• Published 23rd Oct 2011
  • 3,180 Views, 17 Comments

Picking Up the Pieces - Shrinky Frod



After dealing with Discord, there are complications that a certain party pony needs to clean up.

  • ...
8
 17
 3,180

Back Together

"Thank you soooo super much for taking care of Gummy on such short notice, Twilight!" Pinkie grinned, hugging her lavender friend tightly after she'd put Gummy down on the floor of the library. The toothless alligator looked around, his eyes blinking one at a time, and then he saw Spike walking down the stairs. A flash of green and a loud snapping sound later, the baby dragon was screaming and running around the library, Gummy holding tightly to his head and trying in vain to twist his tiny body into a roll.

"I'm blind!" Spike yelled down Gummy's throat. "Wait... aaaaah!" He ran into the kitchen door, which swung open and gave the two reptiles a new room to run around in. Twilight studiously ignored the display, and the sound of crashing pots and pans in the other room.

"No problem at all, Pinkie," she smiled back. "I'm just glad to see you're back to your old self! Well... at least getting there," she said, cocking her head as she looked at the remarkably tame curls in Pinkie's mane. "Are you trying a new look?"

"Well, it's... complicated," Pinkie said, reaching up with a hoof to primp it a little bit. "I know that when I get all bouncy and happy and hyper-Pinkie, it perks right back up again! But I just haven't gotten back to there from being so worried about the Cakes yet," she admitted. "At least I'm not being all Grumpy Pie anymore!" She shuddered.

"Seconded," Twilight agreed with a grin. "So, you've talked with them, and everything's forgiven?"

"Oh, Twilight, everything's better than ever," Pinkie sighed happily. "There were a few things I was upset about, but I didn't want to say anything so I wouldn't seem like a Grouchy McGroucherson," she explained. "But then when Discord made me into one, it all came out in the worst way it could! But it's all forgiven now, and we're gonna try to change things a little bit so the things I was worried about will be all better!" Pinkie bounced up and down on her rear legs, clapping her front hooves together excitedly. "And it's all starting with this vacation! Boy, I never thought I'd be so happy to get out of Sugarcube Corner, but after everything that's happened we all kinda need to get out," she giggled.

"He's gnawing on my ears!" Spike wailed from the kitchen, to the sound of a frying pan banging against something. "How can he do that, I don't even have ears!"

"And that's why I need you to watch Gummy while we're gone," Pinky concluded. "I'd love to take him with me, but... well, he wouldn't like going out to Burning Colt in the desert," she explained.

"I'm still not sure why you'd want to go out to a big survivalist gathering, but I hope you all have a good time," Twilight smiled. "Oh, and be sure to get plenty to drink, too!"

"Because it's one of the biggest, most funnest parties out there, and this time, I've checked! It's not gonna be some stuffy Gala thing. I've heard that most ponies even go naked!" Pinkie gasped in shock that Twilight wasn't entirely sure was faked.

"Pinkie... you're naked most of the time," Twilight pointed out. "You're naked right now, and so am I. So is almost every pony in Ponyville!"

"Which just means our whole lives are a big party!" Pinkie grinned. "I wonder if we could get the Mayor to let us burn a giant wooden pony every day to celebrate?" She pondered.

Normally, Twilight would have been a little exasperated with Pinkie's randomness, but... it felt right, the way entirely too few things had since the whole Discord situation had started. Maybe she wasn't back up to full 'bounce' yet, but there was time for that later.

"I'd... wait until after your vacation to ask her," the unicorn suggested. "You know, when you'll be fully rested. Are you sure the Cakes will enjoy the trip?" She asked, hoping to turn her friend's attention back to the nearest non-flammable shiny thing available.

"Oh yeah!" Pinkie nodded cheerfully. "Actually, they're the ones who suggested it! Apparently, they used be friends with the ponies who started it, and they're looking forward to seeing some of them again!"

"Pinkie, dearie, we're all packed and ready to go!" Cup Cake called out, stepping into the library. Twilight's jaw dropped as she stared at Cup, wearing a tie-dyed apron, dark glasses, and a headband in a variety of garish colors, all obviously very well-worn and well-loved.

"Okay, Mrs. Cake, I'll be right out!" Pinkie said, giggling at her expression. "You should see Mr. Cake," she whispered with a wink. "Would you believe that he actually kept his old mane and beard as a wig in case he ever got the chance to go back?"

"Somehow... I think I would, now," Twilight murmured, staring at the completely mind-boggling blend of hippie aesthetic and the sedate, cheerful baker she knew.

"All right, dearie, we'll be warming up the balloon while we wait," Cup grinned, turning to trot back out to where she and her husband were preparing for their trip.

"I've gotta get going," Pinkie grinned as she gave Twilight a final good-bye hug.

"Twilight, help!" Spike shouted from the kitchen, the sounds increasingly muffled.

"And I've got to go rescue Spike from the fearsome toothless baby alligator," Twilight chuckled indulgently, rolling her eyes. "Have a good time, Pinkie, and don't worry about Gummy. I'll be sure to feed him just like you told me," she said, holding up the note pad she'd written the directions down on.

"Okay!" Pinkie nodded, turning to dash on out.

Spike managed to blunder back into the main room of the library. As Twilight turned to look at him, with Gummy perched with jaws neatly snapped over Spike's head, the alligator's violet eyes blinked at her. She shook her head, and levitated a feather duster over, which Gummy promptly latched on to.

"No eating Spike, Gummy, you'll ruin your dinner," she chided him, setting him onto the desk.

"I'm never eating meat ever again," Spike shuddered, curling up into a ball on the floor.

"Take a letter, Spike," Twilight said casually, looking out the window at the balloon as it inflated with hot air.

"I just got gummed, Twilight! Gummed!"

"He doesn't have any teeth, Spike, he doesn't have any other options," she pointed out.

"That doesn't make it better," Spike muttered, though he did dutifully retrieve his quill and parchment.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today, my dear friend Pinkie Pie helped me learn that you shouldn't keep your issues bottled up inside you. You might be worried about what somepony else will think, but if you don't do something about your feelings then they might come out at just the wrong moment. But even if you do make that mistake, apologizing and addressing the issue head on can save your friendship, and sometimes even make it stronger.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle

"Send the letter, Spike," Twilight concluded, turning around to continue her work on pasting the pages back into The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide. Spike, watching Gummy warily, walked over to the window and opened it up. He breathed fire on the letter, sending it off to Canterlot, and then realized what was happening in the balloon. His eyes grew wide, and he turned towards Twilight.

"Twilight, Pinkie Pie and the Cakes are mak- mmph!" With another snapping sound, Gummy latched onto Spike's short muzzle, vacant purple eyes staring into Spike's own fear-filled pupils. A moment passed that felt like an eternity. Two young reptiles, each with their own older mammalian 'sisters.' Each willing to do whatever it took to make sure their caretakers were happy.

The alligator blinked his out-of-synch blink, and Spike nodded in understanding.

"What was that, Spike?" Twilight asked distractedly.

"Uhm... Pinkie Pie and the Cakes are... taking off!" Spike called out, pulling Gummy off his face. "Just wanted to let you know that everything was going great!" He put the alligator back on the desk, pointed to his eyes, and then to Gummy. Gummy just blinked, before turning to attack a passing dust bunny.

Meanwhile, high above Equestria, where nopony could see them unless they just happened to look out the window of a tree at the exact wrong moment, three earth ponies dedicated themselves to the task of renewing their bonds.

Comments ( 17 )

I like it a lot! But you already know that. ;) Interested in what comes later.

Hmm... whoever it was that dropped that .5 rating in there, don't suppose you'd mind telling me what you thought was so horrible about the story? Can't improve without a little feedback, after all.

#3 · Oct 18th, 2011 · · ·

This was weird. The idée that Pinkie and the Cakes would be in that kin of relationship is strange but humuroes at the same time.
However, I am glad that somepony finally decided to write Pinkies fear of making others sad in a good way.

14896
Strange, perhaps, but it just seemed to make sense to me, once I thought of it, more than probably any other pairing I've seen Pinkie put into.

Glad you liked the story though! I am a little curious about what you mean about "writing Pinkie's fear of making others sad in a good way," though.

Aw, I love it. And Pinkie's relationship with Cakes makes weird sense.

I was expecting a bit more story than this, but it's a nice enough little tale. Little being the operative word here, but it doesn't outstay its welcome.

What you've posted so far is well written and interesting.
I love crack pairings ever so much.
Though I guess this isn't technically a "pairing".
Looking forward to more.

19003
Well, I've decided that *this* story is probably done.

Doesn't mean that Pinkie and the Cakes won't be showing up another time or three in other things I'm working on though. ;) Who knows - maybe they'll come back with vacation stories, or any number of other fun little situations to be wound up in. :pinkiehappy:

my heart beats like an untamed sweet
while you are near, too sweet to bear
I hold you close, smell your lust
feel your breath, slow and deep
you are indeed my delectable treat


It just makes sense

that was beautiful man, thank you

Well! That -is- an interesting take. You did a good job making it believable- and a very good job characterising everypony.

Kudos on a fic well-written! :twilightsmile:

14896
I don't see the way she acted when she got back as being scared of making people sad, I see it as her being horrified and sincerely sorry because of what she said.

Comment posted by dzonewolf deleted Mar 13th, 2016
Comment posted by dzonewolf deleted Mar 13th, 2016

There's tags for the cake couple, if you wanted to add 'em. I really like the idea of these three in a cute, polycule. It's a good Pinkie ship.

9996866
Heh - yah, there are *now*.

Back in the day, not so much!

9997020
Ikr imagine not using all the crazy new tags

Login or register to comment