• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 1,917 Views, 30 Comments

The Heart of Battle - Eagle



Ryu and the others must stop M. Bison from conquering Equestria

  • ...
6
 30
 1,917

Ryu Vs. Prince Blueblood

When Ryu came to, he was lying in a deserted alley. He had a rather irritating headache and much of his body was stiff and sore. He lay on the hard brickwork that covered the ground, groaning and shifting for some time before he finally stood up.

The first thing he found was that he could not remember anything. He attempted to recall how he got here or what happened, and nothing came about. He tried the most basic facts like his own name or the names of others he knew, and nothing came from that either. A case of amnesia had already set in deep, removing everything but the simplest details.

Accepting that he needed help, he turned and walked out of one side of the alley, hoping someone there would be willing to help him. The alley itself had been rather dark, and when he turned out of it his eyes squinted from the bright sunlight. From the sounds around him it seemed as if he was in a large, bustling city.

“Can anyone help me?” he asked in his native Japanese by instinct, eyes still adjusting.

There was no direct answer as the world around him seemed to stop. The sounds of movement and speaking and general commotion decreased to near nothing. He could hear a few mumbles and gasps, and what words he heard sounded to be English. Keeping a hand on his head to calm the headache, he tried asking again in English.

“Can anyone help me?”

This time he heard a few more gasps, and a low yell here and there. His eyes finally adjusted to the heavy sun and he slowly began to open them more and more. The more he opened them, the less blurred the figures were, and the more and more he noticed something was not right.

There was a massed wall of colors of varying kinds in front of him, shifting around a bit. Gradually he recognized each color to be a sort of creature. They looked rather short, not standing on their hind legs, but possessed four like a dog; they were small enough to be a large one, like a Great Dane. But a few seconds later he noticed they were not at all that. They looked more like small horses than large dogs, with some disturbingly human features to them, and all of them a different color.

“What?” he mumbled to himself. “What is this? What are these things?”

The crowd only seemed to shuffle about more as the seconds ticked away. In the murmur he could make out some of what they were saying, but not much. And what he did hear was not good. Words like ‘beast’ and ‘demon’ and other suggestions, followed by some rather threatening ideas.

“What are you!?” he called out loud again, this time heavy enough to try and break the commotion.

This time a small wave of panic finally took hold, with a good number of the crowd yelling from the sudden outburst, but keeping their place out of fear. Many others tried to run off, pushing through the mass to get away. A few others actually attempted to approach Ryu, though whether it was to help or hurt was not immediately known.

“Guards, seize that beast!” a voice shouted from the crowd.

“Yes sir!” a voice replied. “You! Stop right there! Stay where you are!”

Out of the crowd two large, white horses appeared and advanced towards him. Their armor seemed to be entirely golden, which told Ryu that they might be some kind of elite or special unit, rather than regular police; though he could not be sure, seeing as how he was facing an entirely new race. Both possessed spears, which were lowered and pointed at the human as they neared.

Ryu was conflicted over what to do. On one hand they could speak his language, so maybe if he surrendered they would be able to help him. Though on the other hand, he was currently facing an odd new place that probably ran differently, and the hasty classification of ‘beast’, along with their Guard’s menacing advance with their weapons, pushed him in the resistance direction a bit more than usual.

He quickly decided to do whatever his body did first on instinct, and the first thing his feet did was turn and start running back down the alley he came from. The two guards shouted more commands and followed, though he paid them little mind. He continued down the straight darkness of the alley to the other side, only to find another horse guard waiting for him there.

This one also had a spear sticking out towards him, and looked rather eager to use it. Again, Ryu was unsure what to do, but he could not stop running. Again, he let his body run on its own, hoping it would do something to get through.

To his luck, Ryu’s reflexes were still sharp, even if his memory was gone. As the stallion stuck the spear out, waiting to impale the runner, the human did a short leap off the ground with his right foot, hopped over the spear, landed on the guard’s helmet with his left foot, and use that to propel him even further into the air, far over and past the stunned guard.

