• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 5,420 Views, 241 Comments

Apples, Bat Ponies, and Secrets - Random_User



Luna is invited to visit Sweet Apple Acres by Big McIntosh. As they tour the newly created bat sanctuary, the subject of a mysterious new animal visiting the orchard comes up. Luna decides she would like to see the creature for herself.

  • ...
16
 241
 5,420

Feelings Rising to the Surface

Chapter 7: Feeling Rising to the Surface

Luna glided over the orchard and landed in front of the Apples’ home. She paused as she made her way onto the front porch, smiled, put down the basket she had been carrying, and then rounded the side of the house. She flew directly to one of the second story windows, where the light from a lantern shown. Her horn lit briefly as she opened the window.

McIntosh turned his head just as she flew in the room. “Luna?!”

She landed lightly, barely making a sound. “Not so loud. We do not want to wake your kin.”

“Is everythin' alright?”

“Nothing is amiss. There were not many petitioners to my court this evening.” She nuzzled him. “I thought I would surprise you.”

He returned her nuzzle. “You certainly did. I was just thinkin' it would be nice to see you again in tomorrow night.”

“I am pleased that you anticipate my visits.” She looked at the book he had been writing in. “May I inquire as to what you are scribing?”

“Just writin’ in my journal, I try to write a page a night.”

“How long have you done so?”

“A bit over ten years now, I think.”

“That takes dedication. Where are the others you have penned?”

McIntosh looked towards a shelf on the far side of the room and nodded. “Over there. If you want to, you can read them.”

Luna walked over to the collection. “What inspired you to undertake such a task?” She reached up and slid one of the books towards her.

“My folks passin’, writin’ about it helped.”

Luna gently pushed the book back against the wall. “Then I shall leave these be.”

“Most of what’s in the journals isn’t about sad stuff. A couple of weeks after I started, I read back over what I had been writin’ and realized Ma and Pa would have had my ears if they had seen the way I had been mopin’. I promised them and myself I would stop bein’ so down and help Granny with the farm and my sisters as best I could.” McIntosh got up from his desk and walked over to stand beside Luna. “You said you wanted to see the world through my eyes. Readin’ these would help.”

She slowly shook her head. “I would still feel as if I were trespassing in your thoughts.”

“You can’t trespass if you’ve been invited in.” He kissed her on the cheek. “We’re goin’ to be spendin’ the rest of our lives together, so there shouldn’t be any secrets between us.”

She looked down the row of books. “Is there a particular volume you would suggest I begin with?”

“Most of the journals are just day to day stuff. I didn’t have much time for adventures when I was younger with school and work takin’ up most of my time. The real intrestin’ stuff I’ve written about starts after Twilight came here.”

“From what I have learned, her presence certainly seems to have added excitement to the town. Which of these chronicles her arrival?”

He reached up, took one of the volumes from the shelf, and put it in her hooves. “This one, it’s become a special one to me.”

She studied the plain, brown book. “Why is that?”

“It has the entry for the first time I saw you, durin’ the celebration of your return.”

Her expression became impossible to read. “While I am touched that you recall that day fondly, that was not my finest moment.”

He grinned at her. “You looked so small and cute standin’ next to your sister.”

“I appeared cute to you?” Luna’s feathers fluffed and her wings rose. Having to look up at Celestia so was a constant reminder of my foalishness in allowing the Nightmares to subvert me as they did.” Her voice shook as she added, “While I may longer be cute in appearance, it relieves me no end to have regained my former power and stature.”

He hugged her tightly, causing her regalia to bite into his chest. “I didn’t mean anythin’ by it. I was just sayin’ what I thought.”

Her wings sank back to her side. “It is I who should offer an apology to you. You spoke with candor, and I rewarded you with venomous words.” She gently pushed him back just far enough to remove her adornments with her magic and place them and the journal on his bed. She embraced him again. “Forgive me.”

“We all have our sore spots.” He gave her a soft kiss. “You might have been cute then, but you’re the most beautiful mare in the world to me now.”

She released him. “Flatterer.”

He looked down towards her right wing. “Don’t move. You’ve got a feather that isn’t actin’ quite right.” He dipped his head down towards her.

