• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 1,905 Views, 70 Comments

Writer's Training Grounds Entries - Yukito



My entries into Equestria Daily's Writer's Training Grounds.

  • ...
3
 70
 1,905

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #8 - Unicorn Supremacy (Trixie Lulamoon, Lyra Heartstrings, Minuette, Vinyl Scratch) [Slice-of-Life]

It was late into the afternoon in Canterlot Central Park when a small crowd was gathered around a shoddy-looking stage set up by the four fillies currently playing their latest big hit. The four fillies were Lyra Heartstrings, Minuette, Vinyl Scratch, and Trixie Lulamoon. Together, they ‘Unicorn Supremacy’, a band consisting of four unicorns each enrolled into Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.

The crowd consisted of their mothers and fathers, and a few other fillies and colts that cheered them on quietly. Their parents told them that they were great, that their songs would make them stars, but the fillies weren’t blind. At least, three of them weren’t. They knew that their band wasn’t going anywhere, and they knew that their parents were just being nice. They also knew the reason behind it all: Trixie Lulamoon.

“She’s completely tone deaf!” Vinyl said to Lyra and Minuette as the three huddled together away from the stage. Trixie was busy receiving praise from her mother and boasting about how their next hit would be even greater. “What’s more, she can’t decide what she wants to be!”

“Signer, guitarist, violin, triangle… She changes her role every time we play,” Lyra said.

“Give her a break, you guys,” Minuette pleaded. “She’s just trying to find her special talent is all. You remember how it was when everypony else was getting a cutie mark but you, right?”

“I guess, but Vinyl’s still right about her being tone deaf. She can’t sing, she can’t follow hit the right notes, and she doesn’t even tune her instruments before starting.”

“I know you’re just along for the ride, Minuette,” Vinyl said, “But me and Lyra are moving to the Sound-based Magic classes next year. Our cutie marks are telling us to be musicians, so we need to start taking this more seriously.”

“I suppose it is difficult to have much fun when she completely throwing off our practice,” Minuette admitted, “But what can we do? We can’t just kick her out… right?”

“Maybe we can break it to her gently,” Lyra suggested. “Oh! Let’s get her tickets to Starcon before we tell her!”

“Tell me what?” The three fillies flinched and turned around to face their fourth band member approaching. “That our performance was a smashing success? Well of course it was. There was never any doubt about it.”

Lyra nudged Vinyl Scratch. “Me?!”

“You’re the one who wants her out the most,” Lyra whispered.

“You want her gone just as much as me,” Vinyl retorted. “Maybe it should be Minuette, since she’s the neutral one.”

“Hey! Don’t push your problems off on me!” Minuette protested.

“What’s wrong?” Trixie asked. “Oh! If you didn’t like Trixie singing your lines, Vinyl, don’t worry! I’m thinking of hitting the drums next time!”

The three fillies exchanged looks and nodded. They all faced Trixie and took a step forward. “Trixie,” Vinyl began. “There’s something we need to tell you… We’ve just been over here discussing it and, well…”

“It’s just that you’re not exactly the most musically-inclined pony around,” Lyra continued. “You can’t hit the right notes and you don’t know how to properly tune or play any instruments.”

“And Vinyl and Lyra want to start taking this more seriously,” Minuette added, “And it is kinda off-putting with you being all over the place, so…”

“You’re out,” all three said at once.

A wind blew past the group as Trixie remained ominously silent. The three fillies gulped. They were now hoping for Trixie to react in at least some way, but all they got was a vacant stare as Trixie’s face seemed to freeze mid-smile.

Finally, her smile fell. “I-I’m out?”

“I’m sorry, Trixie,” Minuette said. “Please don’t take it too personally. We’ll all go with you to Starcon, and we still want to be friends with you, it’s just that-”

“But we formed this band together,” Trixie said, tears forming in her eyes. “We formed this band just between us and agreed we’d all become famous together.”

“Trixie, please-” Lyra pleaded, but was cut off by Trixie pushing her aside as she ran past the three fillies.