In truth, Ryu was just as surprised as the guards were. The amnesia cloud blanketing his mind was so thick that he could barely remember the absolute basics. The ability to do something like this was far from what he could bring up. Indeed, doing it seemed to jog his memory a bit, and for a minute he thought he had something.

Any trace of whatever that something was ended when he was hit in mid-air by something flying fast. He crashed down onto the street below in a heavy daze, and found himself pinned. Coming to his senses, he saw the object the tackled him was a winged horse, who was also keeping him pinned. Before he could throw that guard off, the others swarmed around him, helping to pin him to the ground.

He struggled hard to try and get free, but it was too no avail. Thankfully the guards did not execute him immediately, though they kept their weapons pointed at him constantly. Still, it was better than dying on the spot there.

“Well, what’s this?” a pompous voice asked. “Some odd ape escaped from the jungle?”

“We’ve captured the creature, Prince,” one of the guards replied.

"And what is this creature?”

“Not sure, I don’t think any of us have seen anything like it,” the guard replied. “It can talk though, maybe we should ask it.”

“Well of course I’m going to ask it, you cretin! What do you take me for, some fool!?”

“No, not at all,” the guard replied grudgingly. “My bad, my Prince. I’m sorry.”

“Quite,” the Prince replied.

Ryu looked up to see the soldier’s apparent commander, the ‘Prince’ that had been speaking. He certainly looked the part, being pure white with a rather ornate hair style, being long and flowing, with a large deal of work and time obviously being put into it. His head was still being held against the ground, forcing him to watch the figure from a sideways view.

“Speak beast, what are you?”

“I’m a man!” Ryu responded, with half his mouth still shoved against the ground.

“A what?”

“A person! A human!” Ryu coughed out. “Please, I’m not trying to hurt anyone! I just want some help!”

“Hmph, I have never heard of such an animal before in my time. How can I trust something like you, especially in my presence?”

“I am not armed,” Ryu replied, taking his time and calming down. “And your troops captured me, didn’t they?”

“They did indeed,” the Prince replied. “It’s surprising; they usually cannot even stop common riff-raff.”

“You mean the ponies that don’t immediately bow when you walk around,” another guard scowled.

An evil look came over the Prince's face, one that looked as if it had been threatened. He quickly got in the guard's face. The guard, in contrast, changed his tone from one of minor irritation to a kind of fear. He looked as if he faced the end of the world, or his world at least, right in front of him.

“Silence!” the Prince yelled. “You serve me, remember that! I will deal with you later!”

“Of course, my Prince,” the guard sighed, grateful of how lucky he was.

“Please let me out,” the human begged again.

“Well you do seem harmless, though I have no real need for you,” The Prince replied.

“No need? Why would you need me? I only wish for help.”

“Why should I help something that cannot repay me? It would be such a waste,” he replied. “Though perhaps there is something I am not seeing. Stand up.”

The guards released their grip and let the man stand up. They kept their weapons trained on him, though in a noticeably less hostile way than before. Standing up to stretch, the man towered over all of the beings around him. And now being able to see fully without half of his face crammed onto the Earth, he also noticed that the Prince, and some of the others, had horns on their heads. He was certainly not on his own planet.

“Hm, interesting; it stands on its hind legs,” the Prince examined. “You are certainly unique. Perhaps there is something I can use you for.”

“And… what would that be?” Ryu asked cautiously.

“I seem to have been forgotten a bit by my ponies, as astonishing as that may seem,” the unicorn Prince explained. “The discovery of a new, alien beast should remind them of my importance.”

“So you wish to use me as a trophy?” Ryu asked. “Something to get you attention?”

“For one who deserves it, of course. My reputation has been in decline ever since it was unfairly soiled at the Gala. No doubt this will restore it!”

“I’m afraid I still don’t understand,” the man replied. “Sorry if I’m still confused over how things work around here, but isn’t that a little selfish?”

