• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 3,437 Views, 154 Comments

Daring Do and the search for the Winter Pearl - DemonWriterX



A new enemy have left Daring Do towards a new adventure and towards a dreaded old enemy.

  • ...
4
 154
 3,437

Contentment

CH 3 CONTENTMENT

Daring Do woke up to the sounds of macaws and song birds. She sat up on her branch and rubbed her sore back. She yawned and groaned from a slight pain in her side. She lifted up her vest and saw a very large purple bruise. She suspected it came from Ahuizotl from nearly crushing her to death and from Blanco, when he struck her. She would have to apply medication to it as soon as she can. She licked her hoof and brushed her mane back, glancing at the forest canopy. The view made her forget about the pain for a moment. She put her pith helmet back onto her crown and looked down at the campsite. She saw a few of Ahuizotl’s tribe preparing breakfast. She watched a handful of ponies going into the rainforest to pick the nearby fruit, herbs and mushrooms. A dozen ponies took the ingredients to chop and separate into portions. The herbs and mushrooms were used to prepare soup. Her nose perked when she smelled fresh bread. There was a fire pit made out of mud and stone that the ponies used as an oven, coming out of it was loaves of bread. At the sight of so much food, she felt her stomach growl. She would have to scrounge up something to eat. She flapped her wings, ready to fly off to the nearest banana tree but her ears perked when she heard something below her. She looked down and saw a young orange pony below her branch, trying to reach her. He was sweating profusely and struggling to keep himself up in the tree. Her eyes widened, he had no safety harness and was climbing up with his bare hooves, all the while carrying a sack in his mouth.

“Hey!” She grabbed him by the scruff and lifted him up on her branch. The pony dropped the saw in front of her, panting from exhaustion. “All right!” Daring began with a snarl. “Talk! What exactly were you doing? And you better tell me right now or else somepony is going to have a long, long fall!” She gave him a hard poke, making him dangerously teeter over the edge.

“N-No!” gasped the orange earth pony, forcing himself back against the solid tree trunk. “I-I was just bringing you your breakfast!” He hugged the tree in fear. “Please don’t push me out of the tree!” He cried. Daring Do arched a brow at him and the sack. She opened it slowly. She was surprised to find freshly picked oranges and not poisonous snakes ready to bite at her face. She blinked and glanced up at the pony, who was shaking in fear.

“What did you bring this?” She asked softly.

“M-Master Ahuizotl said you are a g-guest. As his guest, you get to have breakfast first, h-he wants you to have breakfast along with him.”

“Hmm…that’s convenient; I was getting hungry.” She smiled and licked her lips. She tore into one of the oranges, savoring its sweet taste. “Thanks.” She said, her cheeks full of orange slices.

“Y-yes…” He cringed when he accidently glanced down from the tree. “H-He said you did not enjoy the stew from last night and ordered me to get you something fresher.”

“He did?” She questioned, slurping up the last remaining juices in her hoof. The stallion suddenly turned a shade of green. The height was finally getting to him. Daring could not believe Ahuizotl was capable of being kind yet…she remembered how the children acted around him and the filly from last night, who appeared glad to serve him. She swallowed the last bit of orange and wiped her mouth with her hoof.

“That was…nice of him to do.” Her muzzle scrunched at the orange peels. “These aren’t filled with poison, are they? Cuz if they are, so help me, I’m taking you with me to the afterlife!” She said, grabbing him once more and shoving his head towards the edge.

“N-no! They’re not poisonous! I-I promise they are not!” He cried out. She gave him one last look of disdain before retracting her hoof.

“Okay. I believe you.” She said; taking another orange. The pony sighed in relief. Daring smacked her lips, licking the juice. “These are pretty good. I’ve never tasted oranges this sweet before.”

“I-I am g-glad you l-like them, Miss.” The pony said, his body still wrapped around the tree trunk.

“Say, where is that so called “master” of yours?”

“H-he is in his tent, preparing to go to the marketplace, he said you should meet him inside.”

“Alright, I’m done anyway. Thanks for the oranges, kid.” She flew out of the branch and landed on the ground with a soft thud. The pony’s eyes widened when he reached out to her in desperation.

