• Published 2nd Jan 2014
  • 3,629 Views, 90 Comments

My Shining Love - DraconequusMaximus



Cadance was killed in a surprise attack on the crystal empire. Shining has ruled alone for three years now while falling into a depression & out of touch with his family. A hero returns to the crystal empire to help him again find happiness &amp

  • ...
27
 90
 3,629

Ahead of Schedule

Spike was thankful that his life had been full of unexpected troubles and seemingly unbelievable catastrophes at the moment. When comparing everything he had been through to having Shining's parent's arrive early it didn't seem like much. Now all he had to do was prove to them that he was the same friendly little guy Twilight had hatched nearly two decades ago.

Spike, Shining, and Twilight all walked forward, Shining noticeably slower than the other two. Spike didn't look over at the stallion but nudged him forward with his tail. The trio stopped only a couple of feet from Night and Velvet, the latter of which was noticeably nervous. Spike's confidence waned almost entirely when he saw Velvet's eyes darting back and forth from his claws and fangs.

Shining saw the problem brewing and managed to muster enough courage to take the reigns.

"H-hi Mom, Dad. It's, uh been awhile huh?" Shining sputtered nervously.

That seemed to snap Velvet from her fear induced trance as she quickly wrapped her son into a powerful hug. Twilight was sure she heard several bones popping. After what seemed like an eternity Shining fell to the floor as his mother released him from her disproportionately strong grip.

"It's so good to see you in the flesh son, we've been worried sick you know." Night Light said happily as he helped Shining up.

"Has Mom been working out? I don't remember hugs hurting so much." Shining complained.

"I got a gym membership. I may be getting on in years but that doesn't mean I'll go down quietly." Velvet said proudly.

"Aw come on Velvet, you still look exactly like I remember you." Spike said hoping to gain her favor.

She looked up into Spike's face and flinched at the adolescent dragon's toothy grin. Spike felt like he had been stabbed in the heart, the look of fear from Velvet had cut deep. Spike took a few steps away from the group, even his spines drooping under the weight of his sadness.

Velvet saw the look of hurt on his face and rightfully felt guilty. She really wanted to believe Spike was the same energetic little boy she had known, but he was just so much different now. Before she could attempt to say anything Spike began talking again.

"I'm uh, gonna go get everything ready for your visit. Shouldn't take too long, but some things might need a little extra work. You are a day early after all." Spike said sadly without looking back at the group.

Shining was torn. He wanted to go make sure Spike was alright, but didn't want to leave his parents so soon. Spike apparently decided for him as he was out of sight before he could make up his mind. Luckily his L.S.B.F.F. wasn't going to leave him in the lurch.

"I'm gonna go help him out, he seemed... tired?" Twilight said awkwardly before galloping after Spike.

There was an awkward silence for a moment while all three of the remaining ponies tried to figure out what to say. Shining was looking at his surroundings, looking for something to go off of when he spotted his parents' luggage. He flagged down a pair of nearby guards and had them grab the luggage.

The momentary distraction gave Shining some time to think of something for him to do. He tried focusing on all the things that had recently changed in the empire, but most things were Spike's doing and brought him back to worrying. Eventually Shining's eyes caught his father's double-moon cutie mark, inspiring him.

"So, uh... While Spike straightens out our schedule and whatnot we can go see of the empire's newest attractions. It's not even open to the public yet, and we don't even have to leave the castle!" Shining suggested as he helped the guards with the luggage.

"That sounds fine dear, we did come a bit early. We can just tour the rest of the empire tomorrow." Velvet replied instantly, welcoming the distraction.

Shining breathed a sigh of relief and sent the guards on their way to the guest suite his parents would be staying in. Shining motioned for his mother and father to follow him. He had just the spot in mind to show them, and it was bound to impress at least Night.

Shining led them to a closed doorway with guards in front of it. He saluted them and they moved aside allowing their king and his parents access. To his parent's surprise the door slid open, revealing it was actually an elevator. Shining let them enter first and followed close behind. There were only two buttons, up and down with only the up button being lit. Shining pressed it and up they went, albeit slowly.

The typical boring elevator music played as they slowly ascended. Shining made note to try and find something catchier if possible, though he wasn't even sure where to go to change it or how. The elevator seemed to be taking quite awhile to reach the top floor, making Velvet and Night both look to Shining after several minutes.

"I know the elevator is kind of dull, but during Sombra's reign it was an endless magical staircase. It took us forever to disenchant, and until recently stairs were still the only way up here. The magic is still weird, making it impossible to teleport to without vanishing or getting trapped in a wall or something." Shining explained.

After a couple more minutes of relative silence the elevator came to a halt and a loud ping rang out as the doors slid open once more. As the room came into view Night and Velvet both ooed and ahed at the sights in front of them. Night was especially wide-eyed, just as Shining had expected.

The round room at the very top of the Crystal Palace that had once held the crystal heart in dormancy had been converted into an observatory. Various star charts, planetary models, and numerous other devices filled the room. A special covered walkway had been built all the way around, allowing for ponies to look to the city bellow or set up their own small telescopes.

But of course, the crowning glory of the observatory was the enormous telescope at the very center of the room. It was larger than any other telescope in the world, a truly magnificent piece of engineering. It had some kind of device along the left side of it, allowing for the adding and subtracting of lenses for varying degrees of magnification. The chair mounted to the device was equipped with control levers at the sides, allowing the stargazer to rotate the device as well as change angles.

Night Light was practically drooling as his eyes continued to be glued to the most beautiful telescope in the world. Shining was currently worried that he had accidentally broken his father. He waved his hoof in front of Night's face, snapping him out of his trance.

"Who constructed this marvelous work of art? I've never seen such a well made telescope, let alone one of this size." Night asked, his eyes still never leaving the machine.

"Uh... I think his name was Star Eyes? I dunno, Spike knew the guy and got a great deal on it in exchange for a large supply of crystal lenses. Apparently the empire's crystal quality is even better than his original source in Equestria." Shining explained with some difficulty.

Night's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates at his son's claim. Shining was genuinely worried that he might have a heart attack, or that his eyes would explode. Night grabbed him by the uniform, shaking him in his excitement.

"Starry Eyed?! He made this telescope?! He retired years ago, I've never had a chance to meet him! He was the best astronomer and telescope maker in the world! Can Spike get me an autograph?!" Night raved.

"Uh... sure? I'll ask him. But you could use the telescope if you want, I mean when it gets dark." Shining replied as he separated himself from his manic father.

Night squeed with delight and ran off to figure out all the controls of the beautiful machine, leaving Shining and his mother alone. Neither of them exactly knew what to say, making the awkwardness palpable. Velvet was the one to finally break the silence.

"I'm glad you're back to your old self again. We just didn't know what to do with ourselves, and I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for you." She said with both happiness and sadness in her eyes as well as her voice.

"It was hard, but I shouldn't have drug the whole country down with me. Spike was right to come knock some sense into me. I dunno if I could ever fully repay him. He got things running again, way faster than I ever could. Twilight instilled her love of order in him, that's for sure." Shining replied with conviction.

Velvet's expression fell at that, she had hoped the conversation wouldn't go down that path. She sighed, trying to rid herself of some of the guilt she was feeling. She had helped raise Spike, the finest young man to come from their home since Shining himself. The boy had often spent the holidays cooking with her for hours on end when he was still just knee high. Spike had been the only child raised in the Sparkle family home that shared her interests, and was always there when she needed help.

Now all Velvet could see was the dragon that towered over her, a mass of sharp spines, claws, and teeth. His gentle smile was still much the same, but her instincts flared in alert when the fangs came out. After everything the boy had done for her family she felt more like a monster than him, having no excuse for breaking the poor boy's heart.

"I know Spike is still the same person inside son, but I can't get past how he looks now. My mind just screams predator at me, and I just flinch. I feel just awful about it, he looked so hurt back there." Velvet cried. Her make up was already a blurry mess running down her face.

Shining hugged her tight, for that's all he could think to do. He couldn't blame her, not everypony could look past such things right away. He was confident things would be alright once the two really talked, which for everypony's sake was hopefully soon.

MEANWHILE

Twilight was currently searching through the rooms of the castle trying to find Spike. She was wondering how such a big dragon could just disappear. Though it was entirely possible Spike knew of any secret passages the castle might have other than the private study, which was the first place she checked. He had always had much sharper vision than most ponies, making him almost immediately privy to the secrets of any room.

