• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 6,551 Views, 935 Comments

Stormsinger - Airstream



After four hundred and fifty years of uneasy peace, the balance of power in Equestria has shifted.

  • ...
17
 935
 6,551

PreviousChapters Next
In Which Plans Are Made

The first thing Cobblestone was aware of was warmth. She hadn’t been warm in months, since the leaves had started turning and she had managed to get ahold of a new blanket for her cot. Thinking of her cot got her thinking about something else she was feeling, which was the feeling of resting on something soft. Incredibly soft, actually. She shifted herself drowsily, and was much surprised to feel that no matter which way she seemed to move, the softness was there to support her, to cushion her in its warmth. There was also something resting on top of her, something heavy and warm. She speculated idly that she might be dead. Confused, she slowly opened her eyes.

The first thing she saw was wood. A wooden wall, curving gently to one side of her, rose up to the ceiling, also made of wood. And the thing she was lying on was a bed, an actual bed. She hadn’t had anything aside from a hammock or a cot since she was a little filly, and even then she had needed to share it. A massive down comforter was draped over her, and she was resting on top of clean, fresh sheets. She even had a pillow. Cobblestone blinked, confused at her predicament. She clearly wasn’t dead, unless the afterlife was made of wood. Which it could very well be.

Rolling over, she took in the rest of the room that she occupied, which wasn’t much. A small chest near one wall gleamed blue in the warm glow of the magelight overhead, and a small mirror directly above it allowed her to see her mane, ruffled and sticking off to one side in a most undignified manner. She smoothed it down as she took in the rug on the floor, the small bench which was undoubtedly for guests, and the door, which was shut tight. Curious, she got out of bed and tugged on the door handle in order to open it. She was not at all surprised to find it locked. Gradually, she put everything together.

She was clearly still being detained. But why was she being treated so well if she was still technically a prisoner? The room she was in didn’t look like any cell she had ever seen, though her experience in that area was thankfully rather limited. And for that matter, where was she? Who built a prison out of wood, and gave her a room with a mirror and a warm bed? She trotted over to the chest, and was surprised to find it full.

Her things were on top, minus a few notable exceptions, her lockpicks, her knives, that sort of thing. The cloak she had been wearing was in there, folded and recently laundered. A few other odds and ends, like her sewing kit (no needle), her small pouch of coins, and other bits and sundries were all there as well. Beneath that were other things, things that were not hers. Lucky’s knapsack was in there, containing a few items such as a small quena flute, a whittled wooden bear, and a snuffbox containing nothing more than a few glass beads. Cobblestone was surprised. Lucky hadn’t shown any inclination towards being creatively inclined.

That was unpleasant to think about. For a brief moment, Cobblestone had been able to put Lucky and Ivy out of her head. Gently, she packed away the rest of the things in the trunk, closing it tightly. She looked at herself in the mirror. It had been a long while since she had done so. She looked terrible. Her eyes had developed bags, her mane hung limply around her shoulders, and she could see bruises dappling her entire body.

That was not all, however. The ring was gone from around her horn, but there was instead a strange pendant hanging close to her neck, from which a small crystal hung. She tried tugging on it to take it off, but it was too tightly bound to her neck to do so, and the chain was too strong to break when she gave it a sharp yank. There was a clasp on the back, with a slot to put a very small key or pin inside, but it resisted every one of her efforts to undo it. Cobblestone frowned, pondering her next course of action.

There was a polite knock on the door, and Cobblestone jumped.

“Miss Cobblestone?” a voice called. “Are you awake?”

“Yes!” Cob called, before clamping both hooves over her mouth. She hadn’t meant to answer, but the voice had caught her by surprise.

There was a rattling at the door, the clank of a key in the lock, and the door opened wide. A younger Pegasus mare with a coat of blue and wearing a grey and purple tabard, perhaps five years her senior, stepped through the door. She smiled brightly at the confused unicorn.

