• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 24,224 Views, 960 Comments

Rise of Sunbutt the Awesome - BobAlcove



Princess Celestia is the paragon of everything good and pure. And currently not available. Hi my name is Frank, the new guy in charge of this body and I'm here to fulfill all your princess needs. At least until I find something better to do.

  • ...
105
 960
 24,224

Can't get enough of your...

Ponyville Town Center…

The great costume party was about to start. Hundreds of costumed festival guests had already gathered and passed the time by loitering around the booths and tables.

One of those tables was occupied by a grumpy looking Twilight and a bored Rainbow Dash, sipping on their drinks.

“Ok Twilight, I know you’re a fan of that Starswirl fella, but dressing up as him all the time is really boring and somewhat creepy”

Twilight looked up from her cup and pushed the bells of her pointy hat out of her eyes, giving Rainbow Dash a deadpan expression. Being told from her of all ponies, that obsessing over something was bad sounded like a bad joke. This feeling was amplified by the fact, that she was wearing a officer uniform from the Wonderbolts and matching aviator glasses.

Rainbow Dash glanced down on herself and back to Twilight. “That is something completely different. This uniform is custom made and I will be wearing it next week as the new captain of the Wonderbolts!”

Twilight wanted to ask what Spitfire would be doing from now on. She decided otherwise, when she got a good look at Applejack. The farm pony was working at the cider booth and poured drinks to thirsty customers.

Dressed as a giant red apple.

“We have to talk to her some time in the future, about her fixation on apples. I think she got us both beat in the obession department”

Rainbow Dash took a sip from her cup. “Agreed. Where are the others?”

“Rarity is still with Fluttershy and checking, if she’s ok after..” said Twilight and shuddered as the earlier pictures of their stake out came back to her mind, “...you know what”

Turning green in the face, Rainbow Dash pushed her cup away. “Don’t remind me. And what about Pinkie?”

All she got as an answer, was a purple hoof pointing past her at the stage.

She followed Twilight’s pointing hoof with her eyes and indeed there was Pinkie, talking to the mayor. Or better said angrily shouting her to pieces. Rainbow Dash could see the spray of spittle out of her mouth from here.

“Pinkie is kinda tense lately. Why isn’t she wearing a costume?”

Twilight cringed as she watched Pinkie kick the podium off the stage. “I tried talking to Pinkie earlier and all I got out of her, was something about wrong streamers and fireworks colors”

They both turned when a large shadow was cast on their table. It was none other than Princess Luna, who smiled happily at them.

“Greetings, Twilight Sparke and Rainbow Dash. I’m so happy to have finally found you. I would have come sooner, but my sister kept me quite occupied since my arrival,” proclaimed Luna loudly.

“Hello Princess Luna, so nice to see you,” said Twilight nervously, trying to keep a straight face.

Rainbow Dash just stared at Luna, frozen in shock. A sudden jolt in the ribs from Twilight brought her out of that state. “Uhm yeah, totally princess. I really like your costume and everypony can totally tell that you are…”

“A playful bunny, my dear Rainbow Dash”

And Indeed, Luna was wearing the bunny ears on her head. But also a black corset with a white collar and a red bowtie.

She had trouble choosing a costume on the ship and finally just picked one at random. Luna remembered the big grin on her sisters face, when she had asked what kind of bunny that would be.

“The best kind” Frank had said before happily strutting away and telling her, to meet him at the costume party. Luna thought about her sister’s words and didn’t notice the confused looks Rainbow Dash and Twilight were giving each other.

Where was her sister? Luna had arrived on the exact time, she was told to come.

Suddenly the whole town was covered in darkness as the sun plummeted like a stone behind the horizon. As it’s replacement rose a giant moon with a silhouette of a mare displayed on it. The festival guests started to panic and the sudden black fog all over town didn’t help to calm them down.

“She wouldn’t!” thought Luna.

Everyone froze in their movement when a deep and sinister voice echoed all over ponyville.

“Citizens of Ponyville, I have returned!”

“She’s really doing it!”

Lightning struck the stage and after the smoke had vanished, everyone could see Frank appear. He had painted his coat black and wore a midnight blue armor. Somehow, he even managed to change his mane color to a deep blue.