“What!? Do you not know who I am!?”

“No, I don’t know anyone from here.”

“I am Prince Blueblood! A royal over these common ponies!”

Ponies? Odd, but that answers one question,” Ryu thought.

“And who are you, beast!?” Blueblood angrily replied.

“I can’t remember my name,” the man admitted.

“Well, what about a profession?”

“I can’t recall.”

“And you dare criticize me,” Blueblood huffed. “A beast who is also a useless vagabond.”

Ryu was becoming increasingly irritated by Blueblood’s arrogance, but he did not know any other people, or ponies, in the world.

"Right, sorry. Would you mind explaining how a few more things, Blueblood; mostly just about how your world works?”

“Prince Blueblood, you beast!” the unicorn snarled back. “And yes, but this is hardly the place to do so. And all this excitement has left me parched. Do you drink any, beast?”

“Sometimes, though I really don’t feel like it right now. I would much rather try to remember who I am.”

“Suite yourself then, but I am going. One of my favorite taverns is around the corner,” Blueblood replied. “Come!”

Ryu did so reluctantly, tailing Blueblood slightly, and trying hard not to make too much attention. The guards also followed, though he could tell that they were in no mood to deal with the Prince any more than he was. It must have been especially horrible to have their position, as he could not imagine having to deal with such an overbearing individual.

The man was glad the establishment was only around the corner, for the minute they ran into the populace again, more ponies began to panic. Once they saw he was doing nothing to harm anything, they began to calm down, though it was not enough to actually go up and speak to him. And of course, Blueblood took the credit for it, claiming that he alone had ‘discovered’ the ‘beast’ and kept him under control.

The tavern looked just what Ryu thought a tavern looked like, or at least what first popped into his head when he heard the word. It was large and almost entirely wooden, and the inside was decorated with many an oil painting, and the body of it was carved out to look very upper-class looking. The Prince had an entire section cleared out, and dragged him over to a table while the guards kept watch.

“Anything you want?” Blueblood asked. “Ale, wine maybe?”

“I really don’t want anything,” the human replied.

“Fine, beast; you probably just cannot afford anything.”

“I probably don’t have any of your currency,” Ryu admitted.

And I hope you don’t expect any from me, animal,” Blueblood replied, getting his first drink.

“I’ve got a name, you know; it’s not just ‘animal’.”

“And what is it?”

The human stopped again; he knew he could not remember, so he just stared angrily at the Prince.

“Exactly. You did not have one earlier, and you don’t have one now,” Blueblood mocked, taking a long swig of ale. “And that’s what you’ll be until you have one; a beast on my leash.”

It was after that that Ryu simply tuned the arrogant unicorn out, ignoring most of his insults. Most of the time Blueblood simply bragged about himself, or whined about what had happened to him, mostly over how he was publicly embarrassed at some large party a while back, as he had said earlier. Explaining one time was never enough for him.

Out of the cluster of words that Blueblood spurted out over the progressive hours, Ryu was able to pick out only a precious bit of useful information. He learned that the country he was in was called Equestria, and that they were in its capital city of Canterlot; names that seemed to fit its population of ponies. He also learned that there were a number of other intelligent species, though he failed to get a real list of them. Beyond that there was nothing.

More time passed and Blueblood became more and more drunk, and started making less and less sense. Ryu tried to focus on remembering anything about his past, but could not come to any real conclusion. Most of what came up were blurred pictures of people and things that he could not add names to. It felt akin to having a tune stuck in one’s head, but not remembering much beyond one or two words.

“W-weeell?”

“Hm?” Ryu asked, being awaken from his deep thought by an inebriated Prince.

“A-a-are you… ready… to leave… animal?” Blueblood asked between hiccups and burps.

“I suppose,” The human replied.

"Good, cause we gotta go to the you… and the thing you’re going to… and then that… thing.”

“What?” Ryu asked, now trying not to chuckle at the foolish looking unicorn. “You may have had too much to drink.”

