• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,635 Views, 90 Comments

My Shining Love - DraconequusMaximus



Cadance was killed in a surprise attack on the crystal empire. Shining has ruled alone for three years now while falling into a depression & out of touch with his family. A hero returns to the crystal empire to help him again find happiness &amp

  • ...
27
 90
 3,635

The Routine

Spike and Shining had gone on several dates in the last month, they took turns coming up with activities and picking the eateries they visited. Things were going well so far, though the couple was currently keeping things quiet. They were worried that if things didn't work out it would upset the ponies, the crystal ponies loved both their hero and their king dearly. For now, the ponies merely saw them as good friends. Shining continued to rule, and Spike continued to assist. Spike kept things running smoothly, and could put Shining in his place if need be.

Spike had become somewhat of a creature of habit over the years, Twilight's influence had ensured that. Spike had drawn up schedules for every day of the week for him and Shining. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays were for official meetings with nobles and other important ponies. Thursdays were reserved for open court, anypony in the empire could visit and petition things from Shining while Spike stood to the side to advise him. Fridays were half days, the day was for inspections, while the evening was for Spike and Shining's date nights. Saturdays were laid aside for charity functions and public appearances.

Today was Sunday, though it had become better known as training day to those in the government. The entirety of the castle was required to participate. Shining was indeed the king, but would always be a soldier at heart. As such everypony that worked inside the castle had to at least attend self-defense classes and pass yearly physicals. Shining wanted to make sure everypony could defend themselves, he feared another incident like the changeling invasions. The guards had all met Shining's approval and were sparring with one another as Shining faced a much greater foe.

"Gonna take more than shields to stop this dragon bubble boy!" Spike yelled as he tore through a magical magenta sphere before it could envelope him.

Shining scowled at the nickname Spike had given him as he charged his horn for another spell. His horn's glow spread outward, enveloping himself in another shield. Spike merely rolled his eyes, but Shining doubled the shield, the second over the first. The first shield floated in the middle of the second, somehow defying gravity without constant magic flow. He didn't stop there however, he added a horizontal ring of spikes that floated just above the second layer. Spike blinked a few times in disbelief.

"Okay, so that's more than a shield." Spike said somewhat impressed.

"Been working on this one for awhile, I think I'm gonna call it the death chariot." Shining answered smugly.

"Really? Because I like the hamster ball of doom better." Spike taunted, egging the now confident stallion on.

Shining inhaled and snorted threateningly, signaling he was about to take the offensive. Shining began running at surprising speeds, intending to use his new creation to ram into Spike. Both the first and second shields moved under his hooves with the spiked ring spinning in place. It would be difficult to destroy such powerful defenses while avoiding the saw-like ring. Spike barely had time to take to the air, narrowly avoiding the powerful assault. Shining slammed into the wall of the training grounds, producing a large hole. Shining walked backward to remove himself from the wall, the ball following as it had before. Once freed he looked upwards, noticing a distinct lack of dragon. He saw a flash of purple in his peripheries, but was too late to do anything. Spike had hidden in the corner of the room right behind Shining, using his claws to grip the ceiling, eliminating the sound of wing-beats that would give him away.

Spike landed on the ring, one leg on either side of the sphere. Shining's eyes went wide as Spike began punching the outer sphere repeatedly. Spike was aware the spikes couldn't penetrate his scaly hide, but they'd certainly hurt. This way he could avoid the spikes, and his weight held them in place. The outer sphere began cracking after ten or so rapid punches, taking much more damage than a shield could have a month ago. Shining was a force to be reckoned with now that he wasn't using up all of his power every day.

Much to Spike's surprise, Shining dispelled the magical constructs entirely. The stallion quickly rolled out from under the falling dragon, narrowly avoiding being crushed by Spike's bulk. As Spike struggled to right himself Shining lit his horn again, not taking the time to use a spell. Instead he blasted Spike in the chest with raw magical energy. Spike lay there smoking for a moment, eventually sitting up with a grin on his face.

"Okay, you got me there. Didn't expect you to let the shields go like that." Spike chuckled, no worse for the wear except for a ring of ash where the blast had struck.

"Yeah, but you didn't make it easy for me. If you'd managed to get away I might have been through, I didn't have another shot like that in me." Shining replied somewhat out of breath as he regained his normal cheery demeanor.

"I let you win, you'd look terrible if I'd managed to clock you like last week." Spike joked as he brushed himself off.

"Hey, that black eye went away after a couple days." Shining replied.

The two shared a few good laughs before heading from the training grounds to the dining hall. They always worked up quite an appetite despite stopping their brawls after the first hit. Shining had his usual after training meal, three soy corn dogs and a root beer float. Spike had his usual everything, coupled with hard cider special ordered from Sweet Apple Acres. Somehow Spike always managed to finish his mountain of food before Shining could finish his comparably meager meal. Despite the astonishing speed at which he devoured his food he always had good table manners.

"How on earth do you make all that food disappear without gaining any weight?" Shining asked as he stared at Spike's empty platter.

"I need lots of calories and variety, otherwise I'd need to start eating meat to get what I need to stay healthy. Gems are great and all, but not all that filling. " Spike explained as he patted his stomach.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot you're supposed to eat meat, I guess I've known you so long I just forgot about that." Shining said guiltily.