“Good evening, Miss. My name is Turquoise, and I’ve been sent down here to fetch you.”

“Fetch me where?” Cobblestone asked suspiciously.

The Pegasus moved to the bed, making up the mussed covers. “I’ve been instructed to help you wake up, which you appear to have done, and then take you upstairs to give you an idea of where you are.”

Cobblestone shuffled to the door, moving as quietly as possible. If she could make it to the hall, she could probably outrun the Pegasus while she figured out her next move.

“I wouldn’t do that, if I were you.” Turquoise said, without turning around. “It won’t work.”

Cobblestone bolted for the door. She made it about a half dozen steps out into the hallway before the crystal around her neck flashed, and her legs froze in place. Unable to halt her momentum, she toppled over, hitting the deck hard. She groaned, looking up at her surroundings. She was in a small hallway, along which were several other doors. A few ponies in the hallway gave her strange looks, among them two uniformed soldiers, who had been stationed right outside of her door.

“Told you that wouldn’t work, Miss,” Turquoise said, exiting Cob’s room and closing the door behind her. She turned the key in the lock, making sure the door was secure before assisting the young thief. At a touch from Turquoise, Cobblestone’s legs could move once more. “That’s a Restraint Pendant, one of the new ones from the Regia itself. If you get too far away from me, you’ll find it hard to keep moving.”

Cobblestone took a few shaky steps, looking at the pendant around her neck with newfound respect. “And what’s to stop me from using magic to get this thing off?”

“It’s fairly strong, Miss,” Turquoise said. “That, and your magic is restricted while using it. You’ve got some levitation, and that’s about it.” She dusted the thief off. “Now, if you’ve got no further questions for me, Miss, I really do think we should be going.”

“I’ve got a million questions,” Cob growled, “But I think I’ll get more out of you if I let you take me wherever it is we’re going.”

“You catch on quick, Miss Cobblestone!” Turquoise said, as the two of them began to walk down the narrow hallway. “Don’t fret, you’ll have all the answers you want in a moment.”

“That’s fine,” Cobblestone said . “But could you tell me where we are, at least?”

“We’re about ten miles outside of Crescent City, having just cast off,” Turquoise said, as the two of them began climbing a staircase up from the dimness into relatively bright sunlight. “Moving towards Starfall as we speak!”

“What do you mean?” Cobblestone asked. “How are we…moving?”

The duo stood on the deck of a riverboat, surrounded by busily bustling ponies, passengers, and others. Two tall smokestacks stretched to the sky, from which clouds of white smoke billowed, powering the massive wheel at the back of the ship, which was currently pushing them upriver with surprising speed. And that wasn’t all. Three tiers of rooms stretched upwards from the deck, each supported by pillars wreathed in ornate filigree, from which a steady stream of finely dressed ponies came and went. At the top was a fourth floor, though it was smaller, containing maybe one or two other rooms but affording the best view.

“Welcome aboard the Jolly Cooperation, Cobblestone,” Turquoise said. “Now, let’s hurry up to the top deck, there are a few ponies needing to speak with you.”


“I’m coming down there right now!” Twilight said, pacing angrily in front of the mirror. “I knew I should have had you stay on the ship an extra night.”

“Don’t you dare!” Serale said. “We’re on the ship right now, and moving out of Crescent City, so there’s no need for you to leave Starfall!”

“You were nearly killed, Serale! Assassins nearly slit your throat, and the only reason you’re still alive is because of sheer, dumb luck!” Twilight said. “I’m coming down there, and that’s final!”

“Yes, I was nearly killed, but the situation is under control, Mother!” Serale stomped one hoof in exasperation. “I’ve got everything well in hoof as it is, and we’re only three days away from home. Have extra guards waiting at the next stop, though I don’t know where they’ll sleep.”

“That’s not good enough,” Twilight said. “What if there are more of them? What if they’ve made it onto the boat?”

