• Published 5th Jan 2014
  • 1,661 Views, 47 Comments

Solar Sails: Marooned In Equestria - Bluecho



In a universe where space ships put the sun in their sails, Sarin Miles is a bio-engineered soldier. A scouting mission to a strange planet leaves her stranded on a world of ponies. Can she survive Equestria? Will she want to?

  • ...
6
 47
 1,661

12 - Gone Native

Ch. 12 - Gone Native


“Art thou ready?” The princess yawned. It was way past her bed time. But she would power through it.

“Yes, I'm ready,” said Sarin, hopping off the bed. After her – perhaps well-deserved – emotional breakdown, Sarin Miles had wanted nothing but to sleep. So Luna allowed her to drift off. When Sarin awoke hours later, she had been deposited, not in her usual cell, but in a small guest room. It was still locked, with guards patrolling the outside hall and flying past the windows. But it had a modest bed and warm sheets. Creature comforts.

Luna had spoiled her. She was a prisoner, after all. At least Luna had left the chains on.

The princess opened the door, allowing Sarin to walk out. A couple guards accompanied them, but Sarin noticed they seemed less attentive. Almost bored. As if the idea of a lowly mortal assaulting the princess was somehow funny.

Had Luna threatened them? Wait, no. No conspiracy spirals.



Sarin Miles stood before Princess Celestia, her and Luna having taken their places in the Canterlot throne room. They cast their regal air in the most formal manner. Yet the Fatae couldn't help noticing Luna shooting reassuring smiles her way.

Celestia, of course, was all about reassuring smiles.

“Sergeant Sarin Miles,” she began, “over the last week we Princesses have observed and spoken with you because of the crimes you committed, and because of the potential threat you pose to Equestria.”

Despite the smiles, Sarin remained nervous. “And what have you decided, you highnesses?”

It didn't seem possible, but Celestia's smile became even warmer. “We've decided that you pose little to no threat,” she said, “and that you are free to come and go as you please.”

On the one hand, Sarin had prepared for this possibility. Luna had stated repeatedly that Celestia would forgive Sarin, that she would be fine. But another part of Sarin felt that need to rebel against it. “But your highness,” she said, frowning, “are you...hmm...”

“Go on, Sarin Miles,” interjected Luna. “Thou need not fear censor here.”

Sarin smiled. “...are you sure I can be trusted? After all I've done? After all I am?” Another pained expression settled on her face.

Celestia smirked, then feigned insult. “Oh, you wound me, Sarin Miles,” she said playfully. Then she gained a measure of seriousness. “For all that's good, girl, stop arguing against yourself. And very much stop assuming I'm some mad mare. I'm a smart cookie. Explain to me why I feel it's safe to let you go.” Quite naturally, perhaps without her knowing, Celestia had shifted into the role of teacher again. It was a familiar, pleasant feeling.

Taken aback, Sarin looked down and hummed in thought. Then she thought of a good idea. “Rather than tell you, your majesty,” she began, “may I show you?” The chains binding her jingled as she rocked on the balls of her feet.

“Hmm, I don't see why not,” Celestia mused, looking at her sister. “I hope you're going somewhere interesting with this.”

With a nod, Sarin Miles tipped back and fell to the floor. The royalty in the room and the many guards became confused, but leaned forward out of curiosity.

Over the following five minutes or so, Sarin Miles rocked, tumbled, and most importantly squirmed around in her vest of iron. She bent at impossible angles, many of them causing a guard or two to become ill. At one point Sarin debated dislocating her shoulder – a possibility she'd never contemplated so often in her life in rapid succession – but managed without the trick. The hardest part, and the one that almost caused the princesses to stop the entire display, was the process of compacting the hands to pull them through her shackles.

Needless to say, it was just as painful to perform as it was to watch. Okay, maybe not that painful. She was a professional.

Finally, Sarin rolled to her feet, stood up, and allowed the entire metal vestment to fall to the ground, pooling at her feet. She stepped out of it, stretching her hands out to either side. “...ta-da...” she said meekly.

The princesses stared wide-eyed. They said nothing for a great many seconds. More than a few guards, meanwhile, were both sickened and apprehensive about the display. Finally, Celestia ventured comment. “That certainly was...interesting to say the least...and what does this tell me about why I trust you free in Equestria?”