Twilight tried using a spell to seek out his heat signature as she walked, but she wasn't watching where she was going and bumped into a pony. She lost her focus as her rump hit the floor, cancelling the spell. She picked herself up and helped the pony she had carelessly bumped into up, finding him to be in a stallion in a clean white outfit and puffy hat.

"I'm terribly sorry sir, I was trying to find Spike and I forgot to watch where I was going." Twilight apologized.

"Ah, think nothing of it princess. Though, I believe I can help you. Lord Spike excused the kitchen staff for the rest of the day, saying he was taking over to make dinner for The King's parents." The chef explained.

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief, but was still pretty worried. Something seemed to be bothering the stallion. He didn't want to meet Twilight's eyes, making her immediately suspicious.

"Is something wrong? You seem upset, Spike wasn't harsh with you or anything was he?" She asked.

The chef seemed almost appalled by her accusation, but said nothing of it to the princess.

"No, no. Lord Spike was as polite and courteous as always, it's just that he seemed utterly heartbroken. I fear something has happened." The chef's stunning crystal coat seemed to dull considerably as he thought about the state he had seen Spike in.

Twilight knew that crystal ponies were directly affected by their happiness, and that they all looked up to Spike. If word that he was depressed spread it could adversely effect the populace, and after the royal announcement today it would surely be disastrous. Twilight asked the chef to keep Spike's condition to himself, to which he agreed.

Twilight teleported herself outside the kitchens, not wanting to surprise Spike in case he instinctively tried to protect himself in his emotional state. She was about to push open the door when she heard something. She stopped to listen, hearing the mistakable sound of crying, and judging by the volume it was most certainly Spike.

She opened the door, rushing to come to her longtime friend's aid. However, as soon as Twilight saw the dragon she was less worried than before. Spike was chopping onions with a large knife, causing Twilight to tear up herself. Spike looked up from his work to see Twilight staring back at him.

"Uh, hi there Twi. *sniffle* What brings you here?" Spike asked as he went back to his onions.

Twilight looked around to see several pots of various things already boiling and she could smell bread baking in the oven. It seemed Spike really was cooking, but she could tell he was putting up a front. Spike was definitely crying for more reasons than the onions. Her time with the dragon made it easy enough for her to tell when he was trying to act tough, even though his now impressive physique made the act much more convincing.

"Spike, I know my mother hurt your feelings. You don't need to hide it, and you have to know she didn't really mean it." Twilight told Spike as gently as she could.

Spike sighed and lifted his cutting board full of onions, dumping them into one of the boiling pots on the stove. After tending to, or at least checking on each of his dishes he returned his attention to Twilight. Tears still traveling to his face, some of the moisture beading up, resting on his scales until another would run down.

"I know she didn't mean it Twi, but it still hurts. She taught me to walk, speak properly, read, write, do basic math, and even how to cook. I still have pictures of her spoon-feeding me crushed gems in a photo-album. I know I spent more time with you in the long run, but she means just as much to me. And now she can't look at me without flinching." Spike lamented.

Twilight believed Spike's words. She had been too busy starting her apprenticeship with Celestia to care for Spike the first couple years, leaving everything to Velvet. She eventually even started taking Spike into her English classes, letting him learn alongside the foals even though he wasn't officially a student. Twilight found herself feeling incredibly guilty for not realizing how important Velvet was to Spike.

"Spike, I'm sorry. I didn't realize she meant so much to you. Do you consider her your..." Twilight struggled, as the situation was growing steadily more awkward.

Spike shook his head no, alleviating some of the tension.

"She's not my mom. I don't really consider myself as having parents, even though I see you all as my surrogate family. She's more like what Celestia is to you I guess. A teacher or mentor, but one of your closest friends at the same time." Spike elaborated.

Twilight shivered as an icy chill ran down her spine at the mere thought of Princess Celestia being unable to look at her. She wasn't sure she could even handle something like that. It would effectively cause her to question herself entirely.

Just like Spike is now. Twilight thought sadly.

"Look Twi, we'll work out our issues when we're both ready. For now, I've got a lot of food to make. Tell Shining to wrap the tour up at about seven, I'm pretty sure they'll be in the observatory. Don't teleport, take the elevator. Sombra's magic is still semi-active where the endless staircase was, the last guy that tried didn't show up for a week." Spike said as he went back to cooking.

