• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 5,063 Views, 363 Comments

Pokémon: X-traordinary - Speven Dillberg



Six Pokémon and their trainer in Equestria (Spoilers for Pokémon X/Y)

  • ...
12
 363
 5,063

Chapter 13

13

“So…”

I’m as lost as you are, Gabrielle admitted.

“How long has it been since we were at something like this?” Xavier asked, looking around at the various nobles milling around the garden party. Apart from the large number of ponies, there were also a small number of griffons, what looked like a Taurus walking around on its hind legs, and what looked like an off-colour Mightyena with a Lucario’s body shape.

Must be centuries now, the Gardevoir admitted. You got barred from any of the events the Kalosian ‘nobility’ had after Daphne downed twenty bottles of wine.

“Still have no idea how she did that. Seriously, where did it all go?” he asked as he sipped at his wine glass.

The wine boiled away when it hit her throat, so she was getting smashed off of the fumes, she explained.

“How did she not kill herself?”

She won’t say… she said, looking over to where Luca, Amp and Daphne were standing, at the edge of the party.


“Now I remember why I pulled that stunt,” Daphne groaned.

“Yeah, these ‘parties’ really are boring,” Luca agreed. “At least the food’s good.”

Amp looked up from the plate he was mashing against his face, to get the food into his mouth faster. “Wha waj dat abow food?” he asked, spraying crumbs everywhere.

Daphne couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “Oh, nothing. What were you eating anyway?”

“Some kind of tart. It tasted a bit like Cheri berries,” he explained before cramming his face full of food again.

Daphne sighed. “I guess I may as well see what there is to eat. Luca, you want anything?”

The Lucario shrugged. “I don’t really care. It should all be good. Just bring enough for Mister Grumpig here,” he added, gesturing at the still-eating Amp.

“Hey, I’m not a Grumpig,” the sheep-like Pokemon objected. “I’’m an Ampharos.”

“I… I know that, Amp,” Luca replied awkwardly. “I wasn’t being serious.”

“Oh.” The Ampharos shrugged before turning to Daphne. “Can you bring me some of those little pies? I don’t really care which ones.”

“Sure.” Daphne pushed her way through the crowd, musing how much easier it would be to just levitate herself over them instead. Still, she didn’t want to seem impolite, and it wasn’t as though any of the ponies would attack her.

As she walked, she noticed a strange being, a bit like a Mightyena standing upright, staring at her as she walked past him. Smirking, she began to exaggerate her walk, swinging her hips around and swishing her tail. She had to contain her laughter when she heard him start choking on his drink, though she allowed herself a satisfied smirk. She always enjoyed getting those kinds of reactions out of people and Pokemon alike. It didn’t hurt that the wolf-like creature was handsome, in a savage way... though sadly he wasn’t her type.

As she approached the food table, she saw that most if not all of it was vegetarian. “So they throw us a party, but the catering doesn’t suit us?” she asked quietly. “That’s just ridiculous.” Still, she levitated a plate and began piling it up with whatever was in telekinetic reach.

As she piled up a few plates, each one floating her telekinesis, she noticed a presence behind her. Fully expecting some arrogant blowhard, she turned around slowly. What she saw was a white stallion, tapping his hoof against the ground nervously.

May I help you? Daphne asked curiously.


Blueblood watched as the fox-like one, Daphne, sauntered across the lawn. When her walk and posture suddenly turned seductive, though, he lost control of his jaw. It caught him completely off-guard, and he needed several moments for his brain to start functioning properly.

Now he was more nervous than ever. His aunt had told him of what these ‘Pokemon’ had claimed to have accomplished and this demigoddess, if the words had all been truthful, possessed terrifying power. He never would have thought someone like that would act that way.

He wiped at his brow as he realised he was sweating. That couldn’t do, he was descended from both the lines of the ancient kings of Unicornia and Princess Celestia herself. To be caught sweating at the idea of talking to a female was unthinkable. And yet, here he was, doing just that.