She held perfectly still as he carefully withdrew the offending plume. He took the feather from his mouth and inspected it. “I didn’t know alicorns lost feathers.”

“Of course we do. We are just ponies, after all.”

“No, you’re not.” He walked back to his desk and put the feather on its surface. “You’re more than us.”

“Tis not true. We have more power, certainly, but we need to eat, age, feel emotions, and live our lives just as everypony else.”

“I’m not one to argue with a princess.” He opened one of the drawers to his desk and withdrew a penknife. “Would you mind if I try something?”

She blushed. “You would make a quill of my feather?”

“If you don’t want me to, I won’t.”

“I have no objection.”

He trimmed the shaft with well-practiced motions. After he returned the penknife to its drawer, he dipped the quill into his inkwell and wrote a line in the journal. “It holds the ink perfectly.”

“I am glad you like it.”

“It’s kind of fittin’ I’m goin’ to be usin’ it to write about us.” He carefully placed the quill in a quill holder. “I only wish quills lasted longer. I don’t want to lose this one.”

“While the sentiment is kind, I am glad that it will only be of use for a short period.”

His ears folded back. “I asked if it would be alright.”

“You misunderstand my words. Are you familiar with pegasus courtship rituals?”

“Eenope.”

“When the courtship is in its final stages, pegasi couples will preen each other to show that they care for one another.”

“That sounds right personal.”

“It is. Would you be willing to help me preen?”

“Eeyup, but it might take me a bit to get the hang of it.”

“As much consideration as you gave me when you removed that feather, I do not foresee any problems. If you assist me in preening, you can have as many quills as you would like.” She wrapped him in her wings and forelegs and drew him close. “And I can have the touch of the stallion I desire.”

Just as her lips met his, the bedroom door opened.

“Big Mac, who are you talkin’ to?”

All three ponies froze.

Apple Bloom’s mouth fell open. “Were you kissing Luna?!”

“Eeyup.”

She asked Luna, “Has he kissed you before?”

“Indeed he has, he is quite skilled at it.” Luna glanced at McIntosh. “It makes one wonder just how many mares he has practiced with to become so deft at it.”

“What in tarnation is going on? You’re supposed to be getting ready for bed.” Applejack said, as she stuck her head around the doorframe. “What the hay?!”

“I planned on partaking in a delight with McIntosh this evening.”

“My sister doesn’t need to hear anthin’ about that!”

Luna laughed. “I brought a cake for us to share in.”

“You brought a cake?” Apple Bloom’s ears perked up. “Where is it?”

“I left it outside, in a basket, before I flew up. I wanted to surprise your brother.”

“Can I have some?” Apple Bloom said.

Luna looked to Applejack, who just smiled and crossed her forelegs over her chest with an amused look. Luna then turned to McIntosh. “What say you?”

“I don’t reckon it would be right to leave her out.” McIntosh smiled as Apple Bloom trotted in place in excitement. “Just a small one though. I don’t want you up all night. You need your rest if you’re goin’ to help us on the patrol.”

Luna looked at the filly. “You wish to aid us?”

“My friends and I want to try to get our cutie marks in monster catchin’. Fox promised we could if we got permission and all three of us did.”

Luna sighed good-naturedly. “He would be the one to make such a promise. Does the thought that creature might be of an aggressive nature not concern you?”

“We don’t think the creature is dangerous, Princess, or we wouldn’t let them go out there.” Applejack hugged Apple Bloom to her side. “My sister means a bit too much to me for me to let her go and get herself eaten. Besides, the night we have planned for them is the same as the one that you and McIntosh will be out there. If they aren’t safe with you two around, they never will be.”

“Fox and Horizon are going to be there too,” McIntosh added.

“Yeah, he’s going to teach us how to be extra quiet and sneaky,” Apple Bloom said, as she crouched into a stealthy pose.

“If you and your comrades listen, he could teach you much. Moving in silence is a skill all of my Lunar Guards pride themselves on.” Luna waved a hoof in the air. “But enough talk, there is cake to be consumed!”

*****

Luna levitated Apple Bloom's crumb covered plate and fork to the kitchen counter. “I believe your sister has enjoyed this evening enough.”

McIntosh looked down at Apple Bloom, who had leaned against his side and had fallen asleep.