The crowd went understandably nuts.

“Nightmare Moon!”

“Oh no, she has returned!”

“Save the children!”

“The horror, the horror!”

“YOU PONIES KNOW, THAT I’M STANDING RIGHT HERE, RIGHT?”

The crowd stopped their panic for a moment and looked at Luna. She was pointing to herself and then at Frank. The crowd did a collective “oh” and turned their attention back to the stage as if nothing had happened.

Frank harrumphed loudly and continued his little performance.

“My dear subjects, today is the day I return the favour for banishing me. Today you will all experience what I did. The moon is waiting for all of you!”

The whole town was basked in a blinding light. When it finally faded away and everyone could see again, the crowd gasped in shock.

“And by Tartarus you shall enjoy it. Let’s party!”

They were on the moon. It was like the whole town had been picked up and relocated on the moon’s surface. In the sky you could see the stars and a big blue planet floating in space. Even the gravity was the same as it is on the moon. Soon most festival guests were occupied with jumping and floating around.

Twilight examined the sky with huge interest. “This is quite an impressive feat of magic. An illusion spell, coupled with a town sized low gravity bubble. Although she got the continents and oceans of Equis wrong. Your sister is really amazing, isn’t she Princess Luna?”

Twilight got no answer.

“...Luna?”

Luna didn’t hear Twilight. Luna didn’t hear anything at all, too focused on the scene before her eyes.

The moon.

That was the desolate and empty place, she was confined to for a whole millenium. The place from where she stared at the beautiful and breathtaking blue ball she called her home once. A sight so beautiful that she wanted to share it with someone, but nobody was there to do so for hundreds of years.

Now they were all around her.

Little children jumping around in low gravity and playing tag. Hysterically laughing ponies, griffons, donkeys and minotaurs in drinking competitions, trying more and more creative ways to get the floating liquids into their mouths and beaks .

Diamond Dogs curiously examining the moon rocks and taking bites out of the illusionary stones, before Frank shooed them away and showed the dogs a pile of gems he had prepared.

The elderly, now freed from the weight of their brittle bones, dancing with the young and energetic with Granny Smith leading way.

And over all of that was the sound of cheerfulness and laughter.

Luna didn’t know the exact moment she started crying, but noticed it when she could only see Frank blurrily through her tears. He stopped before her and looked around with a satisfied grin.

“What do you say, isn’t it awesome? I think I outdid myself this time,” said Frank twirling and shuffling around in his Nightmare Moon costume, before noticing Luna’s crying face and stopping dead in his tracks, “Oh no you don’t like it, don’you?”

She watched as Frank magically took off his costume and turned to the crowd, taking a deep breath. Luna knew what was coming, but wasn’t able to form any words.

“OK EVERYONE, FUN IS OVER! YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO HOME BUT YOU CAN’T…”

Frank stopped suddenly, when Luna hugged him and buried her face in his chest.

“So..., you like it?” asked Frank.

He got no verbal answer from her, but could feel her face moving up and down on his chest.
“And you don’t want me to stop it? Because I would in an instant.”

This time he felt her head move from left to right and back, accompanied by a hoarse whisper. “No, this is wonderful…”

He gently pulled her away from him and materialized a hankerchief, which Luna took gladly and blew her nose. Frank saw a group of fillies approaching, with a certain brown speckled colt in a pirate costume as their spearhead. “With that out of the way, why don’t you spend some time with your admirers?”

Luna spun around with a confused look on her face. It changed rapidly to a large smile.

“Pipsqueak!” said Luna, watching the little colt and his friends hurrying to her. They all tumbled over each other and landed in a large pile before her.

Pipsqueak stuck his head out of the bottom of the pile and smiled. “Princess Luna, I’m so happy that you are here. Please play with us!”

Before she could do anything, Luna was grabbed on her hooves by the children and dragged away.

“Can’t compete with the adorableness of that little bugger” thought Frank and made his way to one of of the many outdoor bars, completely ignoring Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

Sitting down on a barstool, he didn’t have the time to make a sound before a full glass of amber liquid was dropped noisily in front of him.

