• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 933 Views, 16 Comments

In a Coma and Flying High - Magical Trevor



How do you discern dreams from reality? Fact from fiction? You wake up in a strange new world, with next to no memories. Everyone you meet tells you this world is real, but your dreams say otherwise. Which are you supposed to believe?

  • ...
2
 16
 933

Chapter the Third

“-and since I’ve never seen you before-”

Oh. My. God. Does she ever shut up?! Seriously, she’s just been going on and on and on ever since she tried to give you a heart attack! She failed murder attempt number one, and now she’s on number two? Death by talking. That’s a new one.

Wait… what the heck is ‘God’, that you’re swearing by it? Shouldn’t you be swearing by uh… think. You know it starts with a t...

“So I’ll see you there okay bye!” the pink menace says, before running off. Finally! Now if only-

“Wait a second,” she says, popping back in front of you.

Gah! Will she ever stop doing that?!

“Nope!” she answers cheerfully, before narrowing her eyes. “You’re not one of those meanie-head McGrumpy pants chicken kitties, are you? Huh? Well are ya, punk?”

A… chicken kitty? You think about it for a second, before concluding that, while very basic, that was a fairly accurate description for what you looked like. Except that chickens aren’t blue. Or cats.

“Hey! Don’t be a meanie head!” the foal on your back pipes up, resting her forehooves on your head. “He’s a nice blue chicken kitty! He’s gonna take me on a real gryphon-back ride, so be nice!”

“Oh really?” the pink pony asks, thrusting her head into yours.

You nod, though you’re quick to add that you have to remember how to fly first, but yes, you will take the foal on a ride.

“Oh my gosh! You mean you don’t remember anything?” the pink pony exclaimed, her eyes growing abnormally wide. “Your name, your favourite kind of cake, anything?”

You shake your head before shrugging, not entirely sure why knowing your favourite kind cake is important, but what do you know? Oh, right… Nothing. Derp derp. Oh hey, look, a muffin!

“Here,” the pink pony says, offering a blueberry muffin to you. “You need a cheering up snack more than I do. Oh! I know! You should totally go and talk to Twilight! She’ll know a super duper spell that’ll get your memories back and then you’ll know your name and then you’ll know-”

Oh no. No, no, no, nonono! You are not going to let her start rambling again! You have to escape! Gotta look around, have to find a-

There! You’re passing an open door! Dive in and slam the door! Success!

“E-hem. Can I help you?” a feminine voice inquires, clearing her throat gently.

“Hai Miss Rarity!” the foal says from your back. You can’t see her, but you guess that she’s waving energetically, since she’s swaying back and forth slightly on your back. “We’re runnin from Pinkie Pie!”

That’s her name? The pink you can understand, but pie? Why was she asking you about your favourite cake when her last name is pie? That doesn’t make much sense.

“Well, I just ask about cake first, because I’ve noticed that most ponies actually like cake a lot more at parties, so I just start with cake for that, and also because starting with pie just because it’s in my name would be kind of vain, and ponies-”

For the love of… How did she get inside already?! And she’s… drinking tea? Wait, how did Ditzy beat you too? Is there some sort of time bubble around this house or something?

“Pinkie dear, you’re overwhelming our uh, guest,” the white unicorn said, tugging the pink pony back to the tea table.

You look to see who else is there, and see Ditzy holding a teacup, a light blush on her face as she looks at you, before turning away again to face a purple… Huh. She has a horn and wings. What the heck is she?

“I beg your pardon?” the purple pony asks, raising an eyebrow.

You can feel your face heat up as you realise something. You just said that last thing out loud, didn’t you? Luckily, the foal on your back isn’t even phased by the awkwardness abounding in the room, speaking up without hesitation.

“Hai Miss Twilight! This is Chicken Kitty! He losted his memories, so we need you to help him find them. Have you seen any lying around? I think they might be, ah, blue, like his feathers.”

“Don’t be silly, Dink, they’d clearly be silver, like his eyes,” Ditzy counters, taking a nibble on a scone. “Oh wow! These are really good, Rarity!”

“Well thank you, darling,” the white unicorn replies, bouncing the bottom of her hair with a hoof. Okay, so the white one is Rarity, and the purple one is Twilight. Oh! Like when… Okay, you were starting to get it now. Ponies are named after physical aspects. So that means… white is a rare fur color, maybe? Dinky is smaller than normal, maybe? And Ditzy is-

*Crash*

“Um, sorry! I’ll clean it up,” Ditzy apologises, her face reddening as she grabs a brush and a pan.

Well, at least your name theory is mostly correct, though being accident prone isn’t exactly being ditzy, but whatever. That’s just semantics.

“I don’t know,” Pinkie says, tapping her chin with a hoof. “He looks more like a creame-colored memory guy to me.”

At this point, you don’t give a flying feather what color they are, just so long as they’re found, dangit! What does it take?!

“Oh, sorry darling, I didn’t mean to forget you,” Rarity says, interrupting your internal ranting. “Would you care for some tea and biscuits?”

Tea? Oh, well that would depend if it’s Earl Grey, Chai, or some other flavour.

Rarity blinks before smiling a bit wider. “Earl Grey, of course. Cream or sugar?”

You ask for some cream, before thanking her for her hospitality. It’s only been who knows how long since you’ve had a good cup of tea.

“Sadly, that’s more true than you think,” Ditzy says, sighing. Her ears droop as she continues, “You know, with the amnesia. Is there anything you can do to help, Tw- er, Princess Twilight?”

Wait a second. Princess Twilight? She’s a princess? Then why are you getting flashbacks to a weird, shadowy thing with a hand for hair? Must be something wrong with your memories. Err, aside from the amnesia, that is.

The purple pony huffs, before taking a sip of tea to calm herself. At least, you assume it’s to calm herself. It’s one of the reasons for drinking tea, after all. Aside from the delicious taste, that is. “Ditzy, what do I have to do to get ponies to just call me Twilight, like before?”

Wait, the princess thing was new? How the heck does that work? Aren’t you born into it? And why the heck does she have a horn and wings? Does that make her a unisus? A pegacorn? A unipegacorn? A pegicornisus?

Ugh. Why does everything have to be so complicated?

“Because if everything were easy, life would be pretty dull, wouldn’t it?” the pink pony pondered aloud, grinning at you. “When things are complicated, it makes you think!”

Like figuring out how the heck she knew what you were thinking?

Pinkie only laughs as your question. “Nopey-mopey! You’re just really easy to read! So what’s confusing you? Twilight? Well duh. She’s an alicorn, silly! You know, like Celestia and Luna?”

You blink, looking from pony to pony, ignoring the menace on your back that’s been spreading crumbs all over your coat and feathers. Who’s Celestia and Luna?

Everypony stops what they’re doing and stare at you. Great. You can tell that this conversation is going to take quite awhile...

Author's Note:

Sorry it's a little short. Had trouble writing today, so I ended it where I was comfortable with ending it. Hopefully tomorrow's chapter will be a little longer. Thanks for your patience, though! Awesome Games Done Quick '14 was amazing! Here's to the future of this story!

Are you EVER going to get a name, you ask? Maybe... Maybe...