“Simple, your highness,” stated Sarin, stooping to pick up her discarded bindings. “I remained bound in these chains for a full week. I am also a contortionist. At any point, I could have removed these and attempt egress. I did not.”

Celestia mulled over the point. “Hmm, I see,” she said, rubbing her chin. “Go on.”

“If I could have escaped at any time, why wouldn't I?” continued Sarin. After a moment, she answered. “Because I had absolutely no need to be anywhere but here. I had no where to go, nothing to do. My people were long gone, rescue impossible. It was better, I thought, to stay where I was and mooch off your gracious 'hospitality' for so long as I could manage.”

“That, and because you were angry and stubborn, and couldn't allow yourself to be beaten by me,” Celestia added, grinning mischievously.

Sarin blushed. “Yeah...there's that too...” She kicked at the floor. “For what it's worth, I glad I stayed. And it also shows that I'm not a threat. I'd much rather be in a dungeon than amongst your insane subjects, your majesty.”

“Close enough,” Celestia smiled, giggling. Then when a guard came up beside her and whispered in her ear, Celestia said, “Speaking of insane subjects...there's a few ponies who just arrived that I think you'd like to meet.”

“Really?” said Sarin, visibly apprehensive. She looked away at the stained glass covering the walls. One of them depicted a familiar set of ponies. “It's not...”

“Oh it is,” Celestia nodded. “My best former student and her friends will want to see you personally. They do, after all, have vested interests in vetting you. Is that a problem?”

Sarin stared at the stained glass. She saw the six, the ones who wielded the Elements of Harmony (whatever those were). National heroes, saved the world multiple times. She saw Twilight Sparkle, sans wings in certain windows. So she'd originally been a unicorn, huh? She saw the onerous Pinkie Pie, bright...well, pink, and fluffy as cut glass could depict. There were three she only recognized in passing; Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy.

And then there was the abomination. Rainbow Dash. Sarin sighed. She clenched her fist, then let it relax.

All good things in time. Be patient for once in your life.

“Okay,” she said. “Send them in.”

One minute passed before the sound of flaps and clops and that horrific spring-like bouncing drew within earshot. Sarin shuddered, her every instinct honed over weeks to flee the scene and never look back. But no, she had to face them. All of them. She had at least something to say to all of them, more or less, but some would be harder than others.

When they walked into the throne room, the ponies assaulted Sarin's ears with their noise. They cantered over.

“There she is.”

“Well ah'll be.”

“What is she wearing?”

“Doesn't look so tough.”

“Hope the princess knows what she's do-”

“Ah ha! Got you Shy Spy! I win hide and seek!”

Sarin had enough. Before crossed to the half-way point, she kicked against the ground and shot forward. She stopped mere meters in front of them, throwing up a hand. “Stop!”

The whole lot of them ground to a halt, their voices knocked out. They were about to start their cacophony again, but Sarin said, “I'm very sorry. But if it would please the princess...” She looked back, and the curious Celestia nodded. “...I'd prefer to talk to each of you, one at a time, in the order of my choosing. And that you don't venture any comments or approach until it's your turn.” Sarin dropped her hand. “Is this acceptable?”

At first the utter alien nature of the request left the group dumbstruck, even the talkative ones. But – reluctantly in some cases – they nodded too.

“Good,” said Sarin. “First, Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Me?” said Twilight, pointing to herself nervously. Part of it was from being put on the spot, and part of it was being put on the spot by her alien stalker. But then she remembered she was talking with the best source for information on aliens. As such, she gave a tentative smile. “Okay...what do you want to talk about?”

Sarin paused, exhaling. “I want to apologize for what I did to you, Princess. I was in a hard place, still dealing with matters heavily personal. I broke into your home with the intent of stealing your books and ruining your research. And on at least two separate occasions I seriously contemplated murdering you.” That last statement elicited concerned gasps among her friends.

“Wait, two times?” said Twilight, pupils contracting.

“It's a long story. The point is I'm sorry.” She scratched the back of her head, before adding, “I'd also like to ask...since you apparently know more about research than anything, whether you could provide me with references to informative works in the Canterlot library that would help me learn about this world.”

