• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 5,062 Views, 363 Comments

Pokémon: X-traordinary - Speven Dillberg



Six Pokémon and their trainer in Equestria (Spoilers for Pokémon X/Y)

  • ...
12
 363
 5,062

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Xavier leaned against the train carriage’s wall, watching the scenery flow by while Gabrielle did the same in between sips from a tea cup held in both hands to keep it stable.

It’s like the Magnet Train, only a lot slower, Daphne mused.

“They don’t have maglev here yet,” Xavier pointed out. The man had opted to simply wear a pair of jeans and a simple grey shirt.

To be honest, I prefer it, Gabrielle said as she stared out the window. It allows you to really appreciate the scenery.

What, you mean the snow that gave way to grass? Daphne shot back snidely. Oh yes, so exciting.

Xavier just rolled his eyes, deciding to just let them argue. He knew that they would stop before they said anything really hurtful, and he just wanted to spend a few moments in quiet as he went over everything that had happened. Glancing at the rest of his team, he couldn’t help but smile at the sight of Luca curled up like a little Riolu on top of Blaster’s shell, breathing slowly as he slept. It was completely at odds with just how dangerous he could be.

His eyes traveled to the other part of the car where Amp and Razor were sitting across from each other in the midst of what appeared to be a silent staring contest. With a slow, calculated movement, Amp moved a hand forwards and nudged a bishop across the board.

Razor stared at the chessboard for a moment, taking in the position of the pieces. With a huff he nodded, acknowledging the Ampharos’s checkmate and his defeat. The bird then gave Amp an annoyed glance and tapped a wing on the board, signifying the wish for another round. It was a matter of honour.

As Amp rearranged the board, the compartment’s door opened. The tallest alicorn, Princess Luna, stepped in, and glanced around. Her gaze paused on the chess players, her expression momentarily shifting to one of confusion. Then the mare shook her head, choosing not to question it as she walked forwards. Hello, Xavier, she said calmly, communicating through telepathy. Can we talk?

The man glanced at Gabrielle. “Hey, Gabby?” he asked.

Yes? she asked, raising a hand at Daphne to make her stop arguing for a moment,

“She wants to talk to me,” he gestured at the pony, “do you think you could - ”

But I thought you didn’t like doing that? she questioned.

“That’s not important,” the man said, waving away her concerns.

Very well, if you insist.

Xavier let out a short scream as a part of his brain that shouldn’t be manipulated was.

Are you okay!?

He turned to the princess, who was looking at him in shock. I’m okay. I’m okay. Just need a few moments to adjust… all right. You wanted to talk? he asked calmly, straightening himself up.

If I had known it would cause you this much pain, I wouldn’t have, Luna admitted. But yes, there are a few things that must be discussed.

Okay. Um, do you want to have a seat? he asked, realising that despite his age he had no idea how to act around actual royalty.

Thank you. Luna took a seat across the aisle, laying on the chair and taking up the entire thing. Now, as I said, there are a few things to discuss. The first is your guide.

The translator, right, he replied. What about it?

Several candidates have stepped forward, and my sister has decided it would be best to let you decide which will travel with you, Luna explained. Do you have any objections with that?

No, not at all. Though it would be more up to my team than me, Xavier admitted. After all, Daphne and Gabrielle will be the ones communicating with them the most.

True. Still, I will let my sister know that you will be choosing from the candidates. Next, your conduct.

What about my conduct? he asked, sounding offended.

Hopefully, it won’t be a problem, Luna said placatingly, but the nobility is stuck in their ways, and won’t listen to anyone who is not on an equal or higher standing. The only reason they listen to the guards is because they speak with our authority, she grumbled.

Xavier smirked. The fact that I’m a Grand Duke should sway them, right? he asked.

Luna’s eyes widened. Yes, that… that should hold some power over them. Why did you not mention that you possessed such a title in the first place?

It’s hardly been relevant the past… seventy, eighty years, he admitted. You spend all that time travelling, the only thing that matters is being able to get enough food and finding a good campsite.

I can see how that would take a back seat to more immediate concerns, she conceded. Still, you should expect a lot of poorly-concealed contempt to come from our nobility... they hardly respect me, and that was only after I ‘suggested’ the seizure of their estates due to forgotten back taxes.

I think I’ll let Daphne do the talking, he smirked. I’d like to see them act all high and mighty when they’re on fire.

As much as I would like to see that, Luna admitted, I would have to advise against that course of action. The Guards are rather strict about enforcing the ‘no setting the nobles on fire unless they really deserve it’ rule. And even then, it’s only allowed in controlled bursts.

Xavier laughed. Oh, don’t worry, Daphne is pretty good at making people think they’re on fire. There won’t be a single mark on them.

Luna laughed as well, though it was more of a short chuckle then a full belly laugh. I like you, she said with a small smile. However, I suggest keeping such mental manipulation to a minimum. If they kick up too much of a stink, my sister and I will never hear the end of it.

Okay. Anything else?

As you are a visitor and undoubtedly have none of our money, I have decided to gift you with several thousand bits. That may seem like a lot, but there are seven of you, and you will be needing it for accommodations and food.

Xavier frowned. What if we want or need more money?

This may seem degrading, but, have you considered performing? Luna suggested. You and your team are so exotic that I am sure many would happily pay to see them.

I suppose a few exhibition fights wouldn’t be a bad thing, the man thought. Let them work out their stress.

I had meant simply as exhibits... but I can see your idea working, Luna said with a small frown. Though you would most likely have to obtain a permit of some kind. Knowing what my sister has done to our law books over the past thousand years I would not be surprised.

