• Published 9th Dec 2014
  • 1,004 Views, 24 Comments

Thundering Fear - touileasaso



While Manehattan prepares to face a big thunderstorm, Blossomforth must deal with her past fear of lightning to help everyone prevail through the storm. But can she keep her fears in check long enough to protect Manehattan?

  • ...
1
 24
 1,004

Big Warning

"500 bits for a quill!? Are you freaking kidding me!?" Spike snapped in disbelief.

"Our quills are not sold separately from our sofas, valued customer." explained an employee. "But I assure you that both quill and sofa are of our best quality."

"But I don't want a sofa, I just want a quill!"

"In that case, perhaps you might be interested in our special offer; three quills for the price of one along with a sofa."

"You know what...forget it. I'll go somewhere else." Spike sighed in exasperation, leaving Davenport's Quills and Sofas.

Spike had travelled along with Twilight and her friends to the Manehattan Mall to have lunch together and to restock on some necessary supplies back at the library, such as more ink, ink bottles, bookmarks, ledgers, candles, scrolls and of course, quills. Of course, he had a hard time trying to buy one at Quills and Sofas because of their ridiculous deals, so he had no choice but to buy quills at another shop.

"I don't see what the big deal is...if I want a quill, just give me a quill!" Spike muttered under his breath.

Stopping in his tracks for a moment to look around, he was impressed by how the mall was built. Needless to say, it was big, bustling with activities left and right at every floor. There were many shops around the mall, such as formal clothing, casual clothing, sports center, toy shops, beauty products, furniture, groceries, bakeries, bookstores (Twilight's favorite ones), a floor especially made for restaurants, a musical store, and many more that Spike and Twilight saw around the five floors of the mall.

Walking around, he rejoined Twilight and the others, the lavender unicorn carrying a saddlebag which was holding most of what they had bought.

"Hey Spike. Did you manage to get any quills?" she asked him.

"Yeah...let's just say that if I had bought any quills at that store, they would also give me a sofa that's not for free. Great deal, huh?" Spike frowned.

"Oh...I see. I suppose we'll have to look somewhere else for quills then."

"Honestly, I'm surprised to see Quills and Sofas still up and running with that kind of deal they keep offering." Honey commented.

"Apparently, there are many ponies in need of quills and sofas all at once." Trixie quipped, taking a sip from her soda with a straw.

"I needed a quill and sofa at the same time one day!" Blossomforth exclaimed. "And I'm pretty satisfied with them!"

"That's not the point Blossom! I just need a quill, not a sofa!" Spike groaned.

"Did the owner really insist with this offer for such a long time?" Twilight wondered aloud.

"I assure you that Davenport is not a bad stallion." Sherbet assured everyone. "He cares deeply for his customers. It's just that...he tends to be stubborn when it concerns his business."

“It would seem no matter how progressive we get, there are always those few who are backwards in their ways." Octavia spoke. "We will just have to hope that Davenport grows out of this stubbornness."

"Truer words have never been said..." Spike gushed.

"Very well. I suppose I'll just have to look someplace else for quills then." Twilight said.

"All right, any ideas on where else we can get them?"

"I'm pretty sure that there should be some in that shop over there." the purple unicorn guessed.

"All right, let's give it a shot." Spike nodded.


"You're out of quills!?" Twilight exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, but we've recently ran out a few hours ago." apologized the clerk of the store. "We will be restocking on quills in three days."

"Quills this, quills that...all this talk of quills is giving me a headache..." Spike complained, rubbing his aching head.

"Well, thank you for your help...come on Spike, let's go." Twilight told her assistant, letting him ride on her back.

Spike sighed, very annoyed by all the search of quills for the library. He felt like they were mocking him, laughing at him from a distance. He very well would burn all of the quills in his frustration, if not for the fact that Twilight would scold him for doing so.

Letting his mind wander, he saw one of Blossomforth's pegasus weather cadets, Candy Floss, flying down to a halt in front of her weather teammate.

"Oh hi Candy!" Blossomforth beamed. "What's going on?"

"A big storm, that's what." Candy answered, surprising everyone.

"What do you mean a big storm?" Honey questioned her.

"Exactly what I said. Headquarters got an emergency message of a huge stray cumulonimbus cloud headed straight to Manehattan. And chances are that from its altitude of about six thousand meters, it'll start pouring down soon enough."

"Really? Are you sure?" Blossomforth asked, looking a little nervous.

"We double-checked its trajectory. There's no mistake that it's coming this way."

"How big exactly are we talking here?" Twilight asked the pink weather cadet.

"According to our reports, about seven-hundred fifty square kilometers." Candy told the group, shocking them all.

"My goodness! That covers almost all of Manehattan!" Sherbet gasped.

"Exactly. The weather teams are working their flanks off to prepare Manehattan for this storm." Candy spoke seriously. "We're gonna need all the help we can get to make it through one of the biggest storms this city has to go through."


My Little Pony, My Little Pony

Ahh, ahh, ahh, ahhh…

(My Little Pony)

I used to wonder what friendship could be

(My Little Pony)

Until you all shared its magic with me

Great discoveries!

Tricks galore!

A rich slice of life,

And a heartfelt score.

Budding courage

It's an easy feat

And magic makes it all complete!

You have my little ponies

Do you know you're all my very best friends?


