• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 6,786 Views, 336 Comments

Spike The Dog - bakersong



After Spike and Twilight go through the portal from the human world to the pony world something goes wrong. Spike is still a dog, but he starts to notice a few things. He could now understand the other animals perfectly.

  • ...
41
 336
 6,786

Moving Into A Den

They walked with Twilight to the train station to see her off, and after making sure she had everything on her checklist and doubled checked, she finally boarded the train. Though as the train started to take off, Twilight stuck her head out and started to yell out things for him to do once he started feeling better. After the train fully departed the three of them started their way to Fluttershy's cottage, though as they walked passerby's gave them a wide berth, obviously not to get close to Maple.

"Don't worry girl, they'll get used to you eventually." Fluttershy reassured the wolf.

<I hope so, but it might be a long while before then.> Maple said giving a little sigh as a mother and daughter walked by.

While they walked through town Fluttershy made a few stops picking up various ingredients and foods for her animals she's taking care of. After picking up some kind of meat for Harry and for Maple they picked up the pace, though he was on top of Maple, and hurried up. As they walked Fluttershy explained that if she wasn't on time then her animals would get cranky.

"Hey Fluttershy?" The pegasus turned her head toward them, but kept her pace. "Where will I sleep at your place?" He asked,

"Oh my goodness, I completely forgot to make a space for you!" Fluttershy said turning red. "I'm so very sorry, but when we get to my cottage I'll make room. At least I hope I can make the room."

As soon as they got there though, all three of them knew that there wouldn't be room for him inside. Though that was the last thing on their minds, Maple sat him down in the shade of the house as her and Fluttershy went to calm everything down. After feeding her animals and grooming some as well Fluttershy finally came to sit down next to him, as well as Maple.

"I'm so very sorry, I didn't expect this many woodland critters to come this way this time of year." Fluttershy said giving him an apologetic look, that almost made her look on the verge of crying.

<He could stay with me in my den, after all I made it much to big for myself. I will not take no for an answer either.> Maple said, her tone made it clear she meant it.

"Are you sure? I mean I know your den is clean enough, and big enough, but are you absolutely sure?" Fluttershy asked, making him give Maple a quizzical look.

<Of course I'm sure, I would love to host the little pup. If not for him I may not be here.> Maple replied. <Though I would like to hear from him, since he's been awfully quiet.>

<Oh, um, i-if Fluttershy says it's okay then I don't think I would mind. I mean I always wanted to see what a Timber Wolf den looks like.> He said, looking a Fluttershy.

"Then it's settled, it's fine by me and it's fine by the both of you. Though at least let me put a doggy bed in there for you." Fluttershy covered her mouth right after. "I'm so sorry, I-I didn't...."

"It's fine, and thanks I would like something soft to sleep on, if that's okay with Maple." He said, Maple giving him a weird sideways glance.

<if it makes you comfortable, also keep in mind that during the day just whistle if you need anything. I'll come right away, but other wise don't try to walk unless you think you can.> Maple said, Fluttershy nodding in agreement.

"All right, if that's settled then I'll be right back. Afterwards I'll need to do the rest of my chores, then I'll come check on you okay Spike?" He nodded in agreement.

After Fluttershy came out with the bed, which Maple took and ran off with, she went off to start her normal chores. A minute later Maple came back, getting him back on her back so she could once again carry him. On their way to her den they stopped a few times to help settle arguments between the critters. Who knew rats had such vocabulary?

<Alright little pup, here we are. Your new home for the next week or so.> Maple said as she entered a hole in the ground.

"Wow, you built this?" He asked as he looked around.

They walked out of a small tunnel into a little cave, the ceiling was at least ten feet about them and the nearest wall was at least fifteen feet away. He couldn't help but to give a whistle and be impressed at the size. The thought of doing all of this by himself made him shudder, though he knew he wouldn't let it intimate him since all the things he's done for his friends. Like counting grass blades, to stacking rocks, at least digging out something like this might be a little bit more fun.

<Thank you, and yes I did. Back in the forest I used to build dens for different packs, each ranging in different numbers. Sometimes I would have to build one for more than twenty. Compared to those ones, this one is tiny. But once you've lived as long as I have you learn a few things about building a nice den for yourself.> Maple said, only making his jaw drop and making her laugh.

"So this is a small one to you? I mean at very least this could be enough space for like two ponies, and then some. Also, if you don't mind me asking how old are you?" He asked.

<I do not mind little pup, I am two hundred and forty six years old in pony years.> Maple replied.

<H-how is that even possible? I mean no offense.> He said giving a little blush, and before answering she sat him down on the bed Fluttershy gave him.

<Ah, a Timber Wolf life force is tied to their tree. As long as their tree lives, so do they. Though if the tree is destroyed, it does not mean the wolf will die. No, there are ways to survive. A wolf always carries a seed from their tree, and if the tree is destroyed then they could plant the seed and the tree that grows from it will be the wolf's new tree that it binds to. Though like I said, just because the tree is gone it does not mean the end of the wolf. The wolf could not plant the seed, and instead live another hundred years and pass away naturally.> Maple explained.

"Wow, that's a lot of info you just gave me. So Timber Wolves only live a hundred years without a tree?" He asked, making her nod.

<Yes, and if you would like to know more don't be afraid to ask. But not right now, I have to go help above. Remember whistle if you need me.> With that, Maple was off.

Though one thing bothered him, how could he see anything if he was at least ten feet below the surface. As far as he could tell there weren't any gems giving off a gentle glow, or any lanterns of any sort. Maybe he would ask Maple when she had the time how she keeps it lit up.

Author's Note:

finally, I know right?