• Published 29th Dec 2013
  • 3,476 Views, 58 Comments

Queen of the Night - Drizzle Quill



The vampire fruit bats, in an attempt at becoming a civilized colony, call on Fluttershy to become their queen.

  • ...
5
 58
 3,476

Knock, Knock - Who's There?

Fluttershy took a deep breath. "Alright, Angel. You know what you have to do."

The little white rabbit twitched one ear, clearly not impressed, but didn't move an inch from his designated spot.

After having a final good-bye conversation with Applejack, the earth pony had insisted that she take a few apples with her back to the cottage for the critters. Fluttershy had tried to deny, she really had, but how rude would that be? No, she had to be nice and take the apples, drooling the whole way home and looking like a fool. It was only after she had hurried into the cottage did she realize that the apples could be used to her advantage. Angel had cautiously accepted her immediately-formulated plan, and here they were.

The scenario was this: there was an apple on the table about three feet away from Fluttershy. Angel was going to fake a hurt paw and collapse about three feet away from the pegasus - in the opposite direction - while the other critters prepared to dig into the apple if Fluttershy didn't move fast enough. The choice would be Fluttershy's, and she knew she couldn't turn down an injured animal - it was impossible, against her nature. Though it was a strange method, it had a chance of working, and a sometimes a chance was good enough.

The pegasus mare took another breath, inhaling through her nose and exhaling through her mouth. In, out. In, out. "Ready."

With a final roll of his beady black eyes, Angel Bunny collapsed to the ground, wailing and clutching his paw in mock pain. His little pink nose twitched; his small white lip quivered as his eyes seemingly melted. The act was killing him, simply killing him. He couldn't do this much longer. Where was Fluttershy, with her comfort and kisses and -

Sllluuuuurrrrrppppp

Angel dared to lift his head and look.

There was Fluttershy, clutching onto the no-longer juicy apple like it was her lifeline, sucking all of the juice out of it with fresh fangs, a content expression in her scarlet eyes; wings now long and leathery, they furled and unfurled with pleasure.

One of the squirrels which had been assigned to eat the apple let out a wail of disappointment and reached for the piece of tantalizing fruit, but recoiled when Fluttershy turned and glared at him, revealing her fangs in their entirety and hissing, drawing back her gums to do so. The squirrel's lip trembled; it turned and scampered under the couch as a pleased Fluttershy continued her drinking.

Angel frowned. This wasn't right. This wasn't his Fluttershy. And it was the right time he decided to do something about it. Pulling himself up onto the table with tiny white paws, he opened his mouth to speak some sense into her when there was a commotion at the front door - lots of screeching and the beatings of leathery wings.

Fluttershy's head jerked up, eyes still bright scarlet. She hissed in the direction of the door.

Angel shook his head, gesturing he would go get it, and the pony he had been proud to call his owner once more vanished into her own batty realm. The little bunny hopped off the table and scampered on all fours towards the door, performing an incredible leap and hooking his paws onto the doorknob. With a final twist he landed on the ground, allowing a smug smile to creep across his face as the door slowly inched open...

...revealing three flapping, sharp-toothed, angry-looking bats.

Blinking, Angel stared at them; they stared back at him with an equally confused expression; it took a few seconds for either one to move. One of the bats, a smaller grey one in the front, opened his mouth, and, in a bat's hissing, wheezing sort of manner, spoke.

'Where is the one they call Fluttershy?'

The bunny shook his head, a firmly planted "no." The creeps could not go and see the pegasus, especially not in her current state.

The bat glanced back over his shoulder at his friends. One of them hissed, extending his wings and making an attempt to look menacing. It probably would have worked, too, if Angel hadn't already been so unnerved by a certain bat - or bat-pony - in particular that afternoon. He shook his head "no." They still could not come in, and they most certainly could not see Fluttershy.

It was unfortunate, really, that he was still holding the door open. The grey bat screeched loudly at his companions and zoomed in through the open crack; the others followed suit, and Angel Bunny could have sworn they were smiling at him. Slamming the door in pure irritation, he stormed over to where the other critters were cowering in fear as the bats drew closer.

Fluttershy had moved on to her fourth apple; her fangs sunk deep into its flesh and her expression was one of contentment, though it changed instantly when she saw the bats approaching. Tilting her head to one side, she unfurled her wings and came to meet her houseguests in midair.