He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. If this failed, then he would be forced to associate with them for even longer. He just wanted all that sordid business put behind him. He knew that he could ask the other one, but he looked too threatening. It was a risky enough idea as it was, but with him it would be nigh-impossible. It had to be her.

He walked over to her, but had failed to realise how intimidating her presence was up close. He could feel the gentle waves of heat coming off of her, making him sweat even harder. She pulsed with power and strength, poise and grace. When she turned around, he gulped. May I help you?

He stammered for a few seconds before remembering that she wouldn’t understand a word he said. Breathing in deeply, he tried to remember what the book on telepathy had said. A-a pleasure to meet you, Lady Daphne. I was hoping w-we could discuss a few things.

Daphne stared at him for a few moments. Great, you’re one of them, aren’t you? she asked disdainfully. Leave me alone, she added, turning back to the food she was gathering.

I assume by ‘them’ you mean the self-important blowhards that only care about bettering their social standing while throwing everyone else under the wagon, Blueblood retorted, his confidence returning as his disgust for the notion flared. I assure you, I am nothing like that.

Right, the Delphox replied flatly, not even bothering to turn around. And why should I believe you?

Blueblood blinked. He realised that he had no proof or evidence, only his words. He knew he couldn’t get very far with just that, though. Well, as Princess Celestia’s nephew, and a prince myself, I don’t need to worry about bettering my social standing, he pointed out.

A little hard to be impressed with minor royalty when I’ve faced gods, Daphne retorted.

That wasn’t my point, Blueblood replied, steely determination filling his mental voice. My point is that you don’t need to worry about me jerking you around like a puppet so that others can laugh at or mock you. In short... you can trust me, and I need your help.

Daphne turned to look down at him. So is that all I am? A tool to be discarded when you are done using me? she asked imperiously. Choose your next words very carefully, she warned.

What? No! Blueblood protested. I… Let me explain everything from the start, okay? If you want nothing to do with it, then I will leave you alone.

Daphne looked at him. Fine. Speak your piece.

Blueblood took in a deep breath as he launched into his explanation. He was glad that he could communicate telepathically, and that he only had enough experience to broadcast it solely to the Delphox. What surprised him was how much effort it took. When he was done, he was mopping at his face with a sweat-soaked handkerchief.

Well… I can see why you came to me. But why can’t Luca do this? Daphne asked.

He… he seems too… unpredictable, Blueblood explained. That, and they… they expect him to be dangerous, in some way. They know nothing about you.

So now you’re saying I don’t look dangerous? the Delphox replied, her tone making it clear she felt insulted.

I never said that, the unicorn replied calmly. Just that they think all you can do are party tricks.

Daphne snorted, a stream of black smoke shooting out of her nostrils. Party tricks? Oh, this is gonna be fun.

So… Will you help me?

It’ll be worth it just to see the looks on their faces when they realise how badly they’ve underestimated me, the Delphox replied. How can I pass up a chance like this?

Blueblood sighed. Thank you. I’ll… I’ll find you later to discuss more details.

Of course. Now, I should have been back with this food a few minutes ago, she said. Goodbye, Blueblood.

Blueblood nodded as the Delphox returned to the Lucario and Ampharos. He wore a small smile, but inside he was dancing around like a foal and cheering at the top of his voice. He almost couldn’t believe it had worked. Now he just needed everything else to fall into place...


Xavier’s ears perked up when he heard music. “Is that…?”

We haven’t danced in years, Gabrielle noted. Do you think we could…?

Xavier chuckled and grabbed her by the wrist. “Come on, Gabby, you think you need to ask?”

Never hurts to be sure, the Gardevoir pointed out as she followed along to the dance floor.

“It’s been a long time, and I’m a bit drunk…” the trainer said nervously as they stood at the edge.

It’s a slow song, don’t worry, Gabrielle said, smiling at the man. Just put your hand on my hip. There was a brief pause where she started glaring at him. I said ‘hip’, Xavier, she added flatly. Save that for later.


