• Published 15th Mar 2012
  • 22,668 Views, 683 Comments

Wild, Sweet & Cool - Kwakerjak



Rainbow Dash wants to add strength training to her regimen by having Twilight Sparkle ride her.

  • ...
30
 683
 22,668

Wide Open (Epilogue)

Dear Princess Celestia,

For a long time, I assumed that I would remember the day that you took me on as your student as the pinnacle of my entire life. Of course, since I began my studies in friendship, I’ve very quickly realized that that day was, in reality, merely the start of a journey, rather than the culmination of one, and my tandem flying with Rainbow Dash is just the latest example in support of that idea.

I would have written to you about this earlier, but the media blitz has been overwhelming. With the way we’ve been treated, you would think we’d actually won! Then again, I suppose for a pair of amateurs with no tandem racing experience to place at the Las Pegasus Stratochase is pretty impressive, no matter how you slice it, even before you take the Sonic Rainboom into account. We’ve already been offered several endorsement deals, and the Stratochase’s organizers have already invited us back for next year, but after some soul searching, Rainbow Dash and I have turned most of these offers down. As exciting and potentially lucrative as a career in tandem racing could be, Dash ultimately wants to be a Wonderbolt, and I want to be an accomplished magician, and training for those goals won’t leave us with much time to focus on this sport.

This is particularly true since Team Fast-Time (a.k.a. the actual winners) have already announced that they’ll be using PommelHorse equipment next year. Since they’re professionals, they can devote months to learning how best to take advantages of the saddle’s qualities, and they would no doubt beat us by a much wider margin in a rematch. In addition, now that the saddle’s been accepted by such a prominent team, more teams are probably going to defect from the “old guard” in the weeks and months ahead. What I find most encouraging is that the PommelHorse saddle appears to completely neutralize the advantages associated with having a winged rider, which means that the sport might see more unicorns and earth ponies competing in the future.

Speaking of PommelHorse, they’re the one company that Rainbow Dash and I have chosen to endorse officially, since it was their saddle that made this little adventure possible in the first place. We’ve decided to license the “Rain-Spark” name to them for their new line of racing saddles, for what the press release described as “an undisclosed sum.” (Let’s just say that it might be a while before I have to take advantage of my stipend again.)

But of course, the reason we started doing this in the first place was to get Rainbow Dash closer to her dream of joining the Wonderbolts, and on that matter, I’d have to say we were successful. Spitfire got in touch with her, and apparently, they’re convinced she’ll do well in the teamwork department, as she now has an unofficial open invitation to try out for the squad—it would be an official one, but politicians are nothing if not stubborn. Spitfire is recommending that Rainbow Dash wait at least a year before requesting her official invitation, both to help make things go over smoothly with the “wait-in-line numbskulls” (her term, not mine) and so Dash can refine her routine until it’s flawless.

As for me—

“Hey, Twilight!”

The unicorn sighed as she opened the window in the library’s main room to see her flying partner hovering expectantly. “Is something the matter, Rainbow Dash?”

“Uh, yeah, it’s practice time.”

“Go on ahead. I’ll catch up to you when I’m finished writing my letter to Princess Celestia.”

As the pegasus flew off, Spike looked up from the scroll. “You know, Twilight, we can finish this later.”

“I’m almost done, Spike. All I need to do is add the friendship report.”

As for me, I have seen how the friendships I’ve cultivated here in Ponyville have created opportunities for me to do things that I never would have thought possible back when I spent all my time poring over obscure texts and esoteric spells. By simply being open to the new possibilities it presents, friendship can lead you down paths you never knew existed, and life will be all the better for it.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

In addition to all my fan fiction, I've also got an original short story available for puchase. It's called "The Empty Hand," it features cosmic horror in the Boston underworld, and it's currently available in eBook form on Amazon:

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.co.uk

For anyone who would rather support me for my pony-related content, I also have a Patreon.

Comments ( 165 )

Great ending to a great series. :pinkiehappy:

Helluva good story--solid four stars.

And so, the story ends. Still, there is one more thing you might want to take a look at: I recently commissioned some artwork of a scene that I had deleted from chapter 6/7, and posted it on my blog. However, since not all of you read authors' blogs on this site, I've reworked chapter 7 so that there's enough context to justify a link to the image in the story itself. I urge you to check it out (and if you have a comment on the image, add it in chapter seven to keep things from getting too confusing).

Hmm.

Normally it wouldn't bother me at all that they came in second. However, since it was because they were either accidentally or purposely hindered... It still does. Makes the ending, to me at least, slightly less satisfying then it would have been otherwise. Especially since we hear nothing about it.

Anyway, that's the only thing that slightly bothers me. Other then that, this was a great story and I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

It's a pleasure to FINALLY give this story the thumbs up it deserves.