If a formal, sincere-sounding apology wasn't enough to smooth Twilight's impressions, a formal request to help impart knowledge upon a willing student was too much. Twlight Sparkle lit up like candle. “Of course I can! There are so many books I can think of off the top of my head that could teach someone of your position about Equestria. Equestria Throughout The Centuries, Real Pony Politics, Magical Theory For Beginners, the Star Swirl Memoirs...”

“Yes, thank you,” Sarin cut in. “If you wouldn't mind compiling a list and sending it to me, I'd really appreciate it.” Luckily the mare seemed further elated by the prospect of making lists, and giddily allowed herself to be passed for the next person.

“Applejack?”

“Yes'm,” said the country mare. She'd allowed her Stetson to fall over her eyes just so she could peek out from it.

“You work on Sweet Apple Acres?”

“That I do,” said Applejack, tipping her hat. “Best apples in all of Equestria.”

“I know,” said Sarin. “I stole a number of them to eat. I needed food and your orchard was extensive. I'm sorry.”

Applejack got taken aback. “So it was you what were stealin' ma apples,” she said. Seeming to consider the point, Applejack shrugged. “Well, I reckon' if you was hungry and alone, I ought to excuse you on account a' charity.” She frowned, “but then again you did cause trouble for Twilight, and took a mighty long time apologizing to her. A jus' don't know.”

“If you want, I could return to Ponyville sometime and help around the place,” offered Sarin, reaching out a hand. “Work off the debt. I'm a very hard worker.”

The orange pony scratched her face, then took her hat off. “Eh, what the hay? You got yerself a deal!” She reached over with both forehooves and began vigorously shaking Sarin's hand. “Come around during applebuckin' season, we'll have plenty for you to do.”

“Thank you...now then.” Sarin turned to see who was next in line.

Of course Pinkie Pie bounced up and down excitedly, desperately trying to will herself as next. She contorted her face into horrifying grimaces.

The more Sarin could put her off, the better. “Rarity?” The pink one fell down, mane deflating.

“Oh yes!” the white, purple maned pony said, stepping forward gracefully. “Darling, dearie...uh...”

“Sarin.”

“Yes, darling, Sarin!” said Rarity, getting awfully close to the Fatae. “Now honey, don't be offended, because I really only mean well...but...your clothes look absolutely dreadful.” She stepped forward and pressed herself against the biped.

“My...my clothes?” The entirety of her momentum was ruined by the pretty pony. Sarin's whole plan was to halt the group by force of initiative and her own will, so as to prevent herself from being swarmed. The fashion designer had turned the tables in a matter of seconds. Sarin wasn't sure she could recover her advantage.

“Well of course, Sarin my dear,” said Rarity, batting the loose bottom of Sarin's shirt. “In addition to being drab and boring and uninspired, it looks like you've been wearing them nonstop for a week. If not a month! They're so filthy.” She shook her hooves at the offending garments.

“Well, that's kind of because I just did...”

“That shall not do!” Rarity declared, sticking her nose into the air. “I shall have to produce a new outfit – no!” She stopped herself, pointing up with a hoof and nosing even higher. “An entire wardrobe of clothes to fit your unique body and more unique colors.” She pulled Sarin's head down so she could get a closer look. “I should think blue for these lovely eyeliner marks. Or something to match those sunflower eyes of yours. And of course something to bring out the beauty of your pearly white skin.” The mare looked to be ecstatic.

Sarin's chest fluttered. “You...you don't think I look...freakish?”

Rarity gasped. “Oh my poor baby!” She hugged Sarin closely. “Sarin, you're a beautiful creature. You look like a work of art! Never let anyone tell you different!” That last was a rather forceful order.

Sarin felt close to tears. “...thank you. And thank you for the offer.” She hugged Rarity, receiving a tentative back pat once the mare got a whiff of Sarin's personal smell.

“Oh yes, you're welcome,” Rarity said cringing, her voice forced and tight to avoid that stench. “Just remember to take a bath, darling, before you come around for fitting.”

Disentangling the poor mare, Sarin moved to the next. “Fluttershy?”

“Oh come one!” said Pinkie Pie, huffing.

Fluttershy for her part just cringed. Sarin got the impression she'd been hoping to put off talking with the strange biped who kills beasts. “...uh...um...hello...?”

