• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,634 Views, 90 Comments

My Shining Love - DraconequusMaximus



Cadance was killed in a surprise attack on the crystal empire. Shining has ruled alone for three years now while falling into a depression & out of touch with his family. A hero returns to the crystal empire to help him again find happiness &amp

  • ...
27
 90
 3,634

Happy Ending

Shining Armor woke up in his bedroom with a mild headache and some soreness. Looking to his side he saw that he was alone in his bed. Spike was nowhere to be seen and the clock on the far wall led Shining Armor to think he had been out for some time. It was well past noon, while the sun hadn't even peeked over the horizon yet when Somblis had been defeated.

Upon getting up Shining found that he was in the nude, meaning someone had undressed him. Hopefully Spike.

Although most ponies are usually naked... Huh. Never really thought that before. Shining thought to himself.

As soon as Shining was on the floor his legs wobbled, feeling somewhat weaker than before.

"Whoa, that's weird. Guess the big finish took more out of me than I thought."

Shining regardless headed over to the dresser for one of his updated uniforms. As he went Shining thought he noticed something strange in the full-length bedroom mirror he passed by. Backing up a bit Shining stood in front of the mirror at an angle to properly get a look at his sides. There was definitely something there that shouldn't have been.

"Wings!?" Shining exclaimed loud enough for anyone within a mile to hear.

Shining turned to see the source of a sudden creaking noise. The bedroom door had been left open a crack, and whoever was posted outside had heard Shining's little outburst. A second later a familiar crystal mare trotted into the room with a cheery expression.

"Wordplay? What the hay is going on?! Where's Spike?! Why do I have wings?!" Shining borderline panicked.

Wordplay put out her hoof in an effort to passively calm Shining down.

"Gonna let Twi field the alicorn question. But I can tell you you've been asleep for a week straight. Spike has been running things with me and Twilight's help without leaving your side.

"Twilight and I managed to get him to go out and rest, but he just ended up helping with reconstruction efforts. You actually picked a good time to wake up. The Boss is running on fumes, but if he sees you're okay he'll most likely calm down." Wordplay explained.

Shining was a bit taken aback by the fact that he had turned into an alicorn, but perhaps more-so by the fact that he had been unconscious for the past seven days.

Wordplay used her gold-colored magical aura to reach into the top drawer of Shining's dresser and levitate a military uniform out for Shining. Shining accepted it and saw that it was a modified version of the purple ensemble Spike had the royal tailor make. Now there were wing-holes.

Seeing that Spike was still paying attention to every little detail of what needed done comforted Shining somehow. Shining slipped the uniform on and found it fit him perfectly. Or at least it did once Shining figured out how to move his new appendages well enough to slip them through their designated spots.

Once Shining was dressed he looked himself over in the mirror, taking himself in. He was still the same old Shining Armor, just as Twilight had still been Twilight after she had ascended. For better or worse Shining was an alicorn, but he was still the king of the Crystal Empire, and he was still the same pony who loved a certain purple dragon.

Satisfied with his sameness, Shining followed Wordplay out of the bedroom to wherever she was taking him. Within a few minutes Shining and Wordplay arrived to the castle foregrounds where Twilight was looking over some blueprints at a fold-out picnic table.

Twilight was wearing a construction helmet and had a walkie-talkie clipped to a belt on her new orange vest. She was too busy comparing some figures on a clipboard to the measurements on the blueprints to notice Wordplay trot up behind her in a care-free manner.

Shining Armor could barely contain his laughter as Wordplay leaned in closely and delicately nibbled on Twilight's ear, causing her wings to flare out at her sides.

"Wordplay! I told you not to do that in pu-" Twilight started.

Twilight cut herself off when she saw Shining Armor standing a few feet away. Twilight rushed over and wrapped Shining in a powerful hug, causing Shining to reflexively open his wings from being startled. Shining worked through the pain of his wings being moved involuntarily in their sensitive state from being only recently grown. It was apparent that Twilight needed the hug.

"I'm so glad you're awake! Spike hasn't slept since he woke up after the fight with Somblis. He started falling asleep while moving rubble so I forced him to take an early lunch." Twilight exclaimed.

At the word lunch Shining Armor's stomach saw fit to remind him that he hadn't had a proper meal in some time. Hearing the rumbling of Shining's stomach Wordplay coughed into her hoof and directed Shining's attention over to a food stall Shining recognized from the most recent crystal fair.

"Spike wanted to make sure the construction workers were well fed, and that you'd have some comfort food to help process the whole waking-up-as-an-alicorn thing." Wordplay explained.

A small tear of joy rolled down Shining's cheek as he trotted to the stand to order a half-dozen corn-dogs. The delicious junk-food on sticks never stood a chance as Shining Armor gobbled them up with extreme prejudice.

Now that Shining was fed the issues at hoof could be properly addressed.

"Twilight, could you use that big brain of yours to explain exactly why I'm an alicorn?" Shining asked, knowing full well that Twilight had almost definitely figured it out by now.

Twilight entered lecture-mode a second later, seemingly having been waiting to answer Shining Armor's questions.

"Essentially Spike's heavy dose of love-based, super-potent, ascended dragon magic completely assimilated itself into your own mana pool since you're the primary focus of Spike's affections. The new, extremely-dense magical energy saturated your body, putting you in an ascended-like state. Which for ponies is alicorns.

"We were worried when Spike woke up and you didn't, but after a cursory mana scan I discovered your mana signature was in flux. By the next morning you had become an alicorn and in doing so your body acclimated to the new power-level. You are now the first force-grown alicorn, though Spike had no idea that he was altering you in any way.

"As for Wordplay and myself, our mana pools increased in size a bit, but we had only received a comparatively minor dose of Spike's raw mana. Where as you received the same dose, then a dose I estimate to have been around one-hundred times larger. Spike had no way of knowing his mana pool was so vast though. In his altered state it was more like an ocean than a pool. Spike's been blaming himself because he thinks he hurt you." Twilight explained.

"Yeah. I've tried persuading the boss to get some shut-eye, but he's determined to keep going till he knows you're okay and the empire is set to rights. Everypony's been pretty worried about the two of you." Wordplay added.

Shining's mood fell hearing that Spike was blaming himself for things again.

"I've gotta go talk to him. Do either of you know where he is?" Shining implored the girls.

"Around the other side of the palace. You can't miss him." Wordplay piped up, a hopeful smile on her face.

Shining nodded and quickly started galloping his way around the outer walls of the palace. Despite the soreness of growing wings and laying in bed for a week straight Shining made excellent time.

After reaching his destination Shining saw precisely why Wordplay had said Shining couldn't have missed Spike.

Spike was once again in his giant form, snacking on the unusable chunks of crystal debris created in the fight with Somblis. It seemed Spike was having trouble staying awake, as his enormous eyes constantly tried to shut themselves if Spike didn't stay vigilant.

Even with the radiant new crystal finish on Spike's scales Shining Armor could see that there were dark bags under Spike's eyes. It was plain to see that Spike had been trying to take responsibility for anything and everything in Shining's absence.

There was a half eaten chunk of crystal in Spike's maw which was slowly and lazily being reduced to nothing. Shining's heart ached at seeing Spike beating himself up over an accident that had turned out for the best. Shining wasted no time in running up to Spike to better get his attention.

"Hey! Sleepy! Wake up!" Shining shouted up at Spike.

Spike's bloodshot eyes shot open and the dragon blinked in rapid succession out of surprise. Spike hurriedly chewed the crystal in his mouth to nothing and swallowed it. Then in a bright flash of blue-green light Spike was his normal size again, minus the crystal sheen he had inherited from the crystal heart.

The newly fused crystal heart in Spike's chest still glowed brightly as Spike glided down to Shining.

Spike had barely touched down before he grabbed Shining and pulled him into a hug so powerful Shining thought he might pass out again.

"I'm so sorry! I could have killed you! It was too much for one unicorn!" Spike cried, boiling tears freely streaming down his face.

Shining lit his horn and created an energy-simulacrum of Spike's hand. Shining then used it to slap his lover, ending the outburst that prevented Shining from actually getting a word in. Shining let the construct dissolve and partially freed himself from Spike's loosened death-grip.

Shining used his fore-hooves to pull Spike's face into his own and surprised the distraught dragon with a passionate kiss.

At first Spike's surprise prevented him from enjoying it fully, but soon the dragon's buzzing thoughts were all silenced as he got into the groove. The kiss lasted as long as possible, ending only when the two of them had to come up for air. Both Shining and Spike were huffing and puffing for breath through pleased smiles.

Once they were able to catch their breaths Shining took lead in the conversation.

"I get why you were so worried, but everything is fine now, Spike. I'm okay. Maybe even better than before. You did what needed done, and we saved all of the ponies from that monster. I couldn't ask more of you, Spike. You got pretty banged up yourself while saving Twi and the others. We're all fine now, and that's all that matters."

Spike wiped away the last of his boiling tears and placed Shining back on the ground.

"I love you, Shining. I was kind of stupid for thinking that a new set of wings or a new heart would change anything, but to be completely honest this is my first relationship. I kinda worry about stuff even if I don't show it." Spike admitted.

Shining snorted at the comment, finding it hilarious.

"I love you too, Spike. But you do remember that Cadence was my first relationship right? You're only my second ever. Plus you're the first guy I've ever been with, and obviously the first dragon. I was pretty nervous too at first." Shining admitted.

"That's actually kind of comforting, I guess it slipped my mind. But now things can get back to normal and we can send all the extra hires home. Reconstruction should be pretty quick too, thanks to yours truly." Spike bragged, flexing the muscles of his right arm.

"Yeah, I was kinda surprised to see you could grow again. I thought that was a one-time deal." Shining replied.

"I'm still figuring things out too. I can grow as long as I'm loved I think, and now I have fire breath and crystal breath. Whatever's left of Somblis is trapped in a big green diamond. No magic, or ghosts, or anything is getting out of it." Spike said confidently.

