• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 1,108 Views, 19 Comments

Twilight's scepter - Sealcake



While attempting to cast a new spell, Twilight is interrumpted by Spike. Appearing to be nothing more than a failure, Twilight doesn't pay attention to the event, until she starts to undergo strange changes...

  • ...
2
 19
 1,108

1 - New spell

"Twilight, can you repeat again why did we keep this scepter?" Spike asked, puzzled.

"It's a memento," replied Twilight, levitating her new book received from Canterlot. It was a relief that Princess Celestia had sent her to Ponyville for a week to take a break from her royal duties. That meant free time, and what is more wonderful than to learn new spells?

"Meme- what?"

"Just a thing I kept to remember the day with the evil vines, that's all, nothing more."

"It's a little disturbing... did you even see that grin?"

"Yeah, Spike," Twilight said, without paying attention to Spike's questions, "now, if you can stay silent and let me concentrate..."

"And what is the spell supposed to do?"

Twilight sighed and counted to ten, whispering each number. She looked at Spike, who was behind her, and smiled.

"Remember the spell I was practicing the day Pinkie decided it was a good idea to clone herself?" Spike nodded. "Well, it's something like that, but instead of transforming the apple" -Twilight pointed her hoof to an apple on her desk- "completely in an orange" -Twilight then gestured towards the orange next to the apple- "it splices their DNA and makes an hybrid. The book says it works in lifeless objects too."

Twilight looked at Spike, who was, telling by his face, confused. Twilight just rolled her eyes and continued in a more simple way.

"It combines both characteristics of the things in which is being tested on, for example, it can gives the apple the taste of an orange," Twilight continued, seeming rather annoyed by the look of 'Oh no, I launched her in the science speech!' in Spike's face. "You know that you can go, right? The first attempt is always messy."

"Oh?" Spike said, startled. "Oh, right! See-yah, Twi!"

Spike, quickly, put the golder scepter in the desk's right side and left without another word. Twilight sighed in relief and looked to the two objects on her desk. Stucking out her tongue just to remark the fact that she was focusing, Twilight started to channel magic in her horn.

The purple aura enveloped the two fruits. Carefully, Twilight levitated them off the desk, with her eyes closed, she started to 'feel' the characteristics of the two objects in hoof, like molding plasticine to give it a shape.

Controlling the level of magic being used, Twilight, slowly, changed some of the features of the fruits. The apple, with its red rind, started to shake in its place. Its smooth rind was soon replaced with a harsher orange rind.

Twilight started to sweat, being an alicorn, she had more power than that of a normal unicorn, but spells like that required care and focus, by losing her concentration, the magic could overflow and affect other things. Good luck that Spike had decided to-

"TWILIGHT, DO YOU KNOW WHERE I LEFT THE RUBIES?" screamed Spike, making Twilight lose her focus.

A loud boom, typical of Twilight's failed spell, echoed in the library. Spike gulped and went upstairs, only to be welcomed by a giant purple cloud of smoke.

"Ups."

Coughing, a dark shape appeared in the middle of the cloud. Walking towards Spike, the figure flapped its wings, cleaning the room. Then raised its head and yelled at the small dragon.

"Spike!"

By the voice, Spike recognized the owner as Twilight. Rubbing the back of his head with his claws, he looked at Twilight with his best innocent look; puppy eyes and a small grin. Twilight clenched her teeth at this. Knowing Spike's ways to get out of a problem, Twilight grunted and waved her hoof in the air while making her way to the stairs.

"Forget it, I'm going to help Applejack in the farm."

With that, she left the library, leaving a relieved purple dragon behind.


"Ah' have to thank yah, Twilight, those new repellents aren't cheap," Applejack said, putting her stetson in her chest with one hoof, only to put it in her head a second later.

"You're... welcome," replied Twilight, panting. Her horn was still glowing briefly, and hurt a little. Considering the amount of magic she had put in the spell, this was a small prize accompained with side-effects. She raised her head and smiled at her friend.

"An entire orchard with a repellent like-barrier," Applejack pointed her hoof towards the apple trees, the red fruits shining with 'pride'. "Ah' know it isn't all the farm, sugarcube. But now we have tons of healthy apples to harvest in the next Applebuck Season. No pests to harm it."

"Always willing to help," said Twilight, her horn stopping to glow.

Applejack elbowed her friendly, a gesture that, even when Twilight was used to it, made her foreleg to shake under her farmer friend's force. Smiling nervously, she looked at the apples, sensing a weird change in the temperature.

The sun started to set in the horizon, making the sky to change its color to orange, then purple as the moon rose slowly in the firmament.

"I should go now, Spike will be worried if I don't appear. Besides, it's cold."

"Cold?" Applejack asked, puzzled.

"Yeah, and to think it was hot all the day," Twilight trotted to the farm's exit.

"Wait, Twi!" Applejack yelled, calling for her friend's attention. Twilight turned her head to see Applejack, who was running to her side. "Ah' know it isn't too much, but tomorrow yah can come to have dinner with us. Just to thank ya for yer help."