“That’s why we brought the Changelings as part of the security detail, Mother. They’re able to detect deception with no problems. But there are already a lot of potential suspects on the boat, so bringing more ponies on will only make their job harder. Besides,” Serale said, looking at Libra, who was very pointedly not involved in the conversation. “I have Libra along, and if there’s an actual attack, she’ll be more than enough of a threat to any assault.”

“Yes, but Libra’s one pony, and she’s not exactly perfect!” Twilight said. “No offense, Libra.”

“None taken, Milady.” Libra said.

“She may not be perfect, but I’d take her over another hundred of the guards you want to cram onto this boat!” Serale countered. “It may be your craft, but other ponies should be able to use it as well, right?”

“Not if they’re sent to kill you, Serale!” Twilight said. “I don’t like it. If something happens to you, if you’re separated from the guards around you in any way…” Twilight’s voice trailed off, as she realized what it was she was going to say.

“If I get separated?” Serale asked. “What do you think will go wrong if I get separated?”

“Don’t give me that, Serale!” Twilight said. “You know perfectly well that you won’t be able to protect yourself.”

Serale’s eyes narrowed. “Oh, so just because I can’t use magic, I’m helpless?” she asked, fire in her voice. “Because I can’t use magic, I’m six years old and an idiot? There’s no other recourse than magic, is that right?”

Twilight held up a hoof “Serale, I didn’t mean-“

“Of course you did, Mother,” Serale said. “I know exactly how you feel about my ability to handle myself, because I’ve been living with that point of view my whole life!”

She indicated the deck below, which was swarming with guards. Not that her mother could see them. “It’s not like I’ve ever had a chance to handle my own affairs, or find out if I might actually be good at something other than being cooped up in the Court, because every time I try something, I end up getting swaddled in cotton because I can’t use magic!”

“Serale…” Twilight said, but her daughter cut her off.

“Because it’s not like other prominent families can handle themselves without it, it’s not like the Pegasi or Earth ponies can’t get along without magic of their own! I certainly couldn’t don a disguise of my own and try my hoof at something new! For love of the Ley, I had to agree to take Libra along with me when I wanted to see more of the world!” Serale cried. “No offense, Libra.”

“None taken, Lady Serale.” Libra said.

“The point is, I can handle myself, and you never realize that because every chance you get, I’m kept ‘safe’ by your refusal to let me do anything without ten guards, three escape plans, and half the palace on alert!” Serale cried. “But no, I don’t get to handle this on my own, I’m too fragile, I can’t do magic, therefore I am completely useless at everything!”

“I don’t want to lose you!” Twilight shouted at her mirror.

There was a beat of silence as both parties were shocked into quietness. Serale’s mother never shouted. She would raise her voice to be heard, or give an endless lecture, or sternly reprimand her wayward daughter, but towards Serale, Twilight had never, ever shouted.

“I don’t think you understand, Serale,” Twilight said quietly. “I have enemies. Many, many enemies, in places you wouldn’t think I do. And because of this, my daughter, you have enemies. And they are waiting, always waiting, for an opportunity to strike at either me or you.”

Twilight sat down right in front of her mirror. “Before you were born, I had died six times. I allow myself to be reborn once I reach a hundred or so, which has happened three times. Do you know what the other three times were a result of?”

Serale shook her head, still mute.

“They were all of them violent. I’ve been stabbed, shot, beaten, burned, poisoned, smothered, and thrown from high places by my enemies multiple times on my journeys abroad, and I managed to survive all but three of those occasions by dint of skill with magic and some quick thinking,” Twilight said. “But with you, there is nothing to fall back on save your own physical ability and the ones around you. Take your allies away, and you have nothing but yourself to rely on.”

“But if I never find myself a way to practice my own abilities, then I won’t ever be able to defend myself when everything has gone wrong, and I don’t have anypony to rely on but me!” Serale said. “Don’t you understand?”

Twilight nodded. “I do understand, Serale. And it’s not something we’ll be able to resolve now, but I agree that your concerns need to be addressed.”