“I am f-fine!” he yelled. “C-come beast and… uh.”

Ryu started laughing a good deal now, much to Blueblood’s chagrin, though he did not respond to it. Ryu followed Blueblood and his guards outside of the tavern, and could not help but notice that no one paid the bill, nor did anyone bring it up. He hoped that something had been given to the owners, though he knew it was not likely.

As he stepped outside, Ryu was a little surprised to notice that it was nearing nighttime, with the sun setting. There were only a few residents out and about at this time, taking care of some last minute errands. He could not help but wonder where the Prince was going to take him, and started to wonder just how bad his friends could be, if that was what was intended.

Just like that, a million scenarios jumped out of his head, each worse than the last. Was he going to a zoo maybe? What would he eat then? Would he be executed for some reason? Would he ever be able to remember who he was, or anything about him at all?

“That’s her!”

Again, the man was broken from his thoughts.

“Who?”

“Her!” Blueblood snarled. “The mare that… that made me look like such… such a fool at the Gala!”

Ryu looked across the street where the prince was staring, and noticed a single other pony in that direction. It was another unicorn, also very white, and whose hair also seemed fancy. She did not seem to be bothering anyone; merely walking out of a store where she seemed to be doing some shopping.

“You wait here,” Blueblood ordered, now quite sober, “I’m going to deal with her.”

“Hey wait! What do you mean ‘deal with her’?” Ryu called.

The Prince did not look back, marching angrily across the street and yelling unrecognizable threats. The other pony did not seem to notice him, even when he had moved close enough to practically be on top of her. It was very obvious as to what he planned, but that was not what worried Ryu. What stunned and worried him was that none of the guards moved to try and stop him.

“What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be stopping him? Isn’t that your job?” he asked.

“Our job is to protect him, not so much others,” the nearest replied grimly. “Intervening could cost us our jobs, and that’s if we’re lucky.”

Ryu heard a scream, and turned to see Blueblood raise a hoof and send it towards the pony, striking her in the side of the neck and causing her to fall to the sidewalk.

“Fine, then I’ll do something!” the fighter said.

Again, he was not sure exactly what to do, so Ryu followed his instincts again, charging across the street. Just as the Prince was preparing to send another hoof punch onto the collapsed mare, he was tackled into the side of the shop’s brick wall by the human. Both fell back from the impact, with Blueblood falling onto Ryu, who in turn stuck a foot into his stomach, caught his upper body in his hands, and launched him backwards into the street.

Getting up, Ryu suddenly noticed something. That one action seemed to jog his memory a little bit, as some pieces of the puzzle fell into place. His mind was still blurred, but a few important pieces of information had suddenly been yanked out.

“What are you doing beast!?” Blueblood yelled.

The man replied by snapping into his combat stance, separating his legs a bit, and keeping his fists close to his body.

“I am no beast, my name is Ryu. And you’re not hurting anyone!”

“Fine then, I’ll end you as well!” the Prince snarled.

Again, Blueblood charged forward, trying to impale him with his horn. Ryu rolled to the right and out of the way, just barely being missed. He followed this with a fast jab into the stallion’s side, sending him back a bit, but not by much.

Blueblood, in turn, shot a punch that hit Ryu in the right shoulder, but did no real damage. He tried again with his other hoof, only to be blocked. Before he could try again, Ryu counter-attacked with three fast punches into the chest, leaving him in some serious pain. Before the Prince could react to the recent attack, Ryu performed a low sweep kick, knocking all four of his legs out from under him and sending him onto the ground.

With his opponent on the ground, Ryu turned around to help the pony he had hit earlier. She seemed a mostly scared, but the area she was hit in did not show any bruises, and there were no other injuries he could pinpoint. She opened her eyes into a slight squint, and then shot open when she saw what was over her.

“Don’t worry, you’re safe. Are you alright?” he asked.