The effect was eerie. The Fatae could remember the kind of awkward, nonsocial feelings this girl likely felt all the time. To put her at ease, Sarin crouched down and walked on her hands and knees as she approached.

It seemed to do the trick, because Fluttershy's apprehension lessened enough to let the Fatae approach. “Um...so...?”

“Fluttershy.”

“Eek!” she said, jumping up. “...uh, I mean, yes?

Aside from the obvious logistical problems of dealing with this one, Sarin just didn't know how to approach the topics she wanted to discuss. “Well...you see...first...I...I'm sorry.”

“Uh, for what?” Fluttershy said softly. Her wings flapped a bit.

“For disturbing your animals,” Sarin explained. “Every time I traveled around your house, your animals would all freak out. And I wanted to say I'm sorry for the trouble.”

“Oh...um...apology accepted...” the yellow pony said. She smiled a bit.

“You know,” said Sarin, trying her least offensive smile. Enough to reassure, not enough to overwhelm. “When I was in the military, I never really got a chance to have a pet or interact with animals except occasionally in a work animal capacity. Do you think you could show me yours sometime?”

Most of her conversations were centered around apologies. That was how she'd planned things because she genuinely wronged most of the ponies there. But with Fluttershy, she genuinely never got a chance to be with animals. The thought of doing so – it sent warm, fuzzy feelings inside Sarin.

Fluttershy seemed to light up for a second, but then frowned. “Um, maybe that's not such a good idea...”

“...it's because of the Leucrota, isn't it?”

“Oh! Um...yes, a...little...”

“I'm sorry about that too,” said Sarin, looking pained. “It's true I killed it.” Fluttershy squeaked, but Sarin had a followup. “But when it was done, I couldn't feel satisfaction in doing so, even though it tried to kill me. All I could feel was this intense sadness. Like I did something wrong by it. What I'm saying is, I feel guilty about it.”

Fluttershy's attitude fluctuated here. She blinked, then frowned sympathetically. “Oh, it's okay. I forgive you.” She tentatively extended a hoof and gave a gentle pat on Sarin's shoulder.

“Oh, and the forest north of Ponyville where we fought had no animals in it besides the Leucrota.”

“Poor dear! No wonder he tried to eat you!” Fluttershy grew more bold, straightening up and allowing Sarin to rise to her feet. “Don't you worry, I'll try to see if there's any critters who would love to move there.”

“Thank you.” Leaving the yellow pegasus, Sarin turned towards the remainder, and realized she'd have to stop stalling and talk to them.

Lesser of two evils. Sarin pointed towards the rapidly bouncing pink blur. “Pinkamena Diane Pie?”

The explosion of confetti and balloons nearly knocked the soldier right on her back. “SHY SPY!” Pinkie shouted, wrapping her arms around the woman. “You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this day! So let me just say...tag you're it!” Pinkie poked Sarin in the chest with her hoof then ran out of the room.

...at least that was over.

“Oh by the way”

“Dah!” Sarin screamed, using celerity to flinch away as Pinkie appeared behind her.

“So Shy Spy...”

“Sarin!”

“So Shy Spy, you were in Ponyville for three. Whole. Weeks!” said Pinkie, saying the last three staccato style for emphasis. “And yet you neither went to a party or had a party! We have to rectify that immediately!”

The pink pony began rattling off a list of increasingly daunting party activities. Sarin for her part was shaken enough to create a sufficiently spy-like martini. “Uh, Pinkamena?”

“And then we could fill it with pudding and have a pudding wrestling match!”

“Pinkamena.”

“...with the glow sticks...”

“Pinkamena!”

Pinkie Pie stopped in her tracks. Literally, as she'd started running in circles, stamping ruts into the tiled floor. “What?”

Sarin smiled. “I'd love to have a party with you.”

“What?” said, well, every other pony in earshot.

“Really?!” asked Pinkie Pie, smiling expectantly.

“Really,” Sarin said. “When I was with the Empire, I never had any friends.” Sarin could almost hear the sound of hearts breaking in that room, there were so many gasps and statements of shock. “No one who would throw me a party or care if my birthday came and went.” Technically Sarin didn't have a “birthday”, being born from a tube, nor would the military who made her bother to celebrate it. “I think we got off on the wrong foot, and I'd like you to show me everything I've missed.” She smiled.

