• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 2,950 Views, 230 Comments

The Lunatics - SpaceCommie



A traitorous spy. An amoral archaeologist. A cloudheaded Wonderbolt. A secretary in way over her head. Leading them into the changeling hive is Princess Luna. There will be no going back. And none of them are prepared for what they'll find there.

  • ...
7
 230
 2,950

Warmth

It was her voice, yes. Luna was reminded of her encounter with a machine Celestia had showed her, an elaborate mess of wires and tubes that would repeat a few seconds of sound. She had showed it to Luna—it must have been during the first few months of cautious rapprochement, of tentative trivialities. The machine was engaging, at least for the hour—repeating a scrap of song, say, or some ill-aged scrap of rhyme.

Luna had never quite been able to recognize herself in the voice coming from the machine, but then, neither was the face in the mirror every evening someone she knew. But this, the voice coming from below her—it was hers, surely, more so than even the voice from the machine, more than that face in the mirror.

“Comfortable?” the voice said, the voice that echoed her thoughts.

Luna said nothing.

“It doesn’t matter, of course.”

Luna sighed. “Then my response will be of little worth,” Luna said. “Chrysalis, I presume?” She pressed her face into the membrane—the wet warmth of it on her mouth—trying to peer down into the dark below her.

Chrysalis cackled. “That was quicker than I expected.”

There was no point to responding.

“It’s funny, really. I had no intention of revisiting Equestria. I know when to cut my losses, after all. It’s too bad that you decided to try this little stunt.”

Luna gritted her teeth.

“And now I have an alicorn princess all to myself!” Chrysalis said, her voice rising. “It’s just like—what is it, Hearth’s Warning? Like that.”

“You will get nothing from me,” Luna hissed. “I would rather die.”

“Eventually,” Chrysalis said. “I won’t always have use of you, after all. Good night.”

A faint green flash sparked across Luna’s body, and she slept.


Moonshine’s hooves slipped a little on the stone beneath her, polished smooth by hundreds of thousands of changeling feet and damp with the moisture that hung in the air. She exhaled, a sharp quick sound, and her horn went out.

It was completely dark.

She stopped running, stood still, gasped for air, and then tensed, channelling energy through her horn: it flickered on—and then off. “Oh, shit."

Soarin dropped down next to her. “I didn’t know you swore. Problem?”

Moonshine looked in his direction. “I cuss—yes on both counts. Soarin, I really hope that’s you.” She paused for a second, and her horn lit fitfully, and stayed on. “Oh, good. Hello, Soarin. Mind proving it?”

Soarin grinned weakly. “I like crayons?”

“Good enough for me. Do you think we got far enough away?”

Soarin sighed. “Uh, probably? Three or four miles?”

“Make up an answer that I’ll like,” Moonshine said.

“Yes, we definitely got far enough away,” Soarin said, sounding like he had repeated the line at gunpoint.

“Oh sol, we’re doomed,” Moonshine said.

“Hey!” Soarin said. “We are not doomed. We could still get out of this.”

“Do you even know where we are, Soarin?”

“Uh. No. But we’ll figure it out. Do you have like a compass or something?”

“Let me just check my pockets... oh wait,” Moonshine said.

“No pockets?” Soarin said.

“No pockets.”

“I don’t know why I was surprised,” Soarin said dully.

“You’re dumb,” Moonshine said. “Joke. Do you still have those energy bars?”

“Of course. Want one?”

Moonshine shrugged. “Beggars. Choosers.”

“Right. So...” Soarin reached towards his flightsuit. “Um... Not there... or there... definitely not there...” Something metallic rattled on the stone floor of the tunnel. “Oh crap, Spitfire will kill me if I broke my barometer... no...”

Moonshine poked at the metal gauge. “This is a barometer?”

“Yeah, for shows. Air resistance changes a little bit from place to place, you know?”

Moonshine tapped her hoof on the ground. “Please tell me it’s working.”

“Seven fifty even. So we’re, what, a thousand feet down?” Soarin gasped. “Oh sol, we’re a thousand feet down.”

“No, Soarin, this is great!” Moonshine said.

“No. No no no. this is not great. We’re like a mile down. This is terrifying. I want to go home.”

“I meant the barometer. We can use it to get out of here.”

“Uh... oh. That’s actually really smart.”

Moonshine beamed.

“So what, we just check every five to see if the air pressure is getting lower?”

“That’s the idea,” Moonshine said.

“It’s a good idea.”