“Trixie, wait!” Vinyl Scratch called out as she gave chase, her three friends behind her. They chased Trixie through the park and into a nearby public restroom. They found only stall closed inside, with a silver tail poking through the crack of the door and the sounds of sobbing and hiccups coming from the other side.

“Trixie, please open the door and come out,” Minuette pleaded as the three approached the stall door. “We didn’t mean to make you feel bad.”

“Go away!” Trixie demanded. “You’re all liars! I hate you all!”

“You don’t mean that! Just come out and stop being such a baby already!” Vinyl Scratch ordered, only to receive a bang from the other side of the door.

“Let me handle this,” Lyra said through gritted teeth as she pushed Vinyl Scratch aside. “Trixie, you’re right. We did form this band together, and we all agreed to keep it alive forever, just the four of us. But that was back when we were just playing around and didn’t know what our special talents would be. We’re all growing up now, and Vinyl and I want to take this seriously.”

“Oh, so it’s because I’m a blank flank? You don’t want me around because I’m not ‘mature’ enough for you?”

“I didn’t say that!” Lyra argued. “… Trixie, we don’t want you to feel bad. We’re still your friends, and we still care about you. We’ll do whatever you want to make you feel better if you’ll just come out.”

“Go away,” Trixie repeated with a sniff, her voice much weaker than earlier. “Just go away and leave me alone…”

“We-”

“Alright,” Vinyl Scratch said, startling her two friends until she lowered her shades and gave a wink. “We’ll leave, if that’s what you really want. C’mon guys, let’s go!”

Lyra and Minuette exchanged uncertain glances before following Vinyl Scratch out of the restroom. “Are you sure about this?” Lyra asked. “Just leave her all alone in there?”

“Let’s just give her some time to chillax,” Vinyl Scratch said. “We’ll be right here for her when she’s ready to come out.”

“It’s probably the best idea,” Minuette said. “Should we tell her parents, too?”

“No way,” Vinyl said. “We made this mess ourselves, so we should fix it. Besides, what if she comes out when we’re gone and thinks we abandoned her?”

A bright light flashed from within the restroom, startling the fillies. “What was that?” Minuette asked.

“That was magic,” Lyra said. “Oh no, what if Trixie’s going berserk in there?!”

“Let’s go!” Vinyl shouted, charging into the restroom with her two friends behind her. She ran into one of the empty stalls beside Trixie’s and leapt onto the toilet seat, jumping up and scaling the wall to look into Trixie’s stall. “Trixie!”

Trixie gasped and looked up at Vinyl Scratch. Her horn was shining brightly, bringing out the wetness of the fur on her face and the redness in her eyes. Lyra and Minuette joined Vinyl Scratch on the stall’s wall and the three fillies found what Trixie’s magic was doing. On the floor in front of Trixie, there was a magical lightshow taking shape in the form of four fillies – two blue, one green and one white – skipping together through a forest full of fireflies, complete with a starry sky above their heads.

“W-What’s that?” Minuette asked, her eyes wide and her voice filled with wonder and astonishment.

Trixie brushed a hoof across her muzzle as she sniffed and cancelled her magical spell. “It’s just something I do when I’m sad… I thought you left Trixie.”

“We were just waiting outside for you to come out,” Lyra explained. “But that spell… that was beautiful.”

“It was awesome,” Vinyl Scratch said. “You never told us you could do that.”

“It’s just a stupid little fantasy I thought up,” Trixie said as she looked down at the bathroom floor with an angry look.

“When’d you come up with it?”

“Just now.”

Minuette gasped. “You came up with that just now?”

“Hey, could you do it again?” Lyra asked. Trixie’s ears twitched and she turned a curious gaze towards her friend. “I think I’m getting something from it. Some inspiration for a new song, but I need another look at it.”

Trixie hesitated for a second, before her horn lit back up and the image appeared once more.

“Yes! That’s it!” Lyra shouted with a cheerful grin on her face and stars in her eyes. “I know what our next song’ll be!”