“No! Wait! Miss!...Miss!...I can’t get down! Come back!”


Daring Do entered the tent to find Ahuizotl, talking to an older Ahuizoten warrior. The old warrior had white ware paint that covered his orange fade coat. His neck and ankles were decorated with bands of gold and he carried a long staff in his right hoof. Daring noted the old stallion had a scar down his left eye, the eye was milk, indicating that he was blind. It seemed the two of them were having an intense conversation. She jumped back and hid behind the thick fabric of the tent.

“Should you really go with that mare, my lord? Isn’t she your sworn enemy?” The old pony said with a stern and gruff voice.

“It cannot be helped, Izel.” Ahuizotl replied with a tired tone. “Unfortunately, we must work together to find the pearl.”

“Please, my lord, she might betray you. Why don’t you take one of the warriors here with you? Teicuih has been coveting you for many months now.”

Daring Do almost gagged to think any pony found Ahuizotl “attractive”.

“I have no time for her nonsense.” Ahuizotl stated in a stern tone. He picked up his magical amulet with his tail, giving it a look. “No, Miss Do is a more than capable warrior. As much as I loathe to admit aloud, she is intelligent and quick.”

Daring Do smirked at his words. Izel rolled his eyes and shook his head. “She is an annoyance, Lord Ahuizotl.”

Ahuizotl hummed. “Yes. As an immortal mosquito.”

Daring smirk dropped into a frown. Ahuizotl sighed when his white cat rubbed against his arm. He gave it a pat on its head. “As always. It will be your job to protect the tribe and my little princess.”

Daring Do’s ears perked in interest. She saw Ahuizotl picked up his cat with his ears low. Daring stuck her tongue out in disgust from the sudden gesture.

“You be a good girl to Izel, Princesa.” Ahuizotl cooed. His cat let out a soft mew in response. Izel chuckled softly taking the kitten into his hooves.

“You do not need to worry about her, My lord, or your other cats. I will take great care of them until you return.”

“Of course.” Ahuizotl said, regaining his composure. “You may take your leave.” Izel bowed at him and exited the tent. He glanced at Daring, who whistled innocently until he walked away, shaking his head. Daring Do smirked and strolled inside.

“So that mangy thing is a girl huh?” She said out loud. Ahuizotl shot a glare at her.

“She is very special and very fierce!” He said proudly, shaking a fist towards the ceiling. Daring looked at her hoof in boredom.

“Yeah, she’s a real battleaxe. Are we going or what?”

“Patience.” He growled. “First, we must have the invitations for the party, without them we will have no way inside.”

“You’re joking. We actually need the invites? Can’t we just sneak inside?”

“No. It is in a museum. It will clearly have security.”

Daring Do cursed under her breath. She was forced to agree. It made her even more annoyed by the inconvidence and working alongside Ahuizotl.

“How are we suppose to get the invites?”She asked. He walked passed her, ignoring her question and heading outside. Daring Do scowled, sucking in her cheek. She followed him out. Once outside, he was supplied with a small saddle bag and quickly surrounded by a hoofful of children.

“Where are you going, Lord Ahuizotl?” asked one small filly, nudging at his arm.

“Yeah where are you going?” asked another foal. Another actually climbed successfully on Ahuizotl’s back.

“Why are you leaving again?” He asked. Ahuizotl grabbed the kid off of his back and put him down.

“I will be back soon.” He explained. The children let out a collective ‘aww” and nudged at him again.

“When will you play with us?”

Daring was surprised at how the children acted around him. It was as if Ahuizotl acted as their uncle or father figure. Ahuizotl smiled at them and pointed behind him, towards his tent.

“I will play with you all once I return, I give you my word. For now, why don’t you play with the cats? They’ll be lonely without me.”

“Really?” One filly said, wagging her tail in excitement. He gave her a nod and nudged the children along and out of his way. “Now go on, all of you…” The children cheered and ran towards the tent. Daring arched a brow at Ahuizotl.

“They won’t get hurt by them, will they?” She asked.

“The cats will be fine.”

“I meant the kids.”

He scoffed. “My cats will not harm the children. Now come and follow me.”

