• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 5,511 Views, 155 Comments

Royals - Einhander



Of all the dates with all the stallions in all the world, Rarity is on a date with widower, single father and successful businesspony Filthy Rich. And guess what? He's quite the gentle-colt. But how does she feel about him...?

  • ...
20
 155
 5,511

II: Let me be your ruler

ROYALS

By: Einhander

Pre-Read by: Cola Bubble Gum

Edited by: Sharp Spark, Cola Bubble Gum


TWO


"Sweetie, could you bring that board over?"

"Sure! Gosh, sis, when are you gonna be done with this job? I feel like it's been going on forever!"

"Really? It’s all been a blur. Just so busy!"

"What is this, a chalk board?"

“Yes, Fil says it helps him think, to map out ideas. I promised I’d try it out. We’re a bit stuck on how to remodel the front of the store. But I’ll be a diamond dog before I use my hooves to write on the board, I’ve got this horn for a reason.”

“Uh huh. How does it work?“

“Well, first you write down the idea, circle it and then write down related phrases and ideas. Then you draw arrows, connecting what flows and crossing out what doesn’t, and eventually, inspiration strikes!”

“...”

“... well, it works for Fil, I guess. But it’s all chalk to me.”

"Sis? Who or what is a ‘Fil’?

“Hmm? Oh, sorry, that’s my little nickname I have for Mr. Rich.”

“.... Mr. Rich? Wait. Filthy Rich?”

“He doesn’t like to go by that name, and I felt strange addressing him as ‘Mister Rich’ all the time.”

“Rarity, that’s Diamond Tiara's Dad."

“Yes, Sweetie. All ponies, even Diamond Tiara, get a mother and a father.”

“Sis, Tiara is the worst. The worst. Don’t tell me you forgot all the trouble she put me through before I got my cutie mark!”

“Yes, all that time you spent with your two best friends, going on adventures, finding yourself. And now you’re the best singer in your school. So horrible.”

“Seriously? I can’t believe you would do this to me!”

“I fail to see how I am ‘doing’ anything to you. He’s paying me handsomely, and we’re working together to help Applejack.”

“But she's a total bitch and a spoiled brat!”

“Sweetie Belle! Such language!"

"It's true!"

"For your information, Fil is a gentlecolt! He’s not his daughter.”

“Well she got it from somewhere, that’s all I’m saying.”

“Sweetie Belle, really! I’m surprised at you! All this judging of other ponies. He has been nothing but professional, and nice to me, and to the Apple Family.”

“What, are you dating him now?”

“What?! No. What? Of course not.”

"You are, aren't you."

"Oh, just, go to your room, Sweetie! This instant!"

“Whatever. Look, just be careful okay? I don’t trust that family any farther than I can throw them. And…”

“What.”

“Nothing.”

“Say it.”

“You once told me your dream was to marry a rich prince, and you’d be Lady Rarity, never have to worry about bits ever again.”

“Sweetie, I was just a teenager then. I’m surprised you even remembered that.”

“Well, I did. And now, you’re the adult, I’m the teenager.”

“And?”

“Act your age. He’s not even a prince.”


"Excuse me?"

Rarity blinked through her tears, weariness giving way to confusion. She stared at the inside of her stall door. There was someone on the other side. And they were knocking.

"Excuse me, miss?"

She couldn’t place the voice, although it had a subtle western twang she recognized from her adventures in Appleloosa. A quick glance to the left and right of her revealed other stalls, with no hooves. Unless they were broken or filled with foals, they were clearly open. Why in Equestria would this pony need to knock on her stall?

"Miss Rarity?"

She gasped. Confusion fell to mortification. Who was this pony, and why did they know she was crying in the bathroom of The Gilded Oat? Playing dumb entered her mind as a solution, but she quickly rejected it; the gasp had given her away. Kicking open the door and bolting also seemed a briefly attractive idea, but it only got her out of the bathroom, and getting out of the restaurant was another issue entirely. How did this pony know her name?

"Please, Miss Rarity. I just want to help."