“Apple Bloom, it's past time for you to go to bed,” said Applejack.

Apple Bloom stirred and muttered, “I'm still awake. I can't miss the Princess visitin'.”

“I will be visiting much more often soon, so do not fret. I will need you to be at your best during our patrol too, so get your rest.”

McIntosh helped Applejack get Apple Bloom on her back. “Thanks Big Mac. I’ll tuck her in her in.” As she went up the stairs, she called, “I’ll come back down to help clean up.”

Luna looked down at the table and then ran a hoof across its surface. “There are so many marks. How long has your family had this?”

“Since Ponyville was founded. It was one of the first pieces of furniture that was made for the house.”

“So it has been here for generations then.” She smiled down at the old, careworn surface. “This is the best kind of heirloom, both functional and sentimental. I wish my sister and I had such things. While our furnishings are lovely, they lack the charm that this piece has.”

“Are you feelin’ alright? You’ve been actin’ like you’ve got something on your mind.”

“I have been mulling over something the last couple of nights.”

He put his hoof over hers. “What is it?”

“I do not know why you have affections for me.”

“I love you because you’re you.”

“Do you love me because of who I am or because of I am your princess?”

“Both.”

“That is not a proper answer.”

“I’ll try to say this right, but you know I’m not all that good at talkin’ about my feelin’s. Forgive me if I don’t make a lick of sense.”

“I doubt that you will have an issue conveying your thoughts. Your letters to me have always been quite eloquent.”

“Writin’ is one thin’, talkin’ about somethin’ is different.”

“I shall decide that after I hear your words.”

“I started to have a bit of a crush on you after you helped us fight off the Nightmares that took over Rarity and attacked the town.”

“So you like amazon mares?” Luna teased.

McIntosh chuckled. “I’ll admit, you were amazin’ fightin’ off those nasty critters, but that wasn’t what really got my attention. Even after you got hurt, you were willin’ to get up again, rally us, and keep fightin’.”

“I was battered, tired, and incensed at myself that I was allowing a foe that had already defeated me once to triumph over me again, that was all.”

“Doesn’t matter, it was right impressive. One day not too long after that, I asked Twilight about what had happened to you and what you meant about not bein’ able to help the creatures of the moon when she came to buy apples from our stall. She gave me a history lesson on the Nightmares, the thousand year cycle their power has, and what they did to you.”

“Considering what I have learned of Twilight from my sister I am not surprised.’

McIntosh looked up the stairs. “I’ve always tried to do my best to take care of the farm, Granny, and my sisters. It hasn’t always been easy and there were times I didn’t feel like ponies cared about how much I was workin’ so long as I could get a job done for them. I thought ponies just saw me as the big, dumb workhorse because I don’t talk much and they figured that all I cared about was gettin’ stuff done on the farm or making a few extra bits trying to make ends meet.”

“I sincerely doubt that was the case.”

“I know that now, but it took me a while to get my head on straight.” He looked at Luna and held her gaze. “After Twilight told me about what you went through with the Nightmares and how they used those feelin’s you had about rasin’ the moon and nopony seeming to care, it made me think about you a lot.” He took her hoof between his. “What I went through is nothin’ like what you did, but I could understand why they were able to make you so miserable with those kinds of thoughts.”

“So you pitied me?”

Luna tried to pull her hoof away, but he held on. “I admired you. Despite all that you went through, bein’ taken from your loved ones, losin’ your powers when you were freed, havin’ to adjust to the changes in the world, you overcame it all and returned to bein’ a great princess to us.”

She relaxed, allowing her hoof to rest in his. “Had I not allowed myself to be tempted by the Nightmares, I would not have had to make such a recovery. Celestia is the more powerful, controlled, and refined ruler. She deserves your adoration more than I.”

“Bein’ strong and dignified is alright, but it’s not everythin’. You have to be a real pony too. During the Summer Wrap-up Festival, you were the princess that joined in, got pie all over you, and had fun. Celestia didn’t do much of anthin’ that day.”

“If I recall correctly, she bested you in hoof wrestling.”

“She did, but that was about all she did during the day. You were the one that got me involved in the contests and games, which was somethin’ I really needed.”