They left the tribe without a word of goodbye. Ahuizotl put on the amulet, transforming himself into his pony form. She took a closer look at his pony form. He had a cutie mark that resembled an Aztec temple. She noticed his tail was short and his shoulders were broad. He was not the most muscular pony but he was fitter than some. He strapped on the saddle bag and continued leading the way. Daring Do walked behind Ahuizotl as he continued to give her the silent treatment. But she had ways of getting him to talk. She began to pester him with the same question over and over again. ‘Where are we going?’ She might have sounded obnoxious but she enjoyed watching him squirm. He continued to ignore her so she decided to ask him other questions. He finally gave in.

“We are going to a market place deep in this rainforest. We will purchase the tickets there.”

“How do you know about the tickets?”

“When I heard about Blanco, I also heard about a couple trying to sell their tickets away. They found a buyer and now, we must buy them for ourselves.”

“What if they are not there?”

“I sent a scout last night. He told me the tickets are still there but he did not know for how long.”

Daring Do let out a hum. She gazed at their surroundings as they trudged over tree limbs and bushes.

“So, the kids seems to like you…” She began, Ahuizotl ignored her. “I don’t really like kids. I don’t know what to do with them. How’d you make them like you anyway? Did you give them gold or candy?” She laughed at her own joke.

Ahuizotl felt his forehead throb from hearing Daring Do’s voice and manic questions. He never realized how much of a talkative pony she can be. They usually have a small conversation, he would monologue, she would respond with a quip and then he leaves her in a trap. After a while, Daring finally stopped talking. Ahuizotl raised a brow at the sudden silence and let out a sigh of relief.

“How long till we get there?” Daring asked. He flinched at the sound of her voice; dreading the journey ahead.

“A few more hours.” He said with his teeth clenched.

“A few more!” She exclaimed, right into his ear. He flinched away and Daring chuckled silently before catching her breath. “This is taking way too long. We could fly wherever it is we are going. If only you had wings, flying is so much better than walk-!”

Ahuizotl suddenly whirled around in a rage.

“Would. You. Be. Quiet!” He snarled, baring his teeth with his nostrils flaring. “All you have done is talk and talk and talk!Porque hablas tanto, mendiga!

“Hey! Yell at me in something I understand! I can’t talk back if I have no idea what you’re saying! You stupid ape-monkey- dog… pony… thing!”

He stopped and almost expected the earth to shake from his anger. “I have just about enough of you!”

“Me too! You sensitive filly!” She retorted, slamming her hoof down in protest, sizing him up. He puffed his chest out, trying to out size her in his own pony form.

“Stubborn mule!” He yelled.

“Cat-lover!”

“Half-breed!”

“Your one to talk, you freak!” She spat. Her spit hit his muzzle. He snarled, wiping it away.

“Ill-mannered, ugly mule!”

“Egotistical sociopath!”

He slapped her pith helmet off of her head, making it land in the mud. Next thing they knew they were wrestling and rolling around in the same mud. Daring Do slammed his face into the wet soil, making him sputter out the brown sludge. He bucked her off of him, making her land on her back. He leapt on top of her and shoved mud into her mane and face with his hooves. She yelled out and shoved him to the side; rolling on top him. They both fought, with teeth bared and hooves filled with rotten leaves and wet dirt to make the other as dirty, or injured, as possible. After a solid twenty minutes, they both finally separated, due to exhaustion, both covered head to tail in thick, heavy mud.
Daring wiped the mud from her eyes and grabbed her pith helmet; wiping the mud from it before placing it back on her head. She glared at Ahuizotl who was still wiping the mud from his eyes.

“Way to lose your temper, Ahuidolt-l!” She said, lifting herself out of the mud pit.

“You are the one who had started this! This is your fault!” He argued, rising to his hooves, “We cannot go to the market looking like this!”

“I say it's an improvement: now no one has to see your face.” She grumbled. She tried to shake her mane loose and groaned finding that it was already beginning to hardened in the blazing heat, “Oh great, that’s just great! The mud is starting to get hard.”

“Oh, what a disappointment,” He mocked, holding a pout.

“Oh shut up, I’m going to find a waterfall.” She said and slapped her tail across Ahuizotl’s muzzle; covering his face in mud again. He let out a low growl, wiping the mud off of his face, and followed Daring Do.