"Will be there apple pies?" questioned Twilight, raising an eyebrow out of curiosity.

"Lots if ya want," answered her friend.

"Then there I will be!" yelled Twilight, and started to laugh. "Goodbye, A.J!"

Twilight exited Sweet Apple Acres humming a song and walking towards the town's library.


Twilight Sparkle entered her house only to be greeted by the beautiful sign of a light blue party cannon pointing at her face, then, to the loud 'boom', and after that, to the pink gooey supposed-to-be-cake in her face. Refusing to become crazy, she stood in the doorway, eyes opened and burning and a fake smile.

In front of her where the four culprits; one dragon, three small fillies.

"Scoots, ya' mixed 'em!" Apple Bloom shouted, clearly furious. "How can ya' put the cake instead of the streamers? HOW?!"

"I.. I-I don't know!" replied Scootaloo.

Cursing under her breath, Twilight wiped the remains off her face. She stared at the group, looking carefully at their reactions when she put her gaze over one of them. However, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom had managed, somehow, to get into a discussion about streamers, cake and... swagger?

The only one left was Spike, who was biting his lip in anticipation. As Twilight approached to where he was, Spike gazed to everywhere except Twilight.

"So... uh..., did you like the strawberry flavor or n-not?" he asked, trying to avoid what had happened a few minutes ago.

"Spike..." Twilight started, only to be interrupted by another question.

"I know, I know, you like the apple flavor more..." he continued, "I should have made an apple p-"

"Spike!" Twilight shouted, her voice stopping the constant rattle of the fillies. "How did THIS even happen? No, scratch that, what in Equestria were you trying to do?!"

"Well... it started when Scoots mentioned something about parties and then Apple Bloom said that you would be probably tired for using a spell of 'get-rid-of-the-pests' in Sweet Apple Acres and then Sweetie sa-"

Spike's explanation was cut off when Twilight pulled him in a tight embrace, nuzzling his forehead with her snout. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom 'aww'ed while Scootaloo was looking to the floor, trying to not do the same.

But something was strange, Twilight's usually warmth fur was really, really cold, like metal.

"Always thinking of me, eh?" asked Twilight, affectionately. She broke the hug and looked at Spike, who was confused.

"Heh, yeah..." he replied in a whisper.

"Okay, girls," said Twilight, turning her head to the place of the three fillies in question "it's going to be night soon and you should go home."

"Okie Dokie Lokie!" sang the fillies, one behind the other, bouncing like Pinkie Pie.

"And you," continued Twilight, putting her best disappointed face to Spike. He had the same puppy-like face of the morning, Twilight sighed. "Just clean up this mess while I take a bath."

"All right!"

Twilight went upstairs, her hooves weighing more than usual. Every step more difficult than the last. Did she tire herself that much?


The hot water filled the tub accompained with a relaxing sound. Twilight looked to herself in the mirror, noticing that her mane was longer than before. Normally the crest was in one side of her neck, and had an 'egghead shape', but for a reason, her crest was starting to reach her shoulder, not only that, it was even growing in the other side.

"Weird," Twilight said "I don't remind having my mane this long. I will have to visit the spa for a haircut."

Twilight closed the tap and entered the tub, eliciting a soft moan from her lips as the water soaked her dry and dirty coat. Twilight sank her entire body in the water, with the exception of her head and levitated the soap.

Raising her right forearm, Twilight started to lather it, enjoying the feel of being clean. But then, a strange realization hit her.

"Why... why does my coat feel so wrong?"

She levitated the soap aside and picked up a brush, with which she brushed her forearm. Surprisingly, Twilight's skin started to wrinkle as the brush passed by, until the last did a rough move and part of her skin peeled off.

Twilight gasped and looked at the affected zone, finding not blood or muscles, but something really, really weird.

Gold.


Twilight rolled in her bed. And rolled, of one side to another, nothing could make her sleep. She rolled again and grunted.

After the bathroom's event, Twilight decided to not tell Spike and to not freak out, she would explain what happened later.

She had to tell Spike an invented story about how she fell of the tub and got a wound, just to not scare him. In that moment, it seemed like the right thing to do, but now Twilight was facehooving herself mentally. Not freaking out was a good thing, but not telling Spike, her number one assistant?

"Stupid, stupid," Twilight mumbled to herself, placing one hoof in her forehead and smacking slightly. "You have studied friendship for months and you decide to not tell to your little brother anything. Such princess..."

Twilight snorted and lifted her right forearm. The 'wound' was covered in improvised bandages, but as far as Twilight could tell, she knew the gold was expanding under her fur. It was disgusting.

Shaking, Twilight hid her forearm under the blankets and rolled, again.

Twilight didn't know what was happening, nor how to cure it, and she didn't even tell the truth to Spike.

Honestly, she has seen better days.

Author's Note:

I present to you; the fic that will destroy our universe!

I regret nothing.

P.S: Now that I think of it, the scene on the tub makes the story look like a clopfic, lulz (until the gold appears, le batman sound).