we are safe, so long as we are not threatened.”

“I think that’s enough Rainbow Dash.” said Twilight in a stern voice.

Rainbow crossed her front legs across her chest, gave John a short nod, and hovered away to be with the rest of the group.

“Girls, these are called humans they are from a distant world and for now they are stuck here until they can fix a few parts on their ship. Like he just said, they are safe.”

“And they are kind too.” said Fluttershy quietly.

Twilight nodded to Fluttershy and continued with the whole story that Fluttershy and Luke told her earlier.

“In short, they have asked for my assistance, and I think that maybe all of us will be able to offer a helping hoof in some way or another. But first I think we need to tell Princess Celestia about them.”

Twilight looked behind herself to the Humans and said, “Princess Celestia is the ruler of Equestria, which is the country where you are now.”

“I think it’s a good idea to meet her, Sir. What do you think?” Luke said to John.

“I agree,” he said, “it’s best if we meet with a person in charge as quick as possible.”

“Alright, but can we talk to our Captain about this first? It won’t take but a moment.” Luke asked.

“Sure.” replied Twilight

Luke put his hand up to his helmet covered ear and pressed a small button.

“Sir, we have a small mission goal update we feel we should investigate. The unicorn wants to take us to the leader of the country and see if she can help us as well. Do you approve?”

A minute later a slightly staticy voice came over the comms channel, “Yes, mission goal update has a green light, proceed with caution.”

Luke dropped his hand back to his side nodded to Twilight and said, “We have the go ahead, when do we head out to see, uh, Princess Celestia?” Luke asked.

Twilight responded, “Well, it’s about a half of a day’s journey to Canterlot where the Royal Castle is, so I suppose if we leave within the hour we should get there early this evening.”

“Sounds good,” said Luke “Is there any way that we can get there in somewhat secrecy? Our transport is too loud and noticeable; we don’t want to cause a panic.”

“Good Point” replied Twilight, pondering the problem for a second while rubbing the back of her neck with a hoof, “We could take the Canterlot Express out of Ponyville Station. If we take some of the back roads there we will run into less ponies and I can cast a temporary invisibility spell on your group so no pony will see any of you.”

“Alright, sounds good to us.” Luke said, turning around and seeing the rest of the team nodding.

“Ok, give the rest of us about twenty minutes to get an overnight bag together and we will be good to go.”

“Deal.” said Luke

Twilight walked over to the door and opened it for the other ponies. They each filed out of the door and off to in the direction of their respective homes. As they were galloping away Twilight called after them,

“Be back in twenty minutes! I’m serious!”

“Alright!” they each yelled back.

Twilight turned around, closed the door, and went over to her desk and picked up a quill and paper and started writing.

Dear Princes Celestia,

Fluttershy has made contact with an off world race known as Humans. They appear to be friendly. The others and I will be leading a small group of them to Canterlot to see you. I expect that you would definitely want to talk with them and see for yourself their situation. We will be coming by way of the Canterlot Express within the hour. Before we leave I will cast an invisibility spell on them to avoid a panic situation.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight walked over to the stairs, glancing at the group of Humans that were looking over the various books that lined the
walls of the library. “Spike, could you come here for a minute?” she called up stairs.

“Sure.” Came the reply of the small dragon.

Spike came slowly padding down the stairs and stopped half way down when he saw the Humans around the room.

“Don’t worry Spike, they are safe. Just come on over here.” said Twilight.

Spike looked at Twilight with a quizzical expression but continued on down the stairs to Twilights side all the while keeping one eye on the Humans.

“Spike, I need you to send this letter to Princess Celestia.”

“Alright.” said Spike, who took the rolled up piece of paper and breathed out a jet of green flame that devoured the roll of paper.

Twilight looked up to see all the Humans staring at Spike and herself.

“Dragon fire doubles as a form of mail transport.” She explained to the Humans around the room “Just watch here in a second.”

Soon, Spike gave out a large belch and another small jet of emerald green fire. When the fire cleared there was another roll of paper which Spike quickly plucked out of midair, and read it out loud,

My Faithful Student Twilight,

I think you are right about these Humans. I would like to meet them. Come directly to the Royal Castle. Keep your spell active until you are within the castle. I will inform the guards to let you in immediately. I look forward to our meeting.