“This one is on the house, your Highness,” said a deep and booming voice. Frank looked up and could see the smiling face of a middle aged minotaur, “name’s Iron Brew by the way. I hope you got that thank-you letter of ours”

Frank took the glass of highly alcoholic fluid and drank it in one go. Feeling the burn in his throat, he made a satisfied groan right after smacking the counter with a hoof. “I remember that stuff, really good to get a day rolling”

The minotaur stared at Frank. Then he refilled his glass, while laughing loudly. “Your’re a mare to my liking, if I weren’t happily married I would propose right now!”

Frank deadpanned and took sip of his now refilled glas, savouring the flavour this time. “Thank you… I guess...”

Iron Brew went back to serving the other customers and left Frank alone with his thoughts. Frank almost fell from the barstool, when all of a sudden a bundle of red hair poked out under the counter. Followed by a pair of huge orange eyes staring at him.

“Hello princess. Could I talk to for a second?” said Applebloom, resting her head on the counter.

Frank grasped his chest and tried to calm down from this scare. “Sure why not? But why are you hiding there?”

Applebloom glanced over to the cider booth, before she signaled Frank to get closer.

When their faces where just a few inches apart, she whispered into his ear. “Because I’m grounded and not supposed to be here. I snuck out and don’t want Applejack to find out”

Frank bopped her lightly on the nose. “So, I take it that you took my advice?”

A bright smile appeared on Applebloom’s face with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Yes and it worked like a charm. They both don’t get near us at school anymore. But that’s also the reason I have to talk to you. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon found another way to make our lives miserable”

“I’m listening,” said Frank and took another gulp from his glass.

“I easier to just show you,” said Applebloom, sliding Frank a piece of paper, “here read this”

Frank looked over the document and recognized it as the teamlist for the upcoming hoofball tournament. Not many teams had been listed in the first place, but now only two teams remained, whose names weren’t crossed out. The Diamonds and the CMC.

Frank tapped the paper with his hoof. “Care to explain?”

“Diamond Tiara’s father is the sponsor of the Detrot Busters, a professional hoofball team. Most of their players are now playing for her team. That’s the reason every other team quit!”

Eliminating the competition by stacking the odds against them, to the point they don’t believe in winning no more. That Diamond Tiara knew how to play.

“Why did you enlist a team in the first place?”

“We didn’t! She did that to humiliate us on the field!” yelled Applebloom and slammed the counter, before diving under it again and throwing nervous glances to the cider booth.

“And you don’t want to quit, because…?”

She came forth from the counter again with a angry grimace on her face. “And give her the satisfaction? Never, I rather get stomped into the ground!”

Frank admired the guts of that filly, but didn’t see much hope for them if these Detrot Busters were the equivalent of a professional football team on earth. “It says here that you need eleven players. How many do you have?”

“Just Scootaloo and me. Sweetie Belle is preparing herself for the magic competition”

Frank raised an eyebrow. “She's entering?”

“Not voluntarily, at first. This is also Diamond Tiara’s doing, but Sweetie Belle doesn’t want any help from us,” said Applebloom and sighed heavily.

That surprised Frank. He had created the magic competion as an afterthought to have something to do for the unicorns. There weren’t even any rules written down, just that the unicorns would have to compete. What would Sweetie Belle want in a magic competion?

Applebloom watched Frank as he was deep in thought. “She’s weird lately, always using her magic for everything. Ever since she shocked Silver Spoon with her horn, all she does and talks about is magic”

Shaking his head to clear his mind, Frank turned his attention to Applebloom again. “So you want me to help you? In what way? Use my magic to cheat?”

Frank jerked as the small farm filly forcefully poked his nose with her hoof. “No, not that! I want to beat Diamond Tiara in her own game, so just help us to get a chance to do so!”

Frank got his face closer to look into those determined eyes and saw a fire burning. She would face Diamond Tiara, with or without him. Might as well give them a little help. “Be on the field tomorrow. That’s all I’m saying right now”

“Thank you…” said Applebloom, hugging Frank’s face.

Applebloom vanished under the counter again and seconds later, Frank could see a small bedsheet ghost walking away from the bar in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Someday these ponies will make me die on diabetes, but that kid is gonna go far,” thought Frank and turned back to his drink.

And right into the face of a pink party pony, sitting on the counter.