Very nice, this was one wild ride of a story and it's been great all the way through. You are one impressive writer my friend. :twilightsmile:

686690
That was actually inspired by Vanderlei de Lima, the Brazilian Olympian who quite possibly could have won the gold medal in the marathon in 2004 if it wasn't for a nutcase spectator who decided to attack him three-quarters of the way into the race (de Lima ended up with the bronze).

That sad moment when a great story ends.

Was there some kind of joke in that last part? If there was, I think it went straight over my head.

686726

Ah, that does change things a bit I suppose :)

686735
RD doing the Sonic Rainboom at the wedding? It was Luna's idea.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.......:twilightblush:

I loved this story! It was exciting, it was funny, a bit technical at times but even then greatly explained...I could not be happier. Go Rain-Spark! Love the name, BTW.

It was a great character study for Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle--my two favorite of the Mane Six--and I like how it didn't need to become a romance and stood on its own as a good friendship story, which it did beautifully.

PS

Could you just explain the bit with Luna and the 15 degrees remark at the end please?

686768
Please refer to the previous comments.

This fic was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I still have problems with the concepts and ideas of a pony riding another one. As I see absolutely no point in it other than strength training. I had to disregard that simply for the enjoyment of the fic. That is really my only complaint abut the fic. I may have missed the authors explication on that too. Good job on your fic Kwakerjak, I'm gonna go check out "Pediculture" and look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

*Clapping* Bravo on such a great fanfic.
Definitely one of the best friendship fanfics out there, and I applaud on you making it such an experience all the way through. Even though Team Rain-Spark didn't win, I am happy with the ending. You should be very proud on your accomplishment; thank you for giving me such a good story to enjoy. :twilightsmile:

686802
There probably aren't many practical uses other than strength training, with the possible exception of carrying injured or tired ponies in places where a cart is impractical, like mountains, or the Everfree forest. As for racing, I assume that grew out of strength training; ponies start arguing about which team is the best, and they hold races to decide. After a while, some ponies start making wagers on the outcome, and a sport is created.

I liked it. I think it works fine that they got second place.

686843
It's like that race where you compete in an obstacle course while carrying your wife on your back. Is there a point? Not really. Is it entertaining and bizarre? Oh yeah.

And so this epic comes to a conclusion. I had a feeling Dash and Twi probably wouldn't win, since that'd be a little over-the-top.

I loved every chapter of this piece. I'm sorry to see it end, but I know you'll come around with something just as amazing. I look forward eagerly to your next work.

Very fun story, I'm glad I followed it :twilightsmile:

It was very nice story, from start to finish, and I loved how even though it was focused on two of the mane 6, you basically avoided serious shipping all together (and I must say, I loved the whole "misunderstanding" part :derpytongue2: ), also, being a spanish speaker, I had few knowledge ofthe english vocabulary in regards of aeronautics, so this story ended up teaching all about it till the end :yay:

I will be watching you from now on, to see what other awesome story you have in store for us :ajsmug:

Wonderful. Amazing.

.....Just wish they'd gotten first. :applejackunsure:

This story was beautiful, thank you. :pinkiehappy:

This was a fantastic read start to finish. A highly enjoyable and entertaining fic all in all. Perhaps the only negative was the technical side to it. The characters and their growth were so much more fascinating to me then the admittedly superbly written technical flying scenes that I wish their was more character moments and less technical intricacies. Still that problem aside really a fantastic piece of work. Major props to you and look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

You know, between their talents and their teamwork, they could pull off some amazing air shows. Magic spectacles and aerial routines combined into a show so glorious that it would make even Trixie's ego would be in awe.

Brilliant ending! I was hoping that question from Luna would have to do with a sequel as opposed to the wedding, but then you dashed my hopes in the comments...

And then Team Rain-Spark was disqualified for creating a huge explosion that knocked several of the other teams out of the air.

It's funny how well this story ended up tying into the season finale. Really does seem like Dash has been doing some kind of training, and it made me think of this story right away when she did that boom on an upward angle. Although I'm not quite sure if it makes complete sense to reference it directly like that. If the princesses were already planning things for the wedding, seems like someone would have said something to Twilight. And since the main reason Twilight's brother didn't tell her personally that he was getting married was because Canterlot was on high alert, it seems very unlikely that Luna would leave just to watch a race in a town you said was farther away than Appleloosa. Just not sure it fits the timeline.

Eh, maybe I'm over-thinking it. I suppose there could have been a decent amount of time between Shining Armor getting engaged and Canterlot finding out they needed to boost security. And then I suppose Luna wouldn't have felt like it was her place to tell Twilight about the wedding, so maybe it makes enough sense that she'd be evasive about her motives for wanting to know about the rainboom.

Well anyway, it's always sad to see the more entertaining stories end, but I guess there's not much else to tell. It's odd, though, three of the most interesting stories I'm following somehow managed to all end at close the same time. Guess that means it's time to catch up on some of those other ones.