“I was glad to. You seemed quite vexed over something when you should have been celebrating with your fellow townsponies.”

“That’s the difference between you and your sister. Celestia cares for us all, but you care for us ponies as individuals. Celestia would never have takin’ time out of her day to help somepony like me, she’s just too proper.”

“I can see why you think so, but you do not know her as I do.” She grinned and leaned closer to him. “Or am I hearing that you do not care for my sister?”

“I like Celestia just fine.” He lifted her hoof and gave it a kiss. “I just like you a whole heap more.”

“You givin’ him that smooch on the Ferris wheel might have had made him favor you a bit too,” said Applejack.

McIntosh closed his eyes and dropped his chin to his chest. “Sis, how long have you been there?”

“Been here since about the time you started about Twilight talkin’ your ears off. What made you go and get all sappy on the Princess?”

“He was answering a question that I posed to him.” Luna leaned forward and kissed McIntosh on the top of the head. “He did so quite charmingly.”

“He’s not usually the mushy type. What did you ask him?”

“I wished to know the reasons why he feels as he does for me.”

“You’re marryin’ him and you didn’t even know why he likes you?!”

“Such a thing has never come up in conversation before.” Luna smiled at Applejack. “Do not act so aghast. I have never doubted that your brother cares deeply for me, even if I did not know as to why.”

“Then why ask him tonight?”

“Recently I spoke with a pony about the characteristics they found appealing in their own love, which made me wonder as to what McIntosh considered favorable in me.”

Apple Jack tilted her head slightly. “Just who have you been talking to?”

Luna raised her nose in mock dignity. “I shall not divulge that.”

“Alright Princess, keep it under your crown. I’ll have you know though, I don’t much care for it when ponies, princesses or not, go and tell half-truths.” Applejack walked up to her brother and pulled on his yoke until his ear was low enough for her to whisper into. She put a hoof over her mouth and spoke a few words to him.

As Applejack finished, McIntosh’s other ear flicked a couple of times and his face grew slightly concerned. “Just thought I would let you know.” She turned to Luna. “I’m heading to bed. You two should get some shuteye too, but only after you two talk a bit more.”

“Sis, are the blankets still up there in the chest?”

Applejack paused, just as she was about to leave the room. “I reckon so. I know I didn’t take them out.”

“Thanks, Sis.”

After the sound of Applejacks hooves going up the stairs and fading down the hall, there were a couple of moments of silence in the kitchen.

McIntosh got up from his seat, made his way around the table, and took Luna by the hoof. “Will you come with me?”

“Have I done something to put you ill at ease? Or was it what your sister whispered in your ear?”

“Please.”

“Of course I will.”

McIntosh lead her into the barn and then up to the hayloft. He opened the loft’s doors, retrieved a couple of blankets from a storage chest, and then laid them out on the floor over the hay. “I didn’t reckon the two of us would fit in my bed, so I thought we’d come out here to sleep. We can see the stars from here real nice too.”

“It also keeps ears from hearing what you are going to say.”

He pawed the floor, shifting some of the hay. “That too, I thought you might feel better about talkin’ if there weren’t anypony around to hear. You don’t have to, if you don’t want to. I was just tryin’ to make it easier if you did.”

“Thank you for giving me such consideration.”

He took off his harness and put it off to the side. “Please lie down.”

Luna elegantly tucked her legs under her as she settled onto the blankets.

McIntosh lay down beside her, put a foreleg over her shoulders, and drew her close. “Sis told me you were holding somethin’ back when you asked about why I liked you. I want to know what is really botherin’ you.”

“Did you agree to do all those games with me out of fear?”

He gave her a look of disbelief. “What in tarnation made you go and think somethin’ like that?”

“I have been scaring ponies with my mere presence these last few days. One of them was shaken badly enough that they almost caused themselves harm rather than remain near me.” Luna looked out over the orchard. “Even my own guards seem to be weary of me.”

McIntosh chuckled.

Her attention snapped back to him. “McIntosh, why do you laugh?”

“You can be scary when you get your dander up, I won’t lie.” Her expression became a combination of hurt and irritation, but he gave her quick kiss, which brought a small smile back to her face. “I think your guards just don’t want to disappoint you. They say too many nice thin’s about you to be afraid of you. You and I talked about how I didn’t feel good enough for you the other night; I think it somethin’ like that with them when they think they’ve disappointed you.”