Yeah, if you want to let your Pokémon battle in a town or city, you usually need to go to a designated area or a stadium for that, he explained.

Hmm, well I’m sure my sister or I can expedite your request for a permit at any rate, Luna stated before frowning. However, if circumstances force you to seek other employment, what would you do? You are an immortal being after all, and I doubt you will be content ‘performing’ forever.

I’ve been a research assistant, actor, personal trainer, region champion, cook, explorer… A lot of things, really. I’ll find something.

Luna raised an eyebrow slightly at the long list, but nodded. Very well, I simply wanted to make sure that you would not turn to crime or something of that nature, no offense, she replied. Being immortal does tend to skew one’s views of morality when it comes to something as simple as stealing for survival.

Luca would punch me if I ever did that, Xavier said with a chuckle. Takes that kind of thing seriously.

He does? Luna asked, glancing over at the sleeping Lucario. Does he follow a code of honour, like a knight?

Sort of. He’s not above gouging eyes in fights though. The man shuddered. That is always unpleasant.

I see. An admirable tactic if the fight is deserving of it, the mare replied with a nod. War is not made for the squeamish after all.

There hasn’t been a war in centuries. Pokémon battles are usually sanctioned events. There are rules and regulations. He’s nearly gotten us disqualified a few times because he’s been perfectly happy stooping to levels like that. He shot a glare at Luca’s sleeping form. The last thing any trainer wants is to see any member their team permanently injured.

Ah, Luna stated with a slight frown. I was unaware. Pray do not take my words as encouragement of such behavior upon a non-lethal field of combat. I do not endorse such things.

Neither does the International Battle Council. The fines are ridiculous.

Are you talking about that time Luca took out that Charizard with his spikes? Daphne asked, butting in to the conversation. How much were you fined again?

At least a million, Xavier replied.

That seems… exorbitant.

The fines covers medical bills, rehabilitation, legal fees, counselling if it’s needed… the man listed off, counting each item on a finger. They take it very seriously.

Just... what did he do to this ‘Charizard’? Luna inquired with a raised eyebrow. Also, what is a Charizard?

Gouged an eye and mangled a wing. As for what a Charizard is… Xavier reached into his pocket and pulled out a strange, red book. He opened it and slid his finger on the inside surface a few times. Suddenly, an image was projected from within of an orange dragon-like figure, the tip of its tail ablaze. That’s a Charizard.

Luna’s mouth opened in surprise. He gouged the eye of a dragon out? However did he manage such a feat?

Luca can move fast, Xavier said. And he refused to elaborate any further.

Hmm... I see, Luna stated with a small nod. Well, if nothing else, I know not to underestimate his speed. Not that I was before now.

There was a sudden screech and the sound of pieces of plastic hitting the floor. Razor had decided to flip the board after losing again. He looked ready to tear out Amp’s throat. Amp just smiled smugly at him.

“Here we go,” Xavier muttered, rolling his eyes. Excuse me, he said to Luna before standing up.

Is this a normal occurrence? the alicorn asked Daphne.

Between those two? Daphne asked as she watched Xavier stop Amp and Razor from fighting on the train. Yes. Razor fancies himself as some tactical genius, but he wouldn’t know strategy if it plucked him bare. Amp, however… Well, there’s a reason the rest of us refuse to play against him if the game lets him sit and think.

Well then, I wonder who will win a match between him and Twilight... She is rather good at chess as well, Luna said with a small chuckle.

The pair sat and watched as Xavier got between the pair and pushed them apart.


Celestia waited calmly at the castle’s platform for the train carrying her sister, her former student and the seven guests. Although she would never admit it, she was incredibly curious. The reports from Twilight, no matter how detailed, could not possibly relay as much as seeing them with one’s own eyes.

As the Crystal Empire’s steam engine pulled up, though, she found herself marvelling at it instead. It was unique, as the crystal ponies did not build or construct like other ponies. Instead, they willed crystal formations to grow into the shapes they needed or wanted. When asked for a train, the result was an incredibly aerodynamic engine that sparkled like a star in the waning light of the day. Admittedly, it had a predatory feel to it, but its elegance made it easy for her to ignore.

The door to the carriages opened as the engine hissed, steam billowing around the platform. As it dissipated, Celestia smiled. “Sister, it’s so good to see you again,” she said.

“Likewise, dear sister,” Luna replied, nuzzling the white alicorn’s neck. “It has been an interesting trip.”

“I can imagine. Ah, Twilight!” Celestia exclaimed when the third alicorn stepped off. “It’s so good to see you again.”

“It’s so good to see you too, Prin - ” The purple pony facehoofed. “Sorry. Force of habit.”

“It’s okay, Twilight,” Celestia said warmly. “I don’t expect you to break the habit of a lifetime in a few short months. If it helps, replace the word ‘Princess’ with something else you wouldn’t say. Like...”

“Fat,” Luna suggested.

“Should I be concerned about how easily that came to mind?” Celestia asked her sister with a raised eyebrow.

“Not my fault you can’t help yourself, sister,” Luna taunted. “The dessert cart is for everypony, after all.”

Celestia snorted and rolled her eyes in amusement. “Where are our guests? I wish to greet them.” All of a sudden one of the carriages began to shake. Luna raised an eyebrow, while Twilight began to mutter to herself.

Every window of the carriage then exploded outwards, showering the area in broken glass. Amp, you idiot! they heard in their heads, the words broadcasted freely for everyone to hear. We told you not to taunt him!

“And I thought Xavier had that under control,” Luna muttered.

Ow! Dammit Razor! We agreed on this a long time ago; no beaks!

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Well, this should be an interesting day. I can already tell,” she declared.

“Oh, you have no idea,” Luna replied.