Angel, from his place with the others, knew something was about to happen. The problem was that he didn't know if it would be good or bad.

He supposed, grim as the thought may be, he was about to find out.

The bats and Flutterbat surveyed each other from the air, Fluttershy squinting as if it was difficult to see, the bats' eyes wide as they took in all parts of the former pegasus - leathery, long wings, small, blindingly white fangs, and apple-red eyes. For a few moments, neither of them did anything, until one of the bats burst into the closest imitation of a smile it could. The other ones looked skeptical, but copied the motion.

One of the bats, the grey one that appeared to be the leader and had 'smiled' first, literally hissed in delight. 'I told you both! I told you she was more bat than pony! Look at her now!'

Angel bared his teeth and growled, the rumble echoing deep in his throat. This was Fluttershy. He had known her for most of his life. She had only started her weird phases recently! How dare these intruders insult her! The growl grew louder, and the other animals around him stirred in unease. Some looked like they wanted to go hide; others looked just as angry as Angel.

Fluttershy tilted her head. The language of the bats came easy to her. 'What - what do you mean?'

The smallest bat laughed. '"What do you mean," she says. I told you! She's stupid and your idea is heading nowhere. You better just give it up while it's still fresh in your head.'

That was it. That. Was. It. Angel Bunny was not going to let those jerky bats decide they could make fun of his Fluttershy any longer. Call her stupid, break into her home...something bad was going on and he didn't like it one bit! Clenching his paws into tiny white fists, the rabbit stormed forward, ready to begin his rant...

...but Flutterbat beat him to it.

'How dare you, you insulting scum! How dare you make fun of me like that!' she screeched, baring her teeth and narrowing her eyes, moving closer towards the bat that had made the comment.

Said bat jerked backwards in surprise, blinking several times in abrupt confusion before baring its teeth and moving closer to accept the silent challenge. Bat and batpony circled each other, eyeing their opponent; Fluttershy's face was one of silent contentment. The obvious size difference presented her with an automatic win, all tied up with a beautiful bow.

The bat did not look fazed.

Angel knew there were several things he could do right now. He could go and hide. He could support Fluttershy in her fight. He could try and get the other two bats out of the house.

Or he could help the other animals that were trembling around them.

Despite his awful behavior, Angel knew that deep down he was quite caring. It was cheesy and typical, but he really didn't care all that much. Especially not now, as the others either looked as if they would faint or go out there to fight the bats themselves. A shame Harry the bear wasn't visiting that day.

Turning to them, he lifted his forelegs above his head, waving so that all the animals would catch his eye. They did, rather nervously, and with a few loud squeaks and some well placed paw directions, the critters of Fluttershy's cottage slowly filed up the stairs, restraining themselves from bursting into an all-out sprint. One of the tiniest mice began to cry.

What's wrong with Fluttershy? Why is she fighting a bat? Why do the bats want to talk to her? Why is she hissing at us?

Angel had no answers to any of these questions, so he just patted the mouse on the back, sent her up the stairs, and headed back for the next group. In a situation such as this, one had to take the initiative. There were times to be irritating and times to be smart.

And now was a time to be smart.


The grey bat shrieked to see his companion and the batpony about to tear out each other's throats. Flapping his wings angrily, he burst into the middle of them, breaking apart their fight. Fluttershy recoiled, looking shocked, but the other bat continued to advance, teeth bared.

'What're you doing?' the grey bat screamed.

'She challenged me, and a challenge is a challenge.'

'But that's not why we came!'

'Then...why are you here?'

The last voice was quieter, female. Fluttershy had spoken. 'I'm assuming you didn't come here just to attack my home and me, so...why?' With the last word she gave a little start; shaking her head, her eyes began to revert to teal and her wingbeats became quicker as her wingspan decreased on the spot. The grey bat winced. They were losing her, and as a pony, who knew if she would ever agree to their idea?

His eyes scanned the room quickly, and landed on a bucket of a certain scarlet fruit. His smile, his horrible, toothy smile, widened.

'How about we sit down and tell you,' the grey bat suggested, 'over a bucket of apples? Doesn't that sound lovely?'

Fluttershy's mouth began to drip longing saliva. The bat could see her gleaming white fangs already reappearing.

Everything was going according to plan.