“And you during the Festival?”

“I didn’t do all those games with you because I was scared, I promise. Heck I even snuck off during the scavenger hunt, so you know I wasn’t worried about you gettin’ too upset with me.”

She lightly bopped his nose with a hoof. “I had nearly forgotten about your disappearance during that particular event.”

“I’ll admit, I was so frustrated at not bein’ able to get what I needed to patch up the gazebo I almost went home.” His ears folded back and looked down at the blanket. “Had Zecora not talked me into stayin’ I might have missed out on the best thin’ that has ever happened to me.”

“Once again Zecora is mentioned. I shall have to seek her out very soon. She and I have much to discuss.” Luna adjusted her position, wrapped her forelegs around his neck, and put her head on top of his. “I will have to give her thanks for talking to you as well.”

“She’s a good friend of the family. I’d be happy to introduce you to her.”

She pulled him a little closer. “Thank you for allaying my fears.”

“If you ever need to talk about anythin’, us, your sister, Canterlot nobles being pains in the flank, anythin’ at all, I want you to know that I’m right here and I’ll do whatever I can to help.”

“I know.”

He nuzzled, starting just behind her ear, and slowly made his way towards her shoulder blades, adding random kisses as he made his way down. He broke contact for a moment, shifted his body back, and came to sit on his haunches.

“What are you, oh?!” Luna’s wings quickly unfurled from her sides as he tenderly rubbed and kissed between her wings. As his hooves found a tense spot and kneaded it, she drew in a slow, hissing breath.

His hooves paused. “Did I hurt you?”

“I assure you, you did not.” She smiled coyly over her shoulder at him. “I assume that you would like me to begin your instruction in the art of preening?”

“Eeyup.”

“I think I will be as eager to teach as you are to learn.” She folded her right wing to her side and fully extended her left. “Let us begin.”

*****

Horizon looked down from his vantage point in his chosen perch in one of the apple trees. “Fox, quit humming and hold still.”

Fox looked around for a moment and then looked up. “What the hay are you doing up there? I would have thought you would be in bed by now.”

“Keep it down; something is not right at the Apples’.”

“What makes you think that?”

“The loft’s doors are open.”

Horizon looked towards the barn. “You’re right; I know they were shut before we went on patrol.” He looked back up towards Horizon. “You think it might be the creature waiting to ambush us?”

“You’re in a mood.”

“And you’re being paranoid.” Fox headed towards the barn. “Somepony probably didn’t do the latch all the way. Get down here and walk with me.”

“We could fly. It would be faster.”

“Nah, I doubt anyone or anything that is stirring up trouble would announce themselves by leaving the doors open. We can take our time and enjoy what’s left of the night.”

Horizon landed beside Fox and matched his pace. “You are in a mood.”

“Sharing the evening with a lovely mare tends to do that to me. Speaking of which, how is Fluttershy doing?”

“She’s fine.”

“That wasn’t said with much conviction.”

“She’s worrying herself to death, if you want to know the truth.”

“Just shows you two are a good match, both of you worry too much about all the wrong things. She is going to do just fine.”

“She has to calm down or she won’t.”

“Says the pony who stayed up in a tree thinking there was some monster in the barn. You both need to chill out or you’re going to have nervous breakdowns before this is all over.”

They stopped a short distance away from the barn and listened for a moment.

“I thought I heard something move up there,” said Horizon.

“So did I. Guess you weren't paranoid for nothing after all.” Fox rolled his shoulders a couple of times. “You’re so wound up if you saw a mouse you would probably attack the poor thing. Fluttershy wouldn’t like that, so I’ll check it out.”

“If you flush something nasty, I’ll attack from below. Not too many creatures are armored on the underside.”

Fox crouched into a takeoff stance. “Alright, just be ready if things do go to Tartarus.”

“Fox.”

“Yeah?”

“Be careful.”

“Nice to know you really do care.” Fox silently launched into the night air. He approached the loft doors, stopped in midflight, and immediately dropped back to the ground. As he turned to Horizon, his face was crimson.

Horizon trotted up to him. “What is it?”

