• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 8,456 Views, 557 Comments

Guardian of the Everfree - KaBar42



When a Marine gets sent to Equestria, he discovers a dark and ancient secret in the Everfree.

  • ...
40
 557
 8,456

Meet the Parent. Part 1

Guardian of the Everfree
Chapter 9

I decided that today, I was going to have to find a source of water closer to the castle. I had so far only been in that main room of the castle. There should be a courtyard though, and there is usually a well in courtyards. I began sweeping the room for a back door. And I found one. In the way back, by the thrones, there was a door. A rotting wooden door, but a door none the less.

Walking up to it, I put my ear against the door. I didn't want to kick open a door that leads to a den of those lion-bat-scorpion things. I didn't hear anything moving behind it. I put my foot against the door, and kicked. The rotting wood giving away almost immediately. I was greeted by a very beautiful sight.

You know the secret garden from the video game "Shadow of the Collosus"? That was nothing compared to this. I wouldn't be hard pressed to call this the Garden of Eden. There were trees of every kind here. Apples, and figs. Thats all I can name. In the center of the garden was a small… well. It was flat, and there was a small pool, about three feet deep. Guess I have a new water source. I walked to the well and bent down. The water looked clean. Perfect in fact.

I dipped my hand in the pool and took a sip. Whoa. That was some of the best water that I have ever tasted. Honestly though, now that I look at this place, it seems extremely out of place compared to the decrepit castle walls that surrounded it. And in that small moment of thought, I realized something. I fucking stink. That and it was getting a little… red in the crotch area. I shouldn't have slept in my pants. I decided that I would head back out into the forest and bathe.

Picking myself up, I headed back to the main hall. I didn't feel the need to eat, the squirrel meat having filled me up well last night.

As I walked back into the main hall, I noticed something. On the TARDIS box, there was a full sized shovel. Why a shovel? Well, old tardy hasn't failed me yet. I grabbed the shovel as I passed by tardy, yes I named it, problem? And let my AK rest on my chest as I walked out of the hall and crossed the bridge. How that bridge seems to be able to take so much weight, I will never know.

I headed into the treeline. Wondering what the shovel could be for. Digging a latrine? Maybe, the flies were getting closer. As I was thinking something, a sound hit my ears. It was a dog barking. Wolves bark, but not like dogs. Something seemed to urge me to the dog. So I ran, as quickly as my legs would carry me. I eventually arrived to a clearing. There are alot of damn clearings in this forest. I could hear the dog barking much more strongly now. I cleared the treeline, and what I saw made me want to vomit.

Now, I was no stanger to dead bodies. I helped clear quite a few areas before. But I had never seen a badly decomposed body. On my left flank about fifty meters away was a dead man. A dog was in front of him looking to my right flank while also barking. To my right flank about thirty meters away was a pack of those timberwolves. They were slowly encroaching on the dog, and I decided to act before I lost the dog. I dropped the shovel, fell to one knee, sighted the rifle and fired a burst. The first wolf fell, and the others looked around in confusion. I fired three more burst and three more wolves fell. The pack, which was only five strong was decimated. The fifth wolf, finally having gotten a lock on my position, charged me. I finished it off with a burst to the head. I dropped the mag and reloaded. Chambering a round, and then allowing it to rest on my torso.

The dog was still growling at me. "Heel!" I commanded, the dog continued. I was puzzled, until I remembered that they train the dogs in German. Fuck. Recalling my highschool German classes, which I failed by the way, I tried my luck.

"Ferse!" The dog didn't back down. Fuck, I must have pronounced it wrong. I tried it two more times, each a failure. On my third time, the dog stopped. The word came out something like "fezza". The dog immediately plopped itself into a sitting position. With it's tongue hanging out and looking at me expectedly. I walked up to her, a german shepherd, giving her chin a scratch. She had body armor on, and a leash. The body armor had a… SEAL's symbol on it? I checked her collar. It read, "Moira, Aaron Reyes". So her name is Moira? Meaning beloved. Huh.

