• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 4,723 Views, 27 Comments

The Rainbow Connection - Locomotion



As Rainbow Dash prepares for one of the most important chapters of her life, she looks back over some of her fondest memories with Soarin.

  • ...
5
 27
 4,723

Chapter 8: The Wedding

“The following day, Soarin and I announced our engagement to all our friends including our fellow Wonderbolts. A week later, of course, we had the whole fiasco with Scootaloo and her Dad, after which he released her into mine and Soarin's care – and the rest is pretty much history,” finished Rainbow Dash.

Firefly wiped away a small tear. “Oh, Rainbow Dash,” she said softly, “that was such a beautiful story.”

“I'll say,” admired Solar Blitz. “I never realised Soarin could be so romantic, not even when you introduced him to us after you started going out together. I tell you what, though – you timed the end of that tale of yours pretty well,” he added, pointing to one side of the chariot.

Rainbow Dash could only agree when she saw what he was talking about. The chariot had just pulled up outside the Town Hall, where her friends, her extended family and all the other wedding guests were patiently awaiting her arrival, all finely dressed and meticulously groomed for the event. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity, whom Rainbow Dash had chosen as her bridesmaids along with Derpy, had followed the same lead as Scootaloo and gone for the dresses they had worn at Princess Cadance and Shining Armour's wedding, while Derpy wore a golden silk dress that almost matched her blonde mane and tail.

All the other Wonderbolts were in attendance too, all dressed in their finest mess jackets except for Misty; always the more fashionable of the team, she had chosen a smart red velvet dress of her own. Rumble, Scootaloo's coltfriend and Thunderlane's younger brother, had been chosen as the ring-bearer, and wore a smart reproduction of the Wonderbolts' mess uniforms that had been specially made for him by Rarity for the ceremony. Only Twilight Sparkle was absent from the gathering – hardly surprising, Rainbow Dash thought, since she had volunteered to officiate the ceremony. She was probably inside the hall, overseeing the final preparations.

Taking care not to tarnish the train of her wedding dress, Rainbow Dash gingerly stepped off the chariot and went to chat with her entourage before the actual ceremony. “Hey there, everypony,” she called as she approached them.

“Howdy, Rainbow Dash,” greeted Applejack.

“Dashie!” squealed Pinkie Pie, bouncing over to the rainbow-maned Pegasus. “It's so good to see you again – and on your own wedding day too! This is so exciting! Are you excited? 'Cause I'm excited! I've never been so excited – well, except when you said you and Soarin were engaged, and I was like...” she let out a loud gasp of excitement, “...but I mean, really, who can top that?”

“Okay, Pinkie, I get the message enough already!” laughed Rainbow Dash, rolling her eyes.

“But seriously, though,” went on Pinkie Pie, “you and Soarin are getting married for ponies' sake – I mean, come on, how can that possibly not be exciting?”

“Pinkie Pie makes a very good point, Rainbow,” observed Blue Finch. “We've all been looking forward to the day when you and Soarin would officially get together – even if it may have seemed a bit unlikely at first.”

“Yeah, we never thought y'all would even think about getting' hitched,” put in Applejack, “an' yet, of a' the ponies who could'a tied the knot first, it had ta be you.”

“I know what you mean, A.J.,” mused Rainbow Dash. “I never thought I'd find myself being married either – not for some time anyway.”

“Didn't you?” asked Thunderlane, raising an eyebrow. “I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but I could see that crush you had on him from miles away. Hadn't thought of getting married, my hoof – you and Soarin are way too perfect for each other for you not to have at least considered it!”

Rainbow Dash simply brushed him off with a slight chuckle.

“You looking forward to this ceremony then?” asked Derpy cheerfully.

“Kinda nervous,” admitted Rainbow Dash meekly, “but what's with that? I mean, it's not as if I'm headed for the chop or whatever.”

Applejack smiled reassuringly. “Most ponies get that way before a wedding,” she soothed. “Still, it's good that yo' bein' honest with yourself.”

“It's okay, Rainbow Dash,” comforted Fluttershy. “Soarin's a really nice stallion, and he loves you so very much. He'd never just walk out on you because he's so nervous, so don't you worry; in a few minutes from now, you and he will be walking out of the Town Hall a married couple.”

