• ...
1
 9
 1,708

An Old Night, A New Dawn

Moondust was on the roof of her house, she reached out to see if she could touch one of the stars. She got nothing but a hooffull of air. She stretched out, standing on her hind legs to get higher and closer to the stars. Suddenly the world seemed to rush away to the side. Moondust screamed. Thud.
She landed on the ground, everything was black. Moondust opened her eyes and looked around. The world slowly took shape, it was familiar but, she was not the in garden, she was in her bedroom, on the floor. "My room?" she said, puzzled. Then she realised, it was all just a dream, a horrible one. She took a few deep breaths and got up off of her bedroom floor. She climbed back up onto her bed still tired after yesterday's late night but as she got up the sun rose over the horizon as a new day began.
Moondust silently left her bedroom to see if her mother was awake yet. Moondust looked in on her mother who was still asleep and snoring softly. Moondust slowly began to leave, not wanting to wake up her mother and stop her from getting any more sleep. Before she could reach the door, her mother asked "Bad dream?" Moondust turned her head and nodded. Before she knew it, her mother's arms were around her in a great big hug.
The two ponies walked outside and looked to the horizon as the last of the sun came out over the horizon. Moondust's mother gave her daughter an affectionate rub with her muzzle. Moondust thought for a moment and then asked her mother "How far away are the stars?"
"Moondust, my dear, I don't know and it doesn't matter, what is important is that they are there and that we can see them."
Moondust thought about what her mother had said then asked "So are the stars just there to make the sky look nice at night?"
"Oh, Moondust, you know the stars are more than just pretty things in the sky. Ponies can walk to the edge of the world and home again if they know which stars to follow."
"I know but, the stars older than the ponies who follow them. They have nothing to gain from being there and...”
Her mother interrupted her "I know you had a bad dream about the stars but that is no reason to ask why they should be where they are. Stars are all very important, every star is there to remind us of something good in the world whether we know it or not."
Moondust thought about the stars and wandered how many there were then said "How does that work? There aren't that many stars in the sky are there?"
Her mother replied "Some stars are very far away, so far away that nopony can see them with just their eyes, they need special equipment to see that far away and even then there are still some stars that are too far away to see." Moondust was now deep in thought and was about to ask her mother another question but stopped herself. She had asked enough questions for one morning.