Fox made a motion for Horizon to keep his voice down. “The Princess and Big Mac,” he whispered. “He’s preening her wings. I’m just glad they were so occupied they didn’t notice me.”

“You’re pulling my tail.”

“I know a preening session when I see one. Big Mac is mouthing her right wing nice and slow, and Luna looks like she is having a hard time not taking him for a literal roll in the hay right now.”

“An image I did not need, thank you. I’m going to get a little shut eye before breakfast. Tomorrow’s going to be a long day.”

“That’s right, you’re working with Big Mac in the orchard again aren’t you?”

“You got it.”

Fox looked up towards the loft and grinned. “Maybe you won’t have to.”

“I don’t like that smile.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll thank me later.”

“For some reason I doubt that.”

“I’m hurt, why would you ever think that I would have something devious in mind? I just had an idea that might take a load off of you tomorrow.”

“Fox, I’m warning you. I know where you sleep.”

*****

Horizon smiled and held out a few coins. “Here is your change, ma’am.”

Golden Harvest waved a hoof. “You don’t have to ‘ma’am’ me. We’re practically the same age.” She took the coins from Horizon and tucked them in a small pouch. “So Applejack finally got you to lose the armor?”

Horizon kept his smile, but it diminished slightly. “I was ordered by Luna to not come into town wearing it today.”

“It took that to get you to leave it at the farm?”

“I am on duty. If it weren’t for Luna’s order I could be punished for being out of uniform.”

“You’re in Ponyville, you can relax.”

“From what I understand I shouldn’t relax at all. There have been dragon attacks, swarms of parasprites, megalomaniacal unicorns trying to take over the town, and half a dozen other disasters just within the last couple of years alone.”

“Twilight and the Elements take care of that kind of stuff, not the Guard.” She tucked her newly acquired apples into one of the pouches on her saddlebags. As she turned back to him, she made of show of brushing her long mane back into place. “Are you going to be off for lunch?”

“Sorry, I have to work through lunch today.”

“That sounds about like her,” Golden Harvest said, nodding towards Applejack. “You have to eat sometime, how about dinner then? We could go to the Grazing Meadow, and I could show you a couple of nice spots to have a little fun afterwards.”

Horizon shook his head. “I have duties to attend to tonight, but thanks for asking.”

Golden Harvest glanced over at Applejack, who was finishing up a sale of her own. “You’re not dating her are you?”

“No, but I am seeing somepony.”

Applejack flicked an ear in their direction. “I didn’t know that. I guess Fox is the only single stallion left on the farm.”

“Actually, I think he just started seeing somepony,” said Horizon.

Golden Harvest groaned and stomped a hoof. “Why is it that all the stallions on Sweet Apple Acres all have marefriends?!”

“Move along, Goldie, Horizon and I have to help other customers,” said Applejack.

“First I hear that McIntosh is off the table, now this hunk is too,” Golden Harvest said, jabbing a hoof in Horizon’s direction. “Do you get good looking, taken stallions to help you just to drive up your sales or do you just like to watch other mares squirm?”

“With you, to be honest, it’s a bit of both.”

“Be that way,” Golden Harvest said, with clearly faked indignation.

Applejack waited until Golden Harvest made it a few steps away from the stall and then called out for all the market to hear, “Next time Braebrun comes into town I’ll send him your way to make up for it!”

Golden Harvest stopped in the middle of the road. She looked back over her shoulder and smoothly replied, “Is he that cousin of yours with the vest, hat, and nice mane?”

“That would be him.”

She made a show of thinking for a moment and then shrugged. “I guess I could settle for an imported Apple.”

Horizon shook his head as he watched Golden Harvest continue down the road as if nothing had happened. “I thought Fox and I had an odd friendship.”

“Golden and I went through school together,” said Applejack. “We used to kid each other all the time about my family growin’ apples and hers growing carrots and which were better. Now we kid each other over just about anythin’.”

“Do you really use McIntosh to help your sales?”

“You haven’t noticed?”

“Noticed what?”

“I always have one of you stallions with me when I go to market to draw the mares in. Fox has fun with it, McIntosh tolerates it, and you’ve been clueless up till now.”