“Where are Blaster and Razor, anyway?” Luca asked.

“Razor said he felt like he was scaring them,” Daphne replied, picking up a small pie.

“And I don’t?”

“You saw that Mightyena on two legs before? They’ve been in contact with them for centuries. In a way, they’re used to us.” She took a bite. “Thish ish good.”

“The food at these events typically is,” the Lucario agreed, taking a bite from his own.

Behind them Amp lay on the ground, rubbing his stomach. “I made a bad decision…” he groaned as he rubbed his swollen belly. Around him lay a number of scattered plates, each one covered in crumbs and colourful smears.

“That doesn’t explain where Blaster is,” Luca said, ignoring the Ampharos and his pain.

“You know how much he eats. He’d need an entire table of this finger food to himself.” Behind her Amp groaned again. “Oh shut up, you have no-one to blame but yourself.”

“But it was so gooooood…” the Ampharos moaned.

“Just be thankful you didn’t drink any wine.” Daphne paused to focus on him. “You… didn’t drink any wine, did you?” she asked nervously.

“I remember what happened last time, Daphne,” Amp replied. “Don’t worry. I learned my lesson. I didn’t even know I could throw up lightning bolts.”

Luca chuckled. “Oh, I remember that.”

Amp managed to sit up and glared at the Lucario. “It’s not funny. How would you feel if you suddenly had no control over your aura powers?” he asked. The Lucario’s face fell. “Exactly. The worst thing was worrying if I was going to hurt anyone by accident.”

“Really? It wasn’t the convulsing violently on the ground as you spat lightning like a Bellsprout spits seeds?” Daphne asked sceptically. “Because that looked pretty painful, if I remember right.”

“Well, it was,” Amp conceded. “But I’ve been punched so hard it fractured some of my vertebrae and I lost all feeling in my left arm for a week. I can deal with pain fine. But the idea of someone getting injured because of my stupidity?” he asked. “It’s not one I like.”

Daphne nodded. She had always made sure that her fire and fury was directed at either those she was fighting or those who had done something to deserve it. Hurting those who weren’t involved was not something she ever wanted to do.

Luca just calmly ate another pie. “It’s not like I’ll ever know what that’s like, though. Can’t get drunk,” he pointed out.

“Yes, we’re all in awe of your mighty ‘super sober’ powers,” Daphne retorted sarcastically.

“I would actually like to get drunk once,” he pointed out.

“It’s not that fun,” Amp said, lying back down. “Everyone makes a big deal about it, but in the end you do something stupid and wake up feeling like you just died.”

“Or got caught under a herd of stampeding Rapidash,” Daphne added. “Either way, hangovers suck.” For some reason, this caused Luca to snicker slightly. “Oh shut up.”

“What’s so funny?” Amp asked.

“Don’t. Ask,” the Delphox growled. “If Luca knows what’s good for him he’ll shut up as well.”

The Lucario rolled his eyes as both her temper and body temperature flared. “We’ve all done embarrassing things, Daphne,” he said, ignoring the obvious increase in temperature. “But fine, I won’t tell anyone about that.”

“Thank you.”

“Now I really want to know…” the Ampharos complained. But he had the sense to not push the issue any further.

Author's Note:

Just what is this Blueblood has in mind?
By 'throwing up' lightning bolts, it's more akin to completely losing control of the ability.
And the realities of competitive Pokemon battling are horrifying.

Also, Blueblood can be a great character, whether you're portraying him as a complete royal brat who needs a kick up the pants, a decent guy who is actually perfectly nice, or anywhere in between. The problem is, people tend to make him a jerk, and go about it in the most BORING way possible. Give him reasons, give him motive, give him personality besides "I'm a jerk, and I want what I want". That's no fun to read.
Hell, this applies to every antagonistic character, really. It just seems that Blueblood gets hit with it worst.