They both remained like this for a few moments, before Frank decided to break the ice with his snout still pressed on hers. “So... can I help you with something?”

Pinkie still didn’t move away, gazing into his eyes. “I still have so much to learn. What you did there with the moon was brilliant. Using magic to enhance the party experience, I have never thought of something like that!”

Frank slowly shoved Pinkie away from him, wearing a nervous smile on his face. “That’s nice Pinkie and don’t worry there’s still plenty of time for you to impress me”

“I will…,” whispered Pinkie, slowly climbing down from the counter and walking backwards into the crowd. Never breaking eye contact with Frank or blinking while doing so.

“Sometimes this pony seriously freaks me out,” said a voice beside him.

Frank turned to the voice. “Tell me about it. I wonder what’s in those cupcakes”

On the barstool beside him, sat none other than Discord. The spirit of chaos and trickster god, drinking a glass of chocolate milk. Frank took a deep breath. He didn’t have the patience for this right now. But nonetheless started a conversation. “Did you like the house, I built for you and Fluttershy?”

Discord snapped wiith his fingers and Frank’s glass refilled from bottom to top. “Yes it’s quite cozy. I especially like the king sized bed in heart shape. I didn’t know you had a sense of humor Tia”

“Haven’t got any complains so far,” said Frank, lifting his glass in appreciation and drank a huge gulp. It tasted almost like the whiskey from the minotaur with a hint of chocolate.

“Your work is quite marvelous, if you want to hear my professional opinion. The shenanigans you are spreading, rival mine in intensity. What I want to know though is why you do this? This makes no sense to me”

Frank perked up at this. So he could cross Discord from the list of subjects, who might have brought him here to Equestria. Not that he was seriously looking anyway. And Discord doesn’t seem to have a clue who Frank really was. Time for Frank to have some fun. “A little chaos doesn’t hurt anybody Discord and it’s quite entertaining. What fun is there in making sense?”

Discord almost choked on his chocolate milk and tried to cover up his coughing by turning away from Frank.

Frank had an innocent look on his face, which turned into a small smile when he glanced at Discord. “But enough of me. How’s your love life? Making any progress with Fluttershy?”

“I’m afraid, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Discord, hiding his face behind the glass he was holding.

Frank put his hoof around Discord’s waist and pulled him closer. “Come on buddy, you can tell me. How far did you get with that adorable yellow piece of hotness?”

Discord was getting real uncomfortable and tried to squirm free of Frank’s embrace. His grip on him was like a vice though and it got even tighter, every time he tried to get free. Like a big, fat and drunk boa. Discord decided to get offensive and took sip of his chocolate milk before smugly asking. “What about you Tia? Anyone you pining for right now?”

Frank let go of Discord and did a spin on the barstool. “As a matter of fact Discord, there is. She is standing right there with a group of children”

Discord looked and almost choked again. “Your sister? You are joking right?”

“Nope, I’m madly in love with Luna. And not the sweet and innocent playground crush kind of love, more like the sweaty and passionate love-making type. I admit it’s borderline obsession at this point”

Frank really enjoyed the face, Discord was making right now. A mixture of confusion and agitation. “Why are you telling me this? You wouldn’t tell anybody about this!”

Frank drummed with his glass on the counter, to signalise Iron Brew to refill. “Simple reason actually. Nobody would believe you and it’s good to get that off my chest. I mean, who would the ponies believe more in the end. Me or you?”

Discord and Frank stared at each other for a long time. Discord flinched, when Frank clicked his tongue and wiggled with his eyebrow. “Excuse me, I have somewhere else to be,” said Discord, snapping with his fingers and vanishing with a puff of white smoke.

Frank chuckled into his glass and gulped it down. He stood up from his seat and left a note for the bartender, before taking flight and heading for the ship. There had been enough interaction for one day and he was tired.

Back at the table from Twilight and Rainbow Dash, the purple princess turned off the magical glow around her ears.

“So, did the surveillance spell work? What did Princess Celestia say?” asked Rainbow Dash and took a sip from her alcoholic cider.

It got ripped out of her hoof by a purple aura and Twilight downed the glass in one go. “Don’t ask. I’m going to do my best for the rest of my life to repress the memory of it!”


Later that night...