Horizon rubbed his forehead with a hoof. “I thought it was because Granny wasn’t able to get around that well and you didn’t bring Apple Bloom because she was too young, not because we were window-dressing.”

“A good marketin’ gimmick can sell just about anythin’. Filthy Rich taught me that one.” She looked down the road. “It’s a might early for her to be coming to market. I hope everthin’ is okay.”

Horizon saw Fluttershy coming down the road and grinned. “I’m sure it is.”

Fluttershy’s pace quickened as she came towards them. “Horizon, what are you doing here? I thought today was your day with McIntosh.”

“Good morin’ to you too,” Applejack teased.

“Oh, sorry, good morning, Applejack, I was just so surprised to see Horizon without his armor on during the day.”

“You can thank Fox for that one,” said Applejack. “Durin' breakfast he talked Luna into makin’ Horizon not put on his armor since he was going to be helpin’ me with the stall today.”

Horizon grunted. “I think she was in on the fact that Applejack was using us stallions as a marketing ploy.”

Fluttershy smiled. “I bet Fox was the one who told her.”

“What’s with the saddlebags, Shy?” Applejack said. “It’s a little early for you to be coming back for more apples.”

“Zecora has been helping me with something the last couple of days, and I wanted to get her some apples as a thank you.”

“Well, we can help you there. Any particular type you would like?”

“Braeburn apples, if you have any.” She reached into her saddlebags and pulled out two cloth sacks. “I’ll need enough to fill these, please, if you don’t mind.”

Horizon took the sacks from her. “Seems like Braeburn apples are popular this morning.” He filled up the sacks, taking extra time to make sure to choose the best of the lot. When Horizon gave her change back, his hoof lingered on hers for a second more than was necessary.

One of Applejack’s eyebrows rose as she watched them finish the transaction. “How are the critters doin’, Shy?”

“They’re doing fine,” Fluttershy said, turning her gaze away from Horizon. “I haven’t had a badly injured animal in a while.”

“It’s amazing that you can help as many animals as you do.” Horizon tied off the tops to the sacks. “I would never be able to keep straight what treatments and medicines work for one animal and not on another.”

Rarity’s voice cut across the market, “Applejack, I need to talk with you about tonight and the girls!” She walked up and stood by Fluttershy’s side. “While my sister certainly doesn’t lack for enthusiasm, I don’t think she realized exactly what she is getting into.”

“Rarity, it will be just fine,” assured Applejack. “With Horizon, Fox, McIntosh, and the Princess planning to be there it’s bound to be safer than their last sleepover.”

“I can’t believe all this fuss about some oversized fruit bat. Staying up all hours is ruining my complexion. Just look at these bags under my eyes!”

“Rares, you look just fine. Even if you didn’t, I’m sure you could doll yourself up with enough of that powder and paint of yours that no pony could tell the difference.”

Rarity recoiled and put a hoof to her chest. “You uncouth barbarian, how could you say such a thing?! It’s called makeup and, for your information, I just have to do a little touch up in the morning is all.” She stuck her nose in the air and looked at Applejack dismissively. “Not that you would know anything about that.”

“No sense in goin’ through all that trouble if all I’m just goin’ to sweat it off in a few minutes.”

“Girls, please don’t fight,” said Fluttershy.

“Here I am calling her a barbarian and I don’t even say hello to one of my dearest friends. How are you this morning, Fluttershy?”

“I’m just fine.”

“Wonderful.” Rarity started when she looked at Horizon. “You’re out of your armor! I didn’t even recognize you!”

“Trust me, I know. Luna and Fox thought it would be funny to send me into town like this. Luna wouldn’t even let me wear my uniform.”

There was a pause, as Rarity looked him over. “Applejack, dear, can I borrow him for a while? I think I can see a whole new line that would look just smashing on bat ponies.”

“I can’t rightly say he’s really mine to lend. He’s Luna’s guard, not mine.”

Rarity flashed a predatory grin. “That’s just fine. I’ll ask if I can have him for the evening when I drop off Sweetie Belle.” She turned to Horizon and put a hoof to his chest. “How about we have a little dinner and then I can take your measurements and see where inspiration leads?”

“Rarity, you’re making him blush redder than a Grand Gala.”

Fluttershy stood there with her mouth open.