"And who are you, dear?" An absurd question to ask through a stall door, but at this point, absurdity bred absurdity.

"You probably don't remember me, but I remember you. You were a friend to me when I needed one. Please, Miss Rarity. Open the door?"

Rarity had always strongly believed in kindness to strangers. It was strange to be on the receiving end, especially since this stranger claimed to know her. Still, her options were more limited now, having engaged with this pony beyond the door.

"Very well. Fair warning, I may be a fright."

She opened the door with a hoof, lacking the mental strength to use magic at the moment. Rarity squinted at the sight before her. Was it… it was! The beige unicorn mare from earlier, the lamp lighter, wearing a waiter's uniform and a relieved smile.

"It is you!" she cooed.

"I suppose I must be me, yes." Rarity replied, wiping her eyes. She tried to place the mare, and was coming up with nothing. She had a white mane and a serving plate cutie mark and was a little younger than her, but otherwise nothing about her was ringing any bells. But the mare knew who she was, or at least was a convincing performer.

“I thought it was you, but I wasn’t sure, and we must not make eye contact if we are not a table’s server, but I just knew it had to be you, and then I saw you run away and, oh I’m just so glad to see you again!” The mare rubbed her hooves together uneasily, then jumped forward and embraced Rarity.

It was a warm embrace on one end, frozen shock on the other. It was not the first time she had cried in a bathroom, but it was the first time she had been hugged by a stranger in such a situation. Who was this mare? She definitely had to be from Appleloosa or some other western town. But she couldn’t place her face… and yet, here she was, hugging her tightly.

Rarity found herself crying again.

The waiter mare hugged tighter. “Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you upset, I swear.”

Rarity disengaged herself, “No, it’s not you, I’ve just made a fool of myself. I don’t quite know how to salvage the evening.” She sniffed, wiping her nose. “It had been going so well.”

“Oh.” The waiter blinked. “I thought maybe that gentlecolt was bein’ less than a gentlecolt, and I was-I am-prepared to have him kicked out for you...”

“What?! No! Please don’t, I mean, I appreciate it, in theory, but he didn’t... Well.” Rarity’s head was swimming. “I suppose he did say something a bit uncouth but I over-reacted, he didn’t mean anything by it. He looked so sad, so upset with himself, and I.” She shook her head, the thought unfinished. “I was so comfortable around him when I didn’t think of it as a date, why am I such a mess now that it’s… and why am I bothering you with this? I thank you for your concern, but who are you?”

The waiter smiled softly. “We only met once, and you were very kind to me. You helped me when I needed it, and I promised myself I wouldn’t forget your generosity.” She pulled out a small kerchief out of her uniform and offered it to Rarity, who took it cautiously.

“But now I feel worse. You say I helped you? I’m sorry, I don’t remember.”

The bathroom door started to open behind the mare, and she turned her head and swiftly shut the door with her magic. “Closed for cleanin’!” she said briskly, then turned to Rarity and whispered, “It doesn’t matter. What matters is what I can do for you now. I’m Silver Platter. How can I help?”

“Well. Ms. Platter.” Rarity bit her lip, knowing the bathroom mirror was there but unable to dare a glance. “I ran here so quickly, in my mind I’m a disaster. Tell me, am I still presentable?”

“Don’t worry, Rarity! You look lovely, your gown, your accessories. Except for, um…” There was a pause. Platter gestured at the general area of Rarity’s muzzle. “I think your face needs a touch up?”

Rarity took a breath, closed her eyes, faced the mirror and opened them. She stared at herself and gasped.

“A pity this isn’t backstage at the opera, no? I could step in at a moment’s notice, as long as they needed a sad clown.” She grumbled, “The way it’s run over my face, I’m practically avant-garde.”

Platter chuckled, a little uneasily. “It’s not that bad…”

“Kind of you, Ms. Platter, but I’ll have to start over completely, there’s no saving this.” Rarity turned her head, magically floating her bag in front of her face. “If you could just keep the interlopers out for a moment, I can…” Her eyes went wide. “Oh, dash it all!”

“What?”

