• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 6,790 Views, 336 Comments

Spike The Dog - bakersong



After Spike and Twilight go through the portal from the human world to the pony world something goes wrong. Spike is still a dog, but he starts to notice a few things. He could now understand the other animals perfectly.

  • ...
41
 336
 6,790

Questions

As the day went on, he got the hang of walking on three legs and walked around. Every now and again he spotted Maple talking to the animals, though it seemed she was handling arguments between them. He waved and she nodded back before going back to her duties, and as he walked he saw Fluttershy giving the animals their lunch and grooming some as they ate.

<Oh hello Mr. Spike, I see your leg isn't bothering you that much.> He looked to see Owlicious perched in a tree.

<Hey, and the legs fine. But what are you doing up at this time?> He asked.

<Yes, well I was getting ready to go back to sleep when I saw you and just wanted to say hi.> Owlicious answered.

<Okay, well hi and I'll let you get back to sleep then.> He said and moved on.

He decided to stop in a shady area were not a lot of animals so he could take a nap, giving a yawn he curled up. Almost instantly he fell asleep, which when he woke up later he wondered why since he had a good night sleep. Though as he woke up, he noticed Maple near by laying down, but not asleep.

<Hey Maple, you done?> He asked, kind of feeling nervous.

<Hmm, not really I was taking a break on Fluttershy orders. Why, did you need anything?> Maple asked moving a little closer.

<Well, no I was just wondering about a couple of things is all.> He replied.

<Okay, well ask away little pup. Right now I have some free time.> Maple said.

<Um, uh, okay.> He was hoping they could talk later now. <Um, first question. How is your den so well lit up? I mean there's no light source as far as I could tell.>

<Ah, that would be my breath.> He looked at her strangely, making her laugh. <It's part of the reason why we have bad breath, because it contains magic that'll light up our dens. But I believe part of the reason you can see so well down there is because you might have night vision now.>

<Huh, I guess I hadn't noticed that. But are you sure?> He asked.

<Yes little pup, I'm sure mostly because to Fluttershy it was lit dimly. My guess is she's used to low lit dens. Now, I feel you might be avoiding the main question on your mind. Is it about Winona?> Maple asked, giving a sly look.

<Um, uh, n-no it's something personal though. But it might be more personal to you.> He said, gulping.

<I see, well ask away. I'll answer it if I can little pup.> Maple said, sitting down.

<A-alright, uh, h-how are Timber Wolves born?> He asked, and at that Maple gave a gentle laugh.

<I see, our conversation got you thinking then. That's good, as for your question it's very simple compared to other animal mating.> Maple answered, making him blush.

<But then how are they, um, conceived?> He asked, though he felt uncomfortable asking that question.

<Well, do you remember that seed that I said Timber Wolves have?> He nodded. <That seed is your answer. For instead of having it grow to be a new tree for itself a wolf can chose to get blessings from another wolf to plant a whole new tree instead. Before you ask, all they have to do is breath on the seed to create a new tree and when that tree sprouts so does a Timber Wolf pup.> Maple said.

<So, doesn't that mean the Timber Wolf gives up their seed that could save them?> He asked.

<Not necessarily, for if the wolf's tree is still alive then they will be able to get another seed. If there tree is gone before they get another seed, then again with the blessing of another wolf they can have a seed from another tree to bind with.> Maple answered.

<Huh, that's pretty cool, but then why would a wolf chose to live out for another hundred years if that's all it took?> He asked.

<It's not that simple, for a tree in the Everfree only produces one see per hundred years. So getting a seed from another wolf is hard, mostly because it takes at least a year for the seed to take hold and grow.> Maple said, making him nod. <Now that wasn't so hard to ask was it?>

<No, guess not and thanks for being understanding.> He answered.

<No worries, if I was in your position I would have the same curiosity.> Maple said, looking past him and giving a sigh. <Guess my break is over.>

<Hey, before you go what's stopping the other Timber Wolves from cutting down your tree?> He asked.

<It is forbidden to do so without the elders approval, and for that I would have to be put up on trial. So as long as I stay here in exile, my tree will remain safe.> Maple said before leaving.

After she left, that gave him a lot to think about the Timber Wolf culture. Though he decided not to put much thought about it as he knew from dragons culture it could be confusing if your not used to it. So he decided to get up and stretch, and for a moment he felt bigger almost angry bigger, but he shook the feeling off and started to walk toward Fluttershy's house.