Before she could answer, there was a flash from behind him and a burning sensation. Ryu flew forward a bit and rolled on the ground, his back in pain. Looking back up, he saw Blueblood standing angrily, horn glowing from an apparent attack.

“You think you can defeat me!?” he yelled. “I will blast you into dust!”

The unicorn fired another ball of energy, forcing Ryu to roll out of the way. Gaining his footing again, he readied for whatever attack came next. Surprisingly, it came with Blueblood picking him up with his magic, and throwing him farther down the street.

Ryu again stood up, this time a bit more slowly. Blueblood’s horn glowed brightly, and from it came a long, solid beam aimed at the fighter. Reacting quickly, Ryu, rather than dodge left or right, jumped up and over, towards Blueblood. As the beam passed under him, Ryu judged the distance between his and his target.

As the distance finally closed, Ryu stuck his right leg out and began turning into a Tornado Kick. The Prince was caught off guard, and Ryu’s foot landed three solid hits on the left of his head in the space of about two seconds. Ryu landed from the move on his two feet, while Blueblood crashed onto the sidewalk hard. Looking over the unicorn, the human confirmed that he was finally unconscious.

The fighter took a couple of deep breaths, and immediately walked back to the lady he had struck, still on the ground, and curled up in a ball. He patted her on the head gently to let her know she was safe. She looked up, and seemed rather surprised to see her rescuer again.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

It took her a few seconds for her to realize what had happened and respond.

“Y-yes, I’m fine,” she replied shakily as the man helped her to her feet. “I can’t thank you enough dear; I never expected him to go that far. Perhaps I should have.”

“Why did he want to hurt you, exactly?” Ryu asked.

“He’s held a grudge against me since our little… date,” she said in a tone of disgust. “For a prince, he certainly does not act like one.”

“Trust me, I know,” Ryu sighed. “I’m just glad I stopped him before he could hurt you.”

“And I couldn’t be more thankful,” she replied. “My name is Rarity, just so you know. And if I heard you right, yours is… ri… ru…”

“It’s Ryu.”

“Of course, sorry,” Rarity replied. “I’m not used to such names, I’ve never heard of such a name.”

“I can tell,” Ryu chuckled over the mispronunciation. “I just wished I hadn’t had to beat up the only thing in this world that knows me.”

“I knew you weren’t from around here,” she replied. “Well, no need to worry, dear. You put your life in danger to save me, and I will more than happy to repay you.”

Ryu’s spirits lifted to a new height; this was the kindest pony he had met since he got here.

“Thank you so much!” he said. “Can you help me find my way back home?”

Rarity put her hoof to her chin, pondering her options for a moment.

“I’m afraid I can’t help you myself, darling, but I do know someone who can.”

“Is he nearby?”

“She, and yes, she is close to here,” Rarity replied. “Just be happy that you ended up in Canterlot, and you were able to save me. Not many ponies personally know Princess Celestia.”

"A princess?” Ryu asked, a little surprised.

“Yes, and the ruler of our nation,” Rarity explained. “She’s probably your best hope.”

“That’s great! Let’s go!”

Before Ryu and Rarity could get going, one of the guards walked over to the two. At first Ryu was worried about being arrested; he did just beat up royalty, after all. Did he get a true chance just to get shot down? Either way, he felt he had done the right thing, and would not deny it.

“Hey, I just wanted to let you know that we… weren’t really watching, so to say,” the guard said with a smug grin.

“Thank you,” Ryu replied with a smile.

“Are you ready to go, darling?” Rarity called.

“Right, coming!”

Author's Note:

Be honest, I kind of want to make this a tribute to the Fighting is Magic game, at least I think it deserves it. It's a fine piece of tribute fan work, and it's unfortunate that it fell prey to (in my opinion) a rather poor decision, and some bad luck. It makes me rather disappointed, be honest.

Thanks for reading, anyways. Let me know what you think. If you see anything that may have been missed during editing, or anything that could be changed. please inform me and I'll see about fixing it ASAP. Thank you again!