It wasn’t long ‘till they reached a large waterfall. The water was a beautiful crystal clear blue; with small fish swimming along the bottom. The waterfall cascaded down a rock ledge with a roar. Daring separated herself from Ahuizotl, who was splashing his face with the refreshingly clean water. She found a nice and semi-private place behind the waterfall and it was far enough away from Ahuizotl. She took of her vest, placing it on the ledge making the water wash away the mud. She took off her helmet, put it to the side, and began to wash herself underneath the water. She scrubbed furiously, trying to get rid of the dirt, worms, and rotten leaves stuck to her coat.

Ahuizotl glanced at Daring Do, who was now trying to get the mud off of her mane. He silently casted a curse on her to try and have the mud permanently stuck in her mane. He took off his saddle bag and dived into the water, the mud washed away from his body as he swam. He breached, his mane and body now clean. He stared up at Daring Do who had her back to him, completely oblivious to his existence. He noticed that her mane had gotten longer since the last time he had seen her, now reaching her shoulders. He noticed a curious sight, with her vest gone, he saw jagged pinkish lines on her upper back. Scars, obviously caused from her dangerous profession. He could tell that they were caused by constant battle. The question remained if he was the one that caused some of them or all or all of them. He frowned when he noticed a large grey bruise on her side. He watched as the clumps of mud continue to fall off, revealing her shimmering gold coat. Her grey-scaled mane gleamed in the light of the sun as she delicately ran her hooves through it.

Daring turned around, her hooves over her chest and saw Ahuizotl staring at her with a stupid, blank expression. Her nose recoiled in disgust. “A little privacy, please?!”



Ahuizotl blinked, snapping out of his daze. He rolled his eyes, scowled and turned away from her and dived down into the water again. Daring Do shook her head in disbelief before continuing to wash her sore side. She turned back towards Ahuizotl and saw him swimming gracefully through the water, doing cartwheels and corkscrews. She wondered if he swam often. He popped his head out of the water and dived backwards; reaching to the bottom and seemingly grabbing some plants.


Daring Do pulled her vest out from underneath the waterfall and moved to the bank. She wrung any excess water out her vest before putting it back on. It was damp but she didn’t mind. Anything to feel relief in the humidity of the rainforest. She grabbed her helmet and put it back on her mane, her trusty whip and pack strapped to her side.

“Come on, Ahuizotl!” She called out, walking down the side of bank. She watched him swim towards the edge of the water, climbing up on the dry edge and slipping on his saddle bag.


She noticed how dry his coat was; as if the water had never touched him. She guessed it had something to do with whatever creature he was; water not sticking to his fur, like an aquatic mammal. In his hooves, he had what appeared to be moss.

“What’s that for?” She muttered as she wringed out her mane. He put the moss up to her face, making her almost gag from the smell.

“It is for your injury.”

Daring pushed his hoof and his moss away from her sensitive nose. “I’m not hurt.”

“I saw the bruise.” She blinked and instictivly touched her side. He tilted his head at it, confirming his suspicion.

“Yeah. It’s not a big deal.” She said, giving him a shrug. “I’m used to it.”

“It is swollen.”

“Yeah, but after a couple of weeks-“

“This moss would help with the pain and inflammation.” Ahuizotl pressed, lifting the moss back up to her again. “I use it for myself from time to time.”

“Is it…safe?”

He rolled his eyes and placed the moss on her hoof. She cringed. “Use it if you like, or throw it away. I do not care.”

She bit the inside of her cheek. Even though the moss smelled horrible, the sore pain in her side was worse. She lifted her vest up and rubbed the moss against it. It stuck to her like a bandage and provided instant relief. She smirked and made a mental note to use it again in the future.

“Thanks.” She muttered.

“Let us go, it is almost noon and we only have a few more hours.” Ahuizotl said, looking up at the sky.

“How are we going to get tickets to the party and to Maris in the black market?” She asked. “I mean, it can’t have everything right? And I don’t have a lot of bits on me.”

“You will be surprised, Miss Do… The pony we are about to meet has the tickets and everything we need.” He said with a smirk of confidence.

“And who is that exactly?

“You know him by the name of… Cabelleron.”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading this far.
Please comment below.