• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 6,634 Views, 448 Comments

Our Voices Carry Through The Hills - Surry



Twilight wakes up to find that she has lost her voice completely, and even worse, her magic. All the while, Ponyville is being absolutely annihilated by a unicorn that looks exactly like her.

  • ...
25
 448
 6,634

Epilogue: I Hear Beyond The Silence

Epilogue:
I Hear Beyond The Silence


It took almost three months.


Three long months later...


and Equestria was finally putting itself back together.

So many broken homes and families were being returned to the way they were before. Ponyville was usually busy; it was always loud, and there was always so much to do. Brick by brick and plank by plank, new homes sprang up where the old ones used to be, and most foundations were cleared away for new construction. It was hard for most. Some cried when they saw their homes in ruin, and others were simply overjoyed when they were finally able to hug their moms, dads, brothers and sisters, and even their elders. They all began to appreciate each other more... or at least, that's what I saw.

I couldn't actually hear most of the building going on either, but Miss Twilight - I actually called her mom now- tells me it's very loud. We often go outside and walk through town, seeing how everypony is doing and catching up on their work. Other fillies and colts have been enjoying the time off from school, but they are usually helping their parents too, when they can.

I used to get sad, the first few times we went out, because some ponies still looked afraid of Miss Twilight. I secretly knew why they looked at her that way, but often times, my other mom, Miss Rainbow, would walk with us and explain things to everypony. They would walk so close together that it made me want to smile all the time. They were so cute when they were with each other, but I think cute in a different way than my real moms. I never really got to see them anymore, other than occasionally in my dreams.

Ever so often, my mommy will come to me when I sleep and hug me, telling me how special I am, even though Miss Twilight and Rainbow tell me that a lot too. She always tells me she's watching, and that always makes me even happier, for some reason. I always try to be good, just like she and Miss Lady asked, because I see that life has gotten a little tougher for my new moms. They only kiss when they are alone, almost never in public. The only other ponies they have told about them being together are their closest friends, but I know others can tell when I walk with them. Everyone just keeps quiet about it, I'm sure. I wonder, sometimes, if that was just because of Miss Lady's spell.

We all live in the library now, as one big family. Mister Spike made a brand new bed for me that's about twice as big as his, and I love him a lot. I secretly think he likes being called 'Mister', but I'll keep that to myself. He's always helping me practice the way I speak and how to control my volume, since I can't really do those on my own. I've been getting better at it though, and I've even been able to teach him a little bit on how I read lips. He's not as fast a learner as I am, but I think he's slowly getting it. We usually sleep side by side with our beds close together too, near where all the books are kept. I love him so much, and I think he loves me in some way also.

My new moms sleep upstairs in their room, where they can have all the peace and quiet they want. Miss Rainbow moved all of her stuff from her old house into the library, and that took forever! I was just glad I didn't have to help, because that looked like a bit of a pain. I didn't have any stuff myself, obviously, but they both give me gifts, sometimes. I always give them big hugs every chance I can, because I really do love them so much. It's kinda' funny... I just love everything and everypony. I wonder sometimes if that makes me weird, but for now, I don't really care. I'm just so happy all the time, and Miss Rainbow tells me that's the most awesome thing she's ever seen. She even helps me brush my mane sometimes in the morning. I haven't even started school yet, but I love those mornings most of all.

I think the only time I ever got nervous since I came back to Equestria was the day Miss Twilight took me to visit Canterlot... or what remained of it. Almost all of it had been completely destroyed, yet we went through the city anyway. My mommy had told me a lot about Canterlot and Princess Celestia, even the part about when she lived here with Miss Lady, so I wasn't completely left out about what kind of place it was. Even though it was in the middle of being rebuilt, I still thought it was beautiful. On that particular day, we got to see the castle too. I remembered when we first walked in through those big doors that I could potentially be a princess one day, but I kinda' doubted it. I was just happy to meet so many new ponies.

We had taken a train to Canterlot that day, because Miss Rainbow was busy working with other pegasus ponies to help build more homes, so it was only the two of us that visited Princess Celestia. She was very beautiful. I can't even think of a word to describe how pretty she was, but I still secretly thought my real moms were prettier. She probably would've been really upset with me if she knew that, but I don't know that for sure.

