• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 6,776 Views, 336 Comments

Spike The Dog - bakersong



After Spike and Twilight go through the portal from the human world to the pony world something goes wrong. Spike is still a dog, but he starts to notice a few things. He could now understand the other animals perfectly.

  • ...
41
 336
 6,776

Who Said That?

Author's Note:

I like to thank TheArtsyPegasister for editing this chapter.

The scenery went by as they all sat on the train with Spike looking out the window. It's only been a few days since Twilight and him as a dog returned from the other world. As it turns out, Princess Celestia and Luna wanted Twilight to learn how to fly by the Summer Sun Celebration in order to do a stunt that sounded like Rainbow's Sonic Rainboom, but only with magic instead of flying really fast.

"So it looks like you won't be the only one getting used to a few things," Twilight said, breaking Spike out of his trance.

"Huh? I'm sorry Twilight, I wasn't listening." Spike blushed and rubbed his paw on the back of his head.

"Oh it's fine, you have a lot to think about. But I was saying that you're not the only who has to get used to new things." Twilight replied with an understanding smile while extending her wings to emphasize her point.

"Right, you with your wings, me being a dog instead of a dragon. Though at least I won't have to always send your letters, at least not how I used to be able to." Spike replied, releasing a deep breath to also show his point.

"It's fine now, the Princess doesn't want me to do any more friendship letters, and as for my other reports that I might have to turn in; she gave me the spell in order to send and receive letters just like her." She had a twinkle in her eyes as she said that. "And if I can't use that spell for some reason, we can always just send it through the regular mail. Hopefully, they won't take to long to deliver the mail."

"Well that's great and all, but I just can't wait to get home and see how's the family is doing, gotta make sure Big Mac has the farm under control." Applejack said, stretching as she got off her seat.

"Yeah, and me and you, Twilight, have to get started on flying lessons," Rainbow said with an excited grin.

"Bbbbbuuut we have to throw a 'Spike Is A Dog' party first before any of you leave, you all did Pinkie Promised!" Pinkie said, popping out of nowhere between Applejack and Rainbow who was sitting across from Twilight and Spike, making all four jump.

"Y-yeah that sounds great, but does it have to be right as soon as we get back?" Spike asked, gulping a little.

"Hmmm..." Pinkie put a hoof up to her chin to think. "I guess not, but we sooo have to have it by tomorrow." At that Spike let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh um, if you don't mind, but since we aren't going to have the party today, maybe you could stop by and pick up some dog food? Also, I would like to set up an appointment for Spike to check him out." Fluttershy said, popping her head up from where she was sitting.

"Yeah, that um, would be great," Twilight replied with a slight smile, and Spike could have sworn he saw a hint of blush.

It was the day after they got back, and their small group started to ask both Spike and Twilight questions. He noticed that Twilight was a little hesitant to talk about Flash Sentry. He originally thought it was because the one in their world was different than in the other world, but he now had a sneaking suspicion. It first hit him when they ate lunch, and they were still bombarding them with question after question. Then Fluttershy went to the bathroom and that was the first time she actually talked about her crush on Flash.

He wasn't sure, mostly because he knew almost nothing about romance, even if he did have a crush on a certain white unicorn. So, he decided to just stay out of it, for now, to see if his suspicion was true or not. But as far as he knew, Twilight may be avoiding talking about her feelings in front of the shy mare, but also he did know that it didn't make sense, for it was the simple fact that before she had no problem with talking about that stuff.

"So what do you think, Spike?" Twilight asked, giving him a little nudge.

"That sounds great Fluttershy, I'm looking forward to it," Spike said with a big smile.

"You have an appointment to get a checkup next Wednesday," Twilight whispered into his ear, and he gave a slight nod of gratitude. "It's to bad that I won't be able to spend the celebration with you girls though."

"Don't worry about it darling, though it does pain us all I'm sure, we all have our own responsibilities for now. That and we still have about three weeks before we have to separate for the short time." Rarity replied, and Spike's ear's shot up at the sound of her voice.