I moved onto the man. His body was in a badly decomposed state. His uniform had SEAL tags on them as well. Steeling myself, I reached into his shirt, in the neck area. While thanking the good Lord that my hands were gloved, and pulled out the his tags. They read: Aaron, Reyes, T, and the rest of the tag was issue stuff. I got down to his religion. It read "Protestant". I claimed his tags. It was disturbing to say the least. Not even a few days ago and I thought that I was the only Human on this fucked up planet. But here is a man. Albeit a dead one.

My mind began to wonder, what brought him here? Was it the same thing that brought me here, whatever that may be. How did he die? He has a rifle and an entire vest of mags. And Moira seemed fine. I couldn't see any obvious predation marks. It couldn't be a coincidence that two actice service members of the same country were pulled to the same planet. If it wasn't for the decomp, he probably would have looked like he was just laying down. Maybe he died when he was pulled to the planet. No, that can't be it. I would have died as well. What fucking killed him! I'm probably never going to find out. Its time for me to pay my respects to a brother in arms that lost his life while sering his country.

I would have to bury this man. I looked to Moira and found her leash. I followed her leash back to the SEAL's pants. Her leash was carabinered to his front left belt loop. I unhooked the carbiner and attached it to my pants. I walked back to where I dropped the shovel. Moira following behind me. I grabbed it and headed back to Aaron. I began digging about three meters to Aaron's side. Moira was waiting patiently beside me. After about two hours of digging, I had gotten deep enough.

I waled over to Aaron, and grabbed him by the shoulders of his shirt. I pushed his feet into the grave first and as slowly as possible, I lowered the rest of his body into the grave. I rested his head on the ground. I picked the shove back up and filled in the grave. When I was done, I threw the shovel away. I didn't want look at it.

I fell to the ground. I started crying. Maybe it was the stress. I had been tossed into an alien world, and I may never see my family again. The people I knew, my friends. My parents and my sister, my girlfriend. Going through basics wasn't this bad. Maybe the only Human on this Godforsaken planet! And not lying more than ten feet away was another Human. But he was dead, one of the few connections and he was dead! Maybe I should just let Moira go and put a bullet in my brain.

I felt something nuzzle up to me. I looked up and saw Moira. She was laying up against me, looking up at me with her ears laid flat against her head. I put my arms around her neck."Moira, I just want to go home," I whispered. "I just want to go home and see Mom and Dad again. See Dana and Gina again. I'm scared, not of this world, but of being Aaron. He died alone with no one to bury him, or pay him respects." I sobbed out. "He only had you, and all you could do was protect his body from scavengers."

I eventually somehow managed to cry myself to sleep. Somehow, in the middle of a dangerous forest, I cried myself to sleep.

The night was peaceful.

(-)

My eyes opened, suddenly. I looked around, trying to gain my bearings. I pushed myself up. It was complete darkness surrounding me. I tried walking, but that got me nowhere. I'm pretty sure I was dreaming. A voice suddenly spoke to my left.

"It is nice to finally see you in person, Dante." The voice stated.

I swirled around, only to see… nothing.

"Why are you so afraid, Dante?" The voice said behind me.

I twisted to the back, nothing was there.

"Show yourself!" I commanded.
"Do you not remember me, Dante?"The voice asked from everywhere.
"I will not hold a conversation if you do not show youself!" I yelled.
"Fine, no need to get angry, Dante."

A fog began materializing in front of me. It was extremely unnerving. The fog slowly formed into an equine form, and then the form of a white winged unicorn. She was atleast a foot taller than I was. Looking more like a Terran horse than the Equines of this planet did. Her mane was red, and her stifle mark was an… inkpot?

"Who the Hell are you?" I asked.
"I am Faust, and I was the one that brought you here, Dante."

Author's Note:

Right, so, Dante's descent into madness? :pinkiecrazy:

No, but he finally cries while talking to a dog, so, maybe? And here we introduce Faust, who is she? What does she do?

You all already know who the hell she is, so stop asking me!

I was having trouble getting this chapter to progress, so I apologize for the delay.

If you like this chapter or favorite this story, please leave a comment explaining why.
Same if you didn't like this chapter, or disliked the story. Please leave a coment explaining why.