• Published 16th Mar 2012
  • 995 Views, 46 Comments

Too Early, Too Late - Inkarus



How will the mane six teach Prairie Fire about friendship, and what will he teach them?

  • ...
2
 46
 995

Duality.

Although was much younger than the white mare at Pinkie's party, Rarity was nevertheless a blooming, cultured fashion designer in Ponyville with expensive tastes, and had been looking for something to spruce up the boutique she had just bought and moved into, away from her family.

"Oh my Celestia, this is PERFECT! Darling, you simply MUST tell me who the artist is of these GORGEOUS works of ART! I need one, I need one, I NEED ONE!" She squealed, her big fluttering eyelashes in Prairie's face. He was so taken aback that he nearly dropped her fabrics, but as soon as he felt his magic slip, gripped them desperately; He could NOT lose this opportunity.

"Well... You see, I.... Er, you know, I actually-"

"The artist?" A cool, collected voice coming from a tall, white, almost-mare interrupted him. "Why, Prairie Fire is the artist, right here. I'm the model." Fleur was suddenly beside him, striking a pose.

Rarity ignored her, eyes growing wide as she fixated on Prairie.

"YOU?"

He gave a sheepish grin, which faded and left him blushing and staring at his hooves. It was apparently contagious, however, as it was suddenly creeping over Rarity's face, who suddenly jumped at him. For a moment, time seemed to slow in his head; She was suddenly Applejack, there to deliver the blows he expected when she heard him ask Big Mac to model for him, and his blood went cold. He was thrust back to the present.
---
"-colts or mares is NONE'O MAH BUSINESS; What IS my business is mah little brother runnin' out one day and never seein' 'im again fer TWO YEARS just cuz we had a little disagreement! I was jist a little filly, I didn't know no better!"

Applejack was yelling, but the blame seemed to have lifted from him, to herself, and even the anger seemed to be fading. In its place was all the pain he had caused his 'older sister' for, as she had reminded him, two and a half years. He never let himself believe that he had any impact on the Apples. It was easier than facing the fact that he would miss her, and she would miss him; Easier to believe that the Apple family didn't exist, than to face the fact that all of them would be hurt by his absence. But here he was, faced with the evidence.
---
Time suddenly resumed, and Rarity was hugging him and squealing like a banshee, babbling about "outsider Art" and how she was going to be famous for "discovering young talent" and how he simply HAD to sell her some of his art, because a young colt starting off with THIS much talent would simply HAVE to be famous someday, and when he was famous, even his BRUSHES would be worth millions, much LESS an actual painting. And so, for the second time in his life, Prairie Fire barely escaped homelessness.

Rarity bought all six paintings he had created and a couple of the sketches he cautiously agreed to part with, and at a price that nearly caused him to faint. She asked where he was staying, and when he told her that he was staying at the leasehouse, it was HER turn to nearly faint.

"Oh, Darling, that nasty place? No no no no no NO! A talent like yourself simply MUST reside in a place matched to your worth!"

"Well, I don't want to live above my mea-"

"AH! I know the perfect place! Follow me!" And with that, she turned and pranced away ( And that pony truly did prance, by-Celestia), fabrics and newly acquired art floating above her haughtily.

He just stared, and for a moment, ached to sketch her. He shook his head free of the thoughts, and hurried after her, his own load now consisting only of a sketchbook and a few supplies. It almost made his heart ache to lose his first pieces of art so soon, but he was also relieved that he had been so lucky in selling them.
---
"Applejack, I don't..."

"Yeh don't WHAT?" She shot back bluntly, glaring at him. "Where've y'all even BEEN all this time? Granny Smith's been worried sick; Big Mac couldn't work fer a MONTH! We almost lost the gat-dang barn! How could y'all abandon yer family like that?"

Prairie Fire was struck again into silence. He was still reeling from the fact that she wasn't angry at him for propositioning her brother; But rather, for leaving. The one thing he thought he'd done right by them.