Luna let herself fall on her bed, the second she entered her room that night. She had loved being around those children, but they had done quite a number on her stamina.

And this wouldn’t have happened without Tia.

Her thoughts drifted to her sister. This night has been the nicest thing, anyone has ever done for her. Luna wanted to thank Tia right then and there, but was overwhelmed by her emotions at the time. Later Luna found out, that her sister had already left the party and felt guilty about ignoring Tia in favour of her number one fan. But she made a vow to express her gratitude as soon as possible.

“A pity that she’s already asleep. I can’t talk to her before tomorrow. Unless…”

A grin appeared on her face. She could visit Tia in her dreams. Luna hadn’t done so in a while and it would be a perfect opportunity for a personal talk with her.

Luna closed her eyes and lit up her horn. Focusing on the magic of her sister, she sensed it a few rooms further away. In a flash of light she disappeared from her room.

Only to feel the certain rush of free falling through the air.

Opening her eyes she could see the ground rapidly getting closer. She fell between impossible high buildings of glass and steel and watched her reflection in the windows. She spread her wings and slowed down her fall to a controlled gliding over the buildings. Luna was astonished by the proportions of this city. It reminded her of Manehattan, but the buildings were bigger and much more intricate in design.

And there were hundreds of them.

It was also nighttime over the city and not one window was lit, which left the full moon as only light source. Nobody was on the streets, what wasn’t unusual. Luna knew that objects in dreams became less detailed, the further away they are from the dreamer.

“Where by Tartarus am I?” said Luna, flapping her wings to get more altitude.

She felt her sisters magic nearby and flew towards it. In the distance she could see one of the older brick and mortar buildings and a window with light in it, almost near the top.

On arrival, Luna opened the window and entered the room. The place was nothing special, a small kitchen with a table and two chairs. The sink was full of dirty dishes and on the table were a lot of empty flat cardboard boxes.

“Freddies Pizza. This stuff is bananas,” said Luna, reading the text bubble from the moustache twirling monkey on the box. Looking a bit more around, she heard noise from next door and slowly approached it.

Luna glanced through the door crack and saw something strange. There sat her sister in the darkness on a worn out armchair and stared into a glowing box. She silently entered the room and got closer from behind. Standing right behind the armchair, Luna finally got a good look at the glowing box.

She saw Ponyville at night and herself standing there with Applejack and Twilight Sparkle. Luna watched herself, as she loaded a catapult with a pumpkin and shot it right at the target .

“The fun has been doubled!” proclaimed her image in the box.

Luna remembered that day and the cringeworthy line, but how could her sister?

“Oh, Luna you’re so adorably awkward,” said Frank as he watched one of his favourite episodes.

“No, I’m not!” said Luna in protest, before putting a hoof on her mouth.

In an instant everything vanished and Luna stood in a white room. Frank watched her with a forced smile.

“Did she just abort her own dream?” thought Luna.

A little pillow appeared out of nowhere and Frank sat down on it. “Hello Luna, what a nice surprise! How can I help you?”

“What was that? Why do you have knowledge of what happened on that day? I never told you about the pumpkin catapult or what I said when I hit the target!” said Luna and got closer to him after every sentence.

Frank was sweating like crazy. This wasn’t good. This wasn’t good at all. He had to think of something fast, before everything collapses into itself. “You know Luna, I didn’t want to tell you this but I was keeping tabs on you, ever since your return. I was worried and wanted to make sure you have a good time in Ponyville”

“How?” asked Luna and got even closer to him.

“Oh you know, there’s a spell for everything. Think of it as a looking through a pair of floating and invisible binoculars, which sent what they see directly to me”

Luna narrowed her eyes and Frank silently cursed to himself.

“Invisible pair of binoculars? That’s the best you can come up with brain? I so deserve anything that is coming to me right now!”

But to his astonishment, Luna’s face relaxed. “I remember that spell, but I didn’t know they improved it to the point, where the content could be stored away. Magic has advanced far this last thousand years” said Luna impressed.

“She bought that? Who’s the man? I’m the man!“

“But, I would prefer it, if you would refrain from invading my privacy in the future. Even though you had noble motives”

“Of course Luna, it won’t happen again,” said Frank, hardly believing how lucky he was.