It was the first time that she had seen Miss Twilight since I came back, and they were both very happy. They immediately hugged each other when they met, but I could see that they were crying. They whispered something into each others' ears, but I looked away from their lips, because I honestly didn't want to know what they said. I knew it was something only meant for them, not for me.

There were a lot more royal guards on watch, or so Miss Twilight told me. I could kinda' guess why, too. My new mom kept where I had come from a secret from Princess Celestia as well, and I wasn't quite sure that was a good idea, but she told me it would be better for everypony that way. The only things she said to her were that Miss Lady had died and paid for her crimes, and that she had adopted me soon after; nothing more. The princess seemed very upset to hear that first bit of news, but she was more than happy to meet me. She said my hearing problem was actually a blessing in disguise, and that I would understand that better one day. I hope she's right about that, but why wouldn't she be? She is Princess Celestia, after all. I practically jumped for joy when she told me to study hard and try to enroll in her school, probably because I have Miss Twilight as my super-special-secret tutor who could teach me everything she knows.

I'd be a shoe-in for sure.

I even got to meet Princess Luna. She's just as beautiful as her sister, but much more quiet. When we met, she barely said anything to me, except for, "I expect great things from you, little one." Although, I think she was secretly scared of me for some reason. When our eyes met, I just got that feeling. She was hesitant at first. I was bothered by it a little bit, but Miss Twilight said she's like that sometimes and not to worry too much, so I don't anymore. I hope one day I'll get to talk to her for longer; maybe, we'll even have a real conversation.

Though, probably the coolest part about visiting the castle was meeting my new uncle, Shining Armor. He wears the biggest, heaviest armor that I've ever seen... even though I've never really seen ponies in armor before. I gave him a big hug anyway, because he deserved it. He limped on one leg a little bit, and I could tell it was hard for him to get around, but I knew why too. There were a lot of things I knew, actually, that Miss Twilight said were best to stay quiet about. He said he was going to visit us more in Ponyville, now that he had more time for leave, but that made Miss Twilight a little nervous. I could see it in her eyes. I don't think he knew Miss Rainbow lived with us yet, so she offered instead to visit the Crystal Empire, which only made me even more excited.

Speaking of visits, we're planning to go on a vacation soon, before school starts for me. Apparently, my new moms had planned to go on one even before I came along, so I wasn't going to complain at all. They looked like they really needed one, too. Whenever they had a chance to hang out with all of their friends, they stuck close together. They were like two peas in a pod, most of the time, but I could tell they just wanted to get away for a while. I even tried hanging out with some new friends I made to give my moms a little more privacy. They called themselves the Cutie Mark Crust-Haters, which seems like a really weird name to me. I could be wrong about what they said, since I can only read their lips, but I hate the crusts of my sandwiches too.

Anyway, the time that I do spend at home in the library is usually used for reading. Ever since Princess Celestia told me to study, Miss Twilight has been helping me practice my magic, day in and day out, but we still have plenty of breaks to go out and have fun. I promised Miss Lady we would do that, after all.

One day, my unicorn mom brought home a really big text book, one we didn't keep in the library. She said she had it specially delivered to us from Princess Celestia's school, because that was one of the few places that actually kept them. It was called 'Tier Fifty-One', or something like that, and she would sit by my side and read it, herself, while she usually gave me something easier to read. I asked her one day why she was studying it so hard, and she would only say, "just refreshing my memory." I knew she was smart, but I didn't know she was that smart. I love her so very much.

A few days a week, I go out on my own and watch my pegasus mom go about her daily job. It's super easy for her too, but she always has time to hang out with me. We've gone out on a few walks before, where she's shown me some of the projects she's been working on with other ponies around town. There's a sweet shop called Sugarcube Corner that she's helping to rebuild with her friend, Miss Pinkie Pie, and they tell me it's going to be twice as big as the old one. Miss Pinkie shares my love of hugging everypony too, so we get along just fine.

I liked meeting Miss Fluttershy, as well. She's a pegasus, like my mom, but maybe not quite as fast a flyer. That stuff never bothered me, though. Miss Rainbow warned me she would be pretty quiet, and was totally embarrassed when I reminded her that didn't matter with me. She always seemed pretty glum whenever she brought it up, because I think she felt sorry for me. Although, I would always tell her that I loved her anyway, because I truly did, and even though I could never hear what she said, she made a point of moving her lips in a perfect way that I could understand.