“I brought the wrong bucking purse.” She dropped her bag on the counter of the sink, and sewing needles and thread spilled out. “This is my work bag. My bag with all my make up, my tissues, my little bit of perfume, it’s hanging on my coat rack at home.” Her shoulders started shaking uncontrollably, wet chuckles escaping her throat. “After I went to all that care to pack it… haha…”

Silver Platter cocked an eyebrow. “Lady Rarity?”

“This isn’t an opera, it’s a farce.” Rarity’s shoulders sagged as the chuckles became quiet sniffles. “No matter. Silver, you have already been so kind to me, but I must ask a favor of you.”

“Anything.”

She hung her head. “Would you please tell Mr. Rich I took ill and had to leave, with my regrets?” She looked at herself in the mirror. “I think I can slip out quietly enough, I have that in me. But I don’t think I can look at him and say that without bursting into hysterics again. And I’ve had enough of that this evening.”

Platter paused. “No, I don’t think I could do that.”

Rarity sighed. “Right, you’re not our server. The eye contact, yes. Sorry. I wouldn’t want to endanger your position.”

“No, that’s not why.” She took the kerchief out of Rarity’s hoof and ran some cold water over it. “You like this stallion, right?”

“I suppose I do. He’s a widower, has a daughter, it’s complicated, but–”

Platter turned her head, wringing out the kerchief as she stared her in the eye. “You like this stallion.”

Rarity took a breath. “Yes. I do.”

“Then don’t surrender your future happiness over a matter as trivial as some bucking foundation and powder, excuse my Prarisian.” Platter dabbed Rarity’s eyes with the kerchief, then she lit up her horn and produced a small blue bag from a pocket on her uniform, floating it in front of Rarity. “Here.”

Rarity looked at the bag, then took over control with her own magic and opened it. A tiny sound of surprise escaped her mouth. Inside was a little blush, mascara, no lipstick but lip gloss, and a small sample size of eyeliner.

“It’s not much, I know.” Platter said.

“Oh Silver.” Rarity smiled, starting to tear up again. “It’s treasure.”

“Don’t go crying again, friend!” She smiled, re-dabbing Rarity’s eyes. “I have to get back to my section. But with your permission, I’m going to tell your waiter to tell Mr. Rich you’ll be out shortly?”

Rarity nodded. “Yes, I think so. Thank you.” She started taking out the small accessories, and smiled. “A thousand times, thank you.”

“Anytime.” Silver Platter smiled back and went for the door.

“Silver?”

“Mm?”

Rarity started at her through her reflection in the mirror. “What did I do for you, to make you be so kind to me?”

“Let’s just say, without you, I wouldn’t be here.” Platter winked and opened the door. Noise and light flooded the bathroom. “Will you be okay?”

She nodded. Platter smiled and closed the door, leaving Rarity alone. She began to apply the eyeliner.

“I just wish I could remember where I met you...”


“What are you up to, Rarity? I can smell a set-up a country mile away, and this stinks."

“Whatever do you mean, Applejack? I’m just showing you my designs for Fil's business."

"Who?"

"Er, for Mr. Rich. Don’t they look splendid?"

"You don’t say? Well, yeah, actually, they do. I reckon this will look real sharp, at least it'll be a lot nicer than that chicken scratch on his old signs."

"And look how the B interlocks with the other B! I know it's uncouth to brag, but I'm very pleased with them. And more importantly, Fil is pleased as well. It's rare to be as happy as your client with how something turns out."

"Uh huh. Heh. Twice."

"And Fil is convinced that this new look will lead to increased sales across the board–"

"Three times, sugar cube."

"I'm sorry?"

"Oh, nothin'. Go on."

"Well we were taking over our weekly lunch meetings, about this and that re: the designs, and, wouldn't you know, you came up? You and Sweet Apple Acres."

"And golly gee, you both thought what a treat it would be if you could design me some kinda logo thing and he could export my apples using that drawin' and we all make a lot of bits and live happily ever after?"

"Well I'm not sure we ever discussed that last part, in specifics, but..."