“By the way, what was that city I found you in?”

Not that lucky.

“Oh that?” said Frank shifting his eyes, “just a little place I was working on in my free time. Nothing special, look I got other ones”

Frank lit up his horn and they both sat on a snowy mountain in a hot tub. The next teleport was a beach on a tropical island. He transported them like this several other times. A cruise ship on the ocean, a train riding through the desert, a lake in the forest and finally the surface of the moon.

“This is a dream after all. Any place I want to be, I can be in an instant”

Luna went silent. The sight of the moon’s surface and Equis on the horizon, reminded her why she came in her sisters dream to begin with and pushed any further questions she had aside.

Frank misinterpreted it as her feeling discomfort about this place. “Oh right, bad memories I guess. Let me fix it!”

“No!” said Luna more forcefully than intented, “this is perfect, for what I wanted to do”

Luna breathed in deeply and cleared her throat, before putting a smile on her face.

“Tia, I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me. That was really sweet of you and I want to do something nice in return. Is there anything, I could do for you to show my gratitude?”

Frank blinked several times and let the words he just heard sink in. He turned away from her and Luna could have sworn she saw a blush on his face.

“I never got to dance with you”

Now it was Luna’s turn to blink with her eyes in confusion. “That’s all you want? A dance with me?”

“Not a normal one though. I want to try something new,” said Frank and kicked a moon pebble, while avoiding eye contact, “in this dance, we both get on our hindlegs and prevent ourselves from falling over by holding onto each other”

Luna deadpanned. “No offense sister, but I think you’re a bit to big and heavy for me to support you”

“A dream, remember?” said Frank and his body shrank to the size of Luna’s.

It sounded innocent enough and Luna was curious, what was so special about it. They both reared up and hold onto each other, which had the effect that their faces where just a few inches apart now. Frank and Luna stood there for a few moments and looked into each others eyes.

“What now?” asked Luna and noticed that her voice was a little shaky.

Now we need music to dance to.

Suddenly, Luna could hear smooth music playing, which was accompanied by a deep and even smoother voice.

They clumsily started moving around. At a slow pace at first and both were a little bit afraid of falling over. Once they realized the other one wouldn’t let that happen, the movements got more fluid. Left step and right step, forward and backwards. Never breaking eye contact while doing so.

Soon they danced all over the moon and Luna enjoyed every second of it. Luna felt a warm and fuzzy tingle in her belly, when she looked into Frank’s eyes and saw something she didn’t expect. There was love for her in those eyes. And not the kind of love somepony had for their sibling. Frank had dropped all pretense at this moment and just enjoyed the company and embrace of the pony he adored.

The sky was illuminated by a shower of shooting stars and the normal ones formed an identical image of Luna.

“Now you’re just showing off Tia,” said Luna in a tone that wasn’t sarcastic or scolding, but more affectionate and caring.

Going slowly in a circle, Luna rested her head on Frank’s shoulder and closed her eyes. She could feel the warmth of Franks coat and his heartbeat. This should have been weird for her. This was her sister after all. She shouldn’t enjoy something so wrong, but for whatever reason Luna couldn’t bring herself to care right now.

She removed her head from his shoulder and gazed into his sparkling orbs again. Frank tilted his head slightly and their lips were now a few inches short of touching.

“... Tia…I…” whispered Luna and her hot breath tickled Frank on the nose.

He could smell the familiar scent of blueberry again, to the point that Frank could almost taste it. Both of them got misty eyes and inched even closer to each other. In a final act of bravery they pressed their lips together.

On contact the music suddenly stopped and Frank’s body popped like bubble, leaving a blushing and confused Luna behind in the collapsing dream.

Frank woke up with his face pressed on the floor and a aching nose. The realization that he had fallen out of the bed and had woken up at this exact moment, left him with only one possible course of action.

“ARRRGGGHHHH, GODDAMNIT!”

Banging his head furiously on the floor.

Author's Note:

Next chapter and a kickass new cover (thanks for Nun2artzy from Deviantart for letting me use it).

Just a little heads up, that I will add the Romance tag in the future (Hope that doesn't deter anyone, who only came for the laughs XD )

Tried some new things, like the link with music. Should I use it again or does it distract too much from the story?