Rainbow Dash wiped away a few tears, deeply touched by Fluttershy's reassurance. Even today, she could still remember all the times she had had to defend the canary-yellow Pegasus mare's honour or try to boost her confidence, and she found it really moving that she was returning the favour in her most hoof-biting hour so far. “Thanks, Fluttershy,” she said softly, giving her foalhood friend a gentle hug. “I'd do the same for you one day.”

“You don't need to, Rainbow Dash,” smiled Fluttershy modestly. “You already have done many times before now.”

“Yeah, I suppose so,” agreed Rainbow Dash thoughtfully. “How's Soarin doing, by the way?”

“Oh, he's just inside,” stated Thunderlane. “Last I heard, he and Fire Streak were making a few last minutes adjustments to his...” but he was cut off by a sharp nudge in the ribs from Blue Finch. “What'd you do that for, Dad?” he asked indignantly.

“Don't spoil it for her, Thunderlane!” his father whispered sharply.

“What's that?”

“Nothing, Rainbow – just something to do with the decorations inside the hall, that's all.”

At that moment, the main doors opened, and a certain purple dragon emerged from within. “Fillies and gentlecolts,” announced Spike, “we're almost ready to begin the ceremony, so if you would all come inside and take your seats, please?”

Rarity, Rumble, Fluttershy and the Wonderbolts led the remainder of the wedding guests into the hall, while Rainbow Dash remained outside with her father, Scootaloo and her bridesmaids. Just before Firefly went inside, she gave her daughter a small kiss on her forehead. “Do your best, Rainbow Dash,” she whispered.

“I will, Mom,” promised Rainbow Dash bravely, “and thanks.”

“You're welcome, honey; it's what we're here for, after all,” smiled Firefly, giving Rainbow Dash a final hug before she entered the hall.

Just two minutes later (though it seemed like ages to Rainbow Dash), soft songbird music began to drift out from inside the building, signalling for the rainbow-maned mare and her entourage to enter. Scootaloo led the way, scattering multicoloured petals as she went, while Derpy and Applejack carried the train of Rainbow Dash's dress from behind. Solar Blitz walked alongside his daughter, holding onto her hoof, and Pinkie Pie, who had been appointed as Rainbow Dash's maid-of-honour, took up the other side as they slowly walked into the hall and up towards the altar that had been set up for them.

It was then that Rainbow Dash saw the stallion of her affections awaiting her arrival, and everything else seemed to fade from existence as she gazed upon his handsome appearance. He too was dressed in his finest mess uniform, the only differences being that this one was pure white in colour where the rest were blue, and he had a beautiful red rose inserted into his top buttonhole. His mane and tail had been carefully trimmed and brushed to perfection, his wings had been finely preened, and he even wore a peaked officer's cap complete with Wonderbolt badge. He didn't say anything, but simply smiled fondly upon his bride as she came to stand face to face with him in front of the altar.

With the bride and groom ready for the ceremony, Fluttershy, who was conducting the songbird choir, raised her baton and brought the music to a soft climax as Spike, Scootaloo and the bridesmaids stood in line behind Rainbow Dash, while the rest of the Wonderbolts stood to attention on Soarin's side. Solar Blitz, meanwhile, went to sit next to Firefly on the front row of seating. As the hall fell silent, Twilight stepped up to the altar and addressed the crowd;

“Good afternoon, fillies and gentlecolts, and welcome to Ponyville Town Hall. We are gathered here today to honour the commencement of a matrimonial alliance – a kind of 'rainbow connection', so to speak...”

The crowd chuckled heartily.

“...between two of the Wonderbolts' finest flyers, Wing Commander Soarin Starr and Squadron Leader Rainbow Dash. As a great friend of the latter, being selected to perform this ceremony by Rainbow Dash herself gives me a deep sense of appreciation, one that stems right back to when I first moved to Ponyville five years ago. As you all know, she was one of the five ponies who assisted me in the quest for the long-lost Elements of Harmony, during which the then recently-freed Nightmare Moon attempted to trick her into abandoning the rest of us. By refusing to do so, she earned herself the honour of representing the Element of Loyalty, and over the years, she has more than lived up to her element. Indeed, that was how she came to meet a certain other pony with whom she was destined to spend her whole life; were it not for her bravery, Soarin and two of his fellow Wonderbolts, Captain Spitfire and Lieutenant Misty Fly, would never have seen another Wonderbolt performance ever again, and it is therefore fitting that he should have been the one to train Rainbow Dash during her two-year training course at the Wonderbolt Academy prior to joining the team. Their decision to marry four months ago was a great surprise to all of us, but it has since become clear just how much these two care for each other, and I therefore commend you, Rainbow Dash, on taking that final step in your relationship.”