"Filthy Rich already made a run at me earlier today, darlin'. I appreciate the effort, but he's a much better sales pony. Had figures and charts and that aggravating polite but persistent manner. Alright, Rarity. You win, I'm in."

"If you'd just give us a... What was that? You're saying yes?"

"We need a shot in the leg for our farm, and I'm willing to try anythin' as long as it's legal. Go nuts. I mean, it's still gotta be me and the family, nothin too fancy but-"

"Oh Applejack! You shan't regret this! I promise Fil and I will-"

"Four."

"Ugh! Two, three, now four! What? What are you counting?"

"Number of times you say 'Fil'."

"Oh, that's just– he doesn't like his first full name, so he goes by that nickname."

"Rarity, I've known Filthy Rich my whole life. You know the number of times I've heard anyone call him anything other than 'Mr. Rich' or 'Daddy'?

"No."

"Only Four. Just now."

"Ah."

"Sorry, Rarity, didn't mean to embarrass you. It's just kinda adorable, that's all.”

"I. Am. Not. Adorable. Striking? Gorgeous? Accomplished? Classic? Fine. But I am not... That."

"You got your words, I got mine. Oh, and by the way? You’re blushin'."

"It's not like that! He's a married stallion and, and besides, we're just business partners. I do enjoy his company, of course, but–"

"Wait a second, hun, did you say married?"

"Well, yes. He has a daughter, and his office is covered in pictures of his family."

"Oh, shucks, Rarity. You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"His wife passed on years ago, when Tiara was just a little foal. He's a widower."

"But... The pictures, I don't understand..."

"How old was he in those pictures?"

"They did seen a bit out of date, but there were pictures of him and Tiara that couldn't be older than a year!"

"Just him and Tiara, right?"

"...”

“Sorry, darlin’. I thought you knew.”

“Oh, Applejack. I feel like a fool. I don’t know how I missed it."

"I'll tell ya this, Rarity. I'm not sure why it hasn't come up, but, I do know this. Mr. Rich always has a reason for anything he does. Weekly meetin's? Store redesign? Letting him call you 'Fil'? I think he likes you, sugarcube."

"Please don't say that."

"Why not? Oh, I get it. He's not royalty, right?"

"No, it's not that. I let that go a long time ago."

"Then what's the problem?"

"He's got a daughter.”

“Oh, right. Yeah, Tiara is a piece of work, ain’t she? Worried she won’t like ya?”

“It’s not just that. My sister hates her."


She approached the table with a slight hesitation in her step, wondering what would greet her upon her return. He sat at the table, one hoof on the side of head, the starters cleared from the table and the bread basket, for some reason, refreshed. Her fears eased once he turned his head and saw her, and his eyes lit up. He rose from his chair with a start, relief almost visibly pouring off his shoulders as he reached to pull her chair. She stopped him with a raised hoof as she magically pulled back her own chair.

“I’d like to–”

“I must–”

They both stopped. She coughed with a nervous smile and sat herself down. He waited, then sat and adjusted his tie.

“Sorry, you were saying?” Rich said.

Rarity shook her head, “No, please, you.”

He nodded, taking a sip of his wine with what seemed to be deliberate slowness. After he swallowed and dabbed his muzzle with a napkin, he took a breath and said, “I was afraid I was never going to see you again.” He paused, rubbing the back of his neck. “Even though the waiter said you would only be a moment, I didn’t believe him. I thought, if it’s because I couldn’t keep my stupid attempts at ice-breaking to myself, I’d just wouldn’t be able to forgive myself… which is my too long version of saying, I’m glad you came back.” He smiled weakly. “And I apologize for my rudeness.”

“First, darling, you have nothing to apologize for. Nothing at all.” Rarity downed what was left of her wine, then looked him in the eye. “Second, if that was your version of ice-breaking, well, we’re both in the soup now.”

Rich chuckled. “Yes, I suppose so.” He pointed at the wine bottle. “May I?” She nodded, and he slowly refilled her glass. “I’m at home talking to ponies, it’s what I do. I can sell dust to an Appleloosan. But when it comes to, well, this, I’m quite rusty. Say ‘when’.”

