• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 5,063 Views, 363 Comments

Pokémon: X-traordinary - Speven Dillberg



Six Pokémon and their trainer in Equestria (Spoilers for Pokémon X/Y)

  • ...
12
 363
 5,063

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Xavier glared at Amp and Razor. The Ampharos was heavily bruised, and the Staraptor’s plumage was singed all over. “If this happens again, you’re in the Pokéballs for a week. Understood?” The pair nodded sullenly. “Good.”

And I was sure Luca would be first to really screw things up, Daphne said calmly. Luca just rolled his eyes.

I hope they don’t get too upset at us for that, Gabrielle added.

“Just why did you think kicking up a whirlwind in an enclosed space like that was a good idea?” Xavier asked loudly as Staraptor bowed his head in shame. “It’s a miracle no-one else got hurt!”

Amp chuckled. “And what are you laughing at? A charge beam?” Amp wilted. “What if you missed? What if it hit one of the ponies?”

I think they get it, Xavier, Gabrielle said calmly, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Xavier continued to glower at the pair for a long moment before he shook his head. “Like I said, don’t do it again,” he told them strictly. “We can’t take any risks here, this isn’t Kanto or Unova.”


“Well that was certainly…” Luna paused as she searched for the right word. “Unexpected.”

“I do hope that everything is alright,” Celestia stated with a small frown.

“They do appear to listen to him, so I feel confident that he can reign them in.” She watched passively as the man stopped yelling at the offenders. “Still, we should inform the staff to be ready for extra work.”

“Yes, I imagine that if they fight again it would be like having an untrained unicorn running around.”

Twilight Sparkle blinked as Celestia smiled. “If this is about that time your throne got set on fire, that wasn’t me! Spike sneezed,” she claimed.

“I’m not upset about that, it was years ago,” Celestia replied with a chuckle. “Besides, it gave me a legitimate reason to get a new one.”

“Only you could find the bright side to having your belongings set ablaze,” Luna muttered.

“Well, I’ve always believed in rising from the ashes,” Celestia told her, a small grin on her lips.

We are so very sorry, they heard in their heads. We didn’t expect them to do that and…

It is fine, Celestia informed the Delphox. The damage is not too severe, after all. And it wouldn’t the first time something of the like has happened.

Daphne relaxed. That is a relief. Still, we are very sorry for this.

And as I said, it is fine, Celestia insisted with a small mental shrug. Don’t trouble yourself with it. I simply ask that you keep any further ‘outbursts’ to a minimum and that you avoid injuring any of my little ponies.

I wish I could say that we will, but with these idiots… Daphne turned to glare at Luca, Amp and Razor. I can make no such promises.

Males will be males, a fact that transcends species, as I’ve found throughout my many years, Celestia replied lightly. As I said, just avoid injuring anypony.

“Ah, Auntie Celestia, I was wondering where you…” Everyone in the room turned to see a white-coated unicorn stallion with a blonde mane and tail standing there. He’d trailed off in mid-sentence, his jaw going slack, his gaze lingering on Xavier and his team. “I-I was wondering where you were,” he repeated as he picked up his jaw.

“Ah, Blueblood.” Celestia turned to look at her nephew. “I’m afraid now isn’t the best time.”

“And I’m sorry. But this is about the… the…” The stallion glanced nervously at the seven visitors.

The alabaster alicorn’s eyes went wide with understanding. “Oh. That. Of course.” She turned to the visitors. I am sorry, but this is a very important matter I must attend to. Tomorrow, however, I will clear time to assist you.

Gabrielle watched calmly as she and Blueblood disappeared with a flash. Teleportation?

Indeed, Luna said with a calm nod. Any unicorn with the right amount of magic and skill can do it.

It’s… well, not common, but common enough in our home, the Gardevoir explained. I just didn’t expect to find it here as well.

I see.

If you’d like, I could show you where you’ll be staying for the night, Twilight offered.

Gabrielle turned to Xavier and nodded after a few moments. We would like that. Also, are we able to have food sent to us?

Twilight tilted her head. Usually guests dine with us.

Yes, but Xavier is unsure if Amp and Razor will behave themselves, and he wants to keep an eye on them. She turned to see the Staraptor was still glowering at the Ampharos. And I don’t blame him.