"I love you too, Leya."


She always smiled at me after she said that...

and it made me want to cry sometimes.

They were never sad tears, though. I was only ever happy with my new moms, and I tried to show them as much as possible that I was the best little filly they could possibly have. Even though I'm sure it didn't matter too much to them, I tried anyway. I feel like I have a lot to live up to, but for now, I just want to have fun while I can. I'm so excited for our vacation, even if it'll only be the three of us, and Mister Spike said he can take care of the library, himself, while we're gone. Although, before we go, my new friends Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom said they were going to ask their sisters if we could possibly have a sleepover at one of their houses. Our friend Scootaloo would come along too, and I'm sure their sisters would say yes. Miss Applejack and Miss Rarity are just as nice as all of my moms' other friends, so why would they ever say no?

Until we leave though, I'm going to keep studying with my unicorn mom and helping her have fun too. She already says I'm 'advanced', but I don't exactly know what she means by that. I have this strange power that only comes out when I walk on grass, where whenever I take a step on it, it grows a few inches taller instantly. It's almost like I can make plants come back to life just by touching them, and Miss Twilight says that's a pretty special gift. My pegasus mom says I have a 'green hoof'... whatever that means. It isn't really green, though. I think she's just being silly sometimes, but I love her anyway.

In fact, I just love everything about my new life. I may not get to see my real mommy often, but I do always have a lot to tell her. I even got to meet with Miss Lady once in my dreams, and she thanked me for doing exactly as she asked. The last thing I remember her telling me was something about 'exceeding her expectations', but I don't really know what that meant. I think I'm going to ask my mom, Miss Twilight, what she means. There's actually a lot of things I need to ask her.


Oh well.


Until then, I'm going to keep being happy for everyone. I'm going to keep getting up with a smile on my face, giving everyone hugs, hanging out with my friends, the Crust-Haters, studying with my unicorn mom, meeting new ponies with my pegasus mom, and learning how to get along without being able to hear anypony. Then again, that never stopped me before.




I'm lucky to live in a place like Ponyville and have two, wonderful ponies to call my moms.

I can tell they are happy together...




and I'm so happy to be with them.

Fin.

This story is dedicated to my friend, Will.

Thanks for reading.

Author's Note:

Well, what a journey this story has been! :ajsmug:

For the people that have stuck by me until the end, I wish to thank you all. I've spent literally hundreds of hours on this story over the past 3 months, and I'm genuinely pleased with the end results. Some corrections still have to be made, so I'm going to spend the next week editing those mistakes out.

As for my future writings...

I'm not done with this story... nor TwiDash's lol. :twilightsmile:

LightningBass94 made a group, and we hold co-ownership Our TwiDash Group

My newer TwiDash (better TwiDash) is here --> The Amethyst

I have many more projects and friends that I want to be helping with their own stuff, so I'm going to be spending a teency bit more time with them. I'll still be writing my ass off all the time and will frequently need pre-readers. If you are ever interested in helping me in that aspect and/or just want to give me some opinions on things I write before everyone else can, then I strongly suggest you follow me, if you have not done so already. I have conquered this veritable mountain of a task and I'm going to keep chugging forward.

I'm also going to be starting a new group soon, dedicated specifically to people who wish to better the community and themselves. No senseless negativity allowed. I'll keep blog posts going fairly regularly with any news about new stories or projects I might need help with. I'd love to see you there! :rainbowwild:

Thanks again, Raven... like a shit-ton. :twilightoops:


Coming soon (WHENEVER I get around to it): 'Our Voices Fall On Deaf Ears'

Comments ( 96 )

very neat story voerall......... even if i question the validityy of an army made from the mirror pond, it is still ityneresting.

4118465 Well, I've gotten that argument a lot, but I've never gotten proof that it couldn't happen either. :twilightsmile:

4118548 probably logic of cloning dude. cloend generations lesser tahn original.

A great end to a fantastic story. You've outdone yourself with this.

Beautiful, just beautiful.
And the epilogue was kind of cute too.