Fantastic ending to an excellent story. This has definitely earned a spot alongside Petriculture on my user page wall of great stories.

................. BEST POSSIBLE ENDING loved the fact that they pulled off a Sonic Rainboom in the words of pinkie pie....
2.bp.blogspot.com/-6QdiP5LYdeE/Tt73-BBZkYI/AAAAAAAAB58/M73rLzHlG6k/s1600/PP.png

686802

The fact that no one seems to find it the slightest bit odd that Spike rides around on Twilight's back all the time (despite the fact that he can walk just fine) makes me think it's a perfectly normal thing to them, just not super common. Sure he's not a pony, but still, it seems like a friendship thing to me, rather than something that needs to have a practical purpose.

Actually, I even made a polo picture once with Rarity riding on Applejack's back, so I found the idea entertaining well before this story began.

687353
Actually, enough readers have found the postscript awkward and/or confusing for me to seriously reevaluate its presence. After rereading it, I decided that it was ultimately unnecessary, so I've excised the postscript, and moved it to a blog post for posterity.

Ah, a satisfying conclusion to a wonderful story.

That was awesome. I knew the sonic rainboom was coming, but it was still awesome.

686843 that last part is exactly how NASCAR started. Now, look where thats gone.

Very well done, good chap.

Beautiful.

Hard to put into words how much I liked this fan fiction.

Thanks for being such a good writer.

I am working on my own Fan fiction and find stories like this to be great inspiration.

Thanks
blade1976

This was an excellent story Kwakerjak. Thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to write and share this wonderful tale with other people.

This was a wonderful story indeed! Loved it very much!

Excellent. All I can say. :moustache:

And one of the best, most interesting friendshipping fics in the fandom comes to an end with a boom and a letter, just as it should be.

One of the best and complex story I've ever read.

687562 Silly pony, that post script was funny! :twilightsmile:

The only thing that was confusing to me, is why the hay comments were talking about Luna and the wedding and 15° angles when nothing at all in the chapter referenced it. Like, I seriously started looking through old chapters to find this "mysterious line I missed". I finally gave up, and continued with comments, clear that my brain had failed me... dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/shrug_Luna_apple.png

Only to see you removed a cute little punch line to end the whole story with an episode reference! dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Luna_lolface.png dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/sillyfilly_Twilight_Sparkle.png

Well... It's 5:30 AM, and I REGRET NOTHING!!! Epic, awesome story! :rainbowdetermined2::twilightsheepish:

THEY DIDN'T WIN?!?! :fluttercry:
Nah, in honesty, I didn't expect them to win. Besides, it would have been far too 'Hollywood' if they had, especially with a sonic rainboom.
Ultimately, a fantastic ending to a fantastic story. I'm glad this didn't turn out to be a shipfest either :pinkiehappy:

Great ending! Loved that they didn´t became first, it´s like back then when Twi walked up to RD/AJ who became last in that run of leaves and they asked her shocked if she had won, but then she was *just fifth place*. :twilightsmile:
I dunno though how Twi could manage to be on RD´s back/RD got get enough speed for a Sonic Rainboom whereas in the past they had needed that attraction spell to manage to pull off a succesful one, but then i won´t complain about it. It was too awesome. :rainbowdetermined2:

So now for the Sequel.... what ya mean *there won´t be a sequel*???
It´s the first fic in this fandom which gives/creates a great and understandable way of why Twi rides Dash (not in a perverted way meant) instead of the whole romance scenarios (which are all cute btw, just saying) and why Dash let her do ride her and everything, and you won´t write a sequel with this amazing premise???

687291

Come on, isnt that a good idea for a sequel?
Adding some magic stuff to some cool flying stunts and makes it all 20% more awesome? :applecry: :fluttercry: :pinkiesad2:
Why does it have to end now and with no coming/promised sequel to quench our thirst for great fan-fics like yours? :fluttershbad:

689200

Twi underwent physical training of her own just so she could ride RD and reach such high speeds without the need for the attraction spell.

So Rainbow wasn't the only one working out!

this fic was :rainbowkiss: So Awesome :rainbowkiss: really hope you keep writing great stories like this. If not, you'll make Fluttershy cry :fluttercry:

but really amazing story, very well done, and just AMAZING how well the finale ended up tying into it, I give it five happy twi's out of five

:twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

Great story, Loved reading it... what's next? :twilightsmile:

Kwakerjak, that was awesome. This feels like an actual show episode (though if it were an episode, it'd be missing the 'special someponies' misunderstanding, which is comedy gold).

Don't even have to mention favouriting and rating high etcetera.

You, sir, rock.:twilightsmile::rainbowdetermined2:

This was the story that made me join FIMFiction and start writing my own fics. Sad to see it end but it was an awesome ride.

Thanks Kwakerjak! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment