• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,633 Views, 90 Comments

My Shining Love - DraconequusMaximus



Cadance was killed in a surprise attack on the crystal empire. Shining has ruled alone for three years now while falling into a depression & out of touch with his family. A hero returns to the crystal empire to help him again find happiness &amp

  • ...
27
 90
 3,633

Between Life And Death, Beyond The Norm, And Back Into The Fray

Spike already lost consciousness just before Somblis encased the pavilion in another black dome, ensuring nopony could get to the crystal heart. It seemed even though Somblis had won the evil beast still had some fear of the crystal heart. It could always be filled with more power, but only if it could be gotten to.

The utter darkness of the dome swallowed Spike. Keeping anyone from even attempting to save him as well. But against all odds Spike opened his eyes again as the darkness had suddenly grown even blacker and colder than before. It was as though Spike was in the heart of a black hole, but somehow he knew that wasn't right.

This is the end. Huh? Am I just supposed to wait for the light at the end of the tunnel? That's how it goes in movies. Spike wondered.

Now the pain in his chest was dull, but still noticeable. It made Spike think that he had almost completely bled out at this point. He couldn't move to look at the cut on his chest, but in the blackness he was drifting listlessly in an unknowable current. Spike's mind growing more muddled with each passing second.

This is weirdly peaceful... I don't wanna go, but it seems like I don't have a choice.

Now that's a bunch of horse-apples if I've ever heard any.

Spike's eyes opened wide, alerted by something. He thought he had heard something, but the sound had seemed muffled to his ears. Like someone had been talking to him through a wall.

Then, out in the distance of the blackness a light began shining.

The light grew quickly, and the dull flow Spike had been floating in became a rushing torrent. It was as though something was throwing Spike into the light. In any other circumstance Spike would have been terrified. But the light was warm, and it felt very familiar.

When the flow stopped, the entirety of the darkness was repelled in a blinding flash.

When it was over, Spike found himself standing on what appeared to be space. There were stars and warmth aplenty, and Spike somehow felt as though there was something familiar to this place. Even though Spike was sure he had definitely never been here before.

"This is new. I kinda thought heaven would be more... populated?" Spike said to himself as he looked around.

Looking down at his chest, Spike saw his wound had stopped bleeding. There was still a noticeable gash, but Spike didn't think it was all that important if he was dead. Though he silently worried it might creep out other dead people if there were actually any around.

"This isn't heaven, Spike. This is Ascended Space."

Spike turned around to see the last pony he had expected. Though after being impaled it shouldn't have surprised Spike as much as it did. Standing what could have only been ten feet away from Spike was Cadence. The princess of love, and Shining Armor's late wife.

"If this isn't heaven, then why am I seeing you here?" Spike asked, nervously clutching his chest.

Cadence looked at Spike with a motherly smile, understanding his confusion.

"Twilight probably told you about Alicorn Space right? Well, that's just what ponies call it. When I died I learned some things. Ascended Space can be used by anyone. They just need to meet the right conditions to ascend.

"For me I mastered love magic. Twilight invented magic made of strength brought out from the bonds of friendship between ponies. Now you Spike, are here to relieve me of my duties. You are to become the avatar of love in the world. My successor."

Spike's mind was something of a blank. He couldn't believe that what was happening was real.

"Cadence, why me? Aren't I dead too? This doesn't make any sense!" Spike complained, the wound in his chest starting to ache more and more.

Cadence raised her hoof and dozens of screens appeared throughout the Ascended Space.

Each screen showed moments of Spike's life. Each and every accomplishment was displayed, no matter how minor. From Spike's days as a whelp, the defeat of Sombra, the Equestria Games, and everything since returning and joining Shining. Even some of the smaller moments of Shining and Spike together, just being themselves with one another on dates or in the study.

The biggest screen directly behind Cadence showed Spike lying to Twilight so she would leave with the others. Then it showed Spike falling to Somblis's horn and hitting the ground next to the depleted crystal heart.

"You Spike, have always loved and genuinely cared for others. Ever since you could walk and talk nearly everything you did was for those you cared about, not yourself. Even when nobody noticed or didn't ask, and even when it meant you got left out. Then you eventually grew up and the first thing you did was come knock some sense into Shining Armor for his and everyone's sake.

"Even when you knew that you would die fighting for those you loved you kept on going. Your selfless love for Shining, Twilight, and everyone else has earned you the role I once held. Even though you can't use magic like a unicorn you have a way of spreading love and light to those that know you whether anyone realizes it or not.

"And as for dying, you're made of pretty stern stuff. You're hanging in there, but just barely. If you ascend now, the power of love can heal you. The crystal heart will serve as your new heart, and you will take on it's role as the heart of the empire. The love that the ponies of the empire have for the empire and you personally will give you strength, and the power to save your... our loved ones."

Though there was a smile on her face, Cadence let her tears flow. Even in death, love was the awe inspiring force that she understood better than anyone else. But the look on her face somehow told Spike that he knew much more than he thought he did.

Spike felt his heartbeat speed up, and the pain start to vanish. Looking at his chest, the wound was no longer there. Instead was a stripe of glowing blue-green crystal that felt warm to the touch. It was the crystal heart Spike had held years ago, now beating in his chest as if it were a natural part of Spike's anatomy.

"Your heart answered for you. Your love for Shining and the rest of our ponies wouldn't let you decline." Cadence explained.

Spike was still fairly uncertain he wasn't dreaming, but if he wasn't he couldn't pass up the chance to go back and defeat Somblis. Not to mention see Shining and the rest of his family again.

"Okay. How does this work? Do I have to become a star and fall to earth like Twilight? What are my new powers going to be?" Spike asked excitedly.

Cadence had to stifle a comment about Spike having changed little since childhood. It would have been weird given the situation. Though it made Cadence quite happy to see that Spike was so compatible with Shining.

"I'm not totally sure really. No dragon has ever ascended before. I guess your dragon powers will just get stronger?" Cadence shrugged.

"Okay... So how do I get out of here?" Spike wondered.

Cadence smiled and walked forward. Before Spike could say anything he found himself in a hug. After a second of processing Spike reciprocated the hug. Truthfully the thought had occurred to him before then but he had assumed Cadence would have been intangible.

"Give Shining a kiss from me when you get back. Okay? And tell him I want the two of you to be happy." Cadence asked Spike pleadingly.

"Of course. And you don't know how big of a relief that is. I still feel like I'm stealing him from you sometimes you know?" Spike replied without hesitation, a tear trailing down his face.

To Spike's surprise Cadence giggled as they embraced.

"All is fair in love and war, Spike. You're the new love and Shining is a stallion of war. I had my time. Even though I miss him, I can always look down on the two of you and smile. Being dead gives you some perspective on these things. We'll all be together one day, but for now it's time to send you back."

Cadence's horn hit the crystal visible through Spike's chest and a flash of warm light enveloped the Ascended Space.

When the light vanished Spike found himself in the darkness once more. Though this time it was merely the black dome above him. Spike was relieved that he was alive, and feeling the wound on his chest he could feel the crystal that had become a part of him. Additionally the damage done to his chest by the energy blast had been healed.

Other than that, Spike couldn't tell if anything about him had changed. But there were more pressing matters at hand.

"For now I just need to get out of here and kick bug-pony monster ass."

Spike tried clawing at the dome, but it didn't seem to do any good. Like with the last dome Spike sucked in a great amount of air and assaulted the dome with his fire-breath. Other than noticing his fire was an electric-blue color instead of his normal emerald it didn't seem to have much effect.

Spike clutched the spot over his heart once more, hoping that something would allow him to break free.

I've got ponies depending on me here. If this bubble is still up then Somblis is still around. Shining can't be in a good way yet. He used up too much energy saving the guards. If I can't do anything then what was the point of ascending or whatever? Spike lamented.

As Spike thought of the safety of his loved ones the crystal heart began to glow within him. Even through Spike's claws the light began shining forth and Spike began to feel tingly. Spike's tingles soon turned into slight spasms and before long Spike felt himself pressing on the dome.

"Oh crap. Am I growing? Is this my new power?" Spike worried frantically.

Soon Spike's form filled the black dome and it began to stress under the increasing pressure. It was as if it was a balloon and Spike's growing form was an increasing amount of air. Like any balloon it could only hold so much until it ruptures and releases it's contents to the air.

However Spike was a bit too impatient to wait that long. With the dome already straining to contain his physical form Spike sped up the destruction by releasing a truly massive burst of fire. In an explosion of blinding light Spike freed himself from his prison in a display the entire empire could likely see.

Spike's growth ceased, and when the light went out he was left standing next to the palace. Spike was easily now around the same size as the palace, and at the moment he was doing a great job of outshining it. Spike's scales shared the same type of lustrous glimmer that the crystal ponies had at most times.

Spike had no time to gawk at himself as things seemed like they had taken a turn for the worse.

Several buildings had been destroyed and all the crystals were dyed pitch black. Spike could see Shining and the military fighting Somblis a short distance away.Somblis seemed a fair bit bigger than before, but it wasn't much of a concern in Spike's eyes.

Conversely, it seemed each and every eye in the empire was on Spike. Which was understandable.

Okay... Everyone's looking at me. Gotta say something cool... Spike panicked.

"Ponies of the Crystal Empire, hear me! I have been forced to borrow the crystal heart to save myself, but only so that I may save you. All the ponies I care about! Lend me your support, and I will defeat those that would do harm to our home and all that live here!" Spike's booming voice carried across the Crystal Empire. Though oddly enough Spike's mouth didn't open, as though he was broadcasting directly into their minds.

The ponies didn't hesitate in cheering for Spike. A chorus of praise and adoration from the soldiers lit the empire anew, causing Spike to shine brighter than ever before.

Somblis wasn't having it and fired a volley of dark magic bolts into the crowd. Spike rushed Somblis, but Somblis took to the air and resumed cloaking. Spike kept his eyes peeled but scooped up Shining, Twilight, and Wordplay.

The rest of the soldiers scattered, seeing that things were out of their hooves. But still they loyally stuck to the safer areas to wait for further orders. Though with Spike's appearance it didn't look like they were going to have much more use in this fight.

Carefully, Spike placed his loved ones atop his head on the bridge of his nose so he could see them better.

Hey guys. Sorry I'm late to the party. But I think I've got a decent excuse. Spike chuckled awkwardly.

Shining Armor was a little shocked. Especially since it sounded as though Spike were standing right in front of him. It was an awful lot to take in all at once. There were too many questions running about in Shining's tired mind.

"How? What? I... I don't even know what's going on." Shining Armor stuttered.

Long story short, Somblis skewered me and I almost died. But I fused with the crystal heart and ascended to the dragon-equivalent of an alicorn. Cadence showed up and told me I'm supposed to take over as the avatar of love. And Shining... she approves of us.

Shining's eyes widened and quickly filled with tears. He quickly grabbed hold of Twilight who was just as teary eyed and hugged her in place of Spike. Wordplay placed her hoof on Spike's brow, a hopeful grin on her muzzle.

"Loving the new look boss-man. Just don't expect me to fetch you a tanker full of coffee every morning." Wordplay joked.

Eh, I think I can shrink again once everything's over with. But I can still hear Somblis buzzing about, sizing me up. Twi, do you think you could tweak your changeling revealer spell for undoing invisibility?

Twilight and Shining broke their hug and looked around for Somblis. It was a pointless effort considering it was invisible, but it was more of a reflex than anything else.

"I certainly can. But I'd have to make it a wave-like spell since I can't see to shoot it and I'm way too low on mana for that." Twilight explained regretfully.

Take some of mine. I've got tons that I literally have no idea what to do with. Spike offered.

Before they knew it Spike's glow had begun to transfer to Shining, Twilight, and Wordplay through their hooves. They each felt incredibly rejuvenated, as if they had all just had a good night's sleep, full stomachs, and a warm bath.

"Whoa. I didn't know you could do that." Shining marveled.

Neither did I really. I'm just sorta rolling with it right now. Cadence couldn't tell me much other than that the crystal heart is my heart. I'm winging this. Just don't tell the ponies that.

Shining looked over the side of Spike's head to look at his chest. There was indeed a truly noticeable crystal-swath of Spike's chest that glowed blue-green in a way that pulsated like a heartbeat. Shining couldn't help but feel had failed to protect his loved ones again, but now it seemed like it was Spike's turn to play the knight in shining armor.

"Okay! The spell is just about to trigger! Everybody get ready!" Twilight shouted.

Shining Armor lit his horn and used his magic, causing the bulky armor he was wearing to fall off of him. Spike was more than enough protection for him and he had absolute faith in him. Shining created a shield and sword of energy at either side of himself using the magic Spike had given to him. Everyone knew it was Spike's fight now, but Shining Armor was never one to back down from a fight.

Twilight's horn glowed bright pink and the entire world seemed to become a rosy color. Up in the sky Somblis was revealed, ready to fight. Spike saw it in the air and unfolded his wings, casting a shadow over a great deal of the empire.

Hang onto your flanks ponies! Things are gonna get crazy! Spike shouted as he took flight.

Author's Note:

So... yeah. Getting close to the end there. I re-did both chapters several times and couldn't get them exactly how I wanted. I've had the end in my head for quite some time, but putting everything into words is something else.

I'm not particularly satisfied with this, but soon it will be all wrapped up and hopefully the next chapter will be a bit more pleasing. If all goes as planned the next chapter and the epilogue will be up sometime around the fifteenth of April.

These past two chapters would have been done sooner, but I couldn't get them right and I had a lot of personal stuff going on in the last week. A lot of touchy feely stuff that made things uncomfortable for everyone...
...

Anyway, as I said previously I'd never kill off Spike. Baby dragon is best pony. Let me know what you thought of the whole Ascended Space thing. I didn't think that only ponies should be able to ascend.