Im sorry if I'm bothering you or anything but is our voices will fall on deaf ears a sequel. If it is can't wait to see it byyyyy

4118637 Thank you very much, friend. :twilightsmile:


4118704 I'm glad you think so! :rainbowdetermined2: I feel like I took a bit of a risk with that one!


4118714 Most certainly it will be! :raritystarry: But just don't expect it for a little while. I have a few things I have to be working on before I continue with this. :twilightsheepish:

4118732
I don't actually thing a sequel is necessary. It's your story though.

The way it ended actually brings up the whole very good ending wrap-up thing that most stories lack. Of course, it's left open for a whole world of possibilities that is not necessary to dig, but still, if you write a sequel I'll gladly ready, expecting a ending as good as this one. Just saying, no pressure.

4118942 Well, I was thinking of doing a sequel for a while now. :twilightsheepish: But I've been needing a break from this story. It won't happen immediately, thats for sure. :moustache:

Bravo, just amazing, it's been a long road but the trip was werth it, i'll be waiting for that sequel.

4119000 It won't be for awhile. :twilightsheepish: I have a lot I need to think about first, and other stories I want to write. :rainbowwild:

4119013 I know, you need to refill your insparation tank so it can be as good or better than this one, I have felling it will be worth the wait.

4119048 That's a nice way of putting it. :pinkiehappy:

SEQUEL!? YAY THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUEL TO THIS AMAZING STORY!

4119347 Give it a little time. I'll get to one eventually. :twilightsheepish:

Yay for da sequel

Well very amazing story, enjoyed every part of it, thanks for write it.

4120652 Thanks for reading it, friend. :twilightsmile:

Surry is this your first ever twidash fanfic you made

Omg this story!! :fluttercry: so many feels so much hard work put into this! :pinkiehappy: it was brilliant!! :heart::heart: I love this story, it's sad to see it come to an end, but the ending was just amazing! And this extra chapter is so cute to see from the filly view. :rainbowkiss: This story was so awesome!! So glad I stuck around till the end it was worth the wait for eAch chapter I tell you :twilightsmile::heart::rainbowkiss: TwiDash forevermore!!!

4121752 I'm sure glad you did stick around! :pinkiehappy: And I'm so glad you liked it too. :twilightsmile:

4122316 Umm... sorry?:twilightsheepish:

THIS.

THIS is what I get for NOT paying attention to the entries...

A 120k TwiDash entry.

Lovely. Well. Alright then. Might as well start.

~Skeeter The Lurker

4122366

NAhhh, it's cool.

I need a few more epics to add to my growing collection.

So far, looks pretty good.

~Skeeter The Lurker

4123194 Just some paintings I did. Sorry they pissed you off. If what I do with my story bothers you that much, then just go somewhere else.

4115719 idk how I missed your comment back. :facehoof: Lol.

AAHHHHH I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
But... at the same time... I can't help but feel a bit sad. This has been one helluva ride, and an amazing one at that. However, this is now the second of my favorite stories in two days that has ended... I'm very glad that you plan to continue!
Now, it makes me realize... I have not finished my first story. I need to haul ass. I'm too slow.

Anyway, I... We thank you for this amazing journey.
TwiDash on, :rainbowkiss::heart::twilightsmile:
~Ava

4125650 I should be thanking you for sticking by me when many did not. It was certainly a pleasure writing for someone like you. :ajsmug:

I'll be sure to check out that story of yours. :heart:

And thats a wrap! Good work everyone! See you next week!:rainbowlaugh:
This ending was perfect. Not that you don't know that already. Everyone else is saying the same thing. Also, I've decide that I want to be more involved and helpful in the community. I'm not gonna be writing, but I'd like to start off with helping you with your projects anyway I can. Maybe as a pre-reader, whatever that entails. If you could let me know how I could help, just let me know if you want it. Just PM me or something. May you sleep peacefully this beautiful night (its beautiful here anyway), you've definitely earned your rest.:twilightsmile:

4125741 Oh, you flatter me. :raritywink: I look forward to it!

4126594

Ocean breezes will blow inland, not out to the ocean, I'm pretty sure. Something to due with the air over the ocean being cooler than the air over land.

I know. :ajbemused: It's supposed to be heaven, where things don't act the same as the 'real' world. That line I wrote was by design. :applejackunsure: Sorry...