“Hear, hear,” agreed Solar Blitz, and the whole crowd applauded.

Twilight held up a hoof for silence before continuing; “Now, before I proceed, I must ask that anypony who wishes to object to this marriage either speak up now or forever remain silent.”

“I OBJECT...”

Everypony stared in horror at Pinkie Pie.

“...to anypony who has a problem with Soarin and Rainbow Dash getting together! I mean, come on – those two are way too perfect for one another!” the pink party pony finished severely.

All the others quickly calmed down upon hearing this. Twilight, meanwhile, could only roll her eyes at Pinkie Pie's interruption. “Moving on,” she muttered, and turned her attention back to Soarin and Rainbow Dash; “Now, I understand that you two have prepared your own vows – so, Soarin, would you like to recite yours first?”

Soarin nodded, and nervously began. “Rainbow Dash, even after so many years, I can't thank you enough for how you saved my life at that Best Young Flyers' Competition. You were a real hero back then, and more importantly, you showed me and my fellow Wonderbolts just how worthy you are of becoming one of us. I promise to always love and support you no matter where our careers take us.”

“Well done, Soarin,” said Twilight. “Your turn, Rainbow Dash.”

“Soarin, you've come to mean a great deal more to me over the years than just being another one of my idols. Joining you guys in the Wonderbolts Display Team had always been my life ambition, but if you hadn't been there for me, I might never have gained that honour; you were the one who spurred me on during training, even when I thought I'd met my match, and for that, I am forever grateful. As bearer of the Element of Loyalty, I will always be there for you no matter what.”

The whole audience was deeply awed by Rainbow Dash's speech. Pinkie Pie was so moved by her best friend's unusually romantic demeanour that she seemed to melt there and then – literally! Rarity held onto Spike's hand, barely able to hold back tears, and even Spitfire unconsciously nuzzled against Fire Streak as she listened to Rainbow Dash's heartfelt vow. She and Soarin had always been like brother and sister to each other, hence why he had chosen her as his Best Mare, but to see him finally becoming hitched to the mare he was destined to be with filled her with a joy she couldn't quite describe. Even the moment when she had learned of their decision to adopt her niece Scootaloo seemed to pale in comparison with this event.

Twilight nodded her wholehearted approval as the rainbow-maned mare finished her vow. “Nicely put, Rainbow Dash. Now then, Soarin, do you take Rainbow Dash as your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward? Do you promise to love, honour and obey her, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, for as long as the both of you shall live?”

“I sure do, Your Highness,” replied Soarin.

“Rainbow Dash, do you take Soarin as your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward? Do you promise to love, honour and obey him, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, for as long as the both of you shall live?”

“I do,” said Rainbow Dash emphatically.

“Very well then.” Twilight turned and nodded for Rumble to step forward, carrying a deep red cushion on his back which contained two bracelets made of pure gold, with the words “FOREVER MY LOVING WONDERBOLT” stencilled onto them. There was a short pause as Soarin took one bracelet and slipped it onto Rainbow Dash's left hoof, and Rainbow Dash returned the favour with the other. “By the power vested in me by my former mentor, Princess Celestia, I hereby pronounce the two of you husband and wife. You may now kiss.”

And so, Rainbow Dash lifted the veil from her face and softly rested her lips onto Soarin's, signifying the true beginning of their marriage. The remainder of the Wonderbolts saluted, and Spike, Scootaloo, Rumble, the bridesmaids and the wedding guests applauded rapturously, whereupon Pinkie Pie jumped out of her liquefied state and bounced around the hall, cheering loudly.

Firefly wiped a small tear from her eye and held a hoof to her heart. “Oh, Rainbow Dash,” she whispered, “I'm so proud of you.”

Solar Blitz smiled and wrapped an arm around his wife as they gazed upon their newly wedded daughter and her lover. “You and me both, Firefly,” he agreed softly, “you and me both.”

After another few blissful moments, Soarin and Rainbow Dash finally broke apart, enabling the latter to address the crowd. “Thank you so much for coming to our wedding, everypony, and for all the support you've given me and Soarin over the years,” she spoke up. “If you would all like to accompany us to Sugarcube Corner, that's where we'll be holding our wedding reception.”

“Come on then, everypony!” chirped Pinkie Pie, full of energy as always – well, very nearly, anyway. “It's PARTY TIME!!!”