“Why, thank you.”


As Spitfire was always quick to remind Soarin, sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is actually an oncoming train.

Soarin, hating both tunnels and trains, tended to respond to this suggestion about as well as having been told that overly enthusiastic pegasi would be devoured by packs of roving clowns. The actual lesson hadn’t stuck, of course. But it did come to mind from time to time.

The air was drier here, a steady, dusty draft coming from somewhere in front of him. “Moonshine,” he whispered. “Kill the light for a second.”

“Are you sure?” Moonshine asked. “Also, why are you whispering?”

“Humor me.”

Moonshine sighed, and her horn flickered out. They stood still for a second as the darkness reclaimed the space around them.

Soarin’s eyes darted around.

Moonshine yelped. “What was that?”

“Me, sorry,” Soarin said.

“You should be,” she snapped.

“Apparently.”

“Okay, well, this was fun,” Moonshine said. “And lights in three, two—”

“Wait a second. Do you see that?” Soarin said, gesturing—pointlessly—forward.

“It’s dark, Soarin, I can’t—well, I’ll be.”

There was a faint glimmer up ahead of them, just barely visible.

“You’ll be what?” Soarin asked. “I have some suggestions.”

“Shush. Get out the barometer,” Moonshine said, her horn lighting up again.

Soarin fumbled around with it for a second, Moonshine’s light glittering off the brass exterior. “Six fifty two,” he reported.

Moonshine nodded.

“So pretty low chances that it’s actually a bunch of changelings luring us in to be de-lovified,” Soarin noted.

“Bad joke.”

“They’re the only kind I have.”

“I’ve noticed.”

They walked along for a couple minutes, in near silence. The tunnel floor pitched up into a steep slope, with stone as smooth as if it had been polished. Soarin’s hooves scrabbled for purchase, without much success. He groaned. “Figures.”

“I don’t think we’re going to get much better luck,” Moonshine said.

“You never know,” Soarin said.

Moonshine pulled a face. “I kind of do,” she said, shining her light over what looked suspiciously like a cliff face.

“You’re kidding.”

Moonshine grimaced. “You can fly, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Then this shouldn’t be particularly complicated.”

“Hm.”

There was a scrape of something against stone in the darkness. “Not complicated now,” a voice said from behind them, sibilant, raspy. Moonshine spun around, her light faltering just a little as it revealed a changeling just a few yards away.

Soarin was in the air in a half-second, and on the changeling in another, colliding with a solid crunch. His leg rested comfortably on the changeling’s neck.

Well, comfortable for Soarin anyways, and very doubtfully so for the changeling. It gasped. “Stop.”

“Nope!” Soarin shouted. “Moonshine, zap him!”

Moonshine looked askance at Soarin. “Do what to him?”

“Zap him, with magic. Come on, he’s squirming a lot.”

“I can’t zap things!” Moonshine protested.

“What? Why not?”

“Friend!” the changeling shouted.

Soarin lifted off it. “What?”

The changeling sucked in air, pulling itself off the tunnel floor. “Friend. Case sent.”

“What?”

“He’s a friend,” Moonshine explained. “Somepony named Case sent him.”

Changelings can’t smile, but there was something in the changeling’s face that suggested that it was beaming at Moonshine.

“Oh,” Soarin said. “Who’s Case?”

Moonshine shrugged.

“Hard to tell. Easier to show,” the changeling said, extending a forelimb to Soarin’s forehead.

Soarin slapped it away. “No! No showing.”

The changeling looked faintly aggrieved.

Moonshine raised a hoof. “Um, maybe you could try explaining it?”

The changeling bobbed its head. “Can try, can try, though Equish is not good.”

Soarin nodded, letting just a little tension drain away. “Good.”

“Bad. Can’t speak in Equish. Makes slow. Hurts neck.”

“Well, do it anyways,” Soarin said.

“Yes,” the changeling said. It pointed at itself. “Friend. Case is also friend to ponies. And enemy of queen.”

“Chrysalis?” Moonshine asked.

The changeling hissed, exposing its fangs. Moonshine jumped back, nearly slipping. “Yes,” it said.

Soarin grinned. “Nice.”

“Come,” the changeling said. “Take you to Case. Case will help.”

Soarin glanced at Moonshine. She shrugged. “Good enough for me, and maybe they’ll help us find Luna and the others?”

“Good enough for you,” Soarin said, “good enough for me.” He turned back to the changeling. “Take us to your leader.”