Princess Celestia

“Well, there’s the plan.” said Twilight.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Soon the other ponies began filing in once again, as they came in Twilight properly introduced each pony as they entered.

The first pony back was the sky blue pegasus.

Twilight said to the group of Humans, “This is Rainbow Dash.”

“Hey,” said Dash, “Just a little info, I’m the fastest flier around here and I am the head weather control pegasus for the Ponyville district.” She turned and looked up into John’s visor and said with a guilty expression, “Heh, uh, sorry about the whole tapping on your helmet and yelling thing.”

John looked down at Rainbow and simply said, “Don’t worry about it.”

The orange country pony came in next with a pair of saddle bags strapped to her back. She didn’t even wait for Twilight to introduce her, she just walked straight up to them and said, “Hiya, sorry for tha late introduction, name’s Applejack, nice to meet ya.” Applejack said with a smile and tipped her hat. And walked over to where Rainbow Dash was hovering once again.

Next came a bright pink blur through the open door, which was babbling something about cupcakes as the last two ponies came in with exhausted looking faces. Twilight looked at the three and motioned to Fluttershy first, “Fluttershy, you all already know.” Fluttershy dipped her head low and hid behind her mane at the mention of her name. “This is Rarity,” Twilight said nodding in the direction of the pure white unicorn.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance.” she said.

“And this is Pinkie Pie” Twilight said, motioning towards the energetic pink pony that was hopping around the room once more.

Twilight looked around satisfied and said,

“Well, now that we are all here and have our bags, I guess we can get moving.”

Everypony and everyone in the room nodded and started moving out the door. Just as Twilight was about to close the door, Spike came out with a small bag for himself. Twilight gave him a quizzical look and he said,

“What? You think I’m going to miss a chance like this?”

Twilight couldn’t really argue, and besides, Spike did deserve a break from the usual mundane library work.

Twilight said with a small smile, “Its fine, you can come too.”

Twilight then closed the door after making sure all lanterns and candles were out and locked the door. She then turned around to the group of humans and said,

“Alright, I’m about to cast an invisibility spell on you. Keep in close and don’t wonder outside of the perimeter.”

They all nodded and stayed absolutely still. Twilight lowered her head to point her horn at the small group. Twilight’s horn began to glow softly as a similar purple glow surrounded the group of Humans. After another second there was a small, barely audible, pop and the glow was gone, along with the humans.

“Can you hear me in there?” Twilight asked.

“Loud and clear.” Came the reply of Luke.

“Alright,” said Twilight “Let’s move on to the train station.”

The group started to walk; It took them, at the most, about forty-five minutes to walk the less trafficked back roads to the train station. Once they arrived at the small station they saw that they were just in time to board the Canterlot Express. Twilight turned to her friends and the invisible group of humans and said, let me go talk to the ticket mare, wait by the train and be ready to get on.”

Twilight briskly trotted up to the ticket booth window and was greeted by a kind, middle aged mare who asked, “What can I do for ya, Miss Twilight?”

“I need seven tickets for the Cantermot Express please, the Princess has requested to see all of us.” She said gesturing back to herself and her six friends behind her.

“Oh, I see,” said the ticket mare, “Well, as usual, since you all are the Elements after all, and Spike is is with you all on royal business, you all get reduced prices, that will be thirty-six bits for all of you.” She said with the same kind smile.
Twilight dug around in her saddle bag with her magic and produced a small bag of coins, opened it up, and floated out the correct amount and gave it to the ticket mare, who then proceeded to give Twilight seven tickets.

As Twilight was turning around to leave the ticket mare called to her, “Have a nice trip!”

Twilight responded with a smile and a, “Thank you, and will do!”

Twilight rushed back to the group, gave Rainbow, Applejack, Pinky, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Spike their tickets and told them and the Humans to get on and go to the car at the very end of the train. They all boarded with Twilight being last on, making sure that everyone was on just before the conductor hollered “All Abooaard!” Twilight climbed on and the door slid closed behind her and joined the others in the last car, which, thankfully, they had all to themselves.

A few seconds later the engine gave out a loud whistle and started pulling out of the station on its way to Canterlot.