• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 1,110 Views, 27 Comments

New Year's Kiss - scarves-n-converse



Short stories of ponies and New Years kisses, whether it be the first or one of many.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,110

A Plumber and his Princess

"Ah! Hurry, one grabbed me!" The orange-masked hero saw his violet-masked ally seized by an enemy, calling out to him. The ninja wasted no time as he withdrew his long chain, whipping the henchman into shape and watching him fade into the wooden boards of the thirty-seventh floor of the Mane Villain's hideout. After saving his friend, the two ninjas made their way across the sixteen-bit screen.

A cloaked figure came out of the shadows of the new level, and the orange ninja cried, "The Sliverer!"

The villain cackled. "Yes, you foolish ninjas! And now that you have fallen into my trap--"

Then the screen went blank. And the Super Pon-tendo started to produce smoke and sparks. Button slammed down his controller. "NOOOOOOOOO!" He then proceeded to kick the game-system in frustration. "No! No! No!" After finding that didn't help the situation, the colt fell to the ground and wept (a bit too) dramatically. "No, ho, no!"

Sweetie Belle put down her own controller and walked over to her friend and patted him on the shoulder sympathetically. "It's okay, Button. That Pon-tendo was old anyway. It was bound to break sometime."

The colt looked up to the filly with teary eyes, his bottom lip quivering. "But... it took us a whole fifteen minutes to get to the boss." Then Button burst into tears. "A whole fifteen minutes!"

"Kids?" a motherly voice called from the next room over. "Is everything okay?"

Sweetie answered, "Yeah. The old Pon-tendo just exploded. That's all."

"Oh, okay. ... wait what?!" Button's Mom galloped into the living room. "Exploded?! Was any pony hurt?"

Button, still sobbing, turned to his mother from his pathetic position on the carpet. "My heart... was hurt..."

Button's Mom leaned her head down toward the system. "Hm. I guess your dad's old Super Pon-tendo was older than I thought. Oh, well. It'll have to be thrown away."

The colt trembled at the words. But his mother suddenly calmed him. "As for the game, it looks alright. Which is completely surprising. I guess it's true what they say-- these game cartridges really are virtually indestructible. Hm." The game was removed from its system, and Button's Mom picked up the Pon-tendo with her teeth and took it away, never to be seen by foal eyes again.

"Well," Sweetie Belle shrugged. "That's the end of Teenage Super Ninja Stallions IV."

"P-ponies in the Past..." Button sighed. "The best videogame ever."

Sweetie thought to herself for a short while. "How about... we play Pokepon?"

"Nah, I've beat that game too many times to count."

"Hm... Pony Plumber Xtreme?"

Button perked up. He hadn't played that game in a long time. The colt remembered how he used to love it. "Yeah! Let's do it!"

***

Button, the extremely cool yet lamely-dressed superhero plumber stepped into the throne room of Pearl Palace, where Queen Peachy Belle was waiting. "Your Highness," he bowed. "I am at your royal service."

"Thank you, Button. Your quick arrival is appreciated. Now, for the reason I called you here." The Queen majestically descended from her throne, her magenta gown flowing with every move she made. Her gait was beautiful, but her eyes were sad. "My parasprite people are disappearing from everywhere in the kingdom. My guards and I are the only ones--"

"Button!" Button's Mom called. The colt broke out of his trance.

***

"Y-yeah, Mom?"

The mare smiled and smoothed her gorgeous blue, sequined evening dress. "Your father and I are heading out to the New Year's Eve party in the square."

"Okay." the colt was about to go back to his game, but he was interrupted by a kiss on his forehead. "Ew! Mo-om!"

Button's mother smiled and shook her head. "Love you, pumpkin."

"Mom!"

The mare laughed as she exited the room. Sweetie Belle, still next to Button on the couch, waved. "Bye Button's Mom!" The colt returned to his fantasy world.

***

Plumber Button awoke, finding himself trapped within a net with Queen Peachy Belle's parasprite guards on the floor of the throne room. "Ugh! What happened?"

A parasprite guard cried, "A dastardly fiend broke into the castle's glass window and stole away the Queen! You tried to stop him, but were knocked out in the process!"

Button tilted his head. "Then why didn't you guys try to stop him?"

One guard sighed. "Alas, we did, but we're too small and puny to do anything useful, it seems."

"Egad!" Button pounded his hoof on the ground. "I must stop him!"

And so the chase began (after Button had freed himself and the guards, of course). The bold plumber crossed countless country plains, swam through many rivers, and climbed several castles, fighting changelings and manticores and many bosses. But finally, Button the Plumber came to the final castle, where he found Queen Peachy Belle imprisoned in a strong birdcage, calling out to him.

The plumber thought his mission might be over, but then the final antagonist appeared. He was burly and intimidating, obviously a mix of different creatures. The villain roared. Button made his battle stance and smiled mischievously.

"Come at me bro."

***

It was a fierce battle. Sweetie Belle watched the clock on the wall of the living room. Eleven fifty-eight. It was almost the new year!

Finally, Button pressed the fatal button and smashed the villain into the ground, the rumble freeing the Queen from her prison. "Yes! I beat the game!"

Bong! Bong! Bong!

"Yay!" Sweetie Belle cheered. "It's the New Year!" Then she remembered. "Oh!" the filly quickly bestowed a swift kiss on Button's cheek.

Button sat there, eyes wide. Has Sweetie Belle just... He rubbed his cheek gently with his hoof.

Sweetie laughed. "Happy New Year, Button Mash."