Horizon shook his head. “I’m sorry, but tonight wouldn’t be a good night for me. I have to help Fox with the girls tonight.”

“What a pity. I’ll have to see if I can borrow you some other night then.”

“Leave the poor stallion alone, Rarity.” Applejack said. “He’s already uncomfortable enough bein’ in town like this as it is.”

“I can’t imagine why. He certainly has nothing to be ashamed of.” Rarity batted her eyes at him. “In fact, it’s a wonder that he has not caught some mare’s eye already.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Rarity why exactly are you here if you’re not buyin’ apples?”

“Oh, I nearly forgot. I have a little something planned for the girls that I want you to see.”

“What have you gone and done this time?”

“Well, I had some left over cloth from an order and I made a little something for them. I would like you to take Apple Bloom’s home and makes sure it fits her.”

“You made them uniforms didn’t you?”

“Well, yes, but they’re a more modern take on the theme, so to speak.”

“That don’t quite fit with all the fussing that you have been doin’ over Sweetie stayin’ in the orchard all night.”

“I thought she and the girls should look official if they were going to play the part of Lunar Guards.”

“And?” Applejack prodded.

“If Luna likes them, perhaps I convince her to update the Lunar Guard’s uniforms.”

Applejack groaned. “Why am I not surprised?”

“Even you have to admit they are out of style. They look like something that’s been out of fashion for a thous-”

Horizon cleared his throat.

Rarity smiled sheepishly. “I meant to say, for far too long. Just looking at them, I can tell they can’t be comfortable.”

“I have to admit, they do chafe, especially around the wings and tail,” Horizon said.

“See, Applejack, even he thinks the uniforms could use a little modernizing.”

“If you knew I was goin’ to be selling apples today, why didn’t you just bring the thing here?” Applejack complained.

“You wouldn’t get the full effect without them being on ponyquins.”

“Alright, Rares, I’ll look at them.” Applejack turned to Horizon. “Think you can handle thin’s here for a little bit?”

“I’ll be just fine.”

“Just hold the fort till I get back. Come on, Rarity; let’s see what kind of getup you’re plannin’ to put my sister in.”

“Are they always like that?”

“Not all the time,” Fluttershy said softly.

Horizon quickly turned to Fluttershy. “Are you okay?”

She nodded, her eyes never leaving her hooves. “I think she was serious about the line of clothes. I’ve seen her get that look before when she gets inspired.”

“Well, she is just to have to look for another stallion to model for her. I didn’t like the look that she was giving me. I think I know what a rabbit in front of a griffin feels like now.”

Fluttershy flinched.

“Sorry.”

“It wouldn’t be that bad.”

“In one way no, but I would spend the entire time thinking that I would rather be spending the time with another mare and helping her with a more important project.”

Fluttershy smiled and raised her head. “That’s sweet, but I think she really could use the help. If you end up helping her, I don’t mind.” She looked around cautiously and said, “Don’t worry about me; I can practice for alone for a little bit tonight.”

“I don’t feel right letting you face this alone.”

“Zecora’s going to help me today. Besides, wouldn’t it look strange if you left the farm with the girls coming over?”

After a moment, he slowly nodded. “It would. With the fillies around, I couldn’t count on getting out of there unseen either. From what I have heard of them there is no telling where they could be at any moment.”

“We could both use the rest too. Promise me you won’t try to sneak off and help me, please”

“Alright I promise. Just don’t do too much tonight.”

“I won’t.” She looked up at the town square’s clock. “I have to go. You take care.”

“You too, and travel safe in the forest.”

“I will. Harry insists that he walks with me whenever I go into the Everfree Forest alone.”

Horizon sighed as he watched her go. He muttered to himself, “One night that you can’t help her is not going to kill you.”

“Hello, can I get some help here?”

Horizon turned to the stallion. “Of course, Sir, what kind of apples would you like?”

After a couple of more sales, Horizon was rejoined by Applejack.

As Applejack carefully put her sister’s uniform in one of the stand’s storage compartments, she said, “You and I are goin’ to have a talk on the way back to the farm this afternoon.” As she slid the compartment closed, she added, “A nice, long, and very honest talk.”

Horizon swallowed and said, “Yes ma’am.”