“So am I, Fil. So am I. Er, ‘when’. ‘When’!” She raised her hoof, and the pour stopped. It was a heavy pour, and then it clicked in her head: the bread basket wasn’t the only thing that had been refilled. This bottle was brand new, but for the wine that was in Rich’s glass.

Oh well, you’ve flown without a net before, Rarity. She sighed and picked up the glass. Never in a restaurant like this, but, if you can face down dragons and Discords...

“Cheers.”

“Cheers.”

Clink.

She sipped the wine, and let the flavors wash over her tongue.

“I know Applejack has been stubborn, but I can tell she appreciates what you’ve done.” Rich said, straining to keep a positive tone in his voice. “I think that our work, your work really, is going to help make Ponyville a better place.”

“I’ve never been proud of my address,” she replied, and instantly wondered why. He stared at her, eyebrows raised. She decided to double down. “I spent my whole life trying to get away from Ponyville. Trying to get to a palace, or Manehattan, or… anywhere but here. I saved my bits, I built my business. And I did see the palace, and the Crystal Empire, and I even showed a fashion line in Manehattan, made some friends and enemies, but…” She sipped her wine, head spinning. Why was she saying all of this?

Rich shrugged. “All roads lead back to Ponyville, my father used to say.”

“We are smack dab of the country, aren’t we? I never thought of it that way, but I suppose so, yes. They do.” She looked at her wine, tilting the glass, watching the lamp light bounce off the red liquid. “And I travelled down most of them, and yet here I am.”

Rich leaned back in his chair. “Do you consider yourself a failure for coming back?”

“No. Not really. No matter where I went, I never found ponies as kind as here. The friends I made here, they’ve stayed with me for the longest. I missed them terribly when I left. I shudder to think what I might have become if I pursued my foolish filly dreams, or if I had moved to Manehattan back when I first left school.”

The kindness returned again to Rich’s eyes. “I’m sure you would have been fine.”

She shook her head. “Every pony has a dark side, Mr. Rich. I’ve seen mine only a few times, but it scares me. And it’s only come out when I’ve been away from home.” She sipped her wine again and sighed. “Usually regarding matters of the heart.”

“I was amazed, honestly, to see you back here and unattached.”

She laughed. “My last attachment ended somewhat spectacularly. That’s what I thought you were asking me about earlier.”

Rich blinked. “A rumor?”

She shrugged. “A story, but not a good one. You think you’re with a fabulous pony in the art world. Then it turns out you’re the other mare, and you’re the last one to find out that he's about to propose to a fashion model. If Coco hadn’t pitied me, taken me aside and told me the truth, I’d still be waiting for a horn band that was never coming.”

"Coco..." He squinted in thought. “The designer, yes?”

“More like a mogul now, but yes. She’s a friend, remember?”

“Ah yes. Diamond still speaks of that gift, you know.”

She smiled. “That’s nice. Anyway, I move back here, and ever since Sweetie had to move in with me, I, well, I became more a mother than sister. And I considered all matters of romance tabled, indefinitely. I do love Sweetie so. She makes me go mad now and then, but now I can’t imagine life without her. And I have to make sure she keeps up with her singing lessons of course, and…”

She stopped, staring into her wine glass. A warmth that she hadn’t experienced with the previous two glasses was swirling through her body, and she realized, too late, that she hadn’t actually eaten the bread she had buttered, nor did she have much of the soup.

And now you are tipsy. Well done, ‘Lady’ Rarity.

She often doubted the loyalty of her own mind. Trying to keep on whatever train of thought was still at the station, she proclaimed, “Rusty! I am rusty, indeed.” Rarity babbled. “It’s been, oh my, what, two years? Since my last dinner with a stallion. Maybe three.” A image passed by her mind’s eye, and she shuddered. “No, it was two, that traitor. Er. How long for you, if I can ask? Er, the dinner part, not the with a stallion part. Not that there’s anything wrong with…"

Rich smiled. "I think we're going to need some more wine."