Immediate action was taken upon hearing of the incoming rainstorm; a maintenance team was draining the lake from the park so it wouldn't flood, sand bags were placed on tactical points to divert the water away from the critical buildings, all of the roofs were checked in case of a serious leakage as well as the gutters so that they drain well, doors and windows were reinforced with magic barriers, objects like dead branches and scrap metal were cleared so that the wind wouldn't hit any buildings or houses, and whatever was necessary to minimize the damages the rainstorm would bring.

Pegasi teams were called to assist in the disaster, one of which were the Wonderbolts themselves. Half of the pegasus would fly toward the incoming cumulonimbus to decrease its waters while the other would stay in Manehattan to assist the city and acts a rescue team, in case somepony gets lost in the rain.

"Remember, when the bell tower strikes, stay indoors at all times!" Mayor Tux cried, assisting in the preparations. "Do not leave your home until the bell strikes again! I want everypony to remember that!"

Of course, Twilight and her friends were helping with the defenses. Twilight and Trixie made sure that all magic barriers were functioning properly, Blossomforth went off with her team to assist in the cumulonimbus monstrosity while Honey volunteered to be part of the rescue team, Sherbet and all of her staff provided shelter at their hotel to tourists and those who could not make it home in time while Octavia played a soothing tune to calm the nerves of the more panicked ponies. Everyone was hard at work.

"You know, there's still something I don't quite get." Spike said, putting down his sand bag.

"Like what, Spike?" Twilight wondered, checking the strength off all the barriers in place.

"I mean, the cumiloonybus-"

"Cumulonimbus." Twilight corrected.

"Right, whatever. That thing's a cloud, right? Why not just have every pegasi here buck that thing away to powder?" Spike pounded his fist into his palm to prove his point. "Wouldn't that just solve our storm problem?"

"Yeah, it's not exactly that easy, Spike." Honey answered, wearing a rescue coat.

"How? It's just a wisp of a white thing, right?"

"Trixie believes that a demonstration is in order." suggested the blue unicorn.

"Right. Umm..." Twilight looked at her surroundings. Her eyes laid upon a wooden bucket. "I believe we can set an example with this!"

"A bucket?" asked a confused Spike. "How?"

"For us pegasi, clouds aren't just where we walk and make stuff with our hooves and wings. We can also feel their weight." Honey explained.

"A cloud has weight???" the young dragon scratched his head in confusion. "I don't get it."

"For example, pretend that you are a pegasus and that this bucket is a piece of cloud." Twilight spoke, giving her dragon assistant the empty bucket. "So, how does it feel?"

"Meh, this is no problem for me." Spike smirked cockily.

"Right. But now imagine this piece of cloud filled with water..." Honey went on while Trixie filled the bucket with water from a hose. "...and the weight will be very different."

Spike gave an 'oomph' as Trixie levitated the full bucket to him. "Wow, yeah. I can totally see the difference."

"Exactly." Twilight nodded. "Now imagine all of those heavy little pieces of cloud formed together into a big one. That's what we're up against."

"Oh..." Spike widened his eyes, seeing how serious this was now. "But the pegasi facing that giant cloud can take care of things, right? I mean, we have the Wonderbolts helping us! It should be a snap!"

"Sorry Spike, but they're not meant to stop the cumulonimbus from coming here. They wouldn't make it in time." Honey spoke grimly. "They're pushing out whatever water they can from that storm cloud before it reaches Manehattan."

Spike took all this information in, realizing now how serious the situation was. With this new knowledge in mind, he decided to work twice as hard to protect Manehattan. Running by to get another sandbag, he bumped into the side of a black pegasus with a cyan mohawk.

"Hey, careful there runt. You really shouldn't be running in a time like this. You might get yourself hurt." he answered.

"Hey, I'm not a runt! I can look after myself just fine!" Spike snapped in annoyance.

"Easy there. Don't get your tail in a knot." the pegasus replied, putting his forehooves in front of him in defense.

"Say, who are you? I don't think I've seen you around Manehattan." Twilight commented, noticing a new face.

"That's because I'm not from here. Name's Thunderlane, a Wonderbolt-in-training from Ponyville." he introduced himself. "I've come here along with the Wonderbolts to help with the crisis."

"Let's hope he's not like a certain pegasus from before..." Trixie muttered to herself.

"Oh trust me, I'm nothing like that psycho mare." Thunderlane scoffed. "She's currently in a rehabilitation center to improve her attitude, and you can guess how that's going. She'll be lucky if she gets to wear a Wonderbolt trainee uniform again."

"I'm not one for karma, but she definitely got what she deserved." Honey smirked.

"You're telling me. I only met her once during one of our drills, and she nearly made me break a leg from the exercises."

"Thunderlane! Form up at once!" Spitfire called out to him.

"On my way, ma'm!" he answered back. "Gotta go. See ya guys soon."

Thunderlane then flew away to regroup with the Wonderbolts from Spitfire's group, the captain issuing orders clearly to them.

"Excuse me, girls?" Sherbet walked to them looking concerned. "Have you seem Blossomforth around by any chance? My staff and her weather teammates can't seem to find her."

"Blossomforth missing? At a time like this?" Twilight asked in worry.

"Oh man, where are we supposed to look for her?" Spike gulped.

"Hang tight, everypony. I have a pretty good idea where she could be." Honey assured, flying off to look for their friend."

"Odd...it's not like Blossomforth to just disappear out of the blue like that." Trixie frowned.

"You're right. It isn't like her...I wonder what's wrong?" Twilight sighed in concern.

Author's Note:

So once again, I deeply apologize for making you wait so long. I have no excuse, and I hope you can forgive me. I'll try to not take so long with the next chapters.