"Eh, it's fine. I don't particularly wanna eat meat unless I have to." Spike replied with an indifferent shrug.

"Who would have thought, a vegetarian dragon with impeccable table manners." Shining chuckled.

"Hey, I take great great pride in my table manners. A true gentleman should- Buuuuuuurrrp" Spike interrupted himself with a powerful belch, a letter reassembled itself from ashes a split second later. It landed on Shining's head, held in place just above his horn.

"Wow, that's attractive." Shining said sarcastically as he levitated the letter off of himself.

Spike blushed and grabbed the letter from Shining's telekinetic grasp. He examined the seal, revealing it to be a familiar pink star. Heh, Twi's probably just worried. I haven't written in about a month. Spike mused. He had been so busy lately he hadn't been keeping regular correspondence with the girls back home. He broke the seal, opening the letter.

Dear Spike,

You haven't written in awhile, I know I'm not your mother but I worry. The girls wouldn't mind hearing from you either, everypony misses you. We know you're busy helping Shining run the empire, and we're really proud of you. Anyway, since things are going well in the empire I volunteered to pay the two of you a visit on Equestria's behalf. I'll be there to talk about business, but really it's just an excuse to see the both of you. Depending on how fast I can get through my work for the week, I should be able to come by in a day or two. I'll be traveling using the new ultra long range teleportation spell Celestia taught me! I really look forward to seeing you, but I don't want you telling Shining about this. I want it to be a surprise.

Love, Twilight

Spike looked the letter over silently, he wanted to see Twilight, but didn't want to keep secrets from Shining. He decided to keep quiet after some internal debate, Twilight would have a fit if he spoiled the surprise. He lifted the letter into the air and incinerated it with his flames, making certain nopony would see it. He looked back to Shining who was looking at him expectantly.

"What was that about?" Shining asked.

"Just Twi, I haven't wrote home in awhile, she was getting worried." Spike replied, giving him a half truth.

"Well she did hatch you, I think she sort of sees herself as your mother or something." Shining theorized.

"Please don't remind me. I'm dating you, her brother. You see why that comparison might bother me?" Spike said shuddering slightly.

"Ew, yeah okay. Grossed out now, sorry." Shining agreed as his face took on a greenish hue.

As the nausea lessened, Spike got to thinking about Twilight's visit. He kept his silence until they got to the castle's private study. Only Shining, Spike, and Equestria's princesses knew of it's location. It was created by Sombra over a thousand years ago, left undiscovered until somepony found the tyrant's journal. The room itself was surrounded by three feet of enchanted crystal, nothing could get in or out without the password. Shining stepped up to a painting on the wall of some long forgotten noble wearing a strange feathered hat. This was the secret entrance, disguised by powerful spells. You wouldn't ever notice the painting unless you knew it was there. Shining looked around, ensuring nopony was in the area. Once the coast was clear he uttered the password in a tone barely above a whisper.

Sombra rules

Shining had yet to find a way to change the password, but it was on the to-do-list. The noble in the painting smiled as it and the wall transformed into a door. As soon as the pair were inside the door closed, and the wall returned to normal. The private study was essentially the world's most comfortable panic room, Shining and Spike came here to relax after training and dates. It had a home theater, sound system, full bar, separate fridges for food and drink, and a comfy sofa that could easily seat ten ponies. Shining had remodeled it himself after it was discovered, originally using it as his man-cave. Spike and Shining settled in on the sofa, snuggling as they could only do in this private room. They loved the quiet time they could have alone only have twice a week. There was too little time left over from running the country to do anything but sleep most days. The couple enjoyed their shared warmth for a few moments before Spike spoke what was on his mind.

"Hey Shining? Do you think we should tell the girls, and maybe the princesses about us? Just, you know, next time we see them?" Spike asked the relaxed stallion.

"Hm, yeah, I suppose so. I wouldn't have a problem with that. I wouldn't mind telling the empire either, but it's kinda early. We've just fixed the empire, I don't wanna make everypony unhappy again if something happens." Shining admitted.

"Alright, just curious." Spike replied through a big yawn.

It wasn't long before Shining drifted off to sleep, Spike made a wonderful heater. Spike lay awake with his own thoughts for awhile longer however. He had no doubt Shining had faith in their relationship, but he knew the cause of Shining's concern was that the empire's happiness was directly connected to it's welfare. Shining was still worried he'd let his personal unhappiness effect the country like it had before. Spike could relate, he had lost control of himself once, during his birthday many years ago. He had nearly destroyed his home, and could have easily taken the lives of his loved ones in a rage. He had been afraid of himself for some time even after his friends reassured him all was well. These things just took time, and some TLC from a certain dragon wouldn't hurt either. In truth, he was more worried about Twilight's reaction to their relationship more than anything. For now though, he let his cares slip away. He was going to enjoy a much needed nap with his coltfriend.

Author's Note:

Woo! Back to business with this story! I realized that I needed some more conflict, so even though Shining isn't a wreck anymore he still has issues. Spike is being understanding, but will his patience last? What will Twilight think of all this? How many more rhetorical questions will I ask? Who knows?

Anyway, I've had several people ask about this story so here it is! I look forward to your continued support, thanks guys!