"Oh, dash it all, you know what I mean!” Rarity sniffed. "Don't make me feel sillier than I already do. How long has it been for you?"

“Let’s see… Diamond is sixteen, so…” He gazed upwards in thought, like he had previously with her question about bits. “Eighteen years? Yes, that sounds about right.” Rich looked back down, and winced when he saw her reaction. He sighed. “It sounded reasonable until I said it out loud. Celestia help me. I’m sorry.”

“No! No! It’s fine.” Rarity waved her hooves. “Fine. So. The, um, the last date you went on was, well–”

“My wife.”

The silence was sudden and overwhelming. Rich tried to fill it. “Well, I was set up by friends with a mare, a lovely lady, really, when Diamond was five, three years after…” Rich shook his head. “But it was just coffee. And it, well, it never went further than that. Really.”

“So eleven years, then.” Rarity said faintly.

“I suppose so.” Rich shrugged. “I told my friends and family, in no uncertain terms, never again. Especially not somepony like that.”

Rarity floated her wine over and had a healthy sip. No longer was her fear that she was tipsy. Now the thought that gave her complete dread was sobriety. “Somepony like what?”

“She was a lovely mare, just lovely, but, and it wasn’t her fault, I could never date somepony like that.”

“You’re ducking the question, Fil.” She put her glass down impatiently. “Somepony like what?”

He sighed and took his own sip. “She was too much like her.”

Rarity’s heart skipped a beat. There could only be one ‘her’, not that she knew her name. Which she should have, if she had bothered to ask anypony.

I am such a fool.

Rich’s eyes fell on the table and did not rise. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, to alleviate the pain she saw on his face, but before she could he continued: “She didn’t look like her,” he continued, “Not really. A slight resemblance but a different coat color, a different mane. Her voice was more earthy. But they should have known. A cutie mark of leaves? Did they think I wouldn’t notice?” A slight edge of bitterness crept into his tone. “And this mare, oh what was her name, Holly something? So long ago.” He shook his head. “Anyway, she was talking of going hiking, and trips into the wilderness, and she was so nice but I smiled, and I nodded, and paid for her coffee, and then I went back to my mother and said, in no uncertain terms, never again. Wild Woods cannot be replaced. Do not insult her memory by trying."

Whatever silences had come before, this was the new king of quiet. Rarity reached over and took his hoof. “I’m sorry, Fil. We don’t have to speak about it any more.”

He shook his head, holding her hoof tight. “It’s not very pleasant dinner conversation, is it?” He sighed and leaned back. "Why did I pick this restaurant? It's so stuffy in here, I feel like I'm having trouble breathing." He paused. "The food's not bad, though."

She stared at him, turning his words and her thoughts over in her head. Unfolding her hooves from his, she leaned in close and said, “Do you trust me?”

He blinked. “What do you mean?”

“I have an idea,” she whispered, “But I need you to follow my lead. Are you game?” He regarded her for a moment, then nodded. She smiled, and turned to their waiter. “Pardon me?”

The uniformed stallion turned and bowed. “Yes, Miss?”

“I have a somewhat unusual request. Are our entrees ready?”

He smiled. “They should be out momentarily, Miss.”

“Very good. We would like them to go, please.”

The waiter blinked. “Beg pardon?”

Rarity smiled patiently. “We would like the meals we have ordered, both of them, to go. Paper plates, silverware, and napkins in a bag, please.” She finished her glass, and pointed to the red wine. “And if you could cork this bottle, that would be most appreciated, as we will be taking that with us as well. Along with two fresh glasses. Add them to our bill.”

The waiter slowly nodded as he backed away, “Right away, Miss.”

Rich looked at her, a slow smile creeping up on his face. “What are you plotting, Lady Rarity?”

“An adventure, Mr. Rich.” She winked. “Just a small one.”

Author's Note:

G e n e r o s i t y....

Also, here's another video from that same group, sans the clown. It's what I think of everytime I type 'He's a gentlecolt!"

I'm flattered you all have taken to my story. Enjoy Part 2.