“I’m gettin’ some ideas, too,” Vinyl Scratch said. “We can put ‘em together later and see what we get!”

“It’s a nice image,” Minuette said, a smile on her face as she watched the fillies frolic through the night-time forest together. “I think many ponies will enjoy hearing a song about it.”

“Great, glad I could help,” Trixie said in a sarcastic tone as she undid the spell and curled herself into a ball. “Hope your band does well, even if I’m no longer in it.”

“What’re you talking about?” Lyra asked. “We can’t play just keep that image to ourselves.”

“Right,” Vinyl Scratch agreed. “The kinda song I’ve got in mind doesn’t work if the listeners can’t see that spell just now.”

Minuette clapped her hooves together as it hit her. “I see! Trixie can show everypony her spell while we sing a song to compillment it!”

“Compliment,” Trixie corrected. “So, does this mean… you want me back?”

“Heck yeah!” Vinyl Scratch shouted as she jumped into Trixie’s stall. She reached for the lock behind Trixie and released it. “Trust me! When everypony hears what I’ve got cookin’, and see what you just did too, Unicorn Supremacy will be on its way to fame and fortune!”

“I’ve got to write all this down before I forget it,” Lyra said as she pulled a notepad and a pencil from her saddlebag, scribbling lyrics down as fast as her horn would allow her to.

“I’ll go tell our parents we’ve got something big planned, and that we’re okay!” Minuette declared as she jumped off of the stall’s wall and ran out of the restroom.

“But Trixie won’t actually be playing an instrument, right?” Trixie, rising to her hooves with Vinyl’s help and sniffing one final time.

“Er, well, you won’t really need to be… Trust me, your part will be just as big as any of ours.”

“… Well…” Trixie took a deep breath and then gave Vinyl Scratch her biggest smile, “In that case, Trixie will do what she can to make our next hit a success!”


Four days later, Unicorn Supremacy had their next biggest hit. And a big hit it was, as not only did the parents show generally love for the performance that they saw, but so did many of the passerbys who stopped to listen and watch to the musical performance accompanied by a magical woven fairytale. Many of the latecomers even demanded an encore so that they could see the performance in its entirety.

After the performance was over, Unicorn Supremacy gathered at Lyra’s house for a victory party of orange juice and freshly-baked cookies.

“Three cheers to Unicorn Supremacy!” Lyra shouted as she held up her glass.

“Three cheers!” the other fillies chimed in.

“And to Trixie for making all this possible!” Trixie declared, holding her glass out once more, only to be met with silence. She pouted and pulled her glass back, resulting in laughter from her three friends.

“Hey,” Vinyl said, “I know we said we’d keep this goin’ forever, but how long d’you think we can really keep this band together for?”

“Hopefully it will be forever,” Minuette said, “But if not, I just hope we can all stay friends, no matter what.”

Lyra nodded in agreement as she looked over at Trixie, who was still wearing her cape as she drank her juice. “Aren’t you hot in that thing?”

Trixie lowered her glass and wiped her lips clean. “Hm? Oh, yeah, a little…” Trixie reached up for her broach and unfastened it.

“You guys,” Minuette said, “I don’t think there’s another band in Canterlot that uses magical imagery with their music. If we do this right, we really might become famous!”

The group was interrupted by a loud gasp from Trixie. “What’s wrong?” Vinyl Scratch asked as she faced her friend.

The three fillies found Trixie staring at her own flank with a big smile on her face. “I did it…” Trixie turned to her friends and shifted herself so that her flank was present, revealing a new mark that wasn’t there before. A five-pointed star wand and a wisp of starry mist in the shape of a crescent moon. “I did it! I got my cutie mark!”

Author's Note:

Doesn't follow the prompt exactly as the band hasn't 'taken over Canterlot', buuuut I'm sure a loose interpretation is accepted... right? ^_^;;

Check out the other submissions by various authours here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/writers-training-ground-008-filli_21.html

PreviousChapters Next