Well, if you’re sure that’s best, then I can arrange to have castle staff send some food. Twilight looked to Luna and asked her if that would be acceptable. Okay then. The kitchens will send somepony along. Gabrielle smiled at the use of ‘somepony’. Are there any dietary requirements that we need to meet?

Gabrielle blinked, taking a moment to understand what she meant. Oh. No, Amp and myself are vegetarian. Luca, Razor, Daphne, Blaster and Xavier will require some meat. Is that going to be a problem? she asked, noticing the mare’s eyes go wide.

No, I just… I just should have realised that they would need meat, she said, chuckling a little. The cooks have some fish, will that do?

They’ve been living on preserved meat with the texture of plastic the past two weeks. They won’t care.

Oh, Daphne said suddenly, catching the pair off guard. Can you bring me some kindling? she asked.

Kindling? Luna asked, having listened to their conversation. I’m sorry, but we can’t have you setting fire to anything.

I don’t need kindling to set fire to anything, she replied, rolling her eyes. No, it’s a quirk of my biology, something that evolution didn’t alter that it should have.

“’Evolution’?” the midnight alicorn asked Twilight.

“It’s the term they use to define the changes their bodies go through when they hit certain points of physical maturity,” she explained. So why do you need kindling?

To eat. Luna and Twilight stared for a moment. More accurately, to fuel my internal fire.

I still say that it’s a placebo effect, Gabrielle thought quietly.

I feel it helps, the Delphox shrugged, and it’s only sticks. Not like I eat diamonds or pearls.

Well, if that’s the case then I’m sure we can provide you with kindling, Luna declared. ’Tis a simple request, really.

Would it be okay if I came with you? Twilight asked. I don’t mean to impose, but I’m interested in observing how you all act around one another. Call it... research, maybe?

Daphne and Gabrielle turned to Xavier, who shrugged. We have no problems with it, the Gardevoir stated.

Great! And I still have so many questions to ask! Well, just a few, she amended, noticing the looks on their faces.


“So now that the important matters have been discussed…” Princess Celestia smiled warmly at her nephew from behind her desk. “Is there anything else?”

“Apart from my requests to have the Canterlot gossip mill muzzled?” the stallion asked with a smile.

“But then who would we be forced to listen to all day in Court?” Celestia asked him with an amused smile of her own. “Surly, barking is better than silence my dear nephew.”

“When that barking is insistent on painting me as the spawn of Tirek… I know, I know, Freedom of Speech,” he muttered, waving a hoof, “but it wouldn’t hurt to limit what they can say, surely?”

“I still say that you should do more to improve your reputation,” Celestia insisted. “Take it from a several thousand year old politician nephew, the more charity events you attend, the more cake you are rewarded with.”

“A little hard when the mares I run into see me as nothing but a stepladder into the nobility,” he growled. “I don’t care if she was a national hero, that mare deserved it. And it’s a little hard to be seen as likeable when you have me running around with… them,” he spat.

Celestia sighed and walked over to her nephew, draping a wing over him. “I know, and I’m sorry. But I need somepony I can trust, and I know that your feelings will never be swayed.”

“I... I know,” Blueblood replied with a shake of his head. “I know that it’s the right thing to do, Auntie but... damn me if it isn’t unpleasant. They behave like animals.”

“I know, dear. But soon we’ll remove them.”

The stallion sighed. “That day cannot come soon enough.”

The pair stayed like that for a while, finding comfort in each other’s embrace. Celestia rarely found time to spend with family outside of formal events, and Blueblood was too proud to seek her out under normal circumstances, or to show affection in public. “Actually…” The unicorn looked up. “Could you tell me what book has the instructions to learn telepathy?”

“Oh?” Celestia asked, smiling down at him.

“W-well, it wouldn’t hurt, surely?” he asked her. “After all, as a member of the Royal Family I do have a duty to treat our ambassadors fairly, no? And speaking their ‘language’ as it were would help with that.”

“And you’re sure you don’t have an ulterior motive?” she asked with a cheeky smile.

“My dear Auntie; I have no idea what you’re insinuating,” Blueblood stated while turning his face away from her. “I simply wish to fulfil my royal duty.”