4123202

What made you think that the art pissed me off? I just asked what was up with them. And for the things I pointed out in my earlier comment, I was simply pointing them out and trying to offer some constructive criticism. I never intended on stopping reading, and there is absolutely no need to tell me to "go somewhere else" when all I did was leave a comment trying to give you some suggestions that may improve your writing in the future. Y'know, from one writer to another. I'm sorry that you took that so offensively.

4127644 It's kinda hard to not take things offensively when you never seem to have any kind words. Just from the comments you leave, I get the feeling you don't like my story. And honestly , if you don't, then please stop reading it.

4127677

Umm, what? Looking back at the comments I've left, I fail to see how I haven't been supportive or not have had any kind words. If anything, I've left constructive criticism, and even then I tried to deliver it with kind words.

3729679
3811721
3843106
3843149
3911265
3911782

For the record, these are the previous comments I have left on this story until my latest couple. Please explain to me how these lack kind words. The first was blatant optimism and expression of interest, and hell, the third was me expressing concern over people PM-ing you regarding the contest. Other than that I've left constructive criticism if anything on your blogs that have had this fic tagged trying to offer you advise. Why? Because you're a good writer and I feel you could actually learn. I just wanted to see you improve.

4127722 I suppose it was my fault I didnt add the word 'lately'.

4127730

In all fairness, the only comments I have left "lately" have been those made in exchange with you today and the one I left yesterday (i.e. those were the only ones I did not just link). The one I left yesterday, as I explained, was constructive criticism. I'm sorry if you took it offensively (again), but I've already explained the purpose of the comment and why I bothered to leave it.

Because (1) I want to see you improve so I left the comment and (2) because you're a good enough writer to learn and actually improve.

I'm sorry if these facts piss you off.

Comment posted by Surry deleted Mar 24th, 2014

4127748

Mmmkay. Fair enough. I'll just leave this last comment and never touch this story or bother you again:

You've worked hard on this fic. You've put countless hours into pumping out literally tens of thousands of poni words. I recognize that and I respect that. Not many could do that in the time you have. It truly is an accomplishment.

But that doesn't excuse you from receiving criticism, constructive or otherwise. I like this story, I honestly do, but that won't stop me from leaving something constructive. If I'm going to say something, it's gonna be worth saying. And because I like the story I want to make the comments more meaningful, and I thought that being constructive and giving you advise for future stories was the way to go. Apparently I was wrong, but just because you've worked endlessly to get this done does not mean that there isn't room for improvement.

You've written nothing short of an epic, and I honestly commend you for that. And I get that you feel it was all for naught when someone leaves something that isn't "This fic is amazing moar pls." I really do. But if this is how you respond to constructive comments, then you aren't gonna have a good time.

There, I've said my piece. I'm done. Best of luck with the contest, I look forward to seeing you in the winner's circle.

Comment posted by Surry deleted Mar 24th, 2014
SHL

Epic. This ending was perfect, Surry.:pinkiehappy: I'll be waiting for the sequel right here, without any hurry :twilightsmile:

4127800
Completely out of personal interest, what would you count as real constructive criticism?

4128959 I apologized to him. You can leave me alone now.

Comment posted by Surry deleted Mar 24th, 2014

So it took me a while... but I finally got to end it. I was nervous to read this only because I hate when things end, but this ending was perfect.

I absolutely loved this fic, and will be promoting it soon:twilightsmile:

'Our Voices Fall On Deaf Ears'

I wanna be a pre-reader for that. Like seriously, the excitement I feel thinking about it is amazing! I can't wait! If you ever need anything my friend, you know I've got you:twilightsmile:

4136988 I know I always got you at my back. :twilightsmile:

I was really worried you didn't want to finish it just because you knew it was ending. :derpyderp2:

4145020 Well, I hope you liked it. :twilightsmile:

4145334 Um, not good then? :fluttershysad:

Well slap my ass and call me Surly, you really did write a 100k word story for this! Color me impressed.

I'll have to set aside a good chunk of time for this.

But I am quite excited, its been awhile since I read an epic, let alone a proper Twidash epic, and judging from some of the responses, this looks to be a roller coaster ride.

Now then *cracks knuckles* judging time!:twilightsheepish::pinkiehappy:

DJRD

4145562 Thought I was lying?

Login or register to comment