Twilight sighed, disappointed she couldn't be of more help. She saw herself out of the kitchen, beginning the trek to the elevator. Once there she had to wait for the elevator to make it's way back down, tapping her hoof on the floor impatiently. She hadn't realized how much time teleporting actually saved her in her day-to-day life.

After what seemed like an eternity Twilight exited the elevator, finding the rest of her family. Night Light was currently testing the accuracy of the planetary orbit model while Shining and Velvet were talking. It was apparent that Velvet had been crying fairly recently, much like Spike. Twilight took little comfort in that, even though it meant she felt just as bad as Spike. She joined them, sitting on the opposite side of Shining.

"Spike says dinner will be at about seven." Twilight interjected as casually as she could fake.

"Great! I haven't actually eaten any of Spike's cooking before. I'm kind of looking forward to it." Shining said truthfully.

Velvet turned to her son like he had just told her Celestia was actually a changeling sleeper agent.

"Are you serious? Spike has made your Granny's special sweet potato pie for Hearth's Warming every year after she passed when you were seventeen. You practically inhaled that stuff Shining." Velvet scoffed.

"That does explain where they kept coming from. In retrospect, that makes a lot more sense than my ghost-granny theory." Shining said as he rubbed his chin, remembering years past.

Twilight and Velvet both face-hooved simultaneously at that. Velvet actually eased up once the force of the sheer idiocy her son had created wore off. She found herself reminiscing, remembering how Spike had needed to stack stools and boxes to reach all the ingredients all those years ago. Spike was only nineteen now, and she was well aware of it, but he seemed so much older now. His looks had changed so drastically that it made it seem like a lifetime ago.

"I, uh... I'm going to go powder my nose, if you'll excuse me children." Velvet told her offspring as she got up from her seat.

Shining and Twilight watched as she got into the elevator, heading down. Twilight smiled warmly, knowing what was going on. Shining on the other hoof took to looking around the observatory, seemingly seeking something that was missing.

"We should really put a bathroom up here, or like beside the elevator. That elevator ride is really long." Shining thought aloud.

Twilight just stared at her brother with a flat look.

"Shining, could you remind me what year the great griffon war ended and why?" Twilight asked casually.

"1593 A.D. (After Discord), thirty six years before Luna's banishment. General Eagle Eye of the northern griffon territories underestimated Luna's dream-walking abilities, leading to his defeat. His troops hadn't slept for over a week by the time the battle of Talon's Pass occurred. The Third Thestral Battalion swiftly defeated the exhausted griffons without any casualties or serious injuries on either side. A griffon soldier was actually the first to refer to Luna as Nightmare Moon, which she is still called to this day by the majority of griffons. In their culture it's more of a term of respect than anything else, as the greatest enemy warriors are given titles." Shining recited effortlessly within seconds of Twilight's question.

"Now, what is seventeen times three?" Twilight continued.

Shining's calm demeanor soured instantly. He began sweating profusely, and looking every which direction for an answer. Shining even went as far to slap himself in the face with his hoof to steel his nerves. With his new-found focus he knitted his brow, thinking hard on the question.

"I wanna say forty-two." Shining eventually replied.

"It's fifty-one." Twilight deadpanned.

"Yes! Only eight off!" Shining yelled excitedly, pumping his hoof in the air.

Twilight's eye began twitching involuntarily at this point. On one hoof, her brother was possibly the greatest military mind ever. On the other hoof, she seriously worried that he wasn't very bright unless he was actually in combat. She hoped that her mother was actually going to talk to Spike, because if she really was just visiting the restroom she thought she might snap.

Author's Note:

Ironically, it's been forever since I updated this story, and the newest chapter is called 'Ahead of Schedule'.

I've erased and rewrote this chapter several times, this being what I settled on. Having someone you've always looked up to disapprove of you is always hard. This isn't quite the same deal, since Velvet is actually afraid of him instead, but it's as close as I wanted to get. Originally I had planned for them to disapprove of the relationship entirely, but I just couldn't have Twilight's parents be douchebags. It just didn't sit right with me.

Although I'm making sure Twilight is a little bitchy from time-to-time, building up to something I have planned.