Celestia’s smile turned sly and she poked him in the side with a wing. “Very well nephew, say what you like. Of course, in the future I would advise against staring; most females don’t take it very well,” she told him with a gentle chuckle.

“I meant nothing by it!” he shouted defensively. “They just look so… so… different,” he said sweetly.

“Of course,” Celestia said, her smile still sly. “Still, one with observant eyes could not help but notice just where it was your gaze lingered.”

“Please stop talking about this, Auntie,” the prince pleaded.

“I’m sorry, Bluey, I don’t mean to tease too much,” the princess said apologetically. “I just rarely get the chance to be myself.”

“I… I know. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be so defensive. It’s just...” he trailed off, shaking his head. “Anyways; I’d like that book.”

“Of course. Just go to the library and ask for the books on telepathy. I’m not sure which ones are still in circulation, but the librarian will help you,” she told him with a small smile. “If all else fails, I’m sure Twilight or I can teach you easily enough,” she added.

“I’m not sure the newest member of our family will be happy to help me,” Blueblood muttered. “Not like she would’ve before that night. Still, I will ask if I must. Thank you, Auntie.”

“Of course nephew,” Celestia said, bending down to give him a light nuzzle. “I have all of eternity, so never worry that I don’t have time to listen to your problems should you need my help.”


So… Twilight put down her plate and looked at Daphne.

Yes? she asked, crunching on some of the kindling she had asked for.

You need to eat meat, right? The Delphox nodded. And your entire world is populated by Pokémon?

Yes…? Daphne replied, not sure what she was getting at.

So to eat meat you need to… to eat another intelligent creature? Twilight asked, sounding disgusted by the notion.

I’m not sure I understand why that’s such a problem. It’s just the way things are, Daphne explained.

But if they’re intelligent as well then you’re denying an entirely new perspective of the world from ever being heard! Twilight protested. Not to mention that in Equestria it would be considered murder and cannibalism, but even if we don’t go into the morality of it, it’s wasteful!

Daphne took that in before chuckling. Things really are different here. It’s hardly easy to attack and kill another Pokémon, she said. if you’re lucky, you walk away injured. More often than not, you end up bleeding out after a Bibarel gets lucky and manages to disembowel you.

Still... the idea is disturbing, Twilight said, looking a bit green. It reminds me of what the griffins used to do... or at least a part of it.

And we don’t consider it murder. If anything, it ensures that only the strongest members of a species survive and pass on their traits. Not to mention that by eating them it ensures that nothing goes to waste. We’re very environmentally friendly that way, the Delphox explained with a slight smile, slightly enjoying returning a bit of suffering to the mare. After all, if no-one ate them, Bidoofs and Zubats would overrun the world and then where would we be?

Constantly stepping in potholes and drained of our blood, Gabrielle answered, a soft smile touching her face. I imagine that the casualty rate would be astounding.

But… you’re still killing them, Twilight mumbled.

Do you hold it against the other races here that need to eat meat? They are only doing what they must to survive, Daphne explained. We’re not all that different. If anything, all Pokémon being capable of higher thought means that we understand what it means, how much it can affect others. We do not hunt for sport, and we only kill when necessary.

It still feels wrong.

Then I’m afraid we simply have different definitions for right and wrong, Daphne replied as she chewed on her fish. And personally, I feel as if it isn’t your place to judge us considering that you are not of our world. She looked up from her fish to give Twilight a hard look before she blew on the fish, the heat crisping it a bit more, before she continued eating.

To hold us by your standards is foolish. Princess Cadenza learned that, Gabrielle pointed out.

I... I’m sorry, Twilight said, looking down. This is just... new to me. I don’t mean to seem close minded it’s just... different.

I doubt that this will be last of the differences between us, Gabrielle said calmly. As long as we explain things like this, though, I can’t see it being that much of a problem, she added with a gentle smile.

I suppose as long as you don’t hurt anypony, it doesn’t really matter, the alicorn said, giving them a smile of her own.

Author's Note:

Damn, I didn't realise the colour I was using for Luna was gonna be so similar to Twilight's. It's not too hard to make out, right?

And the Blue and Orange Morality seems like something that has to be pointed out, personally.