“Don’t you dare,” Serale said. “Don’t you dare try to Court me into staying silent on this. When we arrive, I will talk to you, because we need to talk about it. When I get back, not here and now, because you are not going to get on this boat.”

Twilight put a hoof to her forehead, closing her eyes and trying to calm herself down. She took a few deep breaths before opening them again. “Alright,” she conceded. “I won’t come down there. There is a detachment of mages in Riverton that will be assigned to your boat, a party of six. I’ll relay the orders. That way, there aren’t many more passengers aboard, and you can be adequately protected while still maintaining some autonomy. But you stay on the riverboat, understood?”

Serale nodded. “Understood. I look forward to seeing you when I return.”

There was a quiet knock at the door, and Libra put an eye to the peephole to see who it was.

“Turquoise and her charge,” she reported.

“I’ll see you soon, daughter.” Twilight said.

“And I you, Mother. I love you.” Serale replied.

“I love you as well.”

The mirror went blank, resolving itself back into Serale’s reflection. She took a moment to check her appearance, smoothing out a few wrinkles in her dress and fixing an errant lock of her mane, before nodding to Libra to open the door.

Libra did so to reveal Turquoise, who was standing next to a disheveled looking teenager who looked like she had seen better days. The duo walked into the room, and Turquoise waited by the door. Libra closed it behind her, and Serale watched the younger mare as she carefully examined the entire room, noticing how her eyes flicked to the windows and the skylight above her, potential avenues of escape, before she considered those around her.

“Was she any trouble?” Libra asked.

“We had a bit of a fall on the way up here,” Turquoise said, “But aside from that, she seems to be doing alright.” She withdrew a small crystal pin from her wing, handing it over to Libra, who locked it in a small drawer in the room’s drawing desk. “Will you be needing anything else, Lady Serale, Magus Libra?”

“No, thank you, Turquoise,” Serale said kindly. “If you could not wander too far? We might need you to escort our guest back to her room when we’re finished here.”

Turquoise executed a textbook-perfect bow before quietly leaving the room, shutting the door behind her as she went. The small, well-furnished space was quiet for a brief moment before Serale decided to break the ice.

“Please, have a seat,” she said, indicating a nearby chair. “I’m sure you must be tired.”

“Not really,” Cobblestone said, keeping on her hooves. “Just woke up.”

“Hungry, then?” Serale asked. “It must have been a while since you ate. We have a few things here, or I could send for food from the galley.”

"No, thank you," Cobblestone said. "I'm not hungry."

The silence stretched out once more, smothering the cabin in an uncomfortable heavy fog.

"Is there anything I can offer you?" Serale asked.

Cobblestone kept a wary eye on Libra and Serale as she shuffled her hooves nervously. “Mostly, I’d like to ask a few questions.”

“Understandable,” Libra said. “But I really would recommend you sit down. We’re going to be here for a while.”

Cobblestone did as she was asked, taking a seat near the window, where she could see the deck below. Serale did likewise, with Libra bringing over a small table and a chair for herself. “Now,” Serale asked, “Where would you like to begin?”

Cobblestone thought for a moment. “I suppose,” she said slowly, “We could start with why I’m here, instead of back in Crescent City.”

“Normally, you’d have been tried in your city for the crime of robbery as per usual,” Libra said. “However, because of your…unfortunate choice in targets, and the fact that you were tangled up in the attempt on Lady Serale’s life, your sentencing has been moved to Starfall, in a Royal Court, as opposed to a normal court.”

Cobblestone frowned. “What does that mean?”

“Simply put,” Serale said, “Your case has been deemed important enough to be tried by my mother, as opposed to an appointed judge.”

“Your mother,” Cobblestone asked slowly, “Being…”

“Lady Everstar, yes,” Serale said. “She’ll be the one listening to all of the evidence surrounding the case. There’s a reason for that.”

