• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 1,258 Views, 36 Comments

Cutie Mark Abandonment - Luna1337



After Twist got her cutie mark, her life was perfect! She didn't need Apple Bloom! Right?

  • ...
0
 36
 1,258

Chapter 2

"Well, that was rude," Scootaloo said, walking home with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. "I mean, even if she didn't invite us, she could have let us stay!"

"Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon must have gotten to her," Applebloom said, kicking vengefully at a rock. "The Twist ah knew wouldn' have sent us away from anything."

"Why were we at Peppermint Delights again?" Sweetie Belle asked, trying to wipe the dirt that had accumulated on her sticky hooves off.

"We were gonna try makin' candy, remember?"

"Oh, right." Sweetie Belle rubbed her leg against the brick surface of a nearby house, wincing as it scraped the dirt off. Applebloom smiled wistfully.

"Ah remember when ah was friends with Twist. Maybe ah should have stayed friends with her after that, but ah guess ah just assumed she wouldn't want to be mah friend anymore. At least she has friends. Maybe they're nicer to her."

Scootaloo snorted. "Sure they are. Those two aren't capable of nice."

*****************

"Hey, Twist," Diamond Tiara called over the music. "You want, like, another cupcake? There's three left."

"Thure," Twist answered from the other side of the room, where she was examining the results of Pin the Tail on the Pony. Two were in the wall, one was on the pony's leg, and one was on a chair. Diamond Tiara carried the cupcake to her, but instead of handing it over, she motioned for Silver Spoon to turn the music up and pulled Twist under the table.

"Now, what I am about to tell you is not to leave this room on pain of friendship, like, totally over." Twist nodded, and crossed her hooves, the shorthand for a Pinkie promise that they had developed.

"So you know, Scootaloo's family is, like, really rich, almost as rich as mine. That's how they can afford that really fancy house at the end of Smart Cookie Drive. Back a few years ago, there was this economic crisis thingy. Daddy lost a lot of money and Scootaloo was the richest filly. And she totally rubbed it in our faces!" A twinge of bitterness pierced Diamond Tiara's voice, dissipating as she continued.

"Anyways, it started out just snobbery, but then she was, like, really mean and stuff! So we vowed that we would pay her back any way we could."

"Why did you teathe me and Apple Bloom though?"

"After we teased her a lot, it got kind of hard to only tease her," Diamond Tiara admitted. "But then Applebloom joined forces with that little blank flank. So we could focus our teasing power on just their little group! And then Silver Spoon had, like, the best idea ever! She said that maybe we should make a friend. We tried to get Babs to be our friend, but she totally backstabbed us! So we decided to be your friend instead. And you know the rest!"

Twist remembered the day Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had invited her to a private picnic at the edge of the Everfree Forest and shown her that there was more to the ponies than what they seemed.

. "Hey, Twithy-poo!" Diamond Tiara cooed from across the schoolyard. "Doing anything later?"

"No," Twist answered without a trace of emotion in her voice. "Why?"

"My dad is having this totally lame picnic, and Silver Spoon's mom is making her go, so I need to invite someone weird and nerdy to make my dad happy without making ponies think I care enough to invite someone cool.

"Fine."

************

"The food ith good," Twist said, struggling to find something to say. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had stayed on the opposite side of the picnic blanket the entire time, whispering and staring at her. Filthy Rich flipped the Ponyvile Inquirer to the stock market section.

"Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon?" he said without looking up. "If you're gonna invite ponies to something, you have to socialize with 'em."

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes. "Fiiine, Daddy. So, what's it like living in a candy shop! Do you, like, get all the candy you can eat?"

"Only when I can thwipe it."

Silver Spoon leaned in, a thin strand of drool hanging from her mouth. "You will get me into this sweet shop. Now."

"Why thould I? You've been the foremotht bullieth for motht of my life! Why are you being nithe now?"

"If you had actually, like, noticed, we never teased you. Applebloom's much lamer than you. Anypony who hangs out with somepony as lame as her automatically becomes lamer. So we're like the Lame-ators. Like liberators, only for ponies who are lame."

"...okay."

It had slowly spiraled upward after that, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon no longer acting like self-righteous jerks to them being real friends over a few months.

"Why didn't you want to tell me at the thpa, though?" Twist asked, snapping out of memory

"Well, I have this public image. I need to protect it. Telling a tragic story from my foalhood would, like, totally undermine it."

Twist's mother stuck her head in the door. "Could you turn the music down a notch? There's a customer!"

"Thure thing, Mom."