"What'd you do with it?" Shining asked, slightly concerned.

"I threw it into the repaired D.M.A.V.'s bottom vault and sealed the whole thing and all the locks with the same crystal. Then Twilight put like, a million wards on it. Including one she invented that accounts for time magic." Spike explained, assuaging Shining's fears.

Shining's mind was put to ease, knowing the Crystal Empire would soon be set to rights. Only once every other issue was out of focus did something new appear on Shining's radar.

"So, uh... Do you think that since I'm an alicorn now I'm gonna live a crazy long time?" Shining wondered.

Spike had actually considered that while Shining was asleep. He wasn't certain if Shining was guaranteed a longer lifespan or not, but had resolved himself to stay with Shining regardless.

"I dunno. But no matter what I'll be along for the ride, just as long as you'll have me." Spike replied with conviction.

Shining smiled, loving how cheesy Spike was.

"I was hoping you'd say something like that. Maybe we can double-date with Twilight and Wordplay. I was kinda surprised that we didn't catch hell for plotting to set them up." Shining said in relief.

"They said that since they found each other before we intervened we're off the hook. But for now I think we should call it a day and head to the study. I'd really like to curl up on the couch with you and watch some terrible movies." Spike said before yawning loudly.

Shining nodded his agreement, noticing Spike's already seemed closer to his normal self than just a few moments ago.

"That sounds good to me. You need a break, Spike. If you're gonna be with me you gotta be able to keep up." Shining joked.

"Pfft. Just try and shake me Bubble-Boy." Spike retorted playfully.

As the couple shared a hearty laugh they walked back to the front gates of the castle for some quality time. Both of them had been through a great deal recently, but it seemed nothing could separate them. Spike and Shining were determined to have a long, fulfilling relationship as they watch over the Crystal Empire that they loved and that loved them in return.

The End

Author's Note:

So, I had a hell of a time deciding exactly how I wanted the end to be. I talked to some friends about it and the majority wanted Shining to become an alicorn to live longer with Spike. I had considered that initially, but I was on the fence until then.

Normally I wouldn't just do something for crowd pleasing, but I genuinely wanted some input to help my decision along. I couldn't ask my audience either, considering it would have spoiled things.

So I made Shining an alicorn and I'm prepared to catch some flack for that. I strongly considered letting Shining visit the ascended space to see Cadence, but I personally didn't want to deal with that much feel.

This is probably the most open-ended thing I've done, or at least I think so. I liked it this way, as now their relationship is altogether stronger after the Somblis incident. There's infinite possibility for their futures now, and I'll let you imagine what happens from that point on.

I'd like to thank everyone for reading, and I hope you'll support me in future writing endeavors. My next story will probably be up by my birthday (May 8th). I'm going to leave the plot a mystery until then, but one half of the main pairing will of course be Spike, as per usual.

Comments ( 11 )

Nice way to end the story. Thank you for writing it.

5858011 No problem! :eeyup:

You've been one of my biggest supporters, so thank you for sticking with me. My next story will hopefully be able to update a bit more frequently, so look forward to it. :raritywink:

Its wonderful just wonderful! im glad you left it open ended so that people's imagination could set the stage for the rest of shining's and spikes lives, i thought that was a smart choice on your part. Anyway it was a lovely story and a interesting couple and im very im presssed how you can make so many stories about spike and have them all so uniquely individual! bravo bravo! :heart:

5858166 Thanks! :raritywink:

The next Spike story will be out in early May if things work out as planned. :scootangel:

Shining Armor Alicorn huh?.....

He'll be fine if he doesn't turn into prince BlueBlood (Of course he won't xD)

Also it was a nice story, i wouldn't expect anything else from DraconequusMaximus himself. :derpytongue2:

This is the first time I've seen Shining as an alicorn, but the way you did it makes sense and adds a bit to the ending. I was glad to see a happy ending after all these two have been through. Thanks so much for writing this one! You're the king of obscure Spike M/M shipfics. :ajsmug:

5866181 Thanks! I have high hopes for my next Spike ship story too. :twistnerd:

5866246

Care to spoil what you have planned? :moustache:

5895942 I'm gonna admit I don't actually have anything against Flash. But I was curious to see whether or not people would like me bashing him or dislike it. I started this story not all that long after I saw EG, and was surprised by all the blatant hate for him. I just like seeing everyone's opinions. I'm not really a fan of him since we don't know all that much about him, but I don't want him dead like some bronies.

I truly enjoyed this AU, although there is one thing I feel the impulse to point out: perhaps you throw way too much Deus ex machina during the conflict and resolution.

However, like I said before I really enjoyed all the ride. It was fun and had just about the necessary ammount of well structured plot development.

Congratulations and thank you for writing it.

Great example of a romance that doesn't need to highlight the genders involved to make a good story. It is just tossed in there like hair color, and the 'society' doesn't need anymore than that. :heart:

Login or register to comment