• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,542 Views, 382 Comments

Out and About in the Equestrian Kingdom - Midnightshadow



Welcome to the future. Enjoy your neocortical upgrades, and why don't you try out our ponytrait system? A new you is waiting for you to take to your hooves!

  • ...
14
 382
 3,542

Epilogue

Out & About in the Equestrian Kingdom

by Midnight Shadow

Epilogue


I woke up, and shivered. Not because I was cold, but mainly as a kind of full-body yawn. My bed was empty, and as comfortable as it was, I couldn't quite let myself wallow in it all day. Especially not today, when I was finally expected back at work.

Things had been strained between us and our digital superiors immediately following 'the incident', as I was now calling it. The mood around the stables had been very reserved and tense the next day too, but not because of my actions. I'd rolled in during the early hours, sleep-deprived, dejected and emotionally wrecked, and had been immediately pulled in to my new herd and smothered with kindness until the hurt mostly went away.

The previous night, right after Rogers' death, I'd been put into a full physical and psychological eval. The powers that be, the fey, weren't trusting my own internal eigenstate vectors, nor my own assessment of my personality matrix. They pored through my entire psyche, even calling in an AI to replay my sensorum data, to check for remaining riders. I felt violated in the worst ways possible, by the worst person possible: Celestia.

I turned my back on Equestria there and then, at least for the time being. I understood why they did it, and I forcibly removed the memory of the actual procedures to give myself some peace of mind, but nothing can fully erase that kind of treatment. I'd had Darillo, who was seething with anger, do a full shakedown of my eigenwall the moment I was released to my own devices. I trusted nobody else in my head anymore. The only person I'd trusted… was dead.

There had been many tears shed that morning in the stables, but eventually they'd stopped. And we'd talked. And I'd decided to honour all our memories by carrying on. For my sake, for Oats' sake, and for Rogers'.

Dragging my butt out from under the covers, I all but slithered down the broad steps into the plush carpeting, throwing off my comforter behind me. I had to really, really fight the urge to roll around in the thick, warm shag as I did so; ever since completing my second conversion – swapping the old undercarriage for a caboose, as it were – I'd found I appreciated physical hedonism just that little bit more. I'd thought about adding my wings, but since I didn't want to be less of a noble steed – I had promised myself, after all – I stuck with just becoming a mare. Rogers had known, right from the start. He'd been more of a detective than he'd realized, I reasoned. Or maybe he'd just been more… Rogers, than I'd understood.

I had to say it, being a mare really did suit me better than being a stallion, though I hadn't totally ruled out switching back some time in the future. After a few years, maybe a foal or two. It all depended on whether I found the right stallion. I wasn't in a rush, it's not like I didn't have the time.

It had taken a month to get the plumbing right. Well, the actual physical changes were relatively quick, but the hormonal alterations took quite a bit longer to get used to. I was still eminently thankful for equine biology's innate improvements over baseline human traits, though I wasn't looking forwards to estrus without a more stable home situation, which wasn't exactly shaping up to be entirely conventional, not that 'conventional' is a word that has much meaning anymore. Thankfully it could be delayed, but not really avoided, not without further physical manipulations… and I wanted to be a proper mare.

That had been Rogers' fault too, I mused. He'd seen what I needed from the get-go. I had to admit, he'd nailed it. I'd been so hurt when he'd died, that for a few, long, dark hours, I'd considered hitting the reset button, but I couldn't do that to myself. I'd become me in our moment of need, true, but it hadn't been a hard decision. Undoing that would have been a crime, to both my memory, and to Rogers'.

I missed Rogers.

I could still, even now, remember the feeling of his lips on my poll. Sappy, I know, but you don't forget your first kiss. That was, after all, another reason not to linger in the bedroom - Rogers wasn't in it. So I headed to the small, combined kitchen slash dining room of our apartment.

Where he was.

"Hey, girl," he called, deftly putting a thumb to the towel around his waist as he put down his coffee mug. Having just gotten out of the shower, he was almost entirely naked, other than the aforementioned towel… and his ever-present hat. It was a new hat, of course, and he had been complaining incessantly about how it didn't fit his head right, and about how his new head didn't fit his hat. Or his boots. Or his pants. More than once, I'd told him to just go naked. He'd given me a wicked grin every time. And more than once had done just that.

Yep. Unconventional. That was us.

I'd worked it out the next day. I wasn't really sure why it hadn't been an automatic thing. Probably because he was now listed as a subversive, and was without any real next of kin. He'd even said it himself, though, so I'd kicked myself for waiting as long as I had before rushing to the memory bank and demanding that the latest full, coherent backup be relifed as soon as inhumanly possible.

Remember all his yesterdays, indeed. I'd screamed so loud that if they didn't relife him then and there that I'd dump his cognitive matrix into my own that I'm half convinced they expedited the exception agreement just to get rid of me.

He'd taken close to a month to mature too, though he'd been decanted almost the same day. By the time he came out of the tank, the both of us were ready for what lay ahead. Or we'd thought we were.

I still had to train him on the proper use of coasters.

"Under the mug! They go under the mug!" I hollered, bounding up to him and head-butting. He held one hand out, forefinger up.

"After the first cup of coffee. No talking until after."

I only bit him gently, stealing the towel before preparing to flick it. I didn't want him going back into the trait tank from a hot coffee burn in a difficult to explain place, after all.

"Hey, no fair!" he complained, lunging for me, though I danced out the way, leaving him impotently twisting to cover his remaining dignity.

"Nof falffin' unfil affer foffee, foo faid. Mafe meef foffee foo!" I said, and whip-cracked the towel held resolutely in my muzzle.

He saluted, a wicked grin in his eyes as he straightened. "Yes ma'am!"

~ * FIN * ~

Author's Note:

You know, there's a lot more I tell in this universe. It's a fun one. It's a complicated one. It's surprisingly hard to write for to get the feel right. I hope you had fun reading it, sorry for the long wait. I hope I surprised you just a teensy bit, at least, in where I went and how I got there.

Maybe I'll revisit the whole crew another time, eh? Or maybe some other brave soul will take a stab at it...