"Yeah, but it still feels weird," Twilight said, looking down with a hint of sadness in her tone.

"Don't worry Twilight, we'll still try to make it to the sun raising I promise," Fluttershy said, giving the purple Alicorn a comforting smile.

"Than..." Before Twilight could finish, her vision was filled with pink.

"Hmm..." Pinkie said, again putting her hoof up to her chin in concentration, looking directly at Twilight.

"What? Is there something on my muzzle?" Twilight asked, scrunching up her muzzle and crossing her eyes to look at it, and that's when Pinkie giggled a little.

"You're cute when you make that face, but no silly, you don't have anything on your muzzle." Pinkie said, bouncing back to her seat.

"Then why were you looking at me like that? And did you just say that I looked cute?" Twilight asked, scratching her head.

"I was looking at you because you looked sad, but then you put on a big smile." Pinkie answered with her usual bubbly tone.

"What about when you said that I looked cute when I make that face?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, that, everypony has a face that they make that's cute." Pinkie answered waving her hoof and looking out the window.

"Attention all passengers, we'll be arriving in Ponyville in fifteen minutes. So please get ready if this is your stop!" A stallion called.

"Well it's about time, even though I enjoyed the bed at the palace, I do love my bed much more. You know I had it shipped all the way from Prench?" Rarity asked, lifting her carry-on bag with her magic.

"Yeah, like twenty times before you got it, and about a thousand more when you did get it." Applejack replied.

"You're only jealous because my bed is far more comfortable than your old one." Rarity said.

"Hey, I don't even think I could sleep in your bed anyway, cause it's too soft for my taste, I like my bed just as it is." Applejack defended.

"Girls, please don't start arguing over silly matters again, you remember the sleepover we had?" Twilight reminded them.

"Fine," both ponies said in unison, making them both look at each other and laugh a little.

For the next fifteen minutes, they just sat there watching the familiar landscape go by until they heard the train's whistle and the grinding of its wheels. They all quickly got out and waited for the rest of their bags to be brought out. As they waited, they once again made small talk.

"Alright, Spike, I'll be going over to Fluttershy's to pick you up some food, do you want to come?" Twilight asked.

"Nah, you go on, I'll just go back to the library and catch up on my comics," Spike said waving his paw.

"Okay, and make sure Owlowiscious food and water bowls are filled up," Twilight said. "And also make sure that..."

"Twilight, I know what to do when you're not there." Spike cut her off, knowing exactly what she wanted him to do.

He knew it might be a challenge given his appearance right now, but he was sure he could handle it. After that, Twilight gave him a hug and they all separated to go about their business. But now that he was alone, he couldn't help but wonder if he could be turned back into a dragon. After all, it could be possible that the mirror's effects could be permanent. He knew this because it was magic, and since he lived with a powerful unicorn turned Alicorn princess, he had a basic understanding of how magic works.

As he entered the library, he saw Owlowiscious on his perch sleeping the day away, and he went ahead and checked both of the owl's bowls. Both were about half full, so he went around to make sure everything was organized according to Twilight's standards. After which, he decided to make himself a sandwich, which was tough since he had to use his mouth.

"Ah, that hit the spot. Too bad I can't eat gems anymore, cause I sure could go for a topaz milkshake right about now." Spike said as he finished his sandwich.

<Oh hello Mister Spike! I didn't know you returned, and you look a bit different.> Spike jumped at the sudden voice.

"W-who said that?" Spike asked, looking around.

<Why I did Mister Spike, though what a surprise you can understand me. Usually, only Miss Fluttershy can do that.> Spike turned to the direction of the voice to see Owlowiscious awake.

"Wait, I can understand you?" Spike asked, his eyes going wide.

<Apparently so Mister Spike, do you need a pillow by the way?> Owlowiscious asked, tilting his head.

"I can...but how...I..." Spike tried to say, but then everything went dark.

<Oh dear, I hope you're okay.> Owlowiscous said, as he just made it in time with a throw pillow from the couch.