The pink one seemed to smile herself into tears. “Oh my gosh, you want me to? And I...ah!” Pinkie fell over, grinning stupidly. Fluttershy, to her dismay, was the one who had to catch her. Naturally it ended with Fluttershy pinned beneath a swooned dessert-lover.

Which just leaves one, thought Sarin. She turned around, staring at her. The abomination.

Rainbow Dash stood in the back, looking smug. “Well, it makes sense you'd want to save the best for last,” she said, shining her hoof on her chest.

I could murder you right now, Sarin thought, beginning her advance slowly.

“I mean, I'm the fastest flier in all of Equestria, and I'm not even bragging. What's that Applejack says? 'It ain't bragging if you did it'?”

Could run right behind you while you strut, snap your neck.

“If you're coming to get an autograph, I'm more than happy to. Got a pen?”

It would be easy.

“Hey you ever seen a Sonic Rainboom?”

Sarin engaged super speed and punched Rainbow Dash right in the face.

Everyone in the throne room, princess to guard to regular pony stared slack jawed as Rainbow Dash fell head over heels and landed on her back. As Rainbow regained her senses, her five friends ran in front of her. They were ready for a fight.

What they were not ready for was Sarin, standing stock still, tears rolling down her face.

Rainbow Dash took a second more to notice. “What's the big idea? What are you...huh?” Her angry scowl fell away, and her eyes grew wide.

Sarin sniffed, staring directly at the cyan pegasus. As Rainbow Dash remained sprawled on the ground, Sarin could look down on her most hated enemy. “When I first came to this world, I traveled in a flying dory. As we were coming down, you set off a sonic rainboom. It was beautiful...but it also interfered with the ship's ability to fly, and we fell like a stone. I managed to survive the crash. My two crew mates did not.

“Because of you, Rainbow Dash,” said Sarin Miles, tears rolling down her hard face, “two innocent, hard working men died. Their names were Friedhelm Sorchess and Aerix Bidd. I just wanted you to know that.”

And with that, Sarin walked right on past them. As she did, she looked down on her enemy, whose face betrayed the slowly dawning realization of what she'd done. Sarin didn't bother to stay for the full show.

She needed a bath. A nice, long bath.

Author's Note:

I think that's everything I wanted to put into this story. Might add another chapter to the end, might not. If I don't, this is the end of Marooned In Equestria.

Doesn't mean it's the end of Solar Sails. I've got plans.

Hope you enjoyed reading this crappy little story half as much as I enjoyed writing.

Comments ( 11 )

3769786 3773887 the absence of Humans here and the attitude of the Fatae makes me think of the Fatae as that kid who throws together a big posse and struts around school like he owns the place, and Humanity as the kid who sits at the edge of the yard and spends all day catching and killing small animals.

3780191 Basically yes. Except humanity in this case is less the kid at the edge, and more...

...well, that would be spoiling it.

3781309 Humanity is the more the theoretical overachiever in every aspect that all parents demand their children be, and as such is already a master of every single martial art, fighting style, is an Olympic rated sniper and athlete, and is getting rainbow triple s' on all their tests?

Right, finally finished this, and I'd just to say this: I laughed my ass off at the last part. Am I a bad person? Nah, I doubt it.

3785557 Nope. The problem is that saying it would spoil plans I have for way down the line (assuming I get that far). It fits with the schoolyard analogy, but actually saying it defeats the mystery.

All I can say is: you're thinking on too low level.

3786041 WE ARE THE FORERUNNERS, we brought them into this world and we can take them out just as easily if they displease us

3788697 Oh my God, how did you guess?

3788716 my superior inference powers

3788716 So humanity made the Fatae, eh? Doesn't really surprise me, probably a government not unlike the united states one probably tried to engineer humanity in perfect obedience, then some guy laughed manically whilst pressing a button labelled incinerate the government, and then the government went boom, and the Fatae wound up floating through space and landing on their homeworld?

3789230 Something like that.

I'm just going to ignore the entire thing about ships in the description and imagine sublight ships with biiiig lasersails and cryopods

Login or register to comment