“Please,” Cobblestone said. “Don’t let me keep you from explaining.”

“You’re involved in an attempt on my life, which means that your testimony is important to helping the authorities of this Kingdom find out more about the assailants. As we have no way of knowing which group did it, or how far their reach is, the safest place for you is in custody of my family,” Serale said. “If we were to turn you over to regular authorities, there is a possibility this group could strike at you that way.”

“And there’s no way they could get at me when I’m in Starfall?” Cobblestone asked. “Because that logic sounds a bit flawed, no offense.”

Serale tilted her head. “You seem awfully at ease for somepony in your situation.”

“How do you mean?” Cobblestone asked.

“I would have expected some small amount of deference from you,” Serale said. “Something like nervousness. And for being told that your life is in danger, you’re handling yourself extremely well.”

“Never met a real noble before,” Cobblestone said. “Should I be doing something differently?”

“Traditionally, using the noble’s title is considered polite,” Libra said. “It would be proper to address Lady Serale as such.”

Cobblestone looked at the mage. “And what should I be calling you?”

Libra smiled tolerantly. “My Court title is Magus Libra, but I possess no noble rank. Libra is fine.”

“Lady Serale and Libra,” Cobblestone said, trying the words out. “I’m Cobblestone. But I guess you knew that. And the reason I’m so calm about the fact somepony is trying to kill me is because I’m from Crescent City. Somepony is always trying to kill you there.”

“That’s a very…pragmatic point of view.” Serale said.

Cobblestone shrugged. “I’m a pragmatic pony. Got to eat to live, got to steal to eat. So I steal.”

“Why does everypony keep saying that?” Serale asked. “Aren’t there places to go for handouts? Or shelters? For that matter, don’t you have a family?”

“Firstly, all of the kitchens set up to help ponies like us are out of food an hour after each meal starts. And most of us are in a line for that long just to get in. Same goes for shelters, and you run a pretty big risk of having anything with you stolen by others if you go there. Secondly, no I don’t have a family. Not anymore. Thirdly, gangs offer better food and shelter than most of the kitchens and shelters do,” Cobblestone said.

Libra frowned. “What do you mean, you have no family?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Cobblestone said.

“That’s fine,” Serale said. “It’s not relevant to the situation at hoof, so let’s move on, shall we?”

She got out of her chair, crossing the room to a cabinet, out of which she withdrew a crossbow bolt, around which was wrapped a small scroll of paper, with her name on the outside in delicate calligraphy. She brought it back over to the table, setting it down in the center.

“There’s an enchantment on this, or so Libra tells me. A rather nasty one, too, one of the ones that gets inside your head and does things to the way you think. We don’t have the tools here to siphon off the magic, so we’ll likely wait until we get back to the Regia to open it. Now,” she said, looking at Cobblestone, “I’d like to tell you that you’ll be completely safe in Starfall, but this is some fairly high-level magic. We’re talking an enchantment only a few steps below Libra’s level in power, and she’s the best Mage in the Kingdom.”

“You’re too kind, Lady Serale,” Libra said.

Cobblestone stared at the scroll. “I know it’s possible for some magic users to put a tracker spell on things. I’ve nearly been caught a few times because of that. Did you check it?”

“Of course,” Libra said. “Nothing to speak of. I examined it thoroughly.”

“The point is,” Serale said, “Odds are very good that whoever did this is a mage of no small power. The majority of mages of this caliber are in the capital itself.”

“And I’m headed right for that mage, is that right?” Cobblestone said. “The one who is incredibly powerful?”

Libra nodded. “You don’t need to worry, Cobblestone. You’re in our custody, and you’ll be just fine. We’ve got more guards coming on at our next stop in about a day, and while our mystery mage may be in the capital, they’ll have a lot more difficulty moving against you or Lady Serale there.”

There was another silence as Cobblestone considered the relative truth of the statement. She knew nothing about life in Starfall, but she didn’t really see herself as having much choice in the matter. She was on the boat, and was going to have to accept that circumstances were out of her control. For now. She eyed the drawer where Libra had kept the pin. Odds were very good that the pin in there was the one needed to open the pendant around her neck. If she could get ahold of it, she might be able to make a break for it. For now, though, she needed to cooperate.

“So…what happens to me after everything settles down?” Cobblestone asked, eyes going back to the scroll on the table.

Serale shrugged. “I imagine you’ll be sent to a reintegration house in the city. Sort of like a less strict version of a prison. You’ll have an indentured contract to the Kingdom after that point; work off the costs of rehabilitation plus a bit more to put away, and then you’ll be released from custody with some work experience. Not a bad life if you behave well in the house, they provide references and such. Your crime was theft, so I can see you having a ten-year contract after your release. Fifteen years all told, isn’t that right, Libra?”

The Mage regarded the young criminal in the chair. “That’s one option, though I would like to speak to you on another matter, young miss.”

Cobblestone looked at her. “And what would that be?”

“I would like to ask you about that spell you used the other night. In the Inn. Have you done that before?” Libra asked.

Cobblestone shook her head. “Never. I don’t even know what I did, let alone how I did it.”

“Fascinating,” Libra said. “You never used that much power before?”

“No, I didn’t,” Cobblestone replied, exasperated, “Why? You’re the most powerful mage, I’m sure that whatever I did is something you’ve seen plenty of times.”

“Actually, that’s not entirely true,” Libra said. “I’ve only seen magical power of that magnitude during my auditioning process in the Court. Granted, there was more control involved in those spells, but you have a very unusual gift, Cobblestone.”

“What do you mean?” Cob asked.

“Last night, when you were pinned down by my magic, you managed to break the barrier spell I had laid down to keep everypony from moving, which was impressive in its own right. It’s not my strongest restraining spell, but it is certainly one of the more powerful ones. And then, after all of that, you managed to call lightning. Do you know how rare that is?” Libra asked.

Cobblestone shook her head. “I’ve always been able to use a bit of magic, maybe a bit more than others my age, but nothing like that. I don’t even know where that came from.”

“Magic comes from the application of will,” Serale said. “Your will was strong enough to temporarily overpower Libra and strike down that assassin. That is impressive, especially coming from somepony with little to no formal training on how to use her power.”

Libra nodded her agreement. “And you used lightning. I’ve seen ponies use fire, or air, or force, but those who have a natural affinity for electromagnetism are few and far between. You aren’t unique, Cobblestone, but you are very, very uncommon.”

“What are you saying?” Cobblestone asked, confused.

“I’m saying you have a gift,” Libra replied calmly. “And it would be a shame to waste it. You have enough power to be called a Mage in your own right someday, Cobblestone. With the proper training, and firm guidance, you could become very powerful indeed.”

“Is this a proposal?” Cobblestone asked. “Am I being offered something?”

“Call it an idea,” Libra said. “Apprenticing to become a mage would be a significantly shorter period of study than incarceration and indenture to the state. Not easier, you understand, but the average apprenticeship for a mage is four to five years before they’re off to find their own work. If you cooperate with us during the trial, and don’t cause any trouble, I might be able to find a teacher for you.”

This was definitely unexpected for Cob. A mage? Her? She was a nopony, less than nothing. Less than two days ago, she had been sleeping in a sewer, trying to figure out a way to avoid ending up in a whorehouse. She wasn’t anything special, hay, she didn’t even know how to replicate the magic that had distinguished her!

“I know it’s a lot to consider,” Libra said, “But do yourself a favor and think over it.”

Cobblestone nodded, preoccupied with the idea. “I will,” she said.

“One last thing,” Serale said. “There is the matter of your physical health.”

“And what do you mean by that?” Cobblestone asked. “I’m perfectly healthy.”

Serale arched an eyebrow. “All evidence to the contrary,” she said primly. “I am, of course, referring to your current addiction to the substance known as Dragon’s Kiss.”

“Oh,” Cobblestone said. “That.”

“Yes, that.” Serale said. “As of now, you will find it very difficult, bordering on impossible, to find this substance. Therefore, I am taking it upon myself to inform you that the next several days will likely be very unpleasant for you.”

“You’re joking,” Cobblestone said. “There’s no way for you to get it out of the way now?”

Libra shook her head. “If you had used something like opium, or you drank too much, I could have done something. But Dragon’s Kiss is a magical drug. There is no easy cure for it. You’ll need to endure the withdrawal.”

“You’ll be well cared for and have everything you need to help you through it,” Serale said. “I’ve made several studies on this sort of addiction. Yours is a relatively light case. We estimate withdrawal will take two to three days before you are able to function appropriately.”

“So I’ll still be flat on my back when we get to Starfall?” Cobblestone asked.

“Not necessarily,” Libra said. “There is a way to speed the process, at least at the beginning.”

“Libra is able to eliminate the last of the drug from your body, including the reserves that your body holds before withdrawal begins. It’s commonly known as a Sober-Up Spell. This means withdrawal will hit you in a few hours, and hopefully, the effects will be lessened when we arrive in Starfall,” Serale said. “But she needs your permission to do so.”

Cobblestone thought about it for only a moment. “It’s like ripping a bandage off, then. Let’s go.”

Libra blinked. “That was…abrupt.”

The thief shrugged. “No point in waiting around for it. Get it done.”

“Very well,” Libra said, bringing over a shallow basin with her magic. “Please keep in mind that this spell may feel unusual. You may feel some tingling or pinching near the nape of your neck ,and your vision may blur. Don’t worry, this is natural. You may experience weakness or loss of balance after the spell is over, and you may feel a need to vomit. If you do feel such a need, please use that basin. These feelings should subsist after about a minute. If they last longer than that, let me know, alright?’

Cobblestone nodded. “Okay.”

Libra shut her eyes, a light purple glow building up around her horn. The light got brighter, and Cobblestone felt her knees go weak, as if her legs had fallen asleep. Thankful to be sitting down, she watched as her vision did indeed begin to blur, and her stomach did a peculiar flip, as if she had suddenly turned upside down and had forgotten to do the same with her insides. She struggled valiantly to hold her stomach in, to no avail. She retched, bending her head over the basin, but thankfully, nothing came out. At last, the light faded, and Cobblestone managed to clear her head.

Serale reached for her, but Cobblestone shrugged her off. “I’m fine,” she growled. “For now, anyway.”

“You did fairly well, Cobblestone. That was a remarkably quick recovery.” Libra said.

“So glad I could entertain you,” she gasped.

Libra withdrew the pin from the drawer, before her horn flashed twice. “Turquoise will be along in a moment to take you back to your quarters. I’ll be along later tonight in order to see how you’re doing. There should be water and such in there as well. It will be a rough evening, so somepony is down there to keep an eye on you. Is there anything else you’d like? Books, an extra light, anything like that?”

Cobblestone shook her head. “I’m fine. What about the restroom?”

“Let your chaperone know, and they’ll escort you to the head down the hall from your room.” Libra said.

“Cobblestone?” Serale said, as Turquoise arrived and she began to head for the door.

“Yes, Serale?” Cobblestone said. “Lady Serale, I mean.”

“I never thanked you,” Serale said. “For acting on my behalf in Crescent City. You could have just left and saved yourself, but you chose to stay and fight. And you have my thanks for that. Without you, I’d likely be dead.”

Cobblestone didn’t say a word, simply turning away and leaving the room without acknowledging the gratitude she had just received.

“I don’t understand,” Serale said after she had gone. “Did I offend her?”

“Her ‘rescue’ of you cost her two of her dearest friends, Serale,” Libra said. “I don’t think you’ll find her very forgiving of that, at least not now